Goodell Admits NFL Was Wrong Not to Listen

K-9

I’m not sure about momentous.  The NFL is so far behind the NBA, this coming from someone who hasn’t watched a full NBA game in years and years, that it’s not even funny.

I’m all for improvements, don’t get me wrong. I’m just not sure that Goodell or owners should be getting getting credit for something they are doing so late.

Also, proof is in the puddin Roger. It’s your move.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Notice when they make the announcement ?  Friday Night.  The weekly dumping ground for when companies don’t think/want the majority of people are watching/hearing the news.

those folks in the New York offices are clever.

but at least it was finally said

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Sad 1

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

I’m not sure about momentous.  The NFL is so far behind the NBA, this coming from someone who hasn’t watched a full NBA game in years and years, that it’s not even funny.

I’m all for improvements, don’t get me wrong. I’m just not sure that Goodell or owners should be getting getting credit for something they are doing so late.

Considering where the NFL was during the Colin Kaepernick protests, momentous is the only word I can think of. But your larger point is well taken. The nfl has been tone deaf for a long time. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Happy said:

What will the NFL do differently?  It's all really vague from what I can see.

This is the million dollar question. Me, I’m skeptical because Goodell only serves at the behest of the ownership that couldn’t be more regressive in their views on the matter. If the NFL had more owners like Mark Cuban, for example, I could see a more receptive collective, but the NFL isn’t a bastion of forward thinking when it comes to societal issues. Then again, sometimes Goodell’s job is to save the owners from themselves, so maybe there’s a glimmer of hope.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

This is the million dollar question. Me, I’m skeptical because Goodell only serves at the behest of the ownership that couldn’t be more regressive in their views on the matter. If the NFL had more owners like Mark Cuban, for example, I could see a more receptive collective, but the NFL isn’t a bastion of forward thinking when it comes to societal issues. Then again, sometimes Goodell’s job is to save the owners from themselves, so maybe there’s a glimmer of hope.

Cynical response would be, ‘Players are allowed to kneel during anthem’, but with no fans in stadium who will see it?

thats when it will fall on NBC, CBS, FOX and ESPN to show the players kneeling.  EVERY WEEK.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Are they going to allow and/or encourage more players to kneel during the Anthem?  If so, will the league (or NFLPA) mandate that Kapernick be brought back?  If my questions are affirmative, oil and water are being mixed by playing the Anthem; I would pull the plug on playing the NA at the beginning of the games if I were Goodell.  The owners have to also keep in mind that they have a going concern with the NFL, and while business is good at this point (revenue wise), it can go downhill.  A balance needs to be reached because nothing is too big to fail.  Social issues and pro sports are not a good combination; people watch and follow sports to get away from the rest of the world for a while.

• Like (+1) 3

It’s about time.  The statement he released previously was beyond weak and totally hypocritical.  Let’s see if the NFL actually holds firm when it becomes an issue this Fall.  I have made doubts.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

you’re both right. League is woefully miles and miles behind the NBA. But considering how insular, how slow-moving these owners are in the NFL, I think it can be characterized as momentous.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Cynical response would be, ‘Players are allowed to kneel during anthem’, but with no fans in stadium who will see it?

thats when it will fall on NBC, CBS, FOX and ESPN to show the players kneeling.  EVERY WEEK.

The NFL probably doesnt care about kneeling, they care about $$$$. Let them kneel again, and people will be turned off and tune out. Lose lose situation here.

47 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Just a year or two from saying players can sit out/kneel for the anthem in the locker rooms but if they did it on the field they'd get fined. Such a beacon of progress.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Players were smart to include Mahomes in their video. If he continues to speak out players are going to get the green light to do whatever the heck they want.

NFL could care less about guys like Kap, Stills and the Bennett brothers.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Happy said:

Are they going to allow and/or encourage more players to kneel during the Anthem?  If so, will the league (or NFLPA) mandate that Kapernick be brought back?  If my questions are affirmative, oil and water are being mixed by playing the Anthem; I would pull the plug on playing the NA at the beginning of the games if I were Goodell.  The owners have to also keep in mind that they have a going concern with the NFL, and while business is good at this point (revenue wise), it can go downhill.  A balance needs to be reached because nothing is too big to fail.  Social issues and pro sports are not a good combination; people watch and follow sports to get away from the rest of the world for a while.

Fair points, all. And well stated. 

I wonder if Goodell senses a shift in the sensibilities of America given the last 10 days. I wonder if the networks do as well even if the current broadcast deal still has a few seasons to run. 

I agree with the idea of pulling the plug in the NA at the beginning of games. It’s been a farce for a long time given the amount of disrespect I’ve witnessed long before Colin Kaepernick as well as since. 

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Just a year or two from saying players can sit out/kneel for the anthem in the locker rooms but if they did it on the field they'd get fined. Such a beacon of progress.

Fair point.

9 minutes ago, Happy said:

Reasonable people can disagree on this statement.  i.e. Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier in MLB.  Made baseball much better to watch in the long run.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

The NFL probably doesnt care about kneeling, they care about $$$$. Let them kneel again, and people will be turned off and tune out. Lose lose situation here.

but think of how many viewers they’ll GAIN by encouraging the players to kneel!!!

: guy nodding and pointing to his head GIF :

9 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

You may be right about the NFL's motivation here, but it is possible that they've watched the events of the last week in horror like many of us did and realized they might be able to be a positive influence on a change in society. We can hope.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

there are some interesting articles out there re why the NFL and NBA have been so different on social justice. While I think Silver has been a more outspoken advocate of social justice issues than Goodell, one of the key differences that people point to is the leadership of the players. The superstars in the NBA all hold high-level positions in the union executive power structure. In the NFL, the back-up scrub olinemen seem to hold those positions.  

• Like (+1) 2