Bills-related Secret Service item featured in today’s Uni-Watch column

2 hours ago, SF Bills Fan said:

That is a great little collectors item. Kemp was a good man and a good politician and was respected all around Washington. Washington sorely needs people like him these days. 

It would be good to see a real conservatives like Kemp in the Congress again. 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 2

Kemp was a good guy.  My dad was friends with him as well as some of the US Congressmen at the time.  He was always polite, friendly, and a gentleman.  I was a nobody, but he treated me with grace.  I’m not going to make a political statement about today other than he was a good HUD secretary after his congressional appointments.  Just like my dad was best friends with Jimmy Griffin.  They were alter boys together, and eventually joined the navy together during Korea.  I know he was polarizing, but for me a great guy. He was so kind to me and my siblings.  

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Kemp was a good guy.  My dad was friends with him as well as some of the US Congressmen at the time.  He was always polite, friendly, and a gentleman.  I was a nobody, but he treated me with grace.  I’m not going to make a political statement about today other than he was a good HUD secretary after his congressional appointments.  Just like my dad was best friends with Jimmy Griffin.  They were alter boys together, and eventually joined the navy together during Korea.  I know he was polarizing, but for me a great guy. He was so kind to me and my siblings.  

Those guys were all old school.  Always showed respect.  Could have differences with other pols but always negotiate a settlement.  Like Reagan and Tip O'Neill, always had late night one on one  talks with scotches at White House to reach consensus.  Lost art now.  Someone always has to win and the other guy not only has to lose but lose face too.

• Like (+1) 5

58 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Those guys were all old school.  Always showed respect.  Could have differences with other pols but always negotiate a settlement.  Like Reagan and Tip O'Neill, always had late night one on one  talks with scotches at White House to reach consensus.  Lost art now.  Someone always has to win and the other guy not only has to lose but lose face too.

So true, the art of comprise for the common good has sadly gone out of fashion. 

• Like (+1) 1

In 1973 our HS band (from West Seneca East) did a band exchange program with a school in Maryland.  They came up to WNY and got a day at Niagara Falls, and we got a day in DC.  A group of us boys found our way to Rep Kemp's office and asked if we could see him.  His secretary cleared some time on his calendar, and he had us all come in.  He couldn't have been nicer.  What I remember is that while my friends were all looking at the photographs (there was one of Ernie Ladd in the air about to come down on Kemp, who had just thrown a pass -- and Ladd was a very large human), I talked to Kemp about politics.  I was sort of a young radical at the time and I told Kemp I thought the people of China were benefiting from the Communist system they had in place.  He was mortified that an American youth would feel that way, and we talked about that for half an hour.  I'll never forget his real interest in what I had to say, even though he didn't agree with it.  He was, as everyone is saying, a real gentleman, and a very smart man.

• Like (+1) 3