Rumor/Speculation only: Will Pats sign Kapernick?

Kapernick and Pats?  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Pats to sign Kapernick

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t care either way
  2. 2. Who would win the starting job?

• Kapernick
    • Stidham
  3. 3. Who would the Pats win more games with?

• Kapernick
    • Stidham

31 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Waterboy GIF by memecandy - Find & Share on GIPHY

House, all I can say about this video clip is disturbing.  You’re a funny dude In a warped way And love it.  Putin, I was thinking the same thing.  I wish the Cheats would pick him up even though they won’t, as that team would be an even more blank show than we expect this year.  I feel I have to keep qualifying, so not because of the politics, but because of his poor play on the field.  This is nothing more than the media resurrecting a story from four years ago and has zero merit with him actually playing again in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

Kaep and Belicheck seems like bad chemistry to me.  So, that's a don't sign argument.  And, Kaep  was lousy in 2016 when we saw him at New Era.  However, I view the Pats as QB talent light and I think there will be another signing or  two even to provide alternatives.  Likely not Kaep though.  Maybe a practice squad guy....like Davis Webb after the Bills cut him, say.  And, that would give t he Bills playbook to the Pats, although the Bills don't play the Pats until later in the season.

18 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

House, all I can say about this video clip is disturbing.  You’re a funny dude In a warped way And love it.  Putin, I was thinking the same thing.  I wish the Cheats would pick him up even though they won’t, as that team would be an even more blank show than we expect this year.  I feel I have to keep qualifying, so not because of the politics, but because of his poor play on the field.  This is nothing more than the media resurrecting a story from four years ago and has zero merit with him actually playing again in the NFL.

That is why I titled this thread as rumor and speculation only and just an interesting “what if” to discuss.  I doubt there is any substance to it and also doubt that they would actually do it even if considering it.  

I really think BB wants to show he can win with Stidham to kind of snub his nose at Brady.  

I mean looking at it logically, if they were gonna sign a “vet” to compete with Stidham, why didn’t they sign Dalton when he was free or go sign Newton over Kap whose clearly the better QB with no baggage.  

So while I agree this is likely never gonna happen, just thought it would be an interesting topic and interesting place for Kap to land if he did now find himself back in the NFL.

And make no mistake about it, I do believe Kap should be given another shot by someone.  I mean if he doesn’t have anything to offer, you just cut him.  But he was good enough to still be playing in the NFL today had the kneeling not interrupted his career.  Whether or not he would still be holding on as a starter or would be a backup now like Winston is a legit question, but none the less, he’s good enough to be on a roster had he not been frozen out.  

I just don’t see the Pats as the team to give him that shot.  And honestly, not sure there are really any teams looking to sign another QB right now anyway, especially one that’s been out of the league several years.  So odds of him getting that shot remain low IMHO.

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That is why I titled this thread as rumor and speculation only and just an interesting “what if” to discuss.  I doubt there is any substance to it and also doubt that they would actually do it even if considering it.  

I really think BB wants to show he can win with Stidham to kind of snub his nose at Brady.  

I mean looking at it logically, if they were gonna sign a “vet” to compete with Stidham, why didn’t they sign Dalton when he was free or go sign Newton over Kap whose clearly the better QB with no baggage.  

So while I agree this is likely never gonna happen, just thought it would be an interesting topic and interesting place for Kap to land if he did now find himself back in the NFL.

And make no mistake about it, I do believe Kap should be given another shot by someone.  I mean if he doesn’t have anything to offer, you just cut him.  But he was good enough to still be playing in the NFL today had the kneeling not interrupted his career.  Whether or not he would still be holding on as a starter or would be a backup now like Winston is a legit question, but none the less, he’s good enough to be on a roster had he not been frozen out.  

I just don’t see the Pats as the team to give him that shot.  And honestly, not sure there are really any teams looking to sign another QB right now anyway, especially one that’s been out of the league several years.  So odds of him getting that shot remain low IMHO.

They couldn't afford Dalton.  Or likely Cam.

Kaep was looking for decent money, so it won't be "just cut him if he sucks."

30 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They couldn't afford Dalton.  Or likely Cam.

Kaep was looking for decent money, so it won't be "just cut him if he sucks."

That was a long time ago when he first got out of his contract with Niners.  You don’t know what he would really sign for today.  

39 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That was a long time ago when he first got out of his contract with Niners.  You don’t know what he would really sign for today.  

Neither do you. So I guess all we have to go on is what he was demanding at that time, as well as him demanding $20M from the XFL.

15 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Neither do you. So I guess all we have to go on is what he was demanding at that time, as well as him demanding $20M from the XFL.

Difference is, I’m not claiming he would sign for this or that like you are.  And you are conveniently choosing to ignore his agent saying he would sign to compete as a backup too when he did his workouts.  And he isn’t likely asking for $20m for that.  You hate him, that’s fine, but stop pushing this dumb narrative that he’s gonna ask for a gazillion dollars.  He could, but we also don’t know that and more recent info suggests that’s not the case.  

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Difference is, I’m not claiming he would sign for this or that like you are.  And you are conveniently choosing to ignore his agent saying he would sign to compete as a backup too when he did his workouts.  And he isn’t likely asking for $20m for that.  You hate him, that’s fine, but stop pushing this dumb narrative that he’s gonna ask for a gazillion dollars.  He could, but we also don’t know that and more recent info suggests that’s not the case.  

Sign to compete for a backup does not mean that he will take zero guaranteed money and thus be a zero risk signing.

The obvious point, Alpha, is that a team strapped for cap this season like the Pats, would not want to sign Kaep if he’s asking for $5M with $2M guaranteed. 

If you could provide any kind of evidence that he will sign for a vet minimum, without any guarantees, then you could argue that “they can just cut him if it doesn’t work out.” But we have no evidence of that.

• Like (+1) 1

If Kaep wanted to play my hunch is he could find a team willing to give him veteran minimum contract and bring him to camp.

The better question and more interesting scenario is where will Cam Newton end up.  Cam is better than most QBs starting including Allen and Darnold right now. He would be the best QB in AFC East.  Cam has to prove his shoulder is ok and Allen/Darnold need to prove they can get better.  Allen has always been my guy but if I had to pick one QB for just 2020  and no consideration of the need for future years, I'd take Newton to get the Bills into a deep playoff run.  

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

If Kaep wanted to play my hunch is he could find a team willing to give him veteran minimum contract and bring him to camp.

The better question and more interesting scenario is where will Cam Newton end up.  Cam is better than most QBs starting including Allen and Darnold right now. He would be the best QB in AFC East.  Cam has to prove his shoulder is ok and Allen/Darnold need to prove they can get better.  Allen has always been my guy but if I had to pick one QB for just 2020  and no consideration of the need for future years, I'd take Newton to get the Bills into a deep playoff run.  

With the shoulder problems, Cam may be done.

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Man you need to read better lol.  I said saw some friends discussing the “rumors” online.  I literally said in my title “rumor and speculation only”.  Then wrote this as a “what if” question only.  Yet here you are mocking I heard from Pats friends?  

Are you capable of participating in any convo with out opening with a smart a** comment?  Asking for a friend...

that wouldn't be a Pats friend, would it?

i kid... i kid....

• Haha (+1) 1