ESPN’s 4 round NFL re-draft

Billl

What if every NFL team had a complete do-over in building its roster? What if every single player were a free agent? What if the worst team in the league had a chance to add a Super Bowl MVP at quarterback? Or one of the worst defensive teams out there was able to plop a two-time Defensive Player of the Year in the middle of its front?

Well, let's find out. We hit reset on NFL contracts and released every player to the open market. Then we gave our NFL Nation reporters the GM job, allowing them to re-draft the foundations for their teams. Here are the rules:

• Every current NFL player is available, and salary caps don't matter here. But we only drafted four rounds.

• In those four picks, each pretend GM had to select a quarterback, a non-QB offensive player and a defensive player. The fourth pick was a wild card, open to anything.

• We used the 2020 NFL draft order, with traded picks reversed, and a snaking format.

• What about the other 20 starters for each team? The rest of the roster is made up of average-level NFL talent. Our analytics team identifies that as someone such as OT Donovan Smith, edge rusher Harold Landry III or CB Malcolm Butler.

• Each GM was asked to draft with intentions of winning a Super Bowl within five years. Some took a harder line, while others built a base that might still need a year or two.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29234387/re-drafting-nfl-picked-128-foundational-players-all-32-teams

• Like (+1) 1

It's a fun excercise but it's worthless to do it with QB's in the mix. There are at most 32 professional starting QB's in the NFL (probably closer to 25 really). Those 32 would go 1-32.

Suppose we're willing to ignore that, then some major issues: Brees at #8 ahead of the likes of Carson Wentz? Obviously better, but if this is day one, what team is going for the one year rental? 

Also, No surprise on Allen going mid-second. The media can't help themselves. He would really be in the top 15 in real life, undoubtedly. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

It's a fun excercise but it's worthless to do it with QB's in the mix. There are at most 32 professional starting QB's in the NFL (probably closer to 25 really). Those 32 would go 1-32.

Suppose we're willing to ignore that, then some major issues: Brees at #8 ahead of the likes of Carson Wentz? Obviously better, but if this is day one, what team is going for the one year rental? 

Also, No surprise on Allen going mid-second. The media can't help themselves. He would really be in the top 15 in real life, undoubtedly. 

22nd overall QB taken, and it was the Bills reporter who drafted him.  Herbert was 23rd.

That was an ugly draft all around, I love Wilson but him going top 3 seems weird. I assume it's done as a fantasy long term draft...you'd figure the older QB's may go later due to them retiring sooner than later

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Not necessarily. 

Check out the Bills and Patriots picks.

Pats:

#1 Darnold

#2 TJ Watt

Bills:

#1 Michael Thomas

#2 Josh Allen

I certainly wouldn't be picking Darnold at #23 overall if Allen is going to be available at #43 overall. 

4 hours ago, Monty98 said:

That was an ugly draft all around, I love Wilson but him going top 3 seems weird. I assume it's done as a fantasy long term draft...you'd figure the older QB's may go later due to them retiring sooner than later

He's not that old. I would definitely take him second overall. He's the only slam dunk guarantee great QB that still has at least six good years left at minimum but possibly 10 with the way the game is played now and QB's taking care of them selves.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

9 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Not necessarily. 

Check out the Bills and Patriots picks.

Pats:

#1 Darnold

#2 TJ Watt

Bills:

#1 Michael Thomas

#2 Josh Allen

I certainly wouldn't be picking Darnold at #23 overall if Allen is going to be available at #43 overall. 

He's not that old. I would definitely take him second overall. He's the only slam dunk guarantee great QB that still has at least six good years left at minimum but possibly 10 with the way the game is played now and QB's taking care of them selves.

But that’s the problem. No team would pick anyone other than a QB until they have picked a QB. I don’t care how good the other player is. If you don’t have a QB, you don’t have anything.

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

But that’s the problem. No team would pick anyone other than a QB until they have picked a QB. I don’t care how good the other player is. If you don’t have a QB, you don’t have anything.

I don’t agree.  Their are tiers of talent at QB and other positions.  Once the elite and near elite QBs are gone then other options are on the table.  There’s just not that big of a difference in what you’re getting in a QB at that point so why not get a young, premier player at DE, CB or WR?

16 hours ago, whatdrought said:

So you're taking the 32nd QB over the #1 WR, CB, DE, etc?

That's terrible roster building.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I don’t agree.  Their are tiers of talent at QB and other positions.  Once the elite and near elite QBs are gone then other options are on the table.  There’s just not that big of a difference in what you’re getting in a QB at that point so why not get a young, premier player at DE, CB or WR?

Say you pick with the 20th pick. Would you rather have: 

Josh Allen and Danielle Hunter 

or 

Nick Bosa and Nick Foles. 

Building a team always begins with the QB. If you don't have one, you forsake all other positions in an attempt to get one.

56 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

So you're taking the 32nd QB over the #1 WR, CB, DE, etc?

That's terrible roster building.

Every single time. If i have no players on my roster, I'm taking the very best QB available to me with my first pick.

No it isn't. We see this every year. Chase Young was a better prospect than Joe Burrow. When you don't have a QB, your first job is to fix that problem. 

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Say you pick with the 20th pick. Would you rather have: 

Josh Allen and Danielle Hunter 

or 

Nick Bosa and Nick Foles. 

Building a team always begins with the QB. If you don't have one, you forsake all other positions in an attempt to get one.

Every single time. If i have no players on my roster, I'm taking the very best QB available to me with my first pick.

No it isn't. We see this every year. Chase Young was a better prospect than Joe Burrow. When you don't have a QB, your first job is to fix that problem. 

I think you’re proving my point with your example, but I don’t want to go down the Allen debate path here.  If I am picking where the Rams are (20th) I’m taking Baker Mayfield.  Then I’m going after the best CB, Edge or WR with my next pick.

If I am picking in a spot where the best QBs are gone then that’s a different story.  If, say, 20 QBs are gone and I don’t see much of a difference between QB 21 and QB 26 then I’m going in a different direction.  At some point the only QBs on the board will be ones I expect to have to replace anyway , so why not shore up other positions with elite, young players?

The biggest problem with that mock is that they let the writers draft players on their own teams.  Lots of homer moves that don’t make sense.  They should not have allowed any players that was on a team in ‘19 or will be on a team in ‘20 to have been picked by that team. 

You are correct in general, get the best QB you can.  But there aren’t close to 32 QBs out there that you’d want to build a franchise around.  If you’re picking 31st or 32nd are you still taking a QB if 30 are off the board?

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Awesome! (+1) 1