NFL’s protocols for players to return to team facilities

The challenge for the league is that states may be in different places with respect to COVID-19 when the time for training camp comes in July.  I presume that no team will be allowed to have players at team facilities unless every team is.  I think New York State is on track to open things up, but with all of the protesting that has been happening since the murder of George Floyd, a major spike in COVID-19 could happen in almost any NFL city.  That could, in turn, result in a resumption of shut-down mode.  I hope training camps open on time, but there are plenty of potential flies in the ointment.

8 hours ago, Mr Info said:

Item c

“Clubs must reconfigure locker rooms to permit six (6) feet of space between each player (By using every other locker or adding additional lockers) where possible.

Each player must have individual space designated to store his belongings, without comingling, if locker space is unavailable.”

Notice the qualifier “where possible”. 
It seems most teams at initial camp start when there are 90 players could accommodate this by leveraging the Visitor’s locker room.

You know, I hadn't thought of that, but yeah, they could. 

Sucks for some players that the Bills have such a crap Visitor's locker room

The primary thing you need is to have a good testing protocol in place.  There are several approved tests and one is saliva tests that is self-collecting which can be run and while you need a medical device to process the samples I expect each NFL team could afford the cost for that and bringing on a lab tech or two to run the tests.  Any player testing positives would be sent home and quarantined.  Knowing that players are not positive on a daily basis renders social distancing and mask moot as the reason for those are because we don't know who is positive and who is not.  Testing would provide that answer.   [edit: discussion of what role Rantes plays and whether it's a suitable diagnostic -> covid19 threads please]

On 6/8/2020 at 1:17 PM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Article XIV, Section 47, Paragraph G:

Only mayonnaise will be allowed on training camp tables; salad cream, Miracle Whip, or similar preparations are forbidden.

What about blue cheese?? Certainly use of ranch will necessitate a one game suspension unpaid of course...  

• Haha (+1) 1

I put this in the "players test positive" thread but seems appropriate here

Research on the accuracy of saliva-based tests has been available since the end of April from a Yale study:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200427/saliva-covid-test-alternative-to-deep-nasal-swab#1

On 6/9/2020 at 11:59 AM, All_Pro_Bills said:

The primary thing you need is to have a good testing protocol in place.  There are several approved tests and one is saliva tests that is self-collecting which can be run and while you need a medical device to process the samples I expect each NFL team could afford the cost for that and bringing on a lab tech or two to run the tests.  Any player testing positives would be sent home and quarantined.  Knowing that players are not positive on a daily basis renders social distancing and mask moot as the reason for those are because we don't know who is positive and who is not.  Testing would provide that answer.  [edit: discussion of what role Rantes plays and whether it's a suitable diagnostic -> covid19 threads please]

Approval to run diagnostic tests for a contagious disease is a bit more involved than a medical device and a lab tech, and it really needs to be that way.  The lab needs to have infectious disease protocols and containment systems for OPIM (other potential infectious materials).  They need to have appropriate oversight and quality control, and biowaste containment/protocols.  A little thought can lead to understanding why.

I don't know how big a deal is being made of approving labs to run infectious disease samples such as for covid-19 right now.  BU, for example, is setting up their own covid-19 test center but they've been working on it for several months.

Note that POC test machines are an exception, but these are typically lower throughput and some have been found to be of limited accuracy.

As far as "not positive on a daily basis renders social distancing and mask moot", please bear in mind that all clinical tests have a false negative rate, including the RT-PCR test for covid-19 (false positives are rare for this test and usually reflect laboratory error).  Some clinicians believe the false-negative rate may be as high as 30%, due most probably to low titer in the upper airway because the active disease is elsewhere, or to improper sample collection or storage;

On 6/8/2020 at 1:05 PM, Roger Goodell said:

We are confident that social distancing can be an effective tool in reducing COVID risks in the NFL because we have successfully conducted a pilot program for several years in which defenders have been required to stay at least six feet away from Tom Brady.

I gotta give props.  This account is PERFECT.  Perfect, I tell you. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I put this in the "players test positive" thread but seems appropriate here

Research on the accuracy of saliva-based tests has been available since the end of April from a Yale study:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200427/saliva-covid-test-alternative-to-deep-nasal-swab#1

Approval to run diagnostic tests for a contagious disease is a bit more involved than a medical device and a lab tech, and it really needs to be that way.  The lab needs to have infectious disease protocols and containment systems for OPIM (other potential infectious materials).  They need to have appropriate oversight and quality control, and biowaste containment/protocols.  A little thought can lead to understanding why.

I don't know how big a deal is being made of approving labs to run infectious disease samples such as for covid-19 right now.  BU, for example, is setting up their own covid-19 test center but they've been working on it for several months.

Note that POC test machines are an exception, but these are typically lower throughput and some have been found to be of limited accuracy.

As far as "not positive on a daily basis renders social distancing and mask moot", please bear in mind that all clinical tests have a false negative rate, including the RT-PCR test for covid-19 (false positives are rare for this test and usually reflect laboratory error).  Some clinicians believe the false-negative rate may be as high as 30%, due most probably to low titer in the upper airway because the active disease is elsewhere, or to improper sample collection or storage;

It would take only one guy to slip through the cracks so to speak.

Consider with all the players, coaches and complimentary staff at a facility, plus everyone going home to their families daily, and all the potential contact all those people have with other people during  the normal course of everyones daily life, there is a good chance that with the 30% odds of a false negative that a team could have several players get infected during a three day window between tests. It would create quite the problem for a team. 

You’re right, Its not so cut and dry, as is said.

I wonder if teams will adjust roommates for road trips?  Like Kelly and Reich use to room together.  I could see a team now wanting their two QB's together so less likely of both getting sick.

While all teams have the same chances of happening, would hate if before a playoff game, 5 or 6 players test positive.  You can argue it's no different than injuries, but injuries can't be passed on from one player to the next.

51 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I wonder if teams will adjust roommates for road trips?  Like Kelly and Reich use to room together.  I could see a team now wanting their two QB's together so less likely of both getting sick.

While all teams have the same chances of happening, would hate if before a playoff game, 5 or 6 players test positive.  You can argue it's no different than injuries, but injuries can't be passed on from one player to the next.

You gotta wonder if star players test positive for Covid right before a big game that they still play and don’t tell anybody. Can’t imagine a team like Kansas City not playing Mahomes if he were to test positive before a playoff game. 

22 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

You gotta wonder if star players test positive for Covid right before a big game that they still play and don’t tell anybody. Can’t imagine a team like Kansas City not playing Mahomes if he were to test positive before a playoff game. 

I'd think every team will be required to show proof that everyone was tested and their results.  In today's day and age if a team ever tried to cheat, it will come out, and likely the team would be punished pretty bad.  If players are asked to test themselves, then would agree, but can't believe that's how things would work, if for no other reason, he can then infect players.  Utah Jazz players weren't too happy when they found out Rudy K was positive.

The memo mandates that teams divide their organizations into "tiers" that define where personnel can go and what they can do. The tiers are designed to limit access to restricted areas such as the practice and stadium fields, sidelines, locker room and training rooms to essential personnel only. Teams must assign tiers to all their employees, who wear a tiered photograph credential to spell out their access.

NFL teams have spent recent days trying to figure out who to place in what tier, according to league sources. NFL teams must designate their Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 employees and turn the plans into the league office seven days before the first mandatory reporting date for players for the 2020 NFL season. No one quite knows when that reporting date will be, but 26 teams are scheduled to begin training camp July 28.

Tier 1 will consist of players, coaches, trainers, physicians and necessary personnel who must have direct access to the players.

• Tier 2 will consist of general managers, football operations employees, other assistant coaches, video personnel, security and other essential personnel who may need to be in close proximity to the players and other Tier 1 individuals who may need to access restricted areas. Only individuals assigned to Tiers 1 and 2 will be permitted access to restricted areas, and there will be limits on the number of individuals from each team that can be assigned Tier 1 and Tier 2 access at any given time.

• Tier 3 will consist of certain operational personnel, in-house media and broadcast personnel, field manager, transportation providers and individuals who perform essential facility, stadium or event services but do not require close contact with Tier 1 individuals. Team and other personnel who work exclusively in areas of team facilities that are or will be completely cordoned off from the rest of the facility do not need to be credentialed in one of the three access tiers.

• Like (+1) 1