Quarterback sneaks and Josh Allen stats

Info from PFF .. but it is pretty much yes/ no data so not skewed. The Bills lead the league over the past 2 years with QB sneak plays on 3 and 1 and 4th and 1 situations. The Bills in those situations have gone with the QB sneaK 48% of the time, Eagles are second at 32% and the 49ers are 3rd at 24%. More remarkably that has equated to 24 attempts with Josh making it 23 out of the 24 times. A great tool to keep the chains moving.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-just-fall-forward-nfl-teams-qb-sneak-underutilized

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Info from PFF .. but it is pretty much yes/ no data so not skewed. The Bills lead the league over the past 2 years with QB sneak plays on 3 and 1 and 4th and 1 situations. The Bills in those situations have gone with the QB sneaK 48% of the time, Eagles are second at 32% and the 49ers are 3rd at 24%. More remarkably that has equated to 24 attempts with Josh making it 23 out of the 24 times. A great tool to keep the chains moving.

I think the Panthers had similar numbers back in the mid 2010s with Cam.

9 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I mean, he had two of the greatest qb sneaks of all time last season. 

• Like (+1) 15
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Warcodered said:

Cowboys and Patriots?

Exactly. The cowboys sneak was epic, and the way he got face masked and then launched for the 1st down against one of Belichick's best defenses was pretty spectacular. 

• Like (+1) 1

That's great, it's what they should be doing. It's almost unstoppable at the goalline with his ability to go "up and over." 

The one the Bills missed was Week 1 vs Jets? They also did a sneak on 3rd down, but was 3rd and 2 so not part of the stats included in the link. 

image.thumb.png.f804be7514b8b2fab9aed5d837ac6a10.png

2 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Unfortunately, stats like these don't count. Nor do QB rushing yards, wins, or 4th quarter comebacks. The only thing that matters is completion percentage, or so I have been told.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 6

as much as I love this, I'm hoping that Moss can take some of these 3rd and 1's from Allen this year.  Another weapon out there, and takes some potential beating off Allen.  

also, looks like a great job by the revamped OL in those situations last year.  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Unfortunately, stats like these don't count. Nor do QB rushing yards, wins, or 4th quarter comebacks. The only thing that matters is completion percentage, or so I have been told.

Exactly. When Tom Brady retires and goes to the HoF, the first thing they will mention is his ability on the sneak. Not his laser accuracy, his command of the huddle, his numerous 4th Q and GWD where he finds the open man almost effortlessly. Not his record breaking season with Randy Moss. His QB sneaks.

Brady probably never wins a Super Bowl in his career without them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

it’s not a particularly special talent. Brady has been among the best at it. The coordinator just has to call it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I never understood why teams don’t use it more often. 

I think it has to do with the risk of injury to QBs.  It’s not a high risk percentage wise, but it could be catastrophic in the rare event it happens.  Even having the QB pulled out for concussion evaluation would be an issue.  But Allen is so physically imposing that it would be a mistake not to use sneaks.   I’m happy that we employ it as much as we do, at least while Allen is young.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

as much as I love this, I'm hoping that Moss can take some of these 3rd and 1's from Allen this year.  Another weapon out there, and takes some potential beating off Allen.  

also, looks like a great job by the revamped OL in those situations last year.  

How about an Allen fake QB sneak into the line, and then pitch out to Moss or Singletary around the outside.  If executed correctly that could be a big time gainer..

• Like (+1) 4

37 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

How about an Allen fake QB sneak into the line, and then pitch out to Moss or Singletary around the outside.  If executed correctly that could be a big time gainer..

Trickery is part dabols game, but not throwing from the line of scrimmage 

But who knows. Run the ball when it is working. That's the lesson dabol needs to learn

Edited by fl az fan

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

it’s not a particularly special talent. Brady has been among the best at it. The coordinator just has to call it.

I think I might disagree here. It’s not some elite characteristic but if it was so simple it would just be the no brainer call for every team. I think there are certain qb’s that have a real knack for it and it can be an almost unstoppable weapon. Brady is a perfect example. 

• Like (+1) 1