Defund the Police?

On 7/26/2020 at 4:58 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

These people need to be stopped. BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY.

No, we simply need to purge Washington, Oregon, and California.

(Break up the country in its entirety, IMHO)

Let the states figure things out for themselves, as independent nations, with no help from the Federal government.  If they make war, slaughter them.

35 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Portland police record highest number of death investigations in single month in more than three decades
https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2020/07/portland-police-record-highest-number-of-death-investigations-in-single-month-in-more-than-three-decades.html

Eh, I'm sure it's not because of the 'block parties' going on.

• Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, westside2 said:

Lol, I was just quoting the mayor of Seattle. Definitely not the summer of love. More like the summer of hate.☹

That BOC song was my initial response to the Seattle mayor's comment and CHAZ.
The song remains the same ?

• Like (+1) 1

Remember when the left tried to explain how 'defund the police' didn't really mean getting rid of police?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Seattle City Council Moves to Eliminate Entire Police Department, Replace it with Civilian-Led Department of Community Safety and Violence Prevention.

The council endorses the “Decriminalize Seattle” agenda that would replace the police force with:
–”Culturally-relevant expertise rooted in community connections” –”Housing, food security, and other basic needs”
–”Trauma-informed, gender-affirming, anti-racist praxis”

And finally, the plan demands that the City conduct an “immediate transfer of underutilized public land for BIPOC community ownership”

Nice know you, Seattle.

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Remember when the left tried to explain how 'defund the police' didn't really mean getting rid of police?

Seattle City Council Moves to Eliminate Entire Police Department, Replace it with Civilian-Led Department of Community Safety and Violence Prevention.

Nice know you, Seattle.

That's an Interesting strategy Cotton. Let's see how it plays out?

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Nice know you, Seattle.

What is it about the entire left can coast of this country? Maybe something in the Pacific that's making them all crazy. If they do it there, it'll happen in other cities too. What a scary thought! Come on PPP liberals, tell me this is a really bad idea.

I neglected to join this conversation previously.

I lived in Philadelphia about 10 years ago. I was there for about 10 years. Camden, NJ is right across the Delaware River from Philadelphia. It's a big river, think Saint Lawrence, or Niagara, or Chesapeake. If you lived in Philly you paid attention to crime spikes in Camden (a horrible crime ridden small city on par with East Saint Louis or Compton) because it meant a crime spike in Philly a month or two later. Apparently it was easier to smuggle drugs into Camden than Philly. Usually this was correlated with violence in the open drug market that is Kensington, Philadelphia.

So, Camden was flat broke @ 2010, and in they decided to defund the City Police Department (CPD). The cost of the police was passed onto Camden County. Tricky that the city and the county shared the name. About 70% of Camden City cops were hired on as Camden County Sheriffs. This did get rid of some bad cops, and was done of course at tax payer expense in the rest of the county. (Democrat city is a mess, pass it on to Republican suburbs)

Camden CPD used to 'actively patrol' the city. Very dangerous work, relationship building, paying snitches, knowing hookers, getting leads, real police drama stuff. After NJ police departments were accused of racial profiling, and Camden almost went bankrupt, the Camden County Sheriffs stopped actively policing Camden City, and started passive policing. Passive policing is responding to 911 calls, traffic stops, parking tickets. No longer engaging in active preventative policing. As a result, the Kengsington drug market has exploded. The area around this area is gentrifying, but Kensington has become a worse drug nightmare. This was always bad, but see 2019-2020 footage below:

Baltimore PD got whacked after Freddy Gray. The BPD has taken funding hits and accusations of racism to heart. They now patrol by 'passive policing'. They will respond to 911 calls, parking tickets and the like, but no longer are active in preventing crime.

So while overall crime is down due to 'no active policing' murders have surged. It is from 2018, but describes the national call to defund very well. Read Below:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/07/12/baltimore-police-not-noticing-crime-after-freddie-gray-wave-killings-followed/744741002/

Are we in WNY ok with going to passive policing? What if BPD or RPD were consolidated with the Sheriffs office for the county? 2/3 of the people in Erie and Monroe counties do not live in the cities of Buffalo or Rochester. Does that help or hurt the people in Buffalo and Rochester? Does passive policing in less patrolled areas of cities with small populations help or hurt the citizens of the city? Just asking.

Defunding Police means the loss of community preventative policing. I live in the burbs. We have our own police, and the Sheriffs. I feel aok. Do the people in East Buffalo, or Rochester's 14621 feel the same way? I think not.

The police are not the issue. Let's dig deeper.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

I neglected to join this conversation previously.

I lived in Philadelphia about 10 years ago. I was there for about 10 years. Camden, NJ is right across the Delaware River from Philadelphia. It's a big river, think Saint Lawrence, or Niagara, or Chesapeake. If you lived in Philly you paid attention to crime spikes in Camden (a horrible crime ridden small city on par with East Saint Louis or Compton) because it meant a crime spike in Philly a month or two later. Apparently it was easier to smuggle drugs into Camden than Philly. Usually this was correlated with violence in the open drug market that is Kensington, Philadelphia.

So, Camden was flat broke @ 2010, and in they decided to defund the City Police Department (CPD). The cost of the police was passed onto Camden County. Tricky that the city and the county shared the name. About 70% of Camden City cops were hired on as Camden County Sheriffs. This did get rid of some bad cops, and was done of course at tax payer expense in the rest of the county. (Democrat city is a mess, pass it on to Republican suburbs)

Camden CPD used to 'actively patrol' the city. Very dangerous work, relationship building, paying snitches, knowing hookers, getting leads, real police drama stuff. After NJ police departments were accused of racial profiling, and Camden almost went bankrupt, the Camden County Sheriffs stopped actively policing Camden City, and started passive policing. Passive policing is responding to 911 calls, traffic stops, parking tickets. No longer engaging in active preventative policing. As a result, the Kengsington drug market has exploded. The area around this area is gentrifying, but Kensington has become a worse drug nightmare. This was always bad, but see 2019-2020 footage below:

Baltimore PD got whacked after Freddy Gray. The BPD has taken funding hits and accusations of racism to heart. They now patrol by 'passive policing'. They will respond to 911 calls, parking tickets and the like, but no longer are active in preventing crime.

So while overall crime is down due to 'no active policing' murders have surged. It is from 2018, but describes the national call to defund very well. Read Below:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/07/12/baltimore-police-not-noticing-crime-after-freddie-gray-wave-killings-followed/744741002/

Are we in WNY ok with going to passive policing? What if BPD or RPD were consolidated with the Sheriffs office for the county? 2/3 of the people in Erie and Monroe counties do not live in the cities of Buffalo or Rochester. Does that help or hurt the people in Buffalo and Rochester? Does passive policing in less patrolled areas of cities with small populations help or hurt the citizens of the city? Just asking.

Defunding Police means the loss of community preventative policing. I live in the burbs. We have our own police, and the Sheriffs. I feel aok. Do the people in East Buffalo, or Rochester's 14621 feel the same way? I think not.

The police are not the issue. Let's dig deeper.

Any of us non-whites (I'm 1st generation Indian American, BTW) can give you what we think are the issues.  I for one would like to hear what you believe are the issues.

On 7/31/2020 at 10:21 PM, Doc said:

Any of us non-whites (I'm 1st generation Indian American, BTW) can give you what we think are the issues.  I for one would like to hear what you believe are the issues.

Brother from another tribal mother! Dad is black and Cheyenne. What tribe are you? Should we invite Lizzy Warren to a pow-wow?

Great question Doc. This is going to get me banned. This will rub some people the wrong way. But buckle up and read below:

It's poverty. Has been, always will be IMO. Poverty exacerbates all other issues. Being broke and seeing no way out leads to a whole host of bad decision making by otherwise bright folks, regardless of color.

I think for most of the past 200 yrs the left and the right have agreed that the USA offers great opportunity to 'climb the ladder'. That is why the Irish came here, later Eastern Europeans came here, then Asians escaping war torn areas in the 50's to 80's. Today it is Mexicans, central Americans and Puerto Ricans. The difference is in how people and political perspectives want to address poverty. In some ways it still is, but the left thinks the whole system is broken. If this country was so fundamentally flawed, as many on the current left argue, then why do people still flock to the USA? I'm sure our lefty posters will be quiet on this front.

Let's also acknowledge slavery era black America is 6 generations past slavery.

The left now wants to make everything based on race. It is the result, IMO, of identity politics, and the fact that they have a racist past. Identity politics took root with 'political correctness' then became mainstream during Obama's second term. The Democrats/left still can''t get past race, or other identity buckets. The right and conservatives see people as individuals. This is the age old debate about individual responsibility vs collective action. See above by a great post.

What seems to be discounted and never addressed by the left is the multitudes of broke @ss white folks around the country as a counter point. Go to WV or the Ozarks. What has 'white privilege' done for these people? The last stats I researched showed 2x as many whites below the poverty line as blacks. And quite frankly the count is too high overall. Poverty is not a racial issue. The media and 'educated' say well 50% of the 13% of black folks are poor versus 30% of the 67% of white folks, so racism. Certainly some black families are behind the 8 ball because of slavery and racially terrible laws. But who passed those laws, who enforced those laws? Mostly Democrats. It's no wonder they want to erase their history.

Generational poverty (being poor for multiple generations) is now framed as a black problem by professors and the media because of 'institutional racism.' That is nonsense. Generational poverty affects all races. Why?

Those pasty white folks in WV/PA coal country/Ozarks were broke before coming to the USA, were broke when mining coal in the USA and are still broke now. Generations of bad decisions. But we can say that about white folks. In the 1850' to 1860's you could settle land and make a living. But at some point didn't Jeb or Cletus hear of the big city and want to move for a better opportunity? It didn't have to be NYC or LA. Wouldn't Louisville or Nashville offer some opportunities? Sure they may take it on the chin but their kids will have a better education and opportunities. Ties to 'kinfolk' and 'the family' are strong. There is a lot of pressure to stay and 'know your place' in those communities. If it is a white person we call it bad decisions.

So let me ask how is that different from the hood or ghetto today? Let's say a black family of former slaves heads North in the first great migration in the 1860's to 1870's. Was a slave, yes. Free now, yes. They struggle to find work. Maybe they get a factory job, or work as a servant. There is no government handout. Over a few generations middle class black neighborhoods spring up in Detroit and Harlem, just like Little Italy springs up in NY. After WWII, racial riots sweep many cities. White flight to the suburbs. Civil Rights legislation passes in the 1960's. Instead of a hand up it gives a hand out and it replaces the black man with the Federal Govt.

Don't believe me? When the Great Migration happened 70%+ of black families were married. Now less than 35% are. Broken families are not a result of slavery or early freedom. It is a result of Federal Handouts that replaced the black man as head of household. Early on black families could cheat the system, and get govt money plus dad's income by 'not being married'. I'm guessing this rational behavior is not taught now. There were also folks claiming, 'We were due, give us the money.' Reparations have been happening for a long time. Over time the black man was simply replaced by the government, and unmarried families became the norm. Eventually men left the unit.

Feminism also took root, as did pro choice abortion. All of sudden Federally sponsored 'Planned Parenthoods' sprung up in black communities. Some black families stayed together, most didn't. The thought soon arised that the black male head of household wasn't needed. Now generations of black and brown kids have no dad, and are taught to rely on the government. The majority now feel the government is their friend providing them what they need. They are owed. Cletus was owed nothing. But the government is not their friend.

Black America was doing well on its own, overcoming obstacles before the Civil Rights act issued hand outs, when the black man was still important in his family. If nothing else the black family had the church and the family unit and survived and thrived.

Dependence on the government is a second wave of slavery to the government, and is why I am unashamed to call modern ghettos and hoods 'plantations'. Read 'The Road to Serfdom'. Occasionally a brown or black person decides they have had enough of the hood and a life of serfdom. They aspire for better for themselves and their kids. They study hard, and excel. When they go to college away or move out of the hood they get called all sorts of names. 'Uncle Tom', Coconut (my favorite), Oreo etc. "Why do you think you are better than us?" "Why are you a sellout?"

Sell out to what? A lifetime of government handouts to scrape by and hope Juwann makes enough selling drugs on the side to buy us the 'nicer things?' Ties to 'kinfolk' and 'the family' are strong. There is a lot of pressure to stay and 'know your place' in these communities too, just like the white folks in the Ozarks. But the difference is we can't call out the black family for generations of poor decisions. That would be racist.

What is worse is that generations long ruled Democrat cities and school districts continue to prop up this line of thinking. They not only accept it but it becomes dogma. AKA Group Think. Black and brown kids are taught that they are victims in 2020 (and up to 10-20 yrs before), and that they can not succeed because of 'systemic racism'. It is a systemic level of propaganda imposed on children not seen since the Hitler Youth.

How is a little black girl supposed to walk to school everyday passing a crack house, a burned out shell, a drug dealer and pimp or two, pass a Planned Parenthood where 'inconvenient black babies are removed from society', walk into a class room, get told she is a victim of systemic racism, read 'White Hate' as a classroom book, and not be taught math, science and English to a proficient level; but is supposed to succeed?

That is the very root of generational poverty.

Who is doing it?

Then despite all of that, she finishes high school, does well and gets accepted to a state college she can afford through loans. After 4 years of radical leftist professors, she finishes with a degree to become a social worker. After 4-5 yrs of 40k a year jobs she has enough to buy her own place in the suburbs. On moving out of the hood she is called an Oreo, a sell out, an Uncle Tom by her neighborhood and lifetime friends.

Where is the 'systemic racism' coming from?

Maybe, just maybe, it is in the Democrat run schools and colleges that want her to be a victim and teach her to live a victims life? Why leave the comfy plantation life? If you have a black or brown person in your suburban neighborhood reach out to them. Over time they will have stories that will make your toes curl. You will then realize what a great neighbor you have. Some of the staunchest conservatives are black folks. We had to fight for it, just like generations of Americans before us of all colors and backgrounds.

This is a strong statement. It may get me banned. But at some point the truth needs to be said. If you are generationally broke, rely on the government for housing and basic necessities, and live in the hood, THEN YOU ARE A MODERN SLAVE LIVING ON A PLANTATION. Instead of picking cotton, you just have to pick Democrat, they made it easy. And the worst part is the little kids, who survived abortion, in these neighborhoods are also being set up for a lifetime of slavery and failure.

By who?

I do know BLM preaches the end of the nuclear family. We have seen this happen in the black community, and it has been a total disaster. Is this something to advocate to help raise all people out of poverty? I think not.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 8/6/2020 at 10:05 PM, RocCityRoller said:

Brother from another tribal mother! Dad is black and Cheyenne. What tribe are you? Should we invite Lizzy Warren to a pow-wow?

Great question Doc. This is going to get me banned. This will rub some people the wrong way. But buckle up and read below:

It's poverty. Has been, always will be IMO. Poverty exacerbates all other issues. Being broke and seeing no way out leads to a whole host of bad decision making by otherwise bright folks, regardless of color.

I think for most of the past 200 yrs the left and the right have agreed that the USA offers great opportunity to 'climb the ladder'. That is why the Irish came here, later Eastern Europeans came here, then Asians escaping war torn areas in the 50's to 80's. Today it is Mexicans, central Americans and Puerto Ricans. The difference is in how people and political perspectives want to address poverty. In some ways it still is, but the left thinks the whole system is broken. If this country was so fundamentally flawed, as many on the current left argue, then why do people still flock to the USA? I'm sure our lefty posters will be quiet on this front.

Let's also acknowledge slavery era black America is 6 generations past slavery.

The left now wants to make everything based on race. It is the result, IMO, of identity politics, and the fact that they have a racist past. Identity politics took root with 'political correctness' then became mainstream during Obama's second term. The Democrats/left still can''t get past race, or other identity buckets. The right and conservatives see people as individuals. This is the age old debate about individual responsibility vs collective action. See above by a great post.

What seems to be discounted and never addressed by the left is the multitudes of broke @ss white folks around the country as a counter point. Go to WV or the Ozarks. What has 'white privilege' done for these people? The last stats I researched showed 2x as many whites below the poverty line as blacks. And quite frankly the count is too high overall. Poverty is not a racial issue. The media and 'educated' say well 50% of the 13% of black folks are poor versus 30% of the 67% of white folks, so racism. Certainly some black families are behind the 8 ball because of slavery and racially terrible laws. But who passed those laws, who enforced those laws? Mostly Democrats. It's no wonder they want to erase their history.

Generational poverty (being poor for multiple generations) is now framed as a black problem by professors and the media because of 'institutional racism.' That is nonsense. Generational poverty affects all races. Why?

Those pasty white folks in WV/PA coal country/Ozarks were broke before coming to the USA, were broke when mining coal in the USA and are still broke now. Generations of bad decisions. But we can say that about white folks. In the 1850' to 1860's you could settle land and make a living. But at some point didn't Jeb or Cletus hear of the big city and want to move for a better opportunity? It didn't have to be NYC or LA. Wouldn't Louisville or Nashville offer some opportunities? Sure they may take it on the chin but their kids will have a better education and opportunities. Ties to 'kinfolk' and 'the family' are strong. There is a lot of pressure to stay and 'know your place' in those communities. If it is a white person we call it bad decisions.

So let me ask how is that different from the hood or ghetto today? Let's say a black family of former slaves heads North in the first great migration in the 1860's to 1870's. Was a slave, yes. Free now, yes. They struggle to find work. Maybe they get a factory job, or work as a servant. There is no government handout. Over a few generations middle class black neighborhoods spring up in Detroit and Harlem, just like Little Italy springs up in NY. After WWII, racial riots sweep many cities. White flight to the suburbs. Civil Rights legislation passes in the 1960's. Instead of a hand up it gives a hand out and it replaces the black man with the Federal Govt.

Don't believe me? When the Great Migration happened 70%+ of black families were married. Now less than 35% are. Broken families are not a result of slavery or early freedom. It is a result of Federal Handouts that replaced the black man as head of household. Early on black families could cheat the system, and get govt money plus dad's income by 'not being married'. I'm guessing this rational behavior is not taught now. There were also folks claiming, 'We were due, give us the money.' Reparations have been happening for a long time. Over time the black man was simply replaced by the government, and unmarried families became the norm. Eventually men left the unit.

Feminism also took root, as did pro choice abortion. All of sudden Federally sponsored 'Planned Parenthoods' sprung up in black communities. Some black families stayed together, most didn't. The thought soon arised that the black male head of household wasn't needed. Now generations of black and brown kids have no dad, and are taught to rely on the government. The majority now feel the government is their friend providing them what they need. They are owed. Cletus was owed nothing. But the government is not their friend.

Black America was doing well on its own, overcoming obstacles before the Civil Rights act issued hand outs, when the black man was still important in his family. If nothing else the black family had the church and the family unit and survived and thrived.

Dependence on the government is a second wave of slavery to the government, and is why I am unashamed to call modern ghettos and hoods 'plantations'. Read 'The Road to Serfdom'. Occasionally a brown or black person decides they have had enough of the hood and a life of serfdom. They aspire for better for themselves and their kids. They study hard, and excel. When they go to college away or move out of the hood they get called all sorts of names. 'Uncle Tom', Coconut (my favorite), Oreo etc. "Why do you think you are better than us?" "Why are you a sellout?"

Sell out to what? A lifetime of government handouts to scrape by and hope Juwann makes enough selling drugs on the side to buy us the 'nicer things?' Ties to 'kinfolk' and 'the family' are strong. There is a lot of pressure to stay and 'know your place' in these communities too, just like the white folks in the Ozarks. But the difference is we can't call out the black family for generations of poor decisions. That would be racist.

What is worse is that generations long ruled Democrat cities and school districts continue to prop up this line of thinking. They not only accept it but it becomes dogma. AKA Group Think. Black and brown kids are taught that they are victims in 2020 (and up to 10-20 yrs before), and that they can not succeed because of 'systemic racism'. It is a systemic level of propaganda imposed on children not seen since the Hitler Youth.

How is a little black girl supposed to walk to school everyday passing a crack house, a burned out shell, a drug dealer and pimp or two, pass a Planned Parenthood where 'inconvenient black babies are removed from society', walk into a class room, get told she is a victim of systemic racism, read 'White Hate' as a classroom book, and not be taught math, science and English to a proficient level; but is supposed to succeed?

That is the very root of generational poverty.

Who is doing it?

Then despite all of that, she finishes high school, does well and gets accepted to a state college she can afford through loans. After 4 years of radical leftist professors, she finishes with a degree to become a social worker. After 4-5 yrs of 40k a year jobs she has enough to buy her own place in the suburbs. On moving out of the hood she is called an Oreo, a sell out, an Uncle Tom by her neighborhood and lifetime friends.

Where is the 'systemic racism' coming from?

Maybe, just maybe, it is in the Democrat run schools and colleges that want her to be a victim and teach her to live a victims life? Why leave the comfy plantation life? If you have a black or brown person in your suburban neighborhood reach out to them. Over time they will have stories that will make your toes curl. You will then realize what a great neighbor you have. Some of the staunchest conservatives are black folks. We had to fight for it, just like generations of Americans before us of all colors and backgrounds.

This is a strong statement. It may get me banned. But at some point the truth needs to be said. If you are generationally broke, rely on the government for housing and basic necessities, and live in the hood, THEN YOU ARE A MODERN SLAVE LIVING ON A PLANTATION. Instead of picking cotton, you just have to pick Democrat, they made it easy. And the worst part is the little kids, who survived abortion, in these neighborhoods are also being set up for a lifetime of slavery and failure.

By who?

I do know BLM preaches the end of the nuclear family. We have seen this happen in the black community, and it has been a total disaster. Is this something to advocate to help raise all people out of poverty? I think not.

Great post RCR.  I was hoping I didn't offend you when I didn't see a response after 4-5 days.  I lost power last Tuesday from Isaias and couldn't peruse the non-Wall threads like I wanted, but am glad I finally found your response.  It was worth the wait.

I am actually 1st generation Asian Indian.  Again being neither black nor white, I can see it from both sides.  But what you said is pretty much what I believe as well and it was good to hear it from someone closer to the action, so to speak.

And you won't be banned for respectfully speaking your mind, especially if it's the truth.  So no worries there.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Seattle votes to defund police...and by defund the police, they mean begin to eliminate the entire Seattle Police Derpartment.

Not good news for leftists who insist the definition of 'defund the police' is misunderstood.

Good luck, Seattle. This should go swell with your plan to shut down and empty your downtown prison.

That's f'n insane.

• Like (+1) 2

Seattle moves to slash police budget by $20M to offset coronavirus losses as officials vow to dismantle CHOP

The mayor’s budget proposal will be introduced as the city of Seattle faces “economic devastation and job losses that have led to record unemployment, an unprecedented loss of $300 million in revenue, and community needs including food access and housing assistance.” The plan also vowed to “develop a new vision of the East Precinct area in partnership with community leaders.”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-mayor-durkan-police-budget-20-million-coronavirus-chop-chaz-protest-zone

thanks Trump