2020 Election is officially Trump vs Biden

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

When people are excited about a Dem, they win (Kennedy, Clinton, Obama).  Lost in all the excuse making they made last time, the Dems just couldn’t admit that no one was excited about Hitlery and that cost them.  Same problem this time.

Now, four years of relentless campaigning and scare tactics by the media (in addition to Trump’s own stupidity) on behalf on the Dems may be just enough to push a near-invalid into office, but generally it is very difficult to elect someone who excites and inspires no one.

I always hear that media narrative by the right as a built in excuse when they dominate talk radio and have the number one cable news network.  Having said that, I'm well aware of Biden's weaknesses and was surprised he won the primaries.  The best case I can make for him is people are sick about talking about politics and just want the status quo back.  "Trump fatigue" if you will.

What's interesting about Trump's strategy so far is he's trying to tie Biden in with the radical left when he's basically been a neoliberal centrist his whole public career.  It won't work.  Trump's campaign should focus more on substance including his Iraq War vote, NAFTA vote, the crime bill vote he helped write, etc...

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I always hear that media narrative by the right as a built in excuse when they dominate talk radio and have the number one cable news network.  Having said that, I'm well aware of Biden's weaknesses and was surprised he won the primaries.  The best case I can make for him is people are sick about talking about politics and just want the status quo back.  "Trump fatigue" if you will.

What's interesting about Trump's strategy so far is he's trying to tie Biden in with the radical left when he's basically been a neoliberal centrist his whole public career.  It won't work.  Trump's campaign should focus more on substance including his Iraq War vote, NAFTA vote, the crime bill vote he helped write, etc...

Define the status quo. 

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Trump is tying Biden to the neoliberals bc the rioting and stuff scares middle America.

I think in the larger run, you’re right. It won’t work, because it sounds hollow from someone who allowed them to run amok. Hard to run as the, “if you vote for Biden, you get riots and no police” when that’s happenening under Trump.

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Seriously? Biden has succumbed to every crazy idea from the Left.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/06/27/all_dem_candidates_raise_hand_when_asked_if_illegal_immigrants_should_get_health_care_coverage_at_debate.html#!

The only way Joe Biden snatches defeat from the jaws of victory is a VP choice that puts the fear into moderates.

Biden's fragile mental capacity will be put on display in the debates and America is ultimately choosing between Trump and that VP.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I largely agree with this.  Which is why Trump needs to retire sleepy joe with Weak Joe Biden.  You can associate Biden’s incoherencies and diminishing mental state with the radical left wing. How?  By making it clear that a vote for Joe is not a vote for Joe Biden but his radical left wing handlers.   That if you vote for him you are voting for AOC to run his energy policy and then list all the wacky things in the green new deal.   Then you forcefully make the case that Joe won’t stand up to the left wing mob.  That he won’t stand up to defund the police and tearing down of statues and cancel culture.  That he is too weak to stand up against them.   

That is how you tie the two together.

But you are right about the Trump fatigue.  It’s real.

And then you have Trump who continues to be his own worst enemy.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Magox said:

I largely agree with this.  Which is why Trump needs to retire sleepy joe with Weak Joe Biden.  You can associate Biden’s incoherencies and diminishing mental state with the radical left wing. How?  By making it clear that a vote for Joe is not a vote for Joe Biden but his radical left wing handlers.   That if you vote for him you are voting for AOC to run his energy policy and then list all the wacky things in the green new deal.   Then you forcefully make the case that Joe won’t stand up to the left wing mob.  That he won’t stand up to defund the police and tearing down of statues and cancel culture.  That he is too weak to stand up against them.   

That is how you tie the two together.

But you are right about the Trump fatigue.  It’s real.

And then you have Trump who continues to be his own worst enemy.

This election isn’t about Joe - it’s all about Trump.

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

There's no question that 'Trump fatigue' will be the deciding factor if he loses.  Generally it takes 8 years for the country to get fatigued with a candidate/party but Trump may very well compress that into four years.   I think he's made a huge error in not toning down the twitter crap and maintaining a cavalier attitude over COVID;  it has allowed the left to paint the b.s. narrative that Trump is somehow responsible for a 'delayed response' when the fact is the scientific community and WHO were downplaying the ability of the disease to spread well into March.

If there was an honest accounting of Trump based solely on his policies, he'd be reelected in a walk.

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, KD in CA said:

When people are excited about a Dem, they win (Kennedy, Clinton, Obama).  Lost in all the excuse making they made last time, the Dems just couldn’t admit that no one was excited about Hitlery and that cost them.  Same problem this time.

Now, four years of relentless campaigning and scare tactics by the media (in addition to Trump’s own stupidity) on behalf on the Dems may be just enough to push a near-invalid into office, but generally it is very difficult to elect someone who excites and inspires no one.

Generally it might be. But in this historical moment, Biden might still end up winning even if he's in a coma on Election day.

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Generally it might be. But in this historical moment, Biden might still end up winning even if he's in a coma on Election day.

Yup...If the left and their media can convince a stupid public that racism and viruses are 'Trump's fault', it just might be.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Flat out false.  He rejected medicare for all, the defund the police movement, banning fracking on private land, wealth tax, wall street speculation tax, free college, tax increases for the middle class, college debt forgiveness, etc..  The difficult part will be sticking to those positions.  

As far as that question he claimed he didn't understand the question which I actually believe given his declining mental capacities that the right will be pushing.  Plus, he was VP to the "deporter in chief" so I don't even know if that moment will stick.  What won Biden the nominee is primary voters saw him as more of an old guard moderate democrat and were afraid Bernie's policies were too extreme for a general election.  The older democratic voters flat out rejected Bernie in large numbers in the Midwest and other important swing states (FL, AZ, NC).

I think Trump's team is realizing associating him with the hard left is a tough sell and they need to hit him on actual unpopular policy positions he's taken in the past.

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Yup...If the left and their media can convince a stupid public that racism and viruses are 'Trump's fault', it just might be.

Well, I donno... they are trying desperately to pin the rioting and looting on him, but since it is all Democratic run cities, it is having some trouble sticking (it is not like the feds are in charge of local police departments). They were desperate to have him bring in the military so they could screech what a dictator he is (kinda like the ploys they have tried in the past against Republican Presidents who have bit on an opp), instead we watched local officials allow anarchists burn their own cities to the ground.

Antifa has been declared a terrorist organization (follow the money), the statues being toppled have had regular old non-political folks doing a WTF, so they are going after those people on a federal level (no get out of jail quick card there)... I think the Ds ran this opp a little too soon. If they had waited until August, maybe September, they'd have had a better chance to muddy the waters. However, IF (and this is a big IF) the follow-the-money leads to some sort of charges against some big name donors to the anarchists, that could be a blow to the Democrats.

We shall see what the rest of the summer brings. Chaz is done (winnable lawsuits will do that) and the anarchists were using chalk to "deface" on statues yesterday instead of spray paint and toppling (funny what looking at a hefty fine and 10 years in prison will do). Now the question is if people are smart enough to blame their local government (you know, the people in charge of local law and order) for police stand-down orders, allowing the rioting and looting to go on, etc., and if they do, how that will impact voting in November.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1