I hate Summer Part V

plenzmd1

On 6/9/2020 at 10:31 AM, BillsFan4 said:

Yesterday was the perfect type of weather for me here in WNY - sunny and about 70. Not too hot, not too cold. Today and tomorrow (high 80’s/low ‘90’s) are going to suck. Anything much over 75 (and definitely over 80) is getting too hot for me. 

I lived in northern Florida for a few years. Winters were nice, but Summer was absolutely *&$#*&$ brutal there. My shoes actually melted to the blacktop once. I don’t understand how that type of heat is enjoyable for anyone. I didn’t want to leave the air conditioning. My apartment was insanely hot even with the central air. It was a crappy old military complex that had been turned into apartments though. They had no insulation, and it was in direct sunlight all day. The central a/c unit died and they had to come out and replace it. They accidentally brought the wrong unit (it was meant for a commercial building. I had a 2 bedroom apt.) but I was able to talk them into installing it. Even with that thing, I had to keep the a/c running constantly during the day to keep the apartment tolerable. I’m sure most of that had to do with the apartment itself though.

I also lived in the Bay Area of CA (Santa Clara). Now that’s my type of weather! 

That apartment sounds like my brother in law's in Buffalo- it was called the Kensington- and they had the best heat in the winter but it did not stop in the summer, and their apartment would be warmer than outside. As for the hot weather situation, I have finally gotten use to weather in Orlando but I do not like it, I just ignore it like I did -20 weather up north.

On 6/10/2020 at 3:40 PM, plenzmd1 said:

woohoo! And its only June 10th!!!!

BTW, Megan Wise fits into  the category "smokin hot"

Omg- that is 10degrees warmer than here in much of Florida. Good luck.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/4/2020 at 8:23 PM, plenzmd1 said:

My annual tradition begins again. Stuck inside all day, tried to eat dinner outside at 7:45 and still too damn hot and humid. Inside season has begun! 

If you like summer, you are a freakazoid and prolly like sticks to your eyes too!

Lord, cant wait for late Septemeber already!

move to northern Canada or Alaska and summer will be something you read about happening elsewhere

On 6/9/2020 at 9:45 AM, thenorthremembers said:

I'll have to look into it.  The pool is large so it's timely to clean.   I will look into the chlorinator as well, thank you for that tip.

The pool is beneath a large maple tree so that adds to the headache.

We have a row of trees right along one side of ours that constantly drop ***** into it. We have a robot vacuum and although pricey, it’s totally worth the time saving. I throw it in once every couple days for a cycle and we generally keep the cover on when we’re not using it, so I really don’t have to spend much time vacuuming / skimming. I have the stuff to run a vacuum off the suction but I think it’s just a pain in the ass. (Our pool is also pretty big and we have a deep end) 

On 6/9/2020 at 8:32 AM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Pools are a PITA.   

Lots of maintenance even w/o young kids mucking things up.  

I’m in WNY and had an above ground pool for 7-8 years when my daughter was between 9-17.  As soon as she tired of it, I tore it down.  Season is just too short in WNY.  I can’t believe the number of people here who plunk down 25k and up for inground pools.  Most people I know that have them,  do not extend their season that much with a heater. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I’m in WNY and had an above ground pool for 7-8 years when my daughter was between 9-17.  As soon as she tired of it, I tore it down.  Season is just too short in WNY.  I can’t believe the number of people here who plunk down 25k and up for inground pools.  Most people I know that have them,  do not extend their season that much with a heater. 

I’m shocked when I fly into Buffalo and look down at all those pools! WOW!  When we bought our last house in Florida it didn’t have a pool. I looked up the last 50 sales in the community, and 48 had pools. Even in modest housing a pool was expected....but that was FLORIDA! (We built a beautiful pool, and it made the house. They are not just for getting wet, they are a focal point.)  Not in the brief WNY season. I don’t get that. 

We just learned a neighbor 3 doors down is looking to list their house in August. I’ve never been in it, but I’m told it’s awesome. It has the world’s smallest pool and an OK spa. We will finish a bath remodel this week, and were joking “well, when you get a house just the way you want it.....you move!” We are going to look at this house as soon as she returns in July. She’d like to sell quick, and I’d like to save the 6% commission on the price........and GET MY POOL! 

The world’s smallest pool may lead to the world’s shortest move! 

Edited by Augie

• 4 weeks later...

@plenzmd1    99 degrees predicted next week. 

Are you ready for it?  

On 6/14/2020 at 5:47 PM, LabattBlue said:

My SIL has an inground and she's repairing it nearly every year.  

the grand nieces and nephews 14 and under don't help either 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

i think pools in wny are popular because the season is so short.  the moment it breaks 70, we don't go back inside until mid september.  the kids are in the pool every day.  i probably go in 4 times a week.  we hang out, grill, have drinks, etc almost every day.  i find locals to be very much home bodies this time of year.

On 6/14/2020 at 6:04 PM, Augie said:

The world’s smallest pool may lead to the world’s shortest move! 

My father has you beat. When he was a lad, he and is siblings moved 2 doors down. It was a parade of children running back and forth between the two house carrying everything. No packing boxes, trucks, etc, needed. 

6 hours ago, teef said:

i think pools in wny are popular because the season is so short.  the moment it breaks 70, we don't go back inside until mid september.  the kids are in the pool every day.  i probably go in 4 times a week.  we hang out, grill, have drinks, etc almost every day.  i find locals to be very much home bodies this time of year.

A cousin of mine, her and her husband have an inground heated pool, here in the Syracuse area. They've used it in March some years. 

29 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

My father has you beat. When he was a lad, he and is siblings moved 2 doors down. It was a parade of children running back and forth between the two house carrying everything. No packing boxes, trucks, etc, needed. 

A cousin of mine, her and her husband have an inground heated pool, here in the Syracuse area. They've used it in March some years. 

Heating a pool starting in March must bring a nice G&E bill

On 6/11/2020 at 4:37 PM, Mark Vader said:

Can you compromise and move to Altoona, PA? Halfway point between both cities.

Ha, just saw this. Drive through Altoona on my way to Bills home games. That’s a hard pass! Well, all of PA is a hard pass. 

and oh , lookie here. Our “ best”’day of the week ?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Ha, just saw this. Drive through Altoona on my way to Bills home games. That’s a hard pass! Well, all of PA is a hard pass. 

and oh , lookie here. Our “ best”’day of the week ?

Yesterday was kind of nice.....   Its going to be brutal the next 5 or 6 days.   thank god the 99 and 100 predictions dropped by 4 or 5 degrees. (every little bit helps) 

9 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Yesterday was kind of nice.....   Its going to be brutal the next 5 or 6 days.   thank god the 99 and 100 predictions dropped by 4 or 5 degrees. (every little bit helps) 

i did get some yard work yesterday afternoon, but needed a good sweat.Have a packed day today with all outside activities..already have 32 oz of water in  me this morning

we look to be mid 90's all week...woohoo

13 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

i did get some yard work yesterday afternoon, but needed a good sweat.Have a packed day today with all outside activities..already have 32 oz of water in  me this morning

we look to be mid 90's all week...woohoo

I think I heard 19 straight days in DC above 90.  

Living in the mountains it was 5 degrees cooler.  

8 minutes ago, teef said:

anyone having problems with the gypsy moth caterpillars?  they've stripped a bunch of our trees, and their ***** has completely covered a portion of our pool area.  why not?

When I was living up there Gramps had his "solution"     Get a long pole, tie a rag on the end, soak in kerosene, light and burn those *****.  

I did that here last year or the year before.   I also sprayed the crap out those that fell to the ground with bug killer.  

you have to get them when they are small.

photo3.JPG

another option.  cut down the branch, then burn those suckers 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

When I was living up there Gramps had his "solution"     Get a long pole, tie a rag on the end, soak in kerosene, light and burn those *****.  

I did that here last year or the year before.   I also sprayed the crap out those that fell to the ground with bug killer.  

you have to get them when they are small.

photo3.JPG

we were never even aware of them until a few weeks ago, when apparently it was too late to spray.  it's not all of our trees, but just two that happen to be close to the house.  there are so many caterpillars, that if you stop and listen, you can hear their feces dropping from the trees.  the mess it's made is incredible.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, teef said:

we were never even aware of them until a few weeks ago, when apparently it was too late to spray.  it's not all of our trees, but just two that happen to be close to the house.  there are so many caterpillars, that if you stop and listen, you can hear their feces dropping from the trees.  the mess it's made is incredible.

I'm familiar so I know to take immediate action.  

Not being your tree stops you cutting it w/o permission unless IT is on your property.   

..  I'd still torch them.    It will \only get worse 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, teef said:

An alternative (if used in time) that won't risk damage to the tree itself, is some double-sided tape that they can't climb over, and will prevent them nesting in the branches that they need in order to form their hideous nests. You can buy it pretty much anywhere, and example is the pic below, but in a pinch you can fold over some duct tape and make it work as well. Key is checking on the adhesive every so often to make sure it's still doing the trick. We used this method when I was kid at the start of the season, and I remember it being quite effective. Of course, Slim Shady also has offered very effective methods once you're in the nesting phase in the branches already :) 

51sDxqPF7aL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

• Like (+1) 2