Defund the Police?

6 hours ago, ALF said:

This many high profile deaths of black people by police puts the lives of police in danger for retaliation , riots , looting and funding cuts. jmo  

Over the last few years police in the entire USA have killed an average of 9 unarmed black people in each of those years. They have killed on average 19 white people under the same circumstances. Many of these people were resisting arrest. Regardless of each of these tragedies the media is magnifying them to foment rioting and unrest. The cops can't do their jobs properly under this kind of a pressure cooker environment and the dems and their cohorts in the media are happily pushing it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Many people aren't defending the drunk but question did the cop have to shoot the drunk dead.  When I watched the body cam video what struck me is how the cop and drunk were with each other for 40 minutes or so and how quickly it escalated.  This wasn't an a-hole cop that we've all dealt with at one time or another and the drunk seemed cooperative. 

The conversation was friendly so it was likely the drunk would fully comply with him being handcuffed.  However, the guy was drunk so there's always a chance he'll act irrationally and the cop didn't seem ready for that (which goes back to training).  The drunk stole the taser and tried to shoot the officer.  You can die with a taser so the cop feared for his life and shot the guy dead which I believe is allowed in that circumstance.  The DA definitely overreached to both appease the mob and knowing they could get him on a lesser charge. If it's true the cop kicked the guy he just shot dead, he'll probably be found guilty of assault.  The other officer may also if he just stood over his body without providing any kind of medical attention (which also may have to do with lack of training).

If you want to look at reform or better training than I think the first thing you can look for is what the cops could've done differently.  They searched him and he had no weapons.  He failed a breathalyzer test.  They had his information.  He wasn't a threat.  Why arrest him when his sister lived a few minutes away and not just drive him home and usher him a court date?  I've seen cops do this in similar circumstances.  This is going to be bad no matter what the verdict is.  Seeing a guy being shot in the back will get the protests and rioters out there if the cop isn't convicted of murder.  If he is, you're going to have a lot of cops quit or retire early arguing he feared for his life and we need some damn latitude to do our jobs without being fearful of our lives being ruined.

They kicked him while he was laying on the ground bleeding to death. 

If a person is running away you cant just shoot them dead. 

30 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

None of the videos show the guy getting kicked. Once again, you've been suckered into a false premise. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Don’t be an ass. You can clearly see that he turned and fired a weapon at the police officers. He was NOT simply running away.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Don’t be an ass. You can clearly see that he turned and fired a weapon at the police officers. He was NOT simply running away.

You think this was a justified murder? 

Shooting a guy running away? Wow 

You are also against big government, too, right? 

And pro-life? 

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You think this was a justified murder? 

Shooting a guy running away? Wow 

You are also against big government, too, right? 

And pro-life? 

Tibs...you’re off your game today. You said he was just running away. He was not.

I made no comment on whether it was justified or not, and yes I’m opposed to big government (although I’m not sure I’d categorize this topic there). Pro-life? Was the gentleman pregnant? Any other topics you wanna toss in here? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Many people aren't defending the drunk but question did the cop have to shoot the drunk dead.  When I watched the body cam video what struck me is how the cop and drunk were with each other for 40 minutes or so and how quickly it escalated.  This wasn't an a-hole cop that we've all dealt with at one time or another and the drunk seemed cooperative. 

The conversation was friendly so it was likely the drunk would fully comply with him being handcuffed.  However, the guy was drunk so there's always a chance he'll act irrationally and the cop didn't seem ready for that (which goes back to training).  The drunk stole the taser and tried to shoot the officer.  You can die with a taser so the cop feared for his life and shot the guy dead which I believe is allowed in that circumstance.  The DA definitely overreached to both appease the mob and knowing they could get him on a lesser charge. If it's true the cop kicked the guy he just shot dead, he'll probably be found guilty of assault.  The other officer may also if he just stood over his body without providing any kind of medical attention (which also may have to do with lack of training).

If you want to look at reform or better training than I think the first thing you can look for is what the cops could've done differently.  They searched him and he had no weapons.  He failed a breathalyzer test.  They had his information.  He wasn't a threat.  Why arrest him when his sister lived a few minutes away and not just drive him home and usher him a court date?  I've seen cops do this in similar circumstances.  This is going to be bad no matter what the verdict is.  Seeing a guy being shot in the back will get the protests and rioters out there if the cop isn't convicted of murder.  If he is, you're going to have a lot of cops quit or retire early arguing he feared for his life and we need some damn latitude to do our jobs without being fearful of our lives being ruined.

If you’re DUI they don’t just let you go home.  You need to be processed. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

"We actually have a photograph". Who knows what the officer was doing? It is a canard by a desperate DA for his own political reasons. Once again, you swallowed when you should have spit.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ALF said:

They reported Brooks already fired the Taser twice so was empty. Just let him go they have his ID and impound his car , he'll turn himself in when he calms down.

Won't happen but reminded of this job action

On August 5, following the PATCO workers' refusal to return to work, Reagan fired the 11,345 striking air traffic controllers who had ignored the order, and banned them from federal service for life. ... The civil service ban on the remaining strike participants was lifted by President Bill Clinton on August 12, 1993.

It appears he fired it once, on video. Which is nearly contemporaneous with the shots being fired. 

Also, the taser does not suddenly become a paperweight when the cartridges have been deployed. It is still a weapon and can be used in direct contact with skin. 

Your comment about shooting an unarmed  man in the back is completely disingenuous, and only serves to add fuel to the fire. He was a violent fleeing felon with a weapon in his hand that had showed the willingness to use it against police officers. And you parrot the solution that is being offered by ignorant idiots with an agenda as a viable one? No sir. Cops will not just those guys go. 

Brooks made every single decision, or forced every decision by his actions,  that night that led to his death. Take the L, fight it in court. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

"We actually have a photograph". Who knows what the officer was doing? It is a canard by a desperate DA for his own political reasons. Once again, you swallowed when you should have spit.

Wow, just wow. 

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

If you’re DUI they don’t just let you go home.  You need to be processed. 

I had a drunk guy run into the back of my car while sitting at a traffic light. I motioned for him to pull over into a shopping center parking lot so we could exchange info. He instead took off. Fortunately the women behind him wrote down his license number. I of course reported it but the police could not charge him with DUI since they found him inside his home shortly thereafter. They couldn't prove he didn't do the drinking at home. In this case it didn't really matter because they got him for hit and run and by the time his court date came up he was charged with DUI from another incident.  

18 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I’m not saying this is what the officer was doing, but wouldn’t it be normal to ‘kick’ the person to see if they are still alive, or a continued threat before kneeling down to assist them, which the officer did within seconds. The officer doesn’t want to get into another wrestling match or worse, get tased if the guy is faking it. Don’t tell me none of you haven’t done the EXACT SAME THING with something you found on the sidewalk or backyard before getting closer. 

Where is the media coverage about what happened down in Atlanta last night?  

Officers from multiple zones walked out at the start of shift leaving empty police prescients.  At one point they had over 600 pending calls for service.  Atlanta requested outside agency help and most refused to assist.  

This is radio traffic of them removing weapons from the Zone 6 prescient around 1 am this morning.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/katja_gq/status/1273491965590585344?s=20

• Thank you (+1) 2

KRUISER’S MORNING BRIEF: Atlanta PD Seems to Suffer Outbreak of ‘Blue Flu’ After Charges Brought in Rayshard Brooks Case. 

“After charges were filed against the officers involved in the Rayshard Brooks shooting in Atlanta, several members of the police department didn’t seem to be up to coming into work. The exact number of cops who didn’t show has been difficult to determine as the police union won’t admit that it’s actually happening and the media is just hoping this will go away.”

The media helped egg this on. The next time one of them tries to call the police, I hope there’s nobody there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

I had a drunk guy run into the back of my car while sitting at a traffic light. I motioned for him to pull over into a shopping center parking lot so we could exchange info. He instead took off. Fortunately the women behind him wrote down his license number. I of course reported it but the police could not charge him with DUI since they found him inside his home shortly thereafter. They couldn't prove he didn't do the drinking at home. In this case it didn't really matter because they got him for hit and run and by the time his court date came up he was charged with DUI from another incident.  

This is exactly right. I’ve spent most of my career in DUI Enforcement and this is always an issue with drunks and hit and runs. I’ve heard “experts” talking about just letting him go, or even just calling him an Uber and not even investigating the crime. One pundit said “that’s what a cop with a heart would do”...as if a cop that cares about getting drunks off of the street to protect innocent motorists is a heartless robot. These people are absolutely ridiculous. These are not viable strategies. Hindsight being 20/20, they probably should have tased him at the outset of the struggle, and that might have worked to get him in custody. On the video you can hear one of the officers repeatedly threatening to tase him. I’m not trying to Monday morning qb, because I’ve been there - repeatedly threatening to tase someone to gain compliance, but I actually preferred to not tase them because I know it hurts like a biatch. I learned that lesson the hard way. Stop saying it, and freaking do it!

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not saying this is what the officer was doing, but wouldn’t it be normal to ‘kick’ the person to see if they are still alive, or a continued threat before kneeling down to assist them, which the officer did within seconds. The officer doesn’t want to get into another wrestling match or worse, get tased if the guy is faking it. Don’t tell me none of you haven’t done the EXACT SAME THING with something you found on the sidewalk or backyard before getting closer. 

Or, maybe he was kicking the weapon away from Brooks’ hand? 

• Thank you (+1) 2