Goodell Admits NFL Was Wrong Not to Listen

K-9

I see more players taking a knee, will we get to see if Americans believe in Americans exercising their constitutional rights.  There will be a noisy minority that can’t live with it...  for the majority of Americans it will be an honored tradition. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

there are some interesting articles out there re why the NFL and NBA have been so different on social justice. While I think Silver has been a more outspoken advocate of social justice issues than Goodell, one of the key differences that people point to is the leadership of the players. The superstars in the NBA all hold high-level positions in the union executive power structure. In the NFL, the back-up scrub olinemen seem to hold those positions.  

Yep. And NFL superstars like Brees ...

6 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

What big changes are we going to get? Players are allowed to kneel? Lol. Nothing to see here. 

i would hope the league is preparing to make more overtures than just that, but it’s a slim hope.

5 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

What big changes are we going to get? Players are allowed to kneel? Lol. Nothing to see here. 

I think that misses the point. It’s not about players kneeling, it’s about the NFL admitting that they were wrong about there being a systemic problem with police brutality in the black community. 

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I see more players taking a knee, will we get to see if Americans believe in Americans exercising their constitutional rights.  There will be a noisy minority that can’t live with it...  for the majority of Americans it will be an honored tradition. 

Yeah, one thing is for sure: If the NFL season goes forward with people in the stands, and you still have an issue with players taking a knee during the anthem, ya better get over it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think it is great what these players did, and represented peaceful, lawful protesting for disgusting unlawful behavior that should be condemned by all.  They handled well, and hope this sparks more change, but in the right way, not breaking the law hurting poor shop owners, many African- American who did not deserve to have their shops looted.  Do it the right way, and most Americans I know and all I’m friends with do not condone this despicable behavior taking advantage of their position in law enforcement.  Just do it right.

As I’ve said before, I pray for the Floyd family.  We should be past this crap.

• Like (+1) 1

This was long overdue. I'm glad the league is finally recognizing this. Too bad it took another murder of a black man for this to happen. I'm an old white guy who hoped the civil rights of the 60's or the Rodney King riots would spark a true change. But it didn't happen. 400 years dating back to 1619 Virginia. White silence must end forever. A true change is comin......

1 minute ago, TuelTime said:

Jay-Z will become an owner and Kaep is going to land a #2 gig. You heard it here first.

We may cut Fromm and sign Kaep. He'd be better than Barkley/ Fromm anyway.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

Most developed nations have police killings in the single digits, so regardless of the color of those killed, we have a problem with our police.

Do you think that the ultimate melting pot of different peoples and cultures doesn't contribute to this?  Difference has always meant conflict.

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'll be happy when the NFL admits that they blackballed Colin Kaepernick to save their image.  Until then, Roger Goodell can go ***** himself.

@Jaraxxus, please tell me what's so funny about this.  Have you ever lost your career for a legal, silent protest?

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

there are some interesting articles out there re why the NFL and NBA have been so different on social justice. While I think Silver has been a more outspoken advocate of social justice issues than Goodell, one of the key differences that people point to is the leadership of the players. The superstars in the NBA all hold high-level positions in the union executive power structure. In the NFL, the back-up scrub olinemen seem to hold those positions.  

Some of it’s the nature of the league too. The NBA players don’t wear helmets. They are the most recognizable athletes in the country. I could pick out a role player on the Sacramento Kings but didn’t know who a few of those guys in that video were by face. There’s nothing that the NFL can do about that but it is absolutely a factor.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

55 minutes ago, Happy said:

Are they going to allow and/or encourage more players to kneel during the Anthem?  If so, will the league (or NFLPA) mandate that Kapernick be brought back?  If my questions are affirmative, oil and water are being mixed by playing the Anthem; I would pull the plug on playing the NA at the beginning of the games if I were Goodell.  The owners have to also keep in mind that they have a going concern with the NFL, and while business is good at this point (revenue wise), it can go downhill.  A balance needs to be reached because nothing is too big to fail.  Social issues and pro sports are not a good combination; people watch and follow sports to get away from the rest of the world for a while.

This entire narrative needs work, in my opinion. You CAN be pro BLM (Kaepernick) AND pro police. We do not need to segregate into a ‘this or that’ proposition...both can exist together. 

I gave a tremendous amount for this country...NOT the anthem. What Kaepernick did was SPECIFICALLY what I fought for: our rights under the Constitution! I have always respected what he did and only wish those of us who see the world as black/white or ones/twos could calm themselves and see a larger picture. ? 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

43 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Reasonable people can disagree on this statement.  i.e. Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier in MLB.  Made baseball much better to watch in the long run.

Concur that black inclusion in pro sports has made them better.  i have to disagree that current events are like Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier.  The league is already integrated and overall is not racist; there may be players here and there, but as a whole racism is not tolerated.  What is happening now concerns race relations with a fraction of the nation's police force.  Players are not prevented from playing sports because of their ethnicity.

• Like (+1) 1

My observation is that 99.9 percent of people are not participating in protests  but the media is providing 24x7 coverage of those that are resulting in a complete lack of perspective of any other 

viewpoints. 

• Like (+1) 1