Goodell Admits NFL Was Wrong Not to Listen

K-9

1 minute ago, LB3 said:

Try your silent, legal protest at work on the company dime when it matters. See how protected you are. Your overall point is nonsense.

If my employees wanted to kneel quietly for about 45 seconds before they started work, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. Better than out getting a smoke.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

What big changes are we going to get? Players are allowed to kneel? Lol. Nothing to see here. 

Are you in acoma? Its a new day. Black college players are telling college coaches to shut and listen and giving them a list of demands which are being met. You might wanna google Marvin Wilson .They now have HUGE leverage. 5 star athletes can eschew old boy networks and threaten to go HBCUs. A group of emerging young franchise black players made a video demanding an apology and admission and got one tonight. I guarantee that players will kneel next season. If they BIlls had a conscience they would cut that piece of ***** Fromm. His comments were worse than Drew Brees. I's a slap in the face to players like Tre & Dion who are up for extensions and will be watching this closely. Tre seems pissed.

1 minute ago, Happy said:

I think UK has more of a religious problem, i.e. muslims integrating into English society.  A lot of Europe has this problem, not just Great Britain.

Agreed, although it's probably a 2 way street, integrating into society and being accepted into society.

Edited by klos63
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s not though. That video featured stars in the league. Jamal Adams is a 1st team all-pro and the best safety in football. Do you know what he looks like? I don’t. The same with Marlon Humphrey, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Aaron Donald, Julio Jones, etc... I would recognize Patty Mills though. That’s kind of the point. There’s nothing that can be done but it is absolutely a part of it. NFL players are anonymous (the same for hockey players and to a lesser extent baseball players). 

There are certainly other parts. NBA ownership is infinitely more progressive than NFL ownership. The player leadership and league leadership are in lockstep. There’s trust.

Absolutely agree with the latter but it’s a little more grey to me for the others. 

As I’ve said prior, I absolutely respect your thoughts...just trying to understand it all. Most local communities know their teams players (NFL) so I struggle with the former. 

1 minute ago, Jaraxxus said:

Football is a game, is it not?

Sorry, I'm not going to protest on the job, even for a cause I DO believe in. I have people relying on my income. 

If that makes me weak, so be it. I call it being smart.

Chances are you don't have a viewing audience in the millions to get your protest noticed, as NFL players do. It's a big difference than you protesting at the office.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

If my employees wanted to kneel quietly for about 45 seconds before they started work, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. Better than out getting a smoke.

As an employer, that is your right and good for you for enabling that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LB3 said:

As an employer, that is your right and good for you for enabling that.

and honestly, it would only be a big deal if I made it one. But my employees probably didn't feel strongly enough about anything to bother with a protest.

1 minute ago, Jaraxxus said:

No kidding. Which is why I found being called "weak" for acting professionally on the job a bit odd.

What on earth would I have to gain by it? A smug sense of self gratification? That won't pay my hefty Verizon bill.

Back in the day, employees unionized to improve their workplace. Different type of protests.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

I’m not sure about momentous.  The NFL is so far behind the NBA, this coming from someone who hasn’t watched a full NBA game in years and years, that it’s not even funny.

I’m all for improvements, don’t get me wrong. I’m just not sure that Goodell or owners should be getting getting credit for something they are doing so late.

Also, proof is in the puddin Roger. It’s your move.

what was the nbas response to China? 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, LB3 said:

Do you think that the ultimate melting pot of different peoples and cultures doesn't contribute to this?  Difference has always meant conflict.

Bull. Inability to respect differences has always meant conflict. 

7 minutes ago, LB3 said:

I don't disagree. Where else is even close to this melting pot?

Nowhere. Which makes respect for our diversity more paramount to the unique American ideal. 

17 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Lol are your employers entertainers? Do you make money by putting them in front of millions of people looking to enjoy an entertainment product?

I'm not going to get into where or not players should be allowed to kneel. But the NFL is a business, and Kaepernick was very bad for business. Maybe times have changed now, but it is, at a minimum, understandable why the NFL didnt want that going on before games at the time . 

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Nowhere. Which makes respect for our diversity more paramount to the unique American ideal. 

I don't disagree. Which is why I made the point that comparing other (many homogeneous) countries to ours isn't fair.

Edited by LB3
parens placement

Just now, Process said:

Lol are your employers entertainers? Do you make money by putting them in front of millions of people looking to enjoy an entertainment product?

I'm not going to get into where or not players should be allowed to kneel. But the NFL is a business, and Kaepernick was very bad for business. Maybe times have changed now, but it is, at a minimum, understandable why the NFL didnt want that going on before games at the time . 

what's actually bad for business is unhappy employees

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Seems like only a matter of time until Goodell is publicly apologizing to Kaepernick.

And Kaepernick being named the NFL’s Chief Community Liaison. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Absolutely agree with the latter but it’s a little more grey to me for the others. 

As I’ve said prior, I absolutely respect your thoughts...just trying to understand it all. Most local communities know their teams players (NFL) so I struggle with the former. 

I think that’s definitely true. That’s why I intentionally left off Bills players. We would recognize a lot of them. That message would be very strong on a local level. If Tre White spoke out in Buffalo we’d know EXACTLY who that is. The difference is that someone in Kansas City would be like “who is that guy?” They don’t have the same reach for that reason. QBs are the only recognizable people across the country.

I purposely used NFL stars compared to NBA role players to enhance the point. Aaron Donald is less recognizable than Steph Curry. James Harden is more recognizable than Bobby Wagner. It isn’t just “the game being global” either. It’s that we see their faces. It’s the same reason that we can recognize Serena or Nadal. We can spot Tiger 5 miles away. We wouldn’t know John Carlson if he was sitting at our dinner table. Just my 2 cents but I strongly believe that is a big reason that NBA players are so vocal. We “know” them. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

what's actually bad for business is unhappy employees

Right. Because players have a ton of comparable alternatives for employment to turn to if they are unhappy with the NFL. 

Edited by Process