Is now the time to remove OJ Simpson from the wall of fame and HOF?

Beast

Is now the time to remove OJ Simpson's name from the wall?  

296 members have voted

1. 1. Remove OJ?

He accomplished a lot during his time with the Bills, and was acquitted of all charges in LA. He was sent to jail for trying to get back HIS things. He earned his place on the wall and in the hall. He should stay there.

21 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

If murder bothered you that much you would have thought twice about changing your avatar to a person who openly supported the actions of Fidel Castro.  Your posts in this thread, given that picture are ironic to say the least. 

Which actions of Castro did Kaep support?  I think Kaep mentioned that Castro/Cuba made great strides with regard to education ... and that was it.  (it is also true)

And Colin Kaepernick is responsible for exactly zero human deaths.  He refused to stand for a ***** song.  OJ Simpson turned his ex-wife into a human Pez dispenser and murdered her friend.

But yeah ... let's call them equal.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Your question is "Remove OJ?  Keep OJ?" and the choices are yes or no.  It's way too early in the morning for riddles.

I'll vote when it's framed properly.  But my vote is to remove him from the wall immediately.

The Hall of Fame is full of scumbags.  I personally don't care what they do.  But the Pegulas should have some class and get his ass off of that wall so they stop celebrating a murderer.

Yeah, that was an error in my part. It does look confusing but I think most people are getting it....Yes, remove. No, don't remove.

Maybe one of the mods could change it?

Edited by Beast
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Which actions of Castro did Kaep support?  I think Kaep mentioned that Castro/Cuba made great strides with regard to education ... and that was it.  (it is also true)

And Colin Kaepernick is responsible for exactly zero human deaths.  He refused to stand for a ***** song.  OJ Simpson turned his ex-wife into a human Pez dispenser and murdered her friend.

But yeah ... let's call them equal.

My point is Kaep, and now you support a murderous person, not because of his murdering but because of his strides in education (which is beyond ridiculous by the way) while wanting to remove a murderous person from a wall of fame which he earned because of his prowess in playing football.

To recap, its ok to laud what Castro did for education in Cuba despite him being a murderous dictator, but not ok to laud O.J's football achievements despite him being a murderer.   I wasn't saying Kaep himself killed anyone, what I was saying is your support of he and Castro is laughably ironic given the topic of this thread.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

My point is Kaep, and now you support a murderous person, not because of his murdering but because of his strides in education (which is beyond ridiculous by the way) while wanting to remove a murderous person from a wall of fame which he earned because of his prowess in playing football.

To recap, its ok to laud what Castro did for education in Cuba despite him being a murderous dictator, but not ok to laud O.J's football achievements despite him being a murderer.   I wasn't saying Kaep himself killed anyone, what I was saying is your support of he and Castro is laughably ironic given the topic of this thread.

There is a difference between acknowledgement and support/celebration.

I can easily acknowledge that OJ Simpson is the greatest running back in Buffalo Bills history.  I can also acknowledge that Charlie Manson wrote a few good songs and had a nice voice.  I can also acknowledge that the education system under Castro showed great improvements in his country.

I'd never support or celebrate Manson or Castro.  And I feel the same way about Simpson for the same reason.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I can easily acknowledge that OJ Simpson is the greatest running back in Buffalo Bills history.  I can also acknowledge that Charlie Manson wrote a few good songs and had a nice voice.  I can also acknowledge that the education system under Castro showed great improvements in his country.

I'd never support or celebrate Manson or Castro.  And I feel the same way about Simpson for the same reason.

Well said.   I still disagree with a few points, especially the one about the National Anthem being just a song, but I do see your overall point more clearly. 

Agree to disagree and thank you for the discourse.

• Thank you (+1) 1

OJ’s legacy is destroyed. Most people will never remember what a great and important RB he was during his generation and that is HIS fault and no one else’s. But you can’t take away with what he did on the football field because of the choices he made during his post football career. If we take OJ down then the Giants should take LT down because of his prolific drug use and the fact that he had sex with a minor. 

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

You get on the Wall based on your on-the-field body of work, not being a great person. You shouldn't get that revoked for the opposite. Whatever a player does off the field doesn't change their sports career, only perception of them as a person. If OJ was involved in a murder trial while he was still playing, yeah he's not going up on the Wall. But he's already there & one of the best RBs of all time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

History tells us that not all people that did great things were great people !! That being said you will never change history and it should be recognized for what it was at that time and if so used for good as a tool to change the future .

No matter if you strike him from the wall it's not going to change what he did good or bad !

My very first memories of loving the game of football was watching OJ he was at that time a football hero then when his trial and all was playing out on TV i didn't want to believe that this could be true and has in my heart tarnished the memory of what he did on the field as a Bills fan .

Now when ever any one talks about him i want the subject to change because no matter how great of a player he was, no matter how many firsts he did the later actions in his life will always cast a shadow over his career and life .

That being said there are people now and from the past that will be held in a higher regard by some than others (due to personal views of that person) but their individual history could over shadow the good they did if some choose to focus on the bad of that persons life . 

I'm not sure about OJ's name on the wall no matter what his legacy will remain the same it's just we as Bills fans won't see it and his part of Bills history will still be part of Bills history and when we talk of OJ (and we will) it will still be there . 

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

He is not in the HOF and on The Wall because he was a choir boy...

He's there because he was a hell of a football player.

He needs to stay.

He was a hell of a football player. One of the best ever.

Let me ask you this...if OJ killed his first wife (or was suspected of doing so and acquitted under the same circumstances) in November if 1977, while he was still a Buffalo Bill but he still accomplished what he had done, would you be calling for his name to go  on the wall or for him to be enshrined in the HOF?

Is there a difference? I mean, those murders were not connected to his in the field performance.

Edited by Beast
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What’s wrong with Charlie?

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Simpson was never convicted of murder, nor has he confessed to it. If he was smart he would have been suing for libel and taking people's trading cards.

One likes to think truth will out. The truths I can point to is: 2003 yards, All-Pro. Eliminating yesterday's truth on the whims of today is so 2020.

I would see some validity to your post except for the truth that he lost the civil case for wrongfully killing 2 people. 

3 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

I feel his body of work speaks for itself as a Buffalo Bill. He is a HOF player. He was involved in a horrible situation in California & Las Vegas was in high profile trials and even went to prison on a serious charge. Best case you can say he made some really bad decisions. Worst case you can say he’s a murderer that got away with a horrific crime. My take is I would keep his name there as part of history. If the Football HOF Decided to remove him then there would be a strong sediment to follow suit. 

I wouldn't describe them as situations exactly. The word situation implies that he was not the one who instigated the events that occurred in both situations. 

19 minutes ago, 947 said:

You get on the Wall based on your on-the-field body of work, not being a great person. You shouldn't get that revoked for the opposite. Whatever a player does off the field doesn't change their sports career, only perception of them as a person. If OJ was involved in a murder trial while he was still playing, yeah he's not going up on the Wall. But he's already there & one of the best RBs of all time.

But why is there a difference? He doesn't go on the wall if he is involved in that trial late in his career or even right after his career?

If he doesn't deserve those honors in those scenarios, why does he now?

It will always amaze me that people want action taken on a man found Not Guilty....not a hung jury...NOT GUILTY. You know what that means? ALL 12 JURORS VOTED NOT GUILTY. Yes 12 out of 12. How can you justify removing a man on the basis he did something that he proved he didnt? Whether he actually did it or not doesnt matter. You cant go assume he did based on some personal opinion or even the court of public opinion. He was found not guilty in a real court!!!

Attempting to take your stuff back from a bunch of scumbags in Vegas was illegal cause of how he did it but that crime isnt worthy of removal. Nobody was hurt and it was property that belonged (whether past or current at that time) to him. Any sensible person could understand his actions on that day minus the guns his friends brought.

OJ should always remain. He is a top 3 RB in history and best Bills RB ever. Thats what we celebrate. Are we really gonna have a lifetime disciplinary action system for players we put on the wall?

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, StHustle said:

It will always amaze me that people want action taken on a man found Not Guilty....not a hung jury...NOT GUILTY. You know what that means? ALL 12 JURORS VOTED NOT GUILTY. Yes 12 out of 12. How can you justify removing a man on the basis he did something that he proved he didnt? Whether he actually did it or not doesnt matter. You cant go assume he did based on some personal opinion or even the court of public opinion. He was found not guilty in a real court!!!

Attempting to take your stuff back from a bunch of scumbags in Vegas was illegal cause of how he did it but that crime isnt worthy of removal. Nobody was hurt and it was property that belonged (whether past or current at that time) to him. Any sensible person could understand his actions on that day minus the guns his friends brought.

OJ should always remain. He is a top 3 RB in history and best Bills RB ever. Thats what we celebrate. Are we really gonna have a lifetime disciplinary action system for players we put on the wall?

Yup. No disrespect to Eric Dickerson and his 2,105 yards in 1984 but the real single season rushing record is OJ's 2,003 yards in just 14 games in 1973.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.