"One Buffalo: Racism Isn't Real" video

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

I would decline for the same reason I would never do an interview with a major news outlet unless there was a contractual agreement to air the interview unedited in its entirety.

Additionally, having the courage of your convictions doesn't protect you from the potential collateral consequences of expressing an unpopular opinion. Although I like to say it, the truth is not a complete defense. I've posted pretty much all the opinions I express on this board under my real name in other areas of the internet, but I'm increasingly less inclined to do so. I have that luxury of open expression because my job is mostly safe, but for many people, expressing an unpopular opinion is at best a career limiting exercise, and at worst, career suicide. That's true even if the opinion is well grounded and supported.

I was once pulled aside by management at a previous job and made to explain criticisms of Obama I had made in a private conversation that was overheard and reported by a co-worker. The conversation did not even touch on anything remotely related to race. It was a discussion about economic policy, specifically with regard to the efficacy of stimulus spending. Nevertheless, it was 2008 and Obama was not to be criticized. (Curiously, I never got push back for criticizing stimulus spending under Bush or Trump). My opportunities in that department mysteriously diminished immediately after that incident.

If you can be blackballed for privately expressing your views about fiscal and monetary policy, imagine the danger of expressing controversial opinions on racial issues, especially in this environment. I see people on FB, including well-educated professionals, bragging about eliminating friends and family from their lives simply because they refuse to accept Critical Social Justice theory. I know of a company that ceased doing business with a woman because of her "racist" posts. The fact that there was nothing inherently racist about any of her posts was irrelevant. They challenged the doctrine and that was enough. The environment out there is not one that's safe for challenging prevailing views.

Even in my current situation I'm not going out into the world unfiltered, even though nothing I have to say could be considered racist by any rational definition. My job situation could change at some point and I'm already marginalized in my professional community for making the outlandish statement that destroying the property and livelihoods of innocent people isn't a reasonable form of protest. Rocking the boat could be detrimental to my ability to provide for my kids, regardless of the level of courage I have in my convictions.

It serves no purpose to rock the boat when surrounded by people who would like to tip it over. I have a MAGA hat that sits in the hall closet that I've never worn. I haven't worn it because I know sooner or later some ***** up, feeble minded lefty will attack me for wearing it. Instead of instigating trouble I'll just sit back and smile after voting. I suspect that there are a ton of people who feel the same way as I do and once again will have the other side wondering what happened with their polling. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

It serves no purpose to rock the boat when surrounded by people who would like to tip it over. I have a MAGA hat that sits in the hall closet that I've never worn. I haven't worn it because I know sooner or later some ***** up, feeble minded lefty will attack me for wearing it. Instead of instigating trouble I'll just sit back and smile after voting. I suspect that there are a ton of people who feel the same way as I do and once again will have the other side wondering what happened with their polling. 

It’s sad to learn that you’re too much of a snowflake to wear your MAGA hat.  That’s very much a bunker mentality.  Which is not surprising for obvious reasons. 

Quick question - is the Trump campaign theme “Make America Great Again” or “Keep America Great?”  The fact that he’s saying “Make America Great Again” again admits that he hasn’t really gotten around to “Making America Great Again” in the last couple of years.  Which was sort of the point of his presidency, at least according to him.  On the other hand, the whole idea of “Keep America Great” might sound a bit hollow with, you know, three simultaneous generational crises that have festered as Trump has stewed in his bunker.  

So, since you’re a Kool-Aid-drinking Trumper, I figured I’d ask you whether America is great and the plan is to keep it great, or if we’re back to where we started in 2015 and you think that it kind of sucks and is not so great and needs to be made great again at some point in the future.  

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

It’s sad to learn that you’re too much of a snowflake to wear your MAGA hat.  That’s very much a bunker mentality.  Which is not surprising for obvious reasons. 

Quick question - is the Trump campaign theme “Make America Great Again” or “Keep America Great?”  The fact that he’s saying “Make America Great Again” again admits that he hasn’t really gotten around to “Making America Great Again” in the last couple of years.  Which was sort of the point of his presidency, at least according to him.  On the other hand, the whole idea of “Keep America Great” might sound a bit hollow with, you know, three simultaneous generational crises that have festered as Trump has stewed in his bunker.  

So, since you’re a Kool-Aid-drinking Trumper, I figured I’d ask you whether America is great and the plan is to keep it great, or if we’re back to where we started in 2015 and you think that it kind of sucks and is not so great and needs to be made great again at some point in the future.  

You are so ***** up why would I even bother to answer you? All you're going to comment on is the size of my penis and how much you admire it. How many times do I have to tell you that I'm not interested? Go tap your foot in the stalls at the Angola rest stop on I-90 and leave me alone. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

You are so ***** up why would I even bother to answer you? All you're going to comment on is the size of my penis and how much you admire it. How many times do I have to tell you that I'm not interested? Go tap your foot in the stalls at the Angola rest stop on I-90 and leave me alone. 

What is your obsession with your junk?  It’s disturbing how much you focus on that.  

The question remains- have we made American great again and now seek to keep it that way, or are we asking for more time to keep 2016’s promise to make America great again? 

2 hours ago, Rob's House said:

I would decline for the same reason I would never do an interview with a major news outlet unless there was a contractual agreement to air the interview unedited in its entirety.  — Done! No problem.

Additionally, having the courage of your convictions doesn't protect you from the potential collateral consequences of expressing an unpopular opinion. Although I like to say it, the truth is not a complete defense. I've posted pretty much all the opinions I express on this board under my real name in other areas of the internet, but I'm increasingly less inclined to do so. I have that luxury of open expression because my job is mostly safe, but for many people, expressing an unpopular opinion is at best a career limiting exercise, and at worst, career suicide. That's true even if the opinion is well grounded and supported.

I was once pulled aside by management at a previous job and made to explain criticisms of Obama I had made in a private conversation that was overheard and reported by a co-worker. The conversation did not even touch on anything remotely related to race. It was a discussion about economic policy, specifically with regard to the efficacy of stimulus spending. Nevertheless, it was 2008 and Obama was not to be criticized. (Curiously, I never got push back for criticizing stimulus spending under Bush or Trump). My opportunities in that department mysteriously diminished immediately after that incident.

If you can be blackballed for privately expressing your views about fiscal and monetary policy, imagine the danger of expressing controversial opinions on racial issues, especially in this environment. I see people on FB, including well-educated professionals, bragging about eliminating friends and family from their lives simply because they refuse to accept Critical Social Justice theory. I know of a company that ceased doing business with a woman because of her "racist" posts. The fact that there was nothing inherently racist about any of her posts was irrelevant. They challenged the doctrine and that was enough. The environment out there is not one that's safe for challenging prevailing views.

Even in my current situation I'm not going out into the world unfiltered, even though nothing I have to say could be considered racist by any rational definition. My job situation could change at some point and I'm already marginalized in my professional community for making the outlandish statement that destroying the property and livelihoods of innocent people isn't a reasonable form of protest. Rocking the boat could be detrimental to my ability to provide for my kids, regardless of the level of courage I have in my convictions.

Fair reservations. I can definitely put together a contract that guarantees that, or you're welcome to present one to me. Either way that's a reasonable request, and I will accomodate. 

And as to your blackballed, again, I encourage you to not reveal your name or location. Merely your face / voice / fact you are a Bills fan / that these are posts from TSW. Yeah?

18 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

And yet you responded to me.  Section C3, 1, Third and Long, 0. 

Edited by SectionC3

2 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Seems mildly threatening and inappropriate, given that you haven’t demonstrated anything that would/should lead anyone to believe that you plan to act in good faith, or that you’re prepared to be intellectually honest.

I’ve engaged with you in good faith on several fronts now, and I’ve yet to see you bring any data to support your assertions.

I’ve come to you with my own data, and you in turn came to agree with my assessment on one front; and I’ve engaged you asking you for data on another, and you’ve yet to supply it.

I am happy to engage with anyone, on any topic, who approaches the arena with intellectual honesty, prepares to back their position with data, and leaves room for the possibility that they may, in fact, be wrong.

The purpose of discussion/debate is to vet the merits of what you believe to be true against those who would challenge and scrutinize your ideas.  And, if I’m being honest, you come across more as a ####-sure firebrand, here to make personal attacks against anyone who challenges your ideas, more than someone making inquiry, and searching for truth.

I am more than happy to continue to engage with you, and am hoping that you prove me wrong.

What data are you lacking? The existence of racism, or of police brutality? 

What about the most recent data? In Los Angeles, and across the country, protests all weekend. In LA, for the first time, the occupying military left the streets and there was no curfew. Guess what didn't happen? @Deranged Rhino do you know what happened this weekend at the protests? 

They were entirely peaceful and without incident. And as it just so happens, these also happened to be the ones with the least amount of cop / soldier intervention. What conclusions can we draw from this data? 

Anyway, otherwise, thanks for your unasked for assessment of my character. I simply want to present a challenge that requires conviction and courage to a bloc of people I suspect are all cowards.

A poster, earlier in thread, volunteered to do a call. He even threw out his real name and twitter handle. I don't advise anyone to do that. But of course he's not afraid to share his views because he's not ashamed of them, because he's not advocating for racism.

It seems to only be when people are advocating for racism, but don't want to use the word and identify it so baldly, that it seems to be some kind of moral quandary and something to get mealy-mouthed about. 

So you're interested in putting your face / voice with your writing here on cam, or no?

9 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

(a meme)

I like that you think you're making a good point instead of just posting a poorly made graphic. 

The Democrats bill proposal to police reform might've been a better and more relevant example to bring up today. Maybe you haven't gotten your assigned talking point about it yet.

It sucks ass. It's a bunch of half measures that distract from the problem. It shows they're not listening and don't care. Minnesota has gone further than Pelosi and Biden. Ridiculous. 

You posted a second Biden meme, again, like you're revealing something "hidden." Biden is racist as *****, dude! Are you going to blow my mind with Anita Hill next? 

Edited by GregPersons

2 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

Fair reservations. I can definitely put together a contract that guarantees that, or you're welcome to present one to me. Either way that's a reasonable request, and I will accomodate. 

And as to your blackballed, again, I encourage you to not reveal your name or location. Merely your face / voice / fact you are a Bills fan / that these are posts from TSW. Yeah?

If I knew you and trusted that you had a legitimate interest in an honest debate I would be more inclined to take you up on your offer. As is, I have no desire to do so. If you had the authority to bind a major news network, the contract would be easy to enforce. With you, I don't even know who you are. Even if I could establish your real identity and had an enforceable contract it would still not be worth my time to enforce it. I'd have to file suit against you, confirm your location, and serve you with process, then drag you into court to try the case. Even if I go through all that and prevail, I still may not be able to collect, and even if I could it would likely not be worth the hassle. I'm sure you have no insurance policy that would pay, and I doubt you have assets that I could collect against without going through additional legal proceedings and jumping through hoops.

If you could establish your identity and address to my satisfaction and provide your credit report, and were willing to sign a contract with provisions for sufficient financial penalties, costs, and attorney's fees in case of breach, as well as choice of law and venue stipulations, and were willing to post a bond for the amount of the agreed upon penalty, I may agree to let you come to me, sit down in person, and do a Joe Rogan style podcast.

To be honest though, that's a lot of work on my part, and I'm not terribly inclined to go through all of that to help you with your project.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

What data are you lacking? The existence of racism, or of police brutality? 

What about the most recent data? In Los Angeles, and across the country, protests all weekend. In LA, for the first time, the occupying military left the streets and there was no curfew. Guess what didn't happen? @Deranged Rhino do you know what happened this weekend at the protests? 

They were entirely peaceful and without incident. And as it just so happens, these also happened to be the ones with the least amount of cop / soldier intervention. What conclusions can we draw from this data? 

Anyway, otherwise, thanks for your unasked for assessment of my character. I simply want to present a challenge that requires conviction and courage to a bloc of people I suspect are all cowards.

A poster, earlier in thread, volunteered to do a call. He even threw out his real name and twitter handle. I don't advise anyone to do that. But of course he's not afraid to share his views because he's not ashamed of them, because he's not advocating for racism.

It seems to only be when people are advocating for racism, but don't want to use the word and identify it so baldly, that it seems to be some kind of moral quandary and something to get mealy-mouthed about. 

So you're interested in putting your face / voice with your writing here on cam, or no?

What I’m speaking to is the fact that you now have an established history of making baseless charges of racism towards anyone who disagrees with your assumptions.

You come across not as intellectually curious, but rather as someone seeking to do others harm.

This isn’t an attack on your character, but rather on your motives, and of the weight of your arguments.

Further, what you have just offered isn’t data which supports your argument.

Your argument has been that everyone is racist, that whites are free to kill blacks with impunity, and that cultures descending from Enlightenment philosophy are somehow white supremacist in nature.

You have offered nothing to substantiate these claims.

And no, I have no desire to allow you, a perfect stranger who I don’t believe to be operating with pure motives, to take me out of context in order to try to damage my reputation.

As I said, you don’t appear to be operating with intellectual integrity or curiosity here.

Try that first, and see where it takes you. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

What I’m speaking to is the fact that you now have an established history of making baseless charges of racism towards anyone who disagrees with your assumptions.

You come across not as intellectually curious, but rather as someone seeking to do others harm.

This isn’t an attack on your character, but rather on your motives, and of the weight of your arguments.

Further, what you have just offered isn’t data which supports your argument.

Your argument has been that everyone is racist, that whites are free to kill blacks with impunity, and that cultures descending from Enlightenment philosophy are somehow white supremacist in nature.

You have offered nothing to substantiate these claims.

And no, I have no desire to allow you, a perfect stranger who I don’t believe to be operating with pure motives, to take me out of context in order to try to damage my reputation.

As I said, you don’t appear to be operating with intellectual integrity or curiosity here.

Try that first, and see where it takes you. 

i can’t speak for the guy who planned to make the video, but I suspect that his plan was to mock you by giving you the opportunity to place some of your “alt-wrong” views on video.  Frankly I think it would be hilarious to watch some people here fumble for words, resort to a “you’re deeply, deeply stupid” comment, and then etch-a-sketch a meme to explain their position.  

Edited by SectionC3

4 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

i can’t speak for the guy who planned to make the video, but I suspect that his plan was to mock you by giving you the opportunity to place some of your “alt-wrong” views on video.  Frankly I think it would be hilarious to watch some people here fumble for words, resort to a “you’re deeply, deeply stupid” comment, and then etch-a-sketch a meme to explain their position.  

Who are you again, exactly?

And can you point to an argument I’ve made on this board which hasn’t been buttressed by data, citing sourcable historical fact, etc?

I mean, I have a lengthy posting history here, and there is a search function.

Surely you can tie something I’ve said, nearly all of which is founded in Enlightenment moral philosophy, economics, and advocating for maximizing human freedom to the Alt-right by quoting me, right?

Or are you just here to be a generally bad and dishonest person?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I've asked this (and a few other clarifying questions) to other posters to no avail. So seeing you used it to describe the view of some posters here.  Can you please define Alt-Right (or Alt-Wrong as you adorably put it)  for us? 

Oh and I said I was in and for @GregPersons so provide the Zoom link for all of us to long into for our debate and collect our $50 and he conveniently had to log off last night.  

40 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I've asked this (and a few other clarifying questions) to other posters to no avail. So seeing you used it to describe the view of some posters here.  Can you please define Alt-Right (or Alt-Wrong as you adorably put it)  for us? 

Oh and I said I was in and for @GregPersons so provide the Zoom link for all of us to long into for our debate and collect our $50 and he conveniently had to log off last night.  

Yeah fun thing about that, I guess "I was asking for it" but, and I'm sure this was just a very interesting coincidence, I found myself unable to log into the site yesterday with firewall blocking phishing attempts on my account here. 

I'm not so easily deterred, though, and very much would like to schedule for this week. Today is an option, too. Let me know if you have availability. 

Wait. Didn't we leave off with you defining racism? I remember you took one guess and I told you that wasn't it. Did you do another definition? 

50 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Who are you again, exactly?

And can you point to an argument I’ve made on this board which hasn’t been buttressed by data, citing sourcable historical fact, etc?

I mean, I have a lengthy posting history here, and there is a search function.

Surely you can tie something I’ve said, nearly all of which is founded in Enlightenment moral philosophy, economics, and advocating for maximizing human freedom to the Alt-right by quoting me, right?

Or are you just here to be a generally bad and dishonest person?

Tasker, what set of criteria do you use to evaluate people? Individually and in group scale? 

2 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

Yeah fun thing about that, I guess "I was asking for it" but, and I'm sure this was just a very interesting coincidence, I found myself unable to log into the site yesterday with firewall blocking phishing attempts on my account here. 

I'm not so easily deterred, though, and very much would like to schedule for this week. Today is an option, too. Let me know if you have availability. 

Wait. Didn't we leave off with you defining racism? I remember you took one guess and I told you that wasn't it. Did you do another definition? 

No post the zoom invite here. Make it for 6pm PST so we can all log in. That would be a much better use of your time vs separate videos.  

I gave you my definition now it’s your turn to give us yours.