I hate Summer Part V

plenzmd1

3 minutes ago, teef said:

north...get one of the robot vacuums.  they're worth they're weight in gold.  you drop that sucker in, and let it do its thing.  i put mine on a 3 and a half hour clean, and it's perfect afterward...that's if it's really dirty.  testing the water is a bit of a pain, but i'm not vacuuming the pool myself.

My Father in Law has one and swears by it as well, however he paid $500 which I think is low end.   I am struggling with the idea of spending upwards of $1500 dollars for the pool.  However, it may be worth my sanity as I feel like the dirt is starting to laugh at me.

I bought the house last year, moved in August 2nd 2019, and the pool motor died the same week.  Its been a bit of a money trap. 

9 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

We (Virginians) have been stuck in a perpetual spring!!! 

We had (maybe) the first 90 degree and it was AFTER Memorial Day!! 

Maybe you should use him as your avatar 

hires_custom-9407414d6e47cacf19d48fe0f70

or we can call you Mr Schwetty Pants 

summer sucks...

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

We (Virginians) have been stuck in a perpetual spring!!! 

We had (maybe) the first 90 degree and it was AFTER Memorial Day!! 

Maybe you should use him as your avatar 

hires_custom-9407414d6e47cacf19d48fe0f70

or we can call you Mr Schwetty Pants 

This fellow is too upbeat and mellow to be Plenzmd. And this gent is much more fashionable and has better teeth.  Whatever you do don't ask him about the Sabres! His volcanic eruptions are a thing to behold. You need to stand back because the spittle will be flying all over the place. :ph34r: 

• Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

My Father in Law has one and swears by it as well, however he paid $500 which I think is low end.   I am struggling with the idea of spending upwards of $1500 dollars for the pool.  However, it may be worth my sanity as I feel like the dirt is starting to laugh at me.

I bought the house last year, moved in August 2nd 2019, and the pool motor died the same week.  Its been a bit of a money trap. 

new houses always are.  we've been in our house now for 5 years, so i bought the vacuum maybe 4 years ago.  i think i spent 900 bucks, and considering we have a large pool, it's more than enough.  you shouldn't have to spend anywhere near $1500.    between the vacuum and the automatic chlorinator, there's not a ton to do.  i screw with it once a week for about 45 mins.  

8 minutes ago, teef said:

new houses always are.  we've been in our house now for 5 years, so i bought the vacuum maybe 4 years ago.  i think i spent 900 bucks, and considering we have a large pool, it's more than enough.  you shouldn't have to spend anywhere near $1500.    between the vacuum and the automatic chlorinator, there's not a ton to do.  i screw with it once a week for about 45 mins.  

Like an unwanted dental exam  ...

growing up we had a decent sized 5 ft deep pool.

My pops was so cheap we sifted the sand by hand to keep it longer.  

Flush the system alone seemed to be once a week for about 45 mins. 

the vacuuming just meant 30 minutes getting a tan and keeping the arms tone.  

27 minutes ago, teef said:

I'll have to look into it.  The pool is large so it's timely to clean.   I will look into the chlorinator as well, thank you for that tip.

The pool is beneath a large maple tree so that adds to the headache.

28 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Like an unwanted dental exam  ...

growing up we had a decent sized 5 ft deep pool.

My pops was so cheap we sifted the sand by hand to keep it longer.  

Flush the system alone seemed to be once a week for about 45 mins. 

the vacuuming just meant 30 minutes getting a tan and keeping the arms tone.  

i flush it weekly too, but only for a few minutes.  i remember my dad spending hours on a sunday cleaning the pool.  i can't tell if he hated it, or used it to get away from us for a while.  

Edited by teef
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I'll have to look into it.  The pool is large so it's timely to clean.   I will look into the chlorinator as well, thank you for that tip.

The pool is beneath a large maple tree so that adds to the headache.

that's our situation too.  we removed a lot of the landscaping by the pool when we redid the back last year, but we have one flowering tree within feet of the diving board.  first it's the petals, then it turns into the dead seeds, now it's the cotton wood, (i think it's cotton wood).  the first half of june is annoying.  it gets easier after that...unless you have a bird problem.

3 minutes ago, teef said:

that's our situation too.  we removed a lot of the landscaping by the pool when we redid the back last year, but we have one flowering tree within feet of the diving board.  first it's the petals, then it turns into the dead seeds, now it's the cotton wood, (i think it's cotton wood).  the first half of june is annoying.  it gets easier after that...unless you have a bird problem.

Its cotton wood.  I literally just skimmed the wool off the top of my pool this morning.

We have lots of bird, but luckily for us they prefer our cars.

I told my wife if it doesnt start getting better my solution will be a bulldozer.

Edited by thenorthremembers

5 minutes ago, teef said:

come live down here...and be raking leaves June-August from the damn Magnolias...they smell great, but what a damn pain in da arse

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Yesterday was the perfect type of weather for me here in WNY - sunny and about 70. Not too hot, not too cold. Today and tomorrow (high 80’s/low ‘90’s) are going to suck. Anything much over 75 (and definitely over 80) is getting too hot for me. 

I lived in northern Florida for a few years. Winters were nice, but Summer was absolutely *&$#*&$ brutal there. My shoes actually melted to the blacktop once. I don’t understand how that type of heat is enjoyable for anyone. I didn’t want to leave the air conditioning. My apartment was insanely hot even with the central air. It was a crappy old military complex that had been turned into apartments though. They had no insulation, and it was in direct sunlight all day. The central a/c unit died and they had to come out and replace it. They accidentally brought the wrong unit (it was meant for a commercial building. I had a 2 bedroom apt.) but I was able to talk them into installing it. Even with that thing, I had to keep the a/c running constantly during the day to keep the apartment tolerable. I’m sure most of that had to do with the apartment itself though.

I also lived in the Bay Area of CA (Santa Clara). Now that’s my type of weather! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, teef said:

i flush it weekly too, but only for a few minutes.  i remember my dad spending hours on a sunday cleaning the pool.  i can't tell if he hated it, or used it to get away from us for a while.  

get away for a while.   Weed pulling time.  the kids scatter!!! 

4 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yesterday was the perfect type of weather for me here in WNY - sunny and about 70. Not too hot, not too cold. Today and tomorrow (high 80’s/low ‘90’s) are going to suck. Anything much over 75 (and definitely over 80) is getting too hot for me. 

I lived in northern Florida for a few years. Winters were nice, but Summer was absolutely *&$#*&$ brutal there. My shoes actually melted to the blacktop once. I don’t understand how that type of heat is enjoyable for anyone. I didn’t want to leave the air conditioning. My apartment was insanely hot even with the central air. It was a crappy old military complex that had been turned into apartments though. They had no insulation, and it was in direct sunlight all day. The central a/c unit died and they had to come out and replace it. They accidentally brought the wrong unit (it was meant for a commercial building. I had a 2 bedroom apt.) but I was able to talk them into installing it. Even with that thing, I had to keep the a/c running constantly during the day to keep the apartment tolerable. I’m sure most of that had to do with the apartment itself though.

I also lived in the Bay Area of CA (Santa Clara). Now that’s my type of weather! 

Finally a smart man!!!!!

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

come live down here...and be raking leaves June-August from the damn Magnolias...they smell great, but what a damn pain in da arse

i have a similar, more minor issue with lilacs.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/4/2020 at 9:04 PM, plenzmd1 said:

two recurring arguments wife and i had/have

1) private vs public was # 1..but both in college now so thats over

2) Moving to Buffalo...i have always said i will take a Buffalo winter over a Richmond/DC summer...question is would i enjoy them as much being single...not a simple answer LOL

Can you compromise and move to Altoona, PA? Halfway point between both cities.