Rumor/Speculation only: Will Pats sign Kapernick?

Kapernick and Pats?  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Pats to sign Kapernick

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t care either way
  2. 2. Who would win the starting job?

• Kapernick
    • Stidham
  3. 3. Who would the Pats win more games with?

• Kapernick
    • Stidham

21 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

If Kaep wanted to play my hunch is he could find a team willing to give him veteran minimum contract and bring him to camp.

The better question and more interesting scenario is where will Cam Newton end up.  Cam is better than most QBs starting including Allen and Darnold right now. He would be the best QB in AFC East.  Cam has to prove his shoulder is ok and Allen/Darnold need to prove they can get better.  Allen has always been my guy but if I had to pick one QB for just 2020  and no consideration of the need for future years, I'd take Newton to get the Bills into a deep playoff run.  

it is interesting that the drama prone always get more talk than the actual performers.  Cam is much better than Kaep, and if he is healthy, would be the best QB in the AFC East--at least this season.  

I'm beginning to hope they don't.  He would allow them to tank for Trevor.  

• Haha (+1) 1

I highly doubt that Kap fits ol' Bellychunk's system of the "Patriot Way." He wants guys who fall in line and do what he tells them. Plus, Kap's going on, what, three years removed from pro ball? I dunno, but I don't think the guy could just step right in and pick up where he left off, which wasn't really that great, his final year as a starter I think he was around 175 passing yards on average per game. Kap's had several opportunities to get back in the league (I believe Denver and Baltimore both offered contracts) but he has it in his head that he's a QB1 and deserves the starting position as soon as he sets foot in a team facility. 

I haven't seen much of Stidham, but when I do, it'll be when Epnesa pummels him into the dirt. Take that, Stinkham.

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

it is interesting that the drama prone always get more talk than the actual performers.  Cam is much better than Kaep, and if he is healthy, would be the best QB in the AFC East--at least this season.  

I'm beginning to hope they don't.  He would allow them to tank for Trevor.  

2016 Cam was special but Cam has not been great in at least 2 seasons. I think we are at the point we stop discussing "if healthy" and just discuss Cam as he is.

On 6/7/2020 at 12:16 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Man you need to read better lol.  I said saw some friends discussing the “rumors” online.  I literally said in my title “rumor and speculation only”.  Then wrote this as a “what if” question only.  Yet here you are mocking I heard from Pats friends?  

Are you capable of participating in any convo with out opening with a smart a** comment?  Asking for a friend...

Wow and i thought i was the only one that they only read the first line of your post and then made a ridiculous comment that had nothing to do with what you wrote .

Then when you reply they bust your balls endlessly and tell you how you failed the english test on punctuation but their personal comprehension while reading is kindergarten level or that of a pot smoker and they get CRS but reply anyway ?.

I feel much better now that i know i'm not alone in the ridicule ?

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

2016 Cam was special but Cam has not been great in at least 2 seasons. I think we are at the point we stop discussing "if healthy" and just discuss Cam as he is.

Well said BT.  You just have to look up his completion % and only had two years above 60% and barely.  His entire career he’s at an average of 59.3%.  Kaep is even worse, but that doesn’t mean he’s incredible accurate.  Outside of the injuries, he’s just not the kind of QB BB likes.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/8/2020 at 2:19 PM, 947 said:

As much as I'd love to see both Kaeperick & the Pats fail, I don't want that POS to get another NFL job. Even if he was a backup, coverage of him would dominate sports news for the whole season, I'd rather burn my eyes with a blowtorch than have to suffer through that.

Imagine ESPN covering the Bills AFC Championship Game win for 45 seconds, before a 5 minute segment on Kaepernick & his latest protest...

Wait, why is Kaepernick a POS?

On 6/7/2020 at 12:30 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

So I got several Pats fan friends on social media talking about the rumors and speculation that the Pats could sign Kap.  And all of them are hoping it happens surprisingly.  

Me:  I don’t think so.  I think BB really wants to try and do his latest Matt Cassel like job of taking a guy who is basically unknown and unheralded young QB and prove he can win still without a “Tom Brady”.  Just my opinion of course. 

BUT...what if they did sign Kap and let him battle for the starting job?  Seems some recent polls show majority of Pats fans would support this.  From a story perspective, I think this would be interesting to watch.  Get him back in and on a huge stage.  Be a great message in our climate for one, and a great opportunity for Kap in terms of how he could get back in the league.  

As a Bills fan, I’d be stoked to see Pats have another distraction to go with the “Life after Brady” distraction haha.  

So what are your thoughts?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.metrowestdailynews.com/sports/20200606/daniels-poll-majority-of-patriots-fans-in-favor-of-bringing-on-colin-kaepernick-to-qb-competition%3ftemplate=ampart

Please spell his name correctly.

The Texans need to sign Kaepernick.

Look at their depth chart. Who would be a better backup to Watson -- A.J. McCarron or Kaepernick? Plus, the tie-in to Houston with Floyd, and the fact that at Floyd's funeral yesterday Sharpton called for the NFL to repair Kaepernick, and Texans brass were in attendance.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli

18 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Look at their depth chart. Who would be a better backup to Watson -- A.J. McCarron or Kaepernick? Plus, the tie-in to Houston with Floyd, and the fact that at Floyd's funeral yesterday Sharpton called for the NFL to repair Kaepernick, and Texans brass were in attendance.

Oh, well if Al called for it it has to happen! Hes a major distraction, upgrade or not. Also, good luck selling that one to Texans season ticket holders. 

14 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

While I'll grant that the Sabres have done worse than Al Sharpton with their current and former GM, and BOB isn't exactly beyond criticism, I don't think rosters should be picked by people without vested interest in a team.  

With that said, if Al would pledge to keep Eichel and Dahlin, and read up on hockey for a few hours a week, he couldn't do worse than Botts so why not?

Here's another concern about signing Kaep. (Sorry if it was already raised.) If he's not that good and gets cut, or if he's not named the starter, someone will invariably float the notion that he's being treated unfairly because of the kneeling thing. Then your team is answering those questions for weeks. 

On 6/7/2020 at 9:42 PM, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I would love it, it would mean that the pats will win no more than 5 games with no future at QB until they draft one

Kap would be a great back up that could play and go .500 in a few games if needed to start, but look at his last year starting in the NFL. Teams figured him out and is no better than a back up QB.

Allen last year - 58.8%, 193.1 passing/ game, 20 passing tds in 16 games, 9 ints, 6.7 ypa, 85.3 QBs rating, and 14 fumbles.  Leading receivers - John Brown and Cole Beasley 

Terrible Kaepernick last season - 59.2%, 186.8 passing/ game, 16 passing tds in 12 games, 4 ints, 6.8 ypa, 90.7 QB rating, and 9 fumbles.  Leading receivers - Jermey Kerley and Quinton Patton. 

I’m so sick of snowflakes.  “I won’t watch if CK is in the NFL.”  What a bunch of little whiny babies.  I want the best possible team.  I don’t care if it’s CK or trump loving Bosa.  Great thing about a lockerroom is you become friends with people who have different views than you.  Some of my best friends from playing are guys I had little in common in with but you become brothers.

and I wish some of you “ patriots” would have the same energy towards domestic violence as you do towards a guy silently protesting racism/ police brutality.  

34 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Here's another concern about signing Kaep. (Sorry if it was already raised.) If he's not that good and gets cut, or if he's not named the starter, someone will invariably float the notion that he's being treated unfairly because of the kneeling thing. Then your team is answering those questions for weeks. 

It’s valid but the great thing about sports is it’s pretty easy to see who’s good enough and who isn’t.  I definitely think the lay-off will hurt him but if he’s good enough, you can see it.  And if before the layoff you said he wasn’t one of the best 35 QBs in the nfl, you’re a liar and wrong.  

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Allen last year - 58.8%, 193.1 passing/ game, 20 passing tds in 16 games, 9 ints, 6.7 ypa, 85.3 QBs rating, and 14 fumbles.  Leading receivers - John Brown and Cole Beasley 

Terrible Kaepernick last season - 59.2%, 186.8 passing/ game, 16 passing tds in 12 games, 4 ints, 6.8 ypa, 90.7 QB rating, and 9 fumbles.  Leading receivers - Jermey Kerley and Quinton Patton. 

I’m so sick of snowflakes.  “I won’t watch if CK is in the NFL.”  What a bunch of little whiny babies.  I want the best possible team.  I don’t care if it’s CK or trump loving Bosa.  Great thing about a lockerroom is you become friends with people who have different views than you.  Some of my best friends from playing are guys I had little in common in with but you become brothers.

and I wish some of you “ patriots” would have the same energy towards domestic violence as you do towards a guy silently protesting racism/ police brutality.  

I was thinking of posting that CK would be the perfect backup here and then I saw your post. It reinforced my thinking. Strong arm, athletic, good runner, accuracy issues. 

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That was also Kaep’s sixth season, compared to Allen’s second. 

Id take him as a backup but he’s clearly not interested, nor has he ever been interested in playing a backup role for anyone. 

Who would you rather have at starting qb for the bills?

Stats are similar but watching the games they look completely different

Edited by Cheektowaga Chad

It’s valid but the great thing about sports is it’s pretty easy to see who’s good enough and who isn’t.  I definitely think the lay-off will hurt him but if he’s good enough, you can see it.  And if before the layoff you said he wasn’t one of the best 35 QBs in the nfl, you’re a liar and wrong.  

Top 35? I guess. To me he had an RG3 type of career (minus the injury.) He took the league by storm but when NFL defenses caught up to him he couldn't offer anything to respond.

If Kapernick is going to come back he is going to have to find a situation where he can sit for a season unless catastrophic injuries hit. I think Kap has to look for a situation similar to what Michael Vick had after his two year absence stemming from his legal issues. The Eagles had McNabb as the bonafide starter in 2008 and a high draft pick as the backup in Kevin Klob. Vick wasn't going to have to be forced into action that year unless multiple injuries hit. Vick basically redshirted in 2009 before coming back in 2010 and having his best season arguably of his pro-career. 

I don't know what situation would make sense for Kapernick as I don't know what team has an established QB and a solid backup that would want to take on Kapernick as a project at 32 years old? 

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Top 35? I guess. To me he had an RG3 type of career (minus the injury.) He took the league by storm but when NFL defenses caught up to him he couldn't offer anything to respond.

His last season he played, he had better passing numbers than Josh Allen and his top receivers were Jeremy Kerley and Quinton Patton.  I’m assuming you are high on Allen, right?

52 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Who would you rather have at starting qb for the bills?

Stats are similar but watching the games they look completely different

The point is more to point out that there was some stupid notion than Kaepernick was an awful qb before he got blackballed.  He had better passing numbers than Allen with complete garbage around him.  Worst garbage than Allen had.

of course I’d rather have Allen.  But it was overestimated how “bad” he was.  Dude did better than a qb than we are really high on.  

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I was thinking of posting that CK would be the perfect backup here and then I saw your post. It reinforced my thinking. Strong arm, athletic, good runner, accuracy issues. 

Even 4 years out, he is better than Barkley and Fromm.  He would be the perfect backup for Allen but I totally get why they won’t sign him.  But if your goal is to win the SB, you would have a better backup than Barkley. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I do feel like Kapernick was an at least decent starting caliber QB from 2012-2014 but I don't know if it was NFL defenses catching up to him or the 49ers steep drop in talent in those years. In 2012-2013 the 49ers were one of the deepest most talented teams in the league and Kapernick was able to get them deep into the playoffs. In 2014 the 49ers talent declined but they were still decent in Harbaugh's last year. In 2014 Kapernick had arguably his best season even as the team's talent declined. 

But in 2015 and 2016 the team got old, lost a lot of talent, and lost one of the best coaches in the league. It wasn't a coincidence that Kapernick's play fell rapidly when the 49ers became one of the worst teams in the league. I am not saying that had Kapernick not had any of this political drama that he would have gone onto play for another team in 2017 and beyond and revived his career. I think for that to happen Kapernick would have had to have found himself in a perfect situation where he could have been on a good team and backed up an established vet for a year or two before taking over long term or simply been a backup on a great team and taken over for an injured starter. 

More than likely Kapernick would have found himself on a bad or mid-level team keeping the seat warm for a rookie or up and coming QB, he would have started on and off. I think most likely he would have had a very Ryan Fitzpatrick like career where he has 6-7 good games in a row and then reverts back to bad play. A fringe starter high end backup caliber player. But I do wonder had he been able to redshirt for a year (so to speak) and come back on a good team would he have had some good seasons?