Goodell Admits NFL Was Wrong Not to Listen

K-9

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I see that you're having difficulty putting this into perspective.  In your place of work, do you not stand up for what you believe in?  Do you not professionally challenge your superiors?  If not, that's an unhealthy work environment.  

I guess I'm lucky.  Where I work, if I disagree with something, I'm comfortable saying so.  Your definition of "acting professionally," appears to be silently taking orders, whether you agree with them or not.  To me, that's weak, I'm sorry.

Yes, you are lucky.  Some places are dictatorial and micromanaging, where bosses/management do not take well to criticism.  I've been in those places and they suck.  You have to know your environment, and leave if you don't like it.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Happy said:

Yes, you are lucky.  Some places are dictatorial and micromanaging, where bosses/management do not take well to criticism.  I've been in those places and they suck.  You have to know your environment, and leave if you don't like it.

Yes.  You leave it if you don't like it.  But not before trying to respectfully and professionally express your feelings.  That's what Kaep did and his career was ripped away from him.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Notice when they make the announcement ?  Friday Night.  The weekly dumping ground for when companies don’t think/want the majority of people are watching/hearing the news.

those folks in the New York offices are clever.

but at least it was finally said

I think it came today because yesterday a bunch of African American players put out a video about how the NFL needs to stands up, so the NFL couldn’t wait until Monday. They had to do it today. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

What a joke. The NFL more than anyone went out of their way to muddy this issue years ago when they could've simply just amplified Kaepernick at the time.

They could've cynically co-opted it and done Black Lives Matter month like they do with f0-0nig Breast Cancer. Instead they look like morons.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yes.  You leave it if you don't like it.  But not before trying to respectfully and professionally express your feelings.  That's what Kaep did and his career was ripped away from him.

His career was ripped away from him because he was a mediocre QB who hated authority... especially the police

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ColeB said:

When the kneeling started, after a period, the networks just stopped showing the national anthem.

the networks never broadcast the anthem before that either you revisionist. That was commercial time. Seriously gtfo if you’re going to try to bull your way into a “point.” In fact broadcasters started showing the anthem more AFTER the kaepernick protests took wind, since then it became another reason to keep eyeballs on screen. 

Edited by JoPoy88

29 minutes ago, Richard3113 said:

Wow. It was close! The same situation was with me yesterday. I forgot to write an essay and was close to the F point. But essay writing service uk save my soul, hehe. If they had not helped me to write an essay in 2 hours, it would be a great failure

can we get these trolls out of here please.

2 hours ago, HappyBillsFan said:

His career was ripped away from him because he was a mediocre QB who hated authority... especially the police

Happy, to add some color to you’re comment, here are comp % and QBR by year for Kaepernick.

Year            Comp%.            QBR

2011.           60%                   74.4

2012            62.4%                71.8

2013            58.4%.               65.7

2014            60.5%                60.9

2015            59.0%                43.4

2016            59.2%.               49.5

His last 2 years in 2015 and 1, his team’s record was 3-16.  I remember back in 2017 Ross Tucker on NFLR made the argument regardless of his political protest (which I disagree morally, but he has a legal right to do it), he was regressing as a QB.  He was fixated on his first read and opposing defenses knew how to play him.  There wasn’t collusion amongst 32 ownership groups, but simply teams saw his play tail off and he was a political football with his protests, so owners didn’t want the attention.  Again, although I don’t agree with kneeling, he and anyone else has a legal right to do it.  In some small way I detest seeing protesters burn the American flag, but the Supreme Court said they have a right to do it.  I am in no way saying Kaep would burn the flag, and lawful protests are protected in this country.  As so many have said, these social injustices are real and it is my sincere hope things change for the better especially for those in power.

I wouldn’t want Kaep in Buffalo, not because his social stance and in many ways applaud him for taking a stand, but he just isn’t that good.  I have nothing against the man, just want a back up that can win us at least 2-3 of 4 games if Allen was hurt.  I don’t know if he’s capable of pulling that off.  Now, what the players did the other night was great.  I hope they follow up with actual action in their respective communities to create real change.  Like it or not, people read and listen to what professional athletes do.  The more they can peacefully bring these issues to light and for example, the police receive additional training and monitoring of their behaviors, that’s a good first step.  Anyway, I hope Kaep does get a back up job so he can do what he loves, but just not on the Bills because of his descending skills as a player.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HappyBillsFan said:

It absolutely boggles my mind that there are people out there who believe this.  Bless your little heart.

• Sad 1

I want the NFL to be specific about what they were wrong about — specifically Kaepernick.  They should've just rallied around him instead of turning him into a figure of controversy and then a martyr. All of that was Goodell and the NFL's cowardice. The NFL could've been on the right side of this and came out looking pretty ***** smart and earned a lot of respect. Instead they look like cowards, racists, and morons who couldn't predict a rainstorm with a wet face.

Goodell should resign, put Kaep in as commish. ***** it. Abolish the owners, too, they can all go screw. Put the NFLPA in charge of the franchises. 

Eliminate the non-profit loophole. Pay the insane amount of city, state, and federal back-taxes dodged from that, plus interest. 

And while we're dreaming, cut instant replay. Get refs who can judge accurately and just keep the game moving. This game doesn't need to suck so much ass.

Edited by GregPersons
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

It absolutely boggles my mind that there are people out there who believe this.  Bless your little heart.

Its true. He was offered multiple deals but turned them down cause he thought he was a star and in actuality he was mediocre QB. And the last couple seasons he was horrendous. And yes he did hate police... the socks he wore showed he is full of hate and he is no better than bad cops. He is a hateful person who looks to divide the country by race and political affiliation.

• Like (+1) 5

Kneeling should still be frowned upon. I dont care what a player does. Donate to charity rebuilding communities, use your press conference and interviews to address your concerns, have specialty cleets that have symbols. Protest and share opinions if you want. But if you kneel during anthem then you are just dividing the country. You may be free to do protest that way but it doesnt make it right. And people still have right to critize for it. And when people criticize it just separates the country even more. This needs to be a time for unity... and like it or not many people will find kneeling disrespectful. Especially people who put their lives on the line everyday. That will just continue to divide our country and will be counter productive to what they want to accomplish.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Kneeling should still be frowned upon. I dont care what a player does. Donate to charity rebuilding communities, use your press conference and interviews to address your concerns, have specialty cleets that have symbols. Protest and share opinions if you want. But if you kneel during anthem then you are just dividing the country. You may be free to do protest that way but it doesnt make it right. And people still have right to critize for it. And when people criticize it just separates the country even more. This needs to be a time for unity... and like it or not many people will find kneeling disrespectful. Especially people who put their lives on the line everyday. That will just continue to divide our country and will be counter productive to what they want to accomplish.

You can have any opinion you want. But here's an opinion on why that opinion is no good. 

This is telling people the right and wrong way to protest. This is a method of control. You don't realize you're doing it, but this is the reality. This is part of the way White America looks to control Black America, by saying there is a right and wrong way to protest. It's nonsense. The right way to protest is what gets the job done, it is what makes the voices heard and the change possible.

It's a double standard, too, and it's never applied to White Americans -- when White America is rebellious, it's celebrated from the American Revolution to cowboys in the Wild West to modern gun nuts. We don't hear about how disrespectful it is to be wearing flag t-shirts and bandanas and whatever. It's always whatever Black people are doing, it's always the wrong way. MLK's methods (and only some of them) were only deemed "the right way" after his death. They weren't supported by White America at the time.

So I think... everybody needs to think about their preconceived notions and just question them. And this is definitely a popular one.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Happy said:

Are they going to allow and/or encourage more players to kneel during the Anthem?  If so, will the league (or NFLPA) mandate that Kapernick be brought back?  If my questions are affirmative, oil and water are being mixed by playing the Anthem; I would pull the plug on playing the NA at the beginning of the games if I were Goodell.  The owners have to also keep in mind that they have a going concern with the NFL, and while business is good at this point (revenue wise), it can go downhill.  A balance needs to be reached because nothing is too big to fail.  Social issues and pro sports are not a good combination; people watch and follow sports to get away from the rest of the world for a while.

I think that’s the point of it though.  To use that particular type of platform as a way of putting issues in front of people who could otherwise ignore them.  The fact that it makes some of the people who typically live in relative comfort a little uncomfortable is intentional and designed to make those people stop and think.  All won’t, but some will. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I wish this issue was based on facts, not emotions. It's pretty easy to Google the statistics on who is being killed by police. I don't condone police brutality, but I'm also not going to pile on the "F the police" crowd just because it's popular. 

Keep politics out of sports. Twitter all you want but just play the game!

• Like (+1) 1

At this point I'm starting to care less and less about sports, it's "stars", and everything involved behind it in general. Don't get me wrong, I love football. I have since I was a little kid throwing the ball in the air, running it down, and making diving catches by myself while pretending to be different players. I love the Bills and have for over 30 years now. I've loved this board for over 14 years now discussing the Bills and all things NFL, but I am growing disinterested in this place as well. The longer all of this drags out, the more disinterested I get. Kaep's protest was always his right. The thing about that is the first week he was just slumping on the bench because he was second fiddle to Gabbert. He, his gf, and his agent spun things as quickly as they possibly could then the story took off. Kudos to them for their genius move. In this time he has done many questionable things such as donating money to a fund started in the name of a cop killer, his choice of apparel, and a lot of the words he has spoken. It's felt more like a reality show than anything genuine. There are good and bad in anything in life. There are good cops and bad cops. There are good preachers and bad preachers. There are good people from all races and there are bad people from all races. There are good employers and there are bad employers. There are good lawyers and there are bad lawyers. The list could go on. The only thing truly within our control is ourselves, how we treat others, and the things we instill within our children. I, personally, owe no one anything. I have always treated everyone with the same decency, respect, and kindness regardless of any situation that has happened in life. Good run-ins or bad run-ins, I have never passed judgement on all because of the actions of some. I also don't apologize for things I have had no hand in. There are numerous things that can be pointed out on ALL sides of this situation that show the absolute hypocrisy behind it on many levels, but the truth, because it hurts, many times just breeds more contention. In these days and times the need to blame someone for anything or everything is the focus. The use of the singular word "you" in a place to label the plural of "all" is the cause used to justify the evil enacted behind it. This world in general is on a downward spiral and though it's not surprising, it's still sad to watch. It won't change me or the way I carry myself in life because I won't allow it to, but I am watching it change many people on here and in the immediate world around me as well, but not for the better. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, H2o said:

At this point I'm starting to care less and less about sports, it's "stars", and everything involved behind it in general. Don't get me wrong, I love football. I have since I was a little kid throwing the ball in the air, running it down, and making diving catches by myself while pretending to be different players. I love the Bills and have for over 30 years now. I've loved this board for over 14 years now discussing the Bills and all things NFL, but I am growing disinterested in this place as well. The longer all of this drags out, the more disinterested I get. Kaep's protest was always his right. The thing about that is the first week he was just slumping on the bench because he was second fiddle to Gabbert. He, his gf, and his agent spun things as quickly as they possibly could then the story took off. Kudos to them for their genius move. In this time he has done many questionable things such as donating money to a fund started in the name of a cop killer, his choice of apparel, and a lot of the words he has spoken. It's felt more like a reality show than anything genuine. There are good and bad in anything in life. There are good cops and bad cops. There are good preachers and bad preachers. There are good people from all races and there are bad people from all races. There are good employers and there are bad employers. There are good lawyers and there are bad lawyers. The list could go on. The only thing truly within our control is ourselves, how we treat others, and the things we instill within our children. I, personally, owe no one anything. I have always treated everyone with the same decency, respect, and kindness regardless of any situation that has happened in life. Good run-ins or bad run-ins, I have never passed judgement on all because of the actions of some. I also don't apologize for things I have had no hand in. There are numerous things that can be pointed out on ALL sides of this situation that show the absolute hypocrisy behind it on many levels, but the truth, because it hurts, many times just breeds more contention. In these days and times the need to blame someone for anything or everything is the focus. The use of the singular word "you" in a place to label the plural of "all" is the cause used to justify the evil enacted behind it. This world in general is on a downward spiral and though it's not surprising, it's still sad to watch. It won't change me or the way I carry myself in life because I won't allow it to, but I am watching it change many people on here and in the immediate world around me as well, but not for the better. 

There is also good and bad within each one of us - don’t make it objective (“good people” and “bad people”).  The struggle exists within us all. 

• Like (+1) 2