Defund the Police?

25 minutes ago, ALF said:

Choose a different line of work . Don't shoot a unarmed man in the back and you won't get charged.

Don’t drive drunk, pass out in the Wendy’s drive through, resist arrest, fight cops, steal a “deadly” weapon (the  DA’s words, not mine) from the police, and then aim it at them while running away and you won’t get shot in the back of the head. 

5 minutes ago, ALF said:

I respect your opinion because of your experience. How would you have handled the Brooks case in Atlanta . One story I seen on the news he was on parole and was terrified to go back to prison and panicked.

My apologies for my harsh response. I know you are always open to discussion and it was unnecessary. I don’t have the time at the moment; however, I do want to reply - and will. :beer:

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Don’t drive drunk, pass out in the Wendy’s drive through, resist arrest, fight cops, steal a “deadly” weapon (the  DA’s words, not mine) from the police, and then aim it at them while running away and you won’t get shot in the back of the head. 

This many high profile deaths of black people by police puts the lives of police in danger for retaliation , riots , looting and funding cuts. jmo  

1 hour ago, ALF said:

The mayor said if needed the County Sheriff Deputies and State Police would be brought in if needed.

I would think National Guard could ride with them as a backup. If Atlanta police want to walk away from a good paying job that you can retire young that's their option.

The Counties and State have told the mayor to pound sand, from what I understand.

Also, I think you have a misguided viewpoint on the compensation that police officers receive for their work. Most can’t retire young, and have to rely on working tons of hours of off duty work to make ends meet and provide for their families. 

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Choose a different line of work . Don't shoot a unarmed man in the back and you won't get charged.

Unarmed?? ALF...seriously?

Edited by Sig1Hunter

17 minutes ago, ALF said:

This many high profile deaths of black people by police puts the lives of police in danger for retaliation , riots , looting and funding cuts. jmo  

The many examples of black people resisting lawful arrest and fighting police increases the risk of black people getting shot by police. This guy in Atlanta is dead because he was under the influence and decided to be an idiot. It’s his fault that he’s dead. The cop was justified in killing him. No other case or cause dictates the particulars in that situation. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

The Counties and State have told the mayor to pound sand, from what I understand.

Also, I think you have a misguided viewpoint on the compensation that police officers receive for their work. Most can’t retire young, and have to rely on working tons of hours of off duty work to make ends meet and provide for their families. 

Unarmed?? ALF...seriously?

They reported Brooks already fired the Taser twice so was empty. Just let him go they have his ID and impound his car , he'll turn himself in when he calms down.

Won't happen but reminded of this job action

On August 5, following the PATCO workers' refusal to return to work, Reagan fired the 11,345 striking air traffic controllers who had ignored the order, and banned them from federal service for life. ... The civil service ban on the remaining strike participants was lifted by President Bill Clinton on August 12, 1993.

1 minute ago, Bakin said:

Let him go????

WTF

Why anyone would defend the Wendy’s drunk and blame the cops shows how out to lunch our society has become. 

Ah they know where he lives , he could be arrested later without having to kill him.

9 minutes ago, ALF said:

They reported Brooks already fired the Taser twice so was empty. Just let him go they have his ID and impound his car , he'll turn himself in when he calms down.

Won't happen but reminded of this job action

On August 5, following the PATCO workers' refusal to return to work, Reagan fired the 11,345 striking air traffic controllers who had ignored the order, and banned them from federal service for life. ... The civil service ban on the remaining strike participants was lifted by President Bill Clinton on August 12, 1993.

He broke the law. Multiple laws. He committed a violent crime. He was armed. Let him go? You’ve got to be kidding with this *****. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ALF said:

Ah they know where he lives , he could be arrested later without having to kill him.

And what if he holed up in his house with a gun waiting for the cops to show up?

Maybe he booby traps it a la Speed?

or he skips to Mexico!!

or he gets gender reassignment surgery and becomes Rashida!!

this is too dumb an argument to even have...isn’t it?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

He broke the law. Multiple laws. He committed a violent crime. He was armed. Let him go? You’ve got to be kidding with this *****. 

In one post Alf said he heard he was afraid to go back to prison and in an other that he’ll just turn himself on. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

In one post Alf said he heard he was afraid to go back to prison and in an other that he’ll just turn himself on. 

But don’t ya know, the taser was empty: 

“My good sir, would you mind holding off on your deadly weapon while I run away, now that I have expelled all of my deadly weapons in an attempt to do you harm?” 

“Righto good chap! Run along! Ta-ta! Do remember to turn yourself in to the constabulary at your earliest convenience.” 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The many examples of black people resisting lawful arrest and fighting police increases the risk of black people getting shot by police. This guy in Atlanta is dead because he was under the influence and decided to be an idiot. It’s his fault that he’s dead. The cop was justified in killing him. No other case or cause dictates the particulars in that situation. 

I actually agree with this but the District Attorney in Atlanta sees it completely differently.  And now a trial will happen. I hope justice prevails and not a politically driven and motivated witch hunt against cops. I can see many deciding to heck with This and leaving the profession in groves if they are found guilty of murder.

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

I can't imagine those charges sticking. Looks like the DA is hanging from a string and has way overcharged for political reasons. The cop may even be able to eventually escape any punishment. 

It may very well be that overcharging is part of the game.

1) The devastating effect it has on the existing morale of the remaining police force.

2) A new round of riots, when the charges don't stick.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bakin said:

Let him go????

WTF

That anyone would defend the Wendy’s drunk and blame the cops is a testament on how out to lunch our society has become. 

Many people aren't defending the drunk but question did the cop have to shoot the drunk dead.  When I watched the body cam video what struck me is how the cop and drunk were with each other for 40 minutes or so and how quickly it escalated.  This wasn't an a-hole cop that we've all dealt with at one time or another and the drunk seemed cooperative. 

The conversation was friendly so it was likely the drunk would fully comply with him being handcuffed.  However, the guy was drunk so there's always a chance he'll act irrationally and the cop didn't seem ready for that (which goes back to training).  The drunk stole the taser and tried to shoot the officer.  You can die with a taser so the cop feared for his life and shot the guy dead which I believe is allowed in that circumstance.  The DA definitely overreached to both appease the mob and knowing they could get him on a lesser charge. If it's true the cop kicked the guy he just shot dead, he'll probably be found guilty of assault.  The other officer may also if he just stood over his body without providing any kind of medical attention (which also may have to do with lack of training).

If you want to look at reform or better training than I think the first thing you can look for is what the cops could've done differently.  They searched him and he had no weapons.  He failed a breathalyzer test.  They had his information.  He wasn't a threat.  Why arrest him when his sister lived a few minutes away and not just drive him home and usher him a court date?  I've seen cops do this in similar circumstances.  This is going to be bad no matter what the verdict is.  Seeing a guy being shot in the back will get the protests and rioters out there if the cop isn't convicted of murder.  If he is, you're going to have a lot of cops quit or retire early arguing he feared for his life and we need some damn latitude to do our jobs without being fearful of our lives being ruined.

• Like (+1) 1

All this talk about defunding and reforming the police. Maybe we need to reform the criminals. If you take away the rights of the cops to protect themselves,  do you think the criminals will all of a sudden stop being violent?

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, westside2 said:

All this talk about defunding and reforming the police. Maybe we need to reform the criminals. If you take away the rights of the cops to protect themselves,  do you think the criminals will all of a sudden stop being violent?

I think that if the local communities want them defunded or reformed, that is their right to do so. However, there are real life consequences to allowing an increase in crime, especially violent crime, in the area, not the least of which is people with the means to leave to actually do so, with the poorer less mobile people left with even bigger problems. If that is what they want at the local level, then so be it. Their property values will collapse if it goes wrong though, and investments in those areas will diminish. Not my problem. Criminals must be protected, their victims, not so much.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Let him drive home. Drunk. Peak stupid.

Exactly. Alf is assuming that the guy won't run someone over or kill someone in a car accident. If the cops new he was drunk and just let him go, and he then perhaps kills someone, the cops would be demonized again for that. Perhaps the police should take a few months off and let their respective communities decide what they really want to do.

• Like (+1) 1

This seems like another racist ploy by the left to expedite black genocide. In order to kill off blacks they:

1) Keep pushing abortion since it disproportionately kills off blacks

2) Get the police out of black communities in order to further escalate black on black crime and ensure black small businesses get looted and destroyed

3) Keep mass importing non-black foreign workers to areas of dense black population to take their jobs and undercut their wages and replace their vote

I mean, if I was a white supremacist, then I would be behind everything the left is trying to do.

Edited by Troll Toll
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1