Goodell Admits NFL Was Wrong Not to Listen

K-9

43 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I think that’s the point of it though.  To use that particular type of platform as a way of putting issues in front of people who could otherwise ignore them.  The fact that it makes some of the people who typically live in relative comfort a little uncomfortable is intentional and designed to make those people stop and think.  All won’t, but some will. 

Well said.  If you are one of the people telling sports journalists to “stick to sports” or telling players to “stick to playing” I think you need to take a good long look at yourself and ask why you are bored/disinterested/threatened by having these racial issues brought to the forefront for discussion.  You, personally, may never be stopped at random by police solely because of your skin color, but why wouldn’t you want to be a part of talking about how to change that dynamic in our society?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

What's good for the bottom line changed, which is why the NFL is changing its stance now.

Execs opened up about wanting to sign Kaep. Kaep didn't get a job because he wasn't a good enough player to justify the 20% projected loss in revenue that a team was going to face by signing him. That takes money out of everyone's pocket and nobody at that time was going to be the owner to do it. 

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Well said.  If you are one of the people telling sports journalists to “stick to sports” or telling players to “stick to playing” I think you need to take a good long look at yourself and ask why you are bored/disinterested/threatened by having these racial issues brought to the forefront for discussion.  You, personally, may never be stopped at random by police solely because of your skin color, but why wouldn’t you want to be a part of talking about how to change that dynamic in our society?

Very well said. 

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Happy, to add some color to you’re comment, here are comp % and QBR by year for Kaepernick.

Year            Comp%.            QBR

2011.           60%                   74.4

2012            62.4%                71.8

2013            58.4%.               65.7

2014            60.5%                60.9

2015            59.0%                43.4

2016            59.2%.               49.5

His last 2 years in 2015 and 1, his team’s record was 3-16.  I remember back in 2017 Ross Tucker on NFLR made the argument regardless of his political protest (which I disagree morally, but he has a legal right to do it), he was regressing as a QB.  

His decline was very similar to the decline we saw with Tyrod.  Tyrod's team never fully bottomed out although had he started a full season for the Browns maybe they would have. But Tyrod also never saw the initial highs like Kaep did. 

Kaep belongs in the league but his days as an everyday starter are over unless he finds the right situation with the right pieces around him.

• Like (+1) 1

One of the solution I've been suggesting to people for a few years now is for the NFL/owners to fund a series of public service announcements that would be created by the players.  Each team would create two 60s commercials on this topic.  Its up the them what they want to say, who they want to feature, what examples they want to highlight and how they want present the story or remedies... no league guidelines or approval.  Then these commercials would run during games.  The home team's right after the anthem is played and the visiting team's just after the 2nd half kick-off.  

That's just a step among many that needs to be PART of a larger solution.  But it at least neutralizes the fake political arguments about kneeling during the anthem and allows the focus to be on the issue itself.  It also gets the NFL out of the way and just provides a platform for its players

Edited by cage

58 minutes ago, H2o said:

At this point I'm starting to care less and less about sports, it's "stars", and everything involved behind it in general. Don't get me wrong, I love football. I have since I was a little kid throwing the ball in the air, running it down, and making diving catches by myself while pretending to be different players. I love the Bills and have for over 30 years now.

You are correct, 100%, and it's hard not to see what you've said as anything but truthful if you see what's happening. I used to love sports so much more, but once it became a platform instead of what it is for most men, which is a place to relax and enjoy a game, then it losses its value.

It's what sports represents now, it's now a place to be angry instead of uplifting. Ironically pro sports is losing it's appeal after decades of growth. Ratings and attendance is going down so it's not you or me, it's a growing sentiment.

Shows I once liked do this too and they lose their flavor. It's like they know what we like (because of professional pollsters and focus groups) and once sucked in they turn it into a brainwashing cult of ideology.

I'm down to 2 sports I still watch, I might be down to 1 if this continues.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I think that’s the point of it though.  To use that particular type of platform as a way of putting issues in front of people who could otherwise ignore them.  The fact that it makes some of the people who typically live in relative comfort a little uncomfortable is intentional and designed to make those people stop and think.  All won’t, but some will. 

You missed my original point.  Most fans don't want to see social justice displayed in a pro sports setting, that is not why they come to games, follow sports, etc.  It is not the players' nor the job of the NFLPA/NFL to make spectators "uncomfortable" or think about societal issues; sporting events are not the time and place for it.   It is just the opposite; the job of the players and the league is to entertain people in exchange for people's money.  A few years ago when Kapernick started kneeling during the anthem, and others followed suit, there were attendance issues at stadiums across the country.  Why?  Because people don't want to see these types of displays.  It hurt the owner's bottom line and the kneeling was "encouraged" to stop.  

The players will kneel this season for the anthem; I saw an article just this morning where Adrian Peterson mentioned as much.  This shouldn't come as a surprise.  I think the NFL needs to not play the National Anthem at the beginning of games.  Most other team sports (hockey and baseball, for example) play the anthem, but I think the NFL should rethink playing it before games.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, westside2 said:

I wish this issue was based on facts, not emotions. It's pretty easy to Google the statistics on who is being killed by police. I don't condone police brutality, but I'm also not going to pile on the "F the police" crowd just because it's popular. 

Keep politics out of sports. Twitter all you want but just play the game!

So in other words, “shut up and dribble”

• Like (+1) 3

While I understand chat rooms like this emphasize extremes in viewpoints, the events of the past week or so emphasize the need to have dialog and really think about the other persons’ viewpoint.

The death of George Floyd causes me as a white man to really look at what it means to be black in America.  And it isn’t pretty.  And we all need to recognize that and do what we can do to change not only ourselves but others.  And we can do so by also recognizing the good work that the majority of good police men and women do, while insisting that the bad apples be gotten rid of or prosecuted when they break the law.  Just as we can recognize the rights of peaceful protesters while demanding justice when rioters and looters destroy businesses and neighborhoods, or when they kill police officers like the one in Las Vegas.  

The NFL finally got its wake up call and one can only hope they create a positive force for justice.  Football will be played, but it will be played as it always has by men of different colors and beliefs that are not just football players but individuals with different experiences to share.  Let’s hear them.  Let’s hear a Kaepernick who stands up for what he sees as wrongs committed against black men.  Let’s hear a Brees comment about his beliefs as to the meaning of the flag. I for one have no problem with kneeling, as kneeling in most circumstances is a sign of respect and a soldier recommended it as a respectful way to protest.  But let’s talk about it.  Or more importantly shut up and actually listen to the other guy.

Our society today sees things too much as black and white, where in reality issues are more grey.  And the very fact I use the phrase “black and white” to describe this pretty much says it all.  God help our country.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So in other words, “shut up and dribble”

Unless it's pro-military support the troops, at the beginning and throughout each game. 

Of course that's not politics. That's just patriotism. It's only "politics" if you don't like it!

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

While I understand chat rooms like this emphasize extremes in viewpoints, the events of the past week or so emphasize the need to have dialog and really think about the other persons’ viewpoint.

The death of George Floyd causes me as a white man to really look at what it means to be black in America.  And it isn’t pretty.  And we all need to recognize that and do what we can do to change not only ourselves but others.  And we can do so by also recognizing the good work that the majority of good police men and women do, while insisting that the bad apples be gotten rid of or prosecuted when they break the law.  Just as we can recognize the rights of peaceful protesters while demanding justice when rioters and looters destroy businesses and neighborhoods, or when they kill police officers like the one in Las Vegas.  

The NFL finally got its wake up call and one can only hope they create a positive force for justice.  Football will be played, but it will be played as it always has by men of different colors and beliefs that are not just football players but individuals with different experiences to share.  Let’s hear them.  Let’s hear a Kaepernick who stands up for what he sees as wrongs committed against black men.  Let’s hear a Brees comment about his beliefs as to the meaning of the flag. I for one have no problem with kneeling, as kneeling in most circumstances is a sign of respect and a soldier recommended it as a respectful way to protest.  But let’s talk about it.  Or more importantly shut up and actually listen to the other guy.

Our society today sees things too much as black and white, where in reality issues are more grey.  And the very fact I use the phrase “black and white” to describe this pretty much says it all.  God help our country.

Good on you. This is the work. This is what it looks like.

You say, this is messed up. This is not made up. This is real, and it's been there the whole time. 

It is even okay that you didn't know until now. Really! Because White people were not supposed to know about this. It was cleverly hidden away for many many decades; it was disguised in all sorts of ways. "Thugs, inner city crime." On and on, to make sure that you didn't think too much about it and just kept on with your business. It would never occur the ways in which white society can be complicit in this, even for people who are not outwardly racist or hateful; it is in the structures themselves... everything in our history. Only now with technology & social media is it possible for voices/images to be heard/seen that otherwise would not. 

But we didn't get to this point by accident. This is a long series of cause & effect.

And it's not White vs Black. It is Everybody vs Racism. It cannot be black people alone fighting for this. White people have privilege. Their voices matter. It matters when people like Drew Brees flip and start advocating for people to listen.

It's all small actions, individually. But they add up. 

So, again. Good for you on doing the work. For real.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I’m not sure about momentous.  The NFL is so far behind the NBA, this coming from someone who hasn’t watched a full NBA game in years and years, that it’s not even funny.

I’m all for improvements, don’t get me wrong. I’m just not sure that Goodell or owners should be getting getting credit for something they are doing so late.

Also, proof is in the puddin Roger. It’s your move.

The NBA admit Hong Kong exists yet or still banning people with Free Hong Kong posters from arenas?

• Like (+1) 1

Too little too late.  

And I will never forget the comments on here when the Kaep to Buffalo rumors started to swirl, how a lot of us said "hell no, he disrespected the flag and troops!"

There were a lot of other places he had better chances of landing but the hate on here was real.

It wasn't everybody on here but the hate was wrong then and wrong now.

Never ever forget that it was US who were wrong not to listen FIRST!

Edited by thunderingsquid
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Kneeling should still be frowned upon. I dont care what a player does. Donate to charity rebuilding communities, use your press conference and interviews to address your concerns, have specialty cleets that have symbols. Protest and share opinions if you want. But if you kneel during anthem then you are just dividing the country. You may be free to do protest that way but it doesnt make it right. And people still have right to critize for it. And when people criticize it just separates the country even more. This needs to be a time for unity... and like it or not many people will find kneeling disrespectful. Especially people who put their lives on the line everyday. That will just continue to divide our country and will be counter productive to what they want to accomplish.

Maybe you and people like you should just pass up  your opportunity to be offended...just once ...and say...."Hey these people have a point...how can we help"....Or if that's too much maybe you can help by simply not being offended ....not that hard bro

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
politicized language
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, thunderingsquid said:

Too little too late.  

And I will never forget the comments on here when the Kaep to Buffalo rumors started to swirl, how a lot of us said "hell no, he disrespected the flag and troops!"

There were a lot of other places he had better chances of landing but the hate on here was real.

It wasn't everybody on here but the hate was wrong then and wrong now.

Never ever forget that it was US who were wrong not to listen FIRST!

He was as wrong now as he was then.

If the argument is cops don't kill unarmed whites then look up some stats, they die at a higher rate. Some cops are just bullies and I've been shaken down once badly, and bullied many times for no reason.

We should never listen to the mob, they are always wrong.

Edited by BigBillsFan

1 minute ago, BigBillsFan said:

He was as wrong now as he was then.

If the argument is cops don't kill unarmed whites then look up some stats, they die at a higher rate. Some cops are just bullies and I've been shaken down once badly, and bullied many times for no reason.

We should never listen to the mob, they are always wrong.

Thoughts and prayers ????

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

If the argument is cops don't kill unarmed whites then look up some stats, they die at a higher rate

Oh really?

2 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

I've been shaken down once badly, and bullied many times for no reason

Why do I have a hard time believing that?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GregPersons said:

Unless it's pro-military support the troops, at the beginning and throughout each game. 

Of course that's not politics. That's just patriotism. It's only "politics" if you don't like it!

I have an idea, how about the military pull its funding for the NFL to play the NA at the beginning of the games?  If the NFL cancels "Salute to Service" and playing the NA, then so be it.  Also, politicians, including the President, should refrain from tweeting/making public comments on the NFL.  Get politics completely out of the games.  I've said before, and will say again, keep social justice issues and politics out of sports; they don't mix and most spectators don't want to see these displays.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1