Brian Daboll press conference 6/5

4 hours ago, eball said:

Did McD put together a great staff or what?  He, Frazier, and Daboll make me proud to be a fan.  These guys "get it" and have hit all the right notes in talking about the racial crisis.

Dennison was a clunker.  Daboll was year  2.  Everybody has to iterate some to get a good mix.

19 minutes ago, SCBills said:

That is quite the impressive interview for Daboll.

Leadership x 1000 

Daboll is perhaps HC material in the sense that I think he may be better as a HC than a OC. I don’t hate his Xs and Os, he’s not perfect but he has done a decent job especially given the type talent he had here early on but he strikes me as an Andy Reid type as a HC. Players love him and trust him and love to play for him. I think he could be someone who would be successful hiring a OC to call plays and be the CEO type like a John Harbaugh. Jmo 

I think Daboll has been a panacea for all wrong with our offense, and he had to call plays based on our strengths.  The line is sharp, they have the talent he needed, and it’s down to Allen playing better.  Did he make dumb calls at times like running Gore vs. Singletary at times when he was wearing out?  Yep, but we could do worse.

I can only hope that Daboll loves being a key part (OC) of a winning team in his hometown more than he wants to be a HC.  Pipe dream, I know, but I think he'll quiet most of his critics this season and there's no doubt he has it upstairs to be running the show.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

I can only hope that Daboll loves being a key part (OC) of a winning team in his hometown more than he wants to be a HC.  Pipe dream, I know, but I think he'll quiet most of his critics this season and there's no doubt he has it upstairs to be running the show.

Can a team have two Assistant Head Coaches??

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Daboll is perhaps HC material in the sense that I think he may be better as a HC than a OC. I don’t hate his Xs and Os, he’s not perfect but he has done a decent job especially given the type talent he had here early on but he strikes me as an Andy Reid type as a HC. Players love him and trust him and love to play for him. I think he could be someone who would be successful hiring a OC to call plays and be the CEO type like a John Harbaugh. Jmo 

A team hiring Brian Daboll, with his career  of bouncing endlessly from one organization to another--college and pro--would likely incite race riots!  He is the national monument to the NFL's mantra: "it's not what you know, but who you've been around".  Even the Browns thought it was a bad idea--and they KEPT Hue Jackson after dropping from 1-15 to 0-16. When Daboll showed up for his interveiw, the Browns FO said: "Freddie, what are you doing here?".

This guy has never held a specific  job for any team for more than 4 years before moving on or getting fired.  He lost 3 OC jobs in 3 years--the last in KC, where Andy Reid had no use for him.  He has had no success anywhere as an OC (sorry, stopping by National Title Factory Alabama as "Co- OC and QB Coach" for a year doesn't count).  

Sorry boys,  the Browns were the best shot to get Daboll out of the Offense.

Edited by Mr. WEO

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I appreciate his words and leadership, but can we see him put together a good offense first? Maybe even an average one before begging him to stay? 

Afraid not.  We like to get ahead of ourselves around here.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I appreciate his words and leadership, but can we see him put together a good offense first? Maybe even an average one before begging him to stay? 

1 hour ago, Happy said:

Afraid not.  We like to get ahead of ourselves around here.

You root for the team your way and I'll root for them mine.  Anyone can cherry pick a play or two from a game and blame the playcaller, but Daboll has hardly been given a full set of tools to work with before this season.

8 hours ago, eball said:

You root for the team your way and I'll root for them mine.  Anyone can cherry pick a play or two from a game and blame the playcaller, but Daboll has hardly been given a full set of tools to work with before this season.

Miami put together a better passing Offense on team that was "tanking".  

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Well that was partly because offense was not listening to OC because it was far too complex in first year and was listening to QB.

Correct.  My thought was that even though the offense was too complex, they still had a better passing offense than we did...with Fitzpatrick.  Daboll's offense was too complex for Josh and a bunch of young, second year WRs, as well as rookie TE's.  We struggled to score points, yet Daboll is retained.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Except in this case (the part you ignore) the offense is listening to the OC with most of the OL and WRs new.

The OL is the same as it was last year; who is new in the starting lineup?.  We picked up Diggs and drafted a couple of rookie WRs, but otherwise we retained our WR corps.  Who wanted Foster, McKenzie, John Brown, and Beasley?  All of them are on the smaller side.  Remember jokes about the smurfs last year?  Did Beane go rogue, or did Daboll have a considerable say in who he wanted?  I would have to believe McD deferred the personnel decisions and requests to Daboll since he is the OC and McD doesn't seem like a micromanager; he gave Dennison enough rope to hang himself.  I believe Daboll made the offense too complex for the personnel he had.  His play calling is questionable, to say the least.  

It's amazing that these ex-Pats position coaches who get a shot at OC make the offense complex and try to emulate what NE did with a veteran QB, who took years to learn the E-P offense.  When Brady became the QB in 2001 and went to the SB that year, as well as well as 2003 and 2004 seasons, Brady wasn't the Brady of later in his career, he was developing into the QB he is (or was, at least).  NE relied on their defense to win.  That all seems to escape Daboll and his supporters/sympathizers.  Daboll needs 11 vets, and the more all pros the better, for his offense to be effective.

On 6/5/2020 at 10:01 AM, eball said:

Did McD put together a great staff or what?  He, Frazier, and Daboll make me proud to be a fan.  These guys "get it" and have hit all the right notes in talking about the racial crisis.

i love when your are positive!

On 6/5/2020 at 11:37 AM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Another playoff season, improved offensive metrics and Josh showing out = Dabs will probably not be long for getting a HC gig, maybe as soon as end of this season, that would seem to be pretty much assured. 

Some guys don't want to wear the HC crown. And that is ok. Others do and then realize they were not meant to be a HC. Some guys embrace the coordinator role as they know what they are good at. I hate the patsies but let's use them to make this point. Their Offensive Coordinator? He will always fail as a head coach. Even as the successor in NE.

• Like (+1) 1