Rumor/Speculation only: Will Pats sign Kapernick?

Kapernick and Pats?  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Pats to sign Kapernick

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t care either way
  2. 2. Who would win the starting job?

• Kapernick
    • Stidham
  3. 3. Who would the Pats win more games with?

• Kapernick
    • Stidham

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So I got several Pats fan friends on social media talking about the rumors and speculation that the Pats could sign Kap.  And all of them are hoping it happens surprisingly.  

Me:  I don’t think so.  I think BB really wants to try and do his latest Matt Cassel like job of taking a guy who is basically unknown and unheralded young QB and prove he can win still without a “Tom Brady”.  Just my opinion of course. 

BUT...what if they did sign Kap and let him battle for the starting job?  Seems some recent polls show majority of Pats fans would support this.  From a story perspective, I think this would be interesting to watch.  Get him back in and on a huge stage.  Be a great message in our climate for one, and a great opportunity for Kap in terms of how he could get back in the league.  

As a Bills fan, I’d be stoked to see Pats have another distraction to go with the “Life after Brady” distraction haha.  

So what are your thoughts?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.metrowestdailynews.com/sports/20200606/daniels-poll-majority-of-patriots-fans-in-favor-of-bringing-on-colin-kaepernick-to-qb-competition%3ftemplate=ampart

My thought is I hope they sign him, he was not a good QB in 2016 and he will probably be worse now. I think if they sign him it will be for good PR, not his football ability. 

4 hours ago, tcampbell104 said:

he is definitely not a starter but he is better than a lot of the backups in the league.

When he last played he would have been the best backup- but you must accept backup money 

• Like (+1) 1

Poll was interesting to follow.  While Kap had an early lead, it got weird where people said he would win the job but wouldn’t get the team the most wins.  Now it’s a nice lead by Stidham in both categories.

Obviously, odds are it’s never gonna happen.  But would be fun to watch if it did lol.  

• Like (+1) 1

Several reasons why this won't happen (I won't comment about politics):

- He is not a BB type of QB who can run a system efficiently

- He is not a good QB, period

- Rusty and no one is sure if he can even play at the sub-par level of 2016

Hence , along with Alpha's Pats friends , I too wish the above is ignored and that they sign him. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 4

I would love it, it would mean that the pats will win no more than 5 games with no future at QB until they draft one

Kap would be a great back up that could play and go .500 in a few games if needed to start, but look at his last year starting in the NFL. Teams figured him out and is no better than a back up QB.

Mainly, I just don't want the Pats to have a franchise QB again for decades.  I want them to average 1 QB a year for years, like the Bills & Browns did, while their fans continue to hold the high bar set by Brady and are unhappy with everyone.  I want to see that fanbase have debates that rival Edwards v. Losman, and Peterman v. Taylor.  I hope they lead the league in pick sixes thrown every season, as well as in fewest passing yards and fewest passing TD's.

Sorry...what was the question again?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Success said:

Mainly, I just don't want the Pats to have a franchise QB again for decades.  I want them to average 1 QB a year for years, like the Bills & Browns did, while their fans continue to hold the high bar set by Brady and are unhappy with everyone.  I want to see that fanbase have debates that rival Edwards v. Losman, and Peterman v. Taylor.  I hope they lead the league in pick sixes thrown every season, as well as in fewest passing yards and fewest passing TD's.

Sorry...what was the question again?

At least this year, with Stidham, many of your wishes could very well come true. I can’t wait. I just hope their defense is still good enough to win them just enough games to take them out of the running for whichever top-tier QB comes out next year (I assume that’s Lawrence right now, but a lot can change.)

3 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Several reasons why this won't happen (I won't comment about politics):

- He is not a BB type of QB who can run a system efficiently

- He is not a good QB, period

- Rusty and no one is sure if he can even play at the sub-par level of 2016

Hence , along with Alpha's Pats friends , I too wish the above is ignored and that they sign him. 

But what about his Guevara t-shirts ? BB probably has several of his own. Or Not

8 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-england-patriots/

So where exactly would the patriots get the $20 million or whatever to sign him? Doesn't look like they have ANY real cap space left...

There are loads of pretty simple ways for them to make space because they are only facing a 2020 crunch. Their cap is pretty healthy long term. They could easily go to Gilmore or McCourty and move some money around in their deals. They could extend Thuney and lower his cap hit for 2020 as against the tag price, they can cut Sanu, and they can backload the numbers on any deal they do with a QB. 

Kap wouldn't be getting anywhere close to $20m either IMO. 

But it is all irrelevant because they won't sign him.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Kaepernick can’t throw from the pocket & wants $20M/year. I would love for the Pats to sign him so he could stink up the joint. D Coordinators figured him out this would be the best-case scenario.

I agree that I don't think Kaepernick can throw from the pocket.

But he's not going to be turning down offers at this point because of money, or at least not unless the offers are downright insulting, like veteran minimum or something. He might even accept that, things being what they are.

13 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

My thought is I hope they sign him, he was not a good QB in 2016 and he will probably be worse now. I think if they sign him it will be for good PR, not his football ability. 

When he last played he would have been the best backup- but you must accept backup money 

My only issue is - in a 12 personnel grouping he's a running threat.  He wouldn't be getting lamar jackson numbers, but you saw how successful ball control and defense was for them last year.  NE already has a defense thats pretty beast, and good at taking the ball away.  Add another dynamic threat to their run game and it could be a pretty big problem.  

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Who would win the starting job?

it’s a trick question 

who wins it by talent and knowledge of the playbook.  

or we made our choice already and Stidman won

You can't bring in CK and just go - we're running the tom brady offense.  It's the same reason you couldn't bring in Cam.  Rocket arms, not the type of pinpoint accuracy that makes a bunch of short stuff into bigger stuff - but they can move the pocket and make some plays with their feet when necessary.  

3 hours ago, dneveu said:

My only issue is - in a 12 personnel grouping he's a running threat.  He wouldn't be getting lamar jackson numbers, but you saw how successful ball control and defense was for them last year.  NE already has a defense thats pretty beast, and good at taking the ball away.  Add another dynamic threat to their run game and it could be a pretty big problem.  

I will  state if CK signs there they will be mostly in the 12 formation, but LJ is quicker and shiftier than CK, and LJ made you pay on his throws where CK never did after his one great year.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I will  state if CK signs there they will be mostly in the 12 formation, but LJ is quicker and shiftier than CK, and LJ made you pay on his throws where CK never did after his one great year.

LJ was able to hit on more deep throws last year.  He's also more accurate on those TE throws.  Roman WR's typically run a ton of hitches/outs/fly routes so its simple to read for the QB, and then the TE's kind of work off of that.  Lots of condensed sets to make it easier to run the ball, and identify mis-matches post-snap.  

Kaepernick had the arm strength for all those, but he'd sail a lot.  He also held the ball more, resulting in more sacks.  

As much as I'd love to see both Kaeperick & the Pats fail, I don't want that POS to get another NFL job. Even if he was a backup, coverage of him would dominate sports news for the whole season, I'd rather burn my eyes with a blowtorch than have to suffer through that.

Imagine ESPN covering the Bills AFC Championship Game win for 45 seconds, before a 5 minute segment on Kaepernick & his latest protest...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1