Shaq Lawson weighs in about some of our QBs.

On 6/7/2020 at 7:52 AM, bmur66 said:

Not sure what you meant but Drew Brees is an awesome stand up guy whose actions speak louder than his words. I don't think he needs anything explained to him nor does he owe anyone an apology. These are my words. Sometimes peoples disrespect is so loud that you can't hear what they are saying.

Drew Brees has cultivated the image of an awesome stand up guy through first class public relations work.  Celebrities are no different than you or I.  Just because we watch them every Sunday does not mean we know them at all.

12 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

“20K of ice.” That was Shaw’s response after he left the locker room the day he had that dust up with Fournet. Also several of the players, including Shaq, matter of fact he spearheaded it, went to a jeweler’s almost immediately when the Bills went to Houston for the play-offs. Jordan Phillips was 1 of the several. The Bills lost and neither Lawson or Phillips are on the team anymore. I wonder if they weren’t a cultural fit despite their production during the season and if that had as much as anything else for not retaining either of them. Everybody has priorities and I wonder if theirs’ weren’t matching up with Beane/McDermott’s.

It had nothing to do about culture fit.  Buffalo did not want to pay them what they were getting in the FA market.  I don't think either player will be missed much with Addison in the lineup and Oliver/Phillips taking more snaps.

• Like (+1) 1

Shaq Lawson's comments here prove most players are as loyal to where their paycheck comes from and once that changes, the 'loyalty' they showed to that team and city pretty much disappears into thin air. Most of us have to stop pretending we know some of these players. It's all about the cash.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’d rather have Shaq then a 34 YO Addison. Dude looked like he was on the decline last season. While Shaq is no pass rush beast, he is starting to develop into a solid end all around.... he’s better than Addison at this point and it will show this year IMO.

I don’t think Phillips will be missed as much. Love the Jefferson signing and if Butler plays like he did last year their line is going to be an absolute force inside. 

People seem to automatically assume since Whaley drafted the player he doesn’t fit the Bills current “culture”. It’s asinine. 

Addison is better than Sha and if he declines, his deal is easier to escape.

Paying role players like Shaq $10M AAV is a mistake.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It really depends as to how Shaq progresses, if he does at all. I think the question is how much Shaq needs to improve in order to justify the contract.

I have no issues with what Shaq said.  If I was in his shoes I would feel the same.  Nothing wrong with having an issue with something stupid and racially charged that some young white kid said.  

That being said, can’t wait to watch him get juked, stiff armed and tossed a few times each game by Allen on his way to touchdowns and first downs ha. 

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’d rather have Shaq then a 34 YO Addison. Dude looked like he was on the decline last season. While Shaq is no pass rush beast, he is starting to develop into a solid end all around.... he’s better than Addison at this point and it will show this year IMO.

I don’t think Phillips will be missed as much. Love the Jefferson signing and if Butler plays like he did last year their line is going to be an absolute force inside. 

People seem to automatically assume since Whaley drafted the player he doesn’t fit the Bills current “culture”. It’s asinine. 

People assume all personnel moves are driven by culture now.  The simple math of having a strong roster is there will be annual churn.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yup.  And then there's Epenesa waiting in the wings.

2 hours ago, Reader said:

It really depends as to how Shaq progresses, if he does at all. I think the question is how much Shaq needs to improve in order to justify the contract.

I don't think he'll ever be a 10 sack guy. I don't think that they got him to be that.  Between him and Ogbah they've got edge setters to help with their terrible rush defense.  Wilkins another year in and adding van noy as a rusher should help the pass rush too.  They went the secondary route to get tougher against the pass.  

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Watch some of Addison last season. He looked like he lost a step and this is supported by his QB pressures bring way down. 

And what are they paying Addison?

Everything is culture driven.... until Jake Fromm...

Addison can be cut in one year with $4M in dead money. Shaq’s deal does not have the same flexibility.

Try to understand the contracts before opining on them.

Edited by FireChans

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I agree, Shaq will be better than Addison this year. Although our D shouldn't miss a beat.

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

He's far from a bust

Busts flake out of the league. He's arguably our best D end last year

Why is he gone?   He was a good "Edge Setter".  Dud played like an "Irish Setter"

2 minutes ago, Irv said:

Why is he gone?   He was a good "Edge Setter".  Dud played like an "Irish Setter"

I don't know what games you were watching last year but he was really good. He'll never be a 15 sack guy, but he's a really good complete end

He's never been a McDermott guy, so maybe this was the easiest time for him to let him walk without paying in 30 million dollars. It definitely wasn't because he's a crappy football player

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't know what games you were watching last year but he was really good. He'll never be a 15 sack guy, but he's a really good complete end

He's never been a McDermott guy, so maybe this was the easiest time for him to let him walk without paying in 30 million dollars. It definitely wasn't because he's a crappy football player

I don't remember a single game he played in his career when I was wowed.   Maybe I should blame Whaley for selecting and injured, edge setting, DE in R1.

Per PFF, Lawson was the NFL's 51st best edge defender with a 67.9 overall grade last season

Edited by Irv

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He's far from a bust

Busts flake out of the league. He's arguably our best D end last year

Don't argue about busts here- many people who post here feel unless a guy is a all-star he is a bust. I agree he is not even close to a bust but it depends on your rationale.

6 minutes ago, Irv said:

I don't remember a single game he played in his career when I was wowed.   Maybe I should blame Whaley for selecting and injured, edge setting, DE in R1.

Maybe you should blame Rex Ryan for stunting his growth and making him a 34 end for  for 2 years

And this whole edge setter thing is ridiculous. Different teams use different defensive schemes and techniques and most defensive ends are not sack artist's statistically

He played a seven technique for the majority of his career under McDermott whose job was to play The run and set the edge first. Gap control football and rush on 3rd down

he was not playing a nine technique which is allowed to pin his ears back and go wild all the time

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1