Shaq Lawson weighs in about some of our QBs.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Anyone that hasn’t looked into the Allen tweets at this point is speaking from a position of ignorance.

He was a kid quoting hip hop lyrics and Modern Family. Ill-advised given the subject matter? Sure. Racist at all? Nope.

You mean Fromm tweets?  This is interesting re: hip hop lyrics and Modern Family.  I just figured it was a dumb joke, but did not think it was racist.

8 minutes ago, Happy said:

You mean Fromm tweets?  This is interesting re: hip hop lyrics and Modern Family.  I just figured it was a dumb joke, but did not think it was racist.

No, Josh's tweets from several years ago.  Released right before he was drafted.

7 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I didn’t see any of this posted yet but thought it might be of interest due to the potential state of the Bills’. 

Lawson tweeted about Fromm couldn’t be his teammate and that he had to check Josh Allen when he first came to Buffalo because of some of Allen’s earlier comments while he was still in college. I wonder how many other Bills’ players share Lawson’s sentiments. 

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/06/former-buffalo-bills-de-shaq-lawson-tells-jake-fromm-you-couldnt-be-a-teammate-of-mine.html?outputType=amp

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/06/06/shaq-lawson-check-josh-allen-buffalo-bills-jake-fromm-drafted/amp/

I believe, based on this and that I heard, that Allen likely had to work his way through a pile of skepticism about his character when he came into the league from teammates.  The tweets were from HS, and could be shown to be quotes from the sitcom Modern Family, and getting someone like Stephen Smith to speak to that pretty quickly may have helped.

Allen clearly has a natural ability to connect with people and I think it wore off pretty quickly with his teammates and by the end of his rookie season through the league.

Maybe someone who is more plugged in to locker rooms like @Kirby Jackson could comment or refute what Allen had to work through and how it's gone. 

Fromm said stuff that was more directly connected to Georgia's racial history and more recent on his part. 

I think he intended them as just kidding around, but kidding around about making a weapon so expensive only "elite whites" can own it might come across very differently to a black man when across the South and specifically in GA. GA did exactly that - systematically disarmed black citizens both by terror and specifically by 1896 legislation that required a license that was prohibitively expensive to obtain (it was not enforced on whites).  The law was enforced through the Civil Rights era.  Unarmed black men and women were then subject to lynching.  The most recent known mob lynching took place at Moore's Ford Bridge in Walton County GA in 1946.  A large number of townspeople witnessed but the case was never solved.  There's a meticulously researched book about it, "Fire in a Cane Brake", if anyone has a strong stomach and wants to be educated.  The victims were a black sharecropper who was in jail awaiting trial for a stabbing he committed (zero chance he would have gotten off), an "uppity" returned WWII Veteran, and their wives (one of whom was 7 months pregnant).

If he wishes to redeem himself in the eyes of his teammates, Fromm is handicapped right now by being unable to meet in person.  I imagine a lot of folks are reaching out to his GA teammates though, asking "is this some ignorant ***** or is that how he rolls?"

• Like (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, Happy said:

Allen's tweets were hip-hop lyrics and Modern Family.  In a savvy move right after they came out, Allen reached out to Stephen Smith who confirmed that he had himself verified that, on-air, along with saying Allen did not excuse them for that, he took responsibility and said it was wrong.

See explanation why Fromm's apparently nothing-burger remarks look like dumb jokes to me (and to you) but might come across differently to black men in my prev. post especially in view of current events

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Allen's tweets were hip-hop lyrics and Modern Family.  In a savvy move right after they came out, Allen reached out to Stephen Smith who confirmed that he had himself verified that, on-air, along with saying Allen did not excuse them for that, he took responsibility and said it was wrong.

See explanation why Fromm's apparently nothing-burger remarks look like dumb jokes to me (and to you) but might come across differently to black men in my prev. post especially in view of current events

Ah, got it...thanks.  I can see how black men would take offense to Fromm's joke.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I believe, based on this and that I heard, that Allen likely had to work his way through a pile of skepticism about his character when he came into the league from teammates.  The tweets were from HS, and could be shown to be quotes from the sitcom Modern Family, and getting someone like Stephen Smith to speak to that pretty quickly may have helped.

Allen clearly has a natural ability to connect with people and I think it wore off pretty quickly with his teammates and by the end of his rookie season through the league.

Maybe someone who is more plugged in to locker rooms like @Kirby Jackson could comment or refute what Allen had to work through and how it's gone. 

Fromm said stuff that was more directly connected to Georgia's racial history and more recent on his part. 

I think he intended them as just kidding around, but kidding around about making a weapon so expensive only "elite whites" can own it might come across very differently to a black man when across the South and specifically in GA. GA did exactly that - systematically disarmed black citizens both by terror and specifically by 1896 legislation that required a license that was prohibitively expensive to obtain (it was not enforced on whites).  The law was enforced through the Civil Rights era.  Unarmed black men and women were then subject to lynching.  The most recent known mob lynching took place at Moore's Ford Bridge in Walton County GA in 1946.  A large number of townspeople witnessed but the case was never solved.  There's a meticulously researched book about it, "Fire in a Cane Brake", if anyone has a strong stomach and wants to be educated.  The victims were a black sharecropper who was in jail awaiting trial for a stabbing he committed (zero chance he would have gotten off), an "uppity" returned WWII Veteran, and their wives (one of whom was 7 months pregnant).

If he wishes to redeem himself in the eyes of his teammates, Fromm is handicapped right now by being unable to meet in person.  I imagine a lot of folks are reaching out to his GA teammates though, asking "is this some ignorant ***** or is that how he rolls?"

I really don’t know Hap. I know that he had to earn trust after the tweets. It seems like Allen is in good with that locker room now. I could be wrong but it appears that way. 

Nothing like a baited race war and hot topic bull#### to further divide people. The stats across the board say this is a non-issue.

Like we are all supposed to bow and acknowledge privilege we don't even have. These big mouth clowns pocket millions and yet want to spout off about our priviledge and want us to bow to their demands. I guess it's my privilege to work 60 hours a week so I can barely afford to take my family to a game, only to  watch the players cry, kneel and pout about injustice while they drive off in cars that cost more than our houses.

There is no racial divide, it's an economic divide. Poor people of all races suffer injustice across the board. I feel for the hard working people of the black community who deserve better, but my heart does not go out to thugs looting the streets and destroying the lives of their own people as well as other hard working small businesses.

We will see what happens if the league folds and if these players lose their privilege of playing a Childs game for a king's ransom.. Then we will see  a change of tune. Or if the NFL reverts to back in the 60's and 70's where athletes made the same wages as working people.   Shaq can kiss off. Glad he is gone. Candace Owens should be the NFL Commisoner. She'd put an end to this insanity real quick.

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Nothing like a baited race war and hot topic bull#### to further divide people. Like we are all supposed to bow and acknowledge privilege we don't even have. These big mouth clowns pocket millions and yet want to spout off about our priviledge and want us to bow to their demands. I guess it's my privilege to work 60 hours a week so I can barely afford to take my family to a game, only to  watch the players cry, kneel and pout about injustice.

There is no racial divide, it's an economic divide. Poor people of all races suffer injustice across the board. I feel for the hard working people of the black community who deserve better, but my heart does not go out to thugs looting the streets and destroying the lives of their own people as well as other hard working small businesses.

We will see what happens if the league folds and if these players lose their privilege of playing a Childs game for a king's ransom.. Then we will see  a change of tune. Or if the NFL reverts to back in the 60's and 70's where athletes made the same wages as working people.   She can kiss a brick. Candace Owens should be the NFK Commisoner. She'd put an end to this insanity real quick.

???

46 minutes ago, Happy said:

No, I mean the Allen tweets from when he was 17. Fromm’s controversy isn’t tweet-related; it’s a text message 

2 hours ago, bmur66 said:

Not sure what you meant but Drew Brees is an awesome stand up guy whose actions speak louder than his words. I don't think he needs anything explained to him nor does he owe anyone an apology. These are my words. Sometimes peoples disrespect is so loud that you can't hear what they are saying.

Ok. But when the person himself says he needs to understand more, maybe you should take him for what HE says. Personally I think Drew is a standup guy as well. I don’t think he meant any harm. Now Drew spoke with other people and felt the need to apologize. 

• Like (+1) 1