Goodell Admits NFL Was Wrong Not to Listen

K-9

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Some of it’s the nature of the league too. The NBA players don’t wear helmets. They are the most recognizable athletes in the country. I could pick out a role player on the Sacramento Kings but didn’t know who a few of those guys in that video were by face. There’s nothing that the NFL can do about that but it is absolutely a factor.

that’s a great point. 

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Such a bunch of absolute scumbags.

What he meant was: 

"Please keep giving us your money.  And don't stop."

This guy would say ANYTHING to keep the golden goose happy and laying eggs.

Except that three years ago their position was a complete 180 from today’s announcement. 

47 minutes ago, K-9 said:

And Kaepernick being named the NFL’s Chief Community Liaison. 

Avert. 

Nothing against kneeling to protest, but Kaep with his GF who compares a team owner to a slave owner, his pig socks, and his Che Gueverra shirts is way too much of a loose cannon.  It would be like appointing Richard Sherman except without the brains and the self-restraint.

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I didn’t give a crap about working in insurance until I saw what the senior guys were making. I’m sure most lawyers don’t give a crap about law school. They care about the payout at the end. What’s the difference?

LOL...I absolutely LOVE listening to people

like you! It warms my heart!

I am so looking forward to what is coming down the pike in this country!

Better arm yourselves, boys and girls!

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

LOL...I absolutely LOVE listening to people

like you! It warms my heart!

I am so looking forward to what is coming down the pike in this country!

Better arm yourselves, boys and girls!

Not sure what this means...

Does anyone use school for anything other than to make as much money as they can? 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 hour ago, LB3 said:

Try your silent, legal protest at work on the company dime when it matters. See how protected you are. Your overall point is nonsense.

The COO of my company handed out MAGA hats at our sales meeting to the entire company. I threw it in the garbage. I was very open with my company, boss, and COO that I wouldn’t wear that hat and if they wanted me to, I would just quit. And I was absolutely not joking. I would have walked. 

I got my 2nd promotion in the last year about 60 days after that. And received 2 awards at that same sales meeting. Our COO does all of the hirings and promotions himself. So it’s not like things just happen beneath him. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

there are some interesting articles out there re why the NFL and NBA have been so different on social justice. While I think Silver has been a more outspoken advocate of social justice issues than Goodell, one of the key differences that people point to is the leadership of the players. The superstars in the NBA all hold high-level positions in the union executive power structure. In the NFL, the back-up scrub olinemen seem to hold those positions.  

I think you have completely different fan bases too. Both the NBA and NFL are businesses that depend on fans going to and watching the game. Remember the **** storm that Steelers fans rained down on the their team after they stayed in the locker room during the anthem? I can't imagine any NBA fan base reacting anywhere close to that level if an NBA team did that.

I do agree as well that star power has a lot to do with it as well. Problem is, how many of the star QB's in the NFL kneeled? Maybe one or two? I think if four years ago players like Brady, Brees, Big Ben etc. took a knee for the anthem it would have been received a bit more openly. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

I think that misses the point. It’s not about players kneeling, it’s about the NFL admitting that they were wrong about there being a systemic problem with police brutality in the black community. 

Did they ever say their wasn't? Honestly, just asking because I don't know. It would seem odd to me if they actually came out with a statement that said they didn't think their was a systemic problem with police brutality. I would think they would have at least taken some sort of middle ground.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I think you have completely different fan bases too. Both the NBA and NFL are businesses that depend on fans going to and watching the game. Remember the **** storm that Steelers fans rained down on the their team after they stayed in the locker room during the anthem? I can't imagine any NBA fan base reacting anywhere close to that level if an NBA team did that.

I do agree as well that star power has a lot to do with it as well. Problem is, how many of the star QB's in the NFL kneeled? Maybe one or two? I think if four years ago players like Brady, Brees, Big Ben etc. took a knee for the anthem it would have been received a bit more openly. 

It’s the right place for the NFL to be morally and ethically, so I won’t throw any shade at them at this very moment. Long term it is good for business. Regressives are showing to be on the wrong side of history more and more every day. I’d rather piss off some conservatives for 6 months, who will most likely eventually come back, rather than be in textbooks for making the wrong decisions for too long. 

• Like (+1) 1

I guess the cool thing to do is throw shade on the NFL being so racist that the majority of their millionaires (players) are minorities?

Oh my bad there's not enough coaches or gm's that are minorities also.

No way they would hire the most qualified person. They don't like championships.

But I guess hiring people on merit would be wrong. Thats prejudice. They should make hiring decisions based on skin color cause there's not enough of each kind of color. That's what true equality is?

Dang they didn't want people to disrespect our country. The same country that has helped fund their business with our tax dollars and stadium deals. Thats so racist. Glad they got it right. 

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

And arguably NOT better than many QBs in the league at same price especially after he changed his diet post football.

Once they get Kaep back on the steroid program, he'll be fine.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

48 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Jackie Robinson did by doing it in game rather than an action before game.  There is a big difference.  If he was less successful it would not have made as much as an impact.

But the point of this part of the thread was the linking between social causes and sports. I stand by the Jackie Robinson example.  He had to stand tall and be an example before ever setting foot on the field. I know it's not a perfect analogy, but it wasn't meant to be. Again, the link between social causes and sports was the conversation topic.

44 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Did they ever say their wasn't? Honestly, just asking because I don't know. It would seem odd to me if they actually came out with a statement that said they didn't think their was a systemic problem with police brutality. I would think they would have at least taken some sort of middle ground.

They never addressed the issue one way or the other, let alone take an official stance on the matter. Today, they officially went on record as supporting the players and what they were protesting all along and admitted they were wrong in not doing so previously, including the support of the BLM movement. Sure, actions speak louder than Goodell’s words, but these new words are sea change compared to where they were before.

Good point about the star QBs. None of them joined in taking a knee. The most they would do is lock arms n the sideline in a show of unity, iirc. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Cynical response would be, ‘Players are allowed to kneel during anthem’, but with no fans in stadium who will see it?

thats when it will fall on NBC, CBS, FOX and ESPN to show the players kneeling.  EVERY WEEK.

When the kneeling started, after a period, the networks just stopped showing the national anthem.

Does everyone realize that an enormously  politically powerful group of multi billionaires have sided with the center left of our countries politics on our countries biggest social justice issue? guess who’s winning the culture war in America folks,  it ain’t the “ they are disrespecting the nation’s military personnel by taking a knee” crowd. The billionaire NFL owners just dumped those types on their combined backsides. Its about time! 
Semper FI America!!!  Six years in the USMC. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Obviously there are a lot of serious issues worth talking about at the moment. But on a slightly lighter note...

It would be very nice to see the NFL visually take a stand to start the season with home teams in these (old idea but still) and the players that wish the kneel, kneeling. 

https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Blackout-Uniforms-For-Every-NFL-Team-119880563/

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

agreed. The NFL makes like double the money and has double the fan base of the NBA, and it sweeps across all political spectrums (red, blue, purple). 

2 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

No kidding. Which is why I found being called "weak" for acting professionally on the job a bit odd.

What on earth would I have to gain by it? A smug sense of self gratification? That won't pay my hefty Verizon bill.

I see that you're having difficulty putting this into perspective.  In your place of work, do you not stand up for what you believe in?  Do you not professionally challenge your superiors?  If not, that's an unhealthy work environment.  

I guess I'm lucky.  Where I work, if I disagree with something, I'm comfortable saying so.  Your definition of "acting professionally," appears to be silently taking orders, whether you agree with them or not.  To me, that's weak, I'm sorry.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1