Quarterback sneaks and Josh Allen stats

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I think it has to do with the risk of injury to QBs.  It’s not a high risk percentage wise, but it could be catastrophic in the rare event it happens.  Even having the QB pulled out for concussion evaluation would be an issue.  But Allen is so physically imposing that it would be a mistake not to use sneaks.   I’m happy that we employ it as much as we do, at least while Allen is young.  

That’s a fair concern for coaches indeed. Look at what happened to Mahomes on his 4th and 1 conversion, for example.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mickey said:

Unfortunately, stats like these don't count. Nor do QB rushing yards, wins, or 4th quarter comebacks. The only thing that matters is completion percentage, or so I have been told.

Passing yards.  Where are the 300 yd games?  Plus he ranks very low in "interceptable balls" whatever that means.

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think I might disagree here. It’s not some elite characteristic but if it was so simple it would just be the no brainer call for every team. I think there are certain qb’s that have a real knack for it and it can be an almost unstoppable weapon. Brady is a perfect example. 

https://sports.sites.yale.edu/success-short-yardage-play-types-fourth-down

The numbers say sneak the ball across the board 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

That’s a fair concern for coaches indeed. Look at what happened to Mahomes on his 4th and 1 conversion, for example.

it’s so rare though... 

• Like (+1) 1

Getting a forward surge from the interior linemen has a lot to do with creating the gaps for the QB to use on a successful sneak.  Brady has been very successful on sneaks and he has never been a strong athletic QB.  He was the beneficiary of great o-line play.  In Allen's case, he has been successful on poorly blocked sneaks due to his athletic ability and has made well blocked sneaks look easy.  Exposing your QB to free shots to the head, is not a long term strategy for success.  I'm hoping that the backs improve the inside running game to the point where Daboll has more reliable options.

5 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

as much as I love this, I'm hoping that Moss can take some of these 3rd and 1's from Allen this year.  Another weapon out there, and takes some potential beating off Allen.  

also, looks like a great job by the revamped OL in those situations last year.  

I hope so as well. But for my money, the greatest yard to go QB of all time is also the GOAT. Tom Brady. He's done it quite a few times even at his current age and I can't recall him ever not converting. 

I think Josh has a great chance of over taking the overall GOAT for the GOAT short yardage title. 

8 hours ago, Mickey said:

Unfortunately, stats like these don't count. Nor do QB rushing yards, wins, or 4th quarter comebacks. The only thing that matters is completion percentage, or so I have been told.

Actually it is YPA and TD/INT ratio that matter most if you are evaluating QB play.  Rush yards are an interesting stat for QBs. Some of the all time greats were great rushers - Tarkenton, Staubach, Young, Elway, and now Rodgers and Wilson come to mind.  Only time will tell if the dual threat QB will be the new modern QB.  Vick, RGIII, and now Jackson have all had great success early in their careers.  Will Lamar end up like RGIII?

Wins and 4th quarter comebacks have a great deal to do with QB play but are really team stats not individual stats.  

If we keep the QB sneak on 3rd or 4th and 1 as often was reported, it will be predictable by opposing defenses.  Look how BB noticed we didn’t roll our outside guys in for the Jets when they rushed 9 on a punt, then the Giants rushed 10 and we didn’t adjust, so when we faced the Pats, BB exposed us and they blocked our punt for a TD.  Now if we fake a sneak and throw occasionally just over the line of scrimmage to say Singletary would be fun and probably catch a team like the Pats off guard.

11 hours ago, NoSaint said:

https://sports.sites.yale.edu/success-short-yardage-play-types-fourth-down

The numbers say sneak the ball across the board 

it’s so rare though... 

Yeah - Power and zone plays have the potential to get blown up, especially with that many players along the LOS.  If you sneak on 3rd and 1 and don't get it - you're very likely at 4th and less than half a yard. 

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

If we keep the QB sneak on 3rd or 4th and 1 as often was reported, it will be predictable by opposing defenses.  Look how BB noticed we didn’t roll our outside guys in for the Jets when they rushed 9 on a punt, then the Giants rushed 10 and we didn’t adjust, so when we faced the Pats, BB exposed us and they blocked our punt for a TD.  Now if we fake a sneak and throw occasionally just over the line of scrimmage to say Singletary would be fun and probably catch a team like the Pats off guard.

It was already predictable and they still couldn’t stop it.

You can tell by how Josh lines up under center.  Feet side by side, drop back to handoff, roll out, or pass. Josh lines up with one of his legs behind him, it’s a sneak almost 100% of the time.  

Still no one could stop it.  

• Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Passing yards.  Where are the 300 yd games?  Plus he ranks very low in "interceptable balls" whatever that means.

I have heard that my balls are imperceptible but I don't think that is the same thing. 

17 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Do sneak completion percentage count?

Well it does but you have to factor in the DVOBS + CRP /WAZZIT + Doughnut Prices in Hamburg effect. 

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It was already predictable and they still couldn’t stop it.

You can tell by how Josh lines up under center.  Feet side by side, drop back to handoff, roll out, or pass. Josh lines up with one of his legs behind him, it’s a sneak almost 100% of the time.  

Still no one could stop it.  

yup. It’s a no brainer in “and short” situations 

Josh could tell the defense and likely still get 2-3 ft 90% of the time barring bad footing causing a slip etc..

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

as much as I love this, I'm hoping that Moss can take some of these 3rd and 1's from Allen this year.  Another weapon out there, and takes some potential beating off Allen.  

also, looks like a great job by the revamped OL in those situations last year.  

Yes, some of the time.  But, the threat of Josh busting up the gut makes the D play certain ways.  Just need to capitalize on that adjustment.  Cut Joshes carries in that situation in half would be good though.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Someone please tell Daboll 3rd and 2 is not a QB sneak distance. 1 yard I love the QB sneak.  Anything more than a yard and I hate it

I think Fitz converted on a 3rd and 7 with a QB sneak a few years go. It depends on the defense.

17 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Someone please tell Daboll 3rd and 2 is not a QB sneak distance. 1 yard I love the QB sneak.  Anything more than a yard and I hate it

But, if your the OC and you have the green light for a 4th and 1 play?  Unstoppable play twice = first down? 

For grins I looked at Josh's career rushing attempts including the playoff game.  I got 207 atttempts for 1233 yards for a ypc of 5.95.  Subtracting 24 attempts and the minimum of 23 yards (we know its slightly  more--he almost broke one in 2018 in a home game against the Jets or Lions for big yards, the Dallas play got 3 or 4) it maxes out at 183 attempts for 1210 yards for a ypc of 6.61.

22 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

But, if your the OC and you have the green light for a 4th and 1 play?  Unstoppable play twice = first down? 

For grins I looked at Josh's career rushing attempts including the playoff game.  I got 207 atttempts for 1233 yards for a ypc of 5.95.  Subtracting 24 attempts and the minimum of 23 yards (we know its slightly  more--he almost broke one in 2018 in a home game against the Jets or Lions for big yards, the Dallas play got 3 or 4) it maxes out at 183 attempts for 1210 yards for a ypc of 6.61.

I told you!

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I told you!

Think about all the kneel down, victory formation plays.  There has to be at least a dozen or so of them.  I don''t know who would bother to look them up.   So 12 for -24 yards?  That would make it 171 for 1234 and the the ypc becomes 7.21.  This is fun, sort of the reverse of watching the grocery bill go down when the coupons get scanned.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

That was against the Jets. He gained about 6 or 7 yards on a 4th and 1 or 3rd and 1 but a shoelace tackle kept him from potentially breaking for a 50 yard TD. 

Thanks.  I think he will break one of those sometime in his career.