To kneel or not to kneel...

Would you take a knee and apologize if asked?   

41 members have voted

1. 1. If approached in public by a person or group asking you to kneel -- would you do it?

49 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Ignoring whatever the ***** that first part is I do admit that as a white person I might of had things easier/less things in my way than if I wasn't and once again I'm not apologizing for being born white but I do think we should strive for equality.

How do you know this?

As a white person, how do you know what the black experience is?  How can you control for socio-economics, area of residence, education level, proximity to crime?

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Let me clarify.  My initial response to polite people is polite reply, and as he approached her he was polite.  My general response to being approached on a street by a guy with a camera would almost always, exclusively be "No thank you".  Sign a petition?  "No thank you!".  Ta;k about God?  "No thank you!".   I can't imagine I'd still be speaking as he suggested I kneel, at the minimum I would be three steps ahead trying to keep an eye on him in case things escalated.  Make no mistake, this strikes me as a very weird encounter and I'm not really down with that. 

Oh, on the central park lady who lost her ^%$# when the guy asked her to leash her dog.  Somewhere back I posted that while I thought she was crazy, the guy was a weirdo as well.  He confronts a lady about her dog being off leash (like he's the dog warden), then when she gets upset, he trie to lure her dog over to him with a treat.  I'm willing to bet any sensible woman in America would find her spidey senses tingling when a strange male of any color engages you and tries to get your dog over to him in a park.  

Cant agree on this one. She was being an ass, plain and simple. Central Park, and that section of the Ramble in Particular..is a unique place. It needs to proteted.

She was breaking the law plain and simple, he asked her poiltely to follow the law. She goes ballistic..cause black man had the audacity to ask her to follow the law. When she doesnt, he knows what drives dog nuts crazy...

Reverse the roles..black man with a pit bull off the leash , and white woman says put the leash on your dog...your thoughts still the same?

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

How do you know this?

As a white person, how do you know what the black experience is?  How can you control for socio-economics, area of residence, education level, proximity to crime?

I'm not sure what you're saying here.  Are you asking how I can control MY socio-economics, area of residence, education, proximity to crime?  I doubt that's what you're saying.  I really HOPE that's not what you're saying. 

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Say what??  How did he prevent her from speaking?

***** the Golden Rule.  I don't care how you want to be treated.  I follow the Platinum Rule.  Treat me how I want to be treated. 

Right when she's about to explain her feelings on the matter he cuts her off and starts speaking about trump. He also gets her to take a knee in the first place saying it would show solidarity with the situation.

Economic disparity is often earned IMO regardless of race both to the high side (very wealthy) and the low side (below average).  It's earned through hourly and daily decisions and actions over long stretches of time beginning early in life. Find a teacher that has taught in both poor and wealthy areas at the middle school or high school level and ask them about student and parent behavior.  You'll get an earful.  It's not about color so much as it is about commitment to achievement. 

Edited by keepthefaith
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Right when she's about to explain her feelings on the matter he cuts her off and starts speaking about trump. He also gets her to take a knee in the first place saying it would show solidarity with the situation.

A stranger asks me a question on the street and when I talk cuts me off I walk away.  And she kneels on command.  ?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chef Jim said:

A stranger asks me a question on the street and when I talk cuts me off I walk away.  And she kneels on command.  ?

she was already on her knees from the solidarity bit but did get out of there pretty quickly after he cut her off to go on his Trump spiel.

4 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

A - freaking -men.

The golden rule...don't be a dick.  

Pretty sure that the Golden Rule states, "He who has the gold makes the rules".

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:
I didn't have the energy to make a whole meme out of it, but this is the 'kneel' issue in a nutshell.

kneel-before-zod – foolish watcher

http://i-mockery.com/generalzod/

Eye lasers help.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I'm not sure what you're saying here.  Are you asking how I can control MY socio-economics, area of residence, education, proximity to crime?  I doubt that's what you're saying.  I really HOPE that's not what you're saying. 

I wasn’t directing this to you, I was asking this of Warcoded.  But since you’ve asked:

Control, as in control group.  IE, what he presumes to be the black experience, how can he know what is due to skin color, as opposed to socio-economics? Or proximity, etc.

5 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I wasn’t directing this to you, I was asking this of Warcoded.  But since you’ve asked:

Control, as in control group.  IE, what he presumes to be the black experience, how can he know what is due to skin color, as opposed to socio-economics? Or proximity, etc.

Of course your post wasn’t directed at me. I was just looking for clarification. Thanks. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Let me clarify.  My initial response to polite people is polite reply, and as he approached her he was polite.  My general response to being approached on a street by a guy with a camera would almost always, exclusively be "No thank you".  Sign a petition?  "No thank you!".  Ta;k about God?  "No thank you!".   I can't imagine I'd still be speaking as he suggested I kneel, at the minimum I would be three steps ahead trying to keep an eye on him in case things escalated.  Make no mistake, this strikes me as a very weird encounter and I'm not really down with that. 

Oh, on the central park lady who lost her ^%$# when the guy asked her to leash her dog.  Somewhere back I posted that while I thought she was crazy, the guy was a weirdo as well.  He confronts a lady about her dog being off leash (like he's the dog warden), then when she gets upset, he trie to lure her dog over to him with a treat.  I'm willing to bet any sensible woman in America would find her spidey senses tingling when a strange male of any color engages you and tries to get your dog over to him in a park.  

Damn Leh-nerd you need 6 steps mister! At your age you probably need 9.

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Cant agree on this one. She was being an ass, plain and simple. Central Park, and that section of the Ramble in Particular..is a unique place. It needs to proteted.

She was breaking the law plain and simple, he asked her poiltely to follow the law. She goes ballistic..cause black man had the audacity to ask her to follow the law. When she doesnt, he knows what drives dog nuts crazy...

Reverse the roles..black man with a pit bull off the leash , and white woman says put the leash on your dog...your thoughts still the same?

I responded last night but deleted the post. I find it difficult to share my thoughts without sounding like I think i have any great solutions here, because I do not. 

Roles reversed:

I've spent some time in NYC, though I'm no expert on the culture. I think if the roles are reversed, there is a high likelihood that the man with the dog off the leash wonders if the lady telling him to leash his dog is from the dog police, he likely tells her to mind her own business, and gets irritated when she tries to lure the dog over with treats. 

I think when the video goes viral, more than half the people responding think she targeted him because of his skin color, more than half think she's the dog leash nazi, and the others think he was wrong and should have his dog on a leash. 

Again, I think this was an odd encounter on both parts, and I remain convinced he was wrong to offer the dog a treat to come over to him.  I'm actually surprised I'm the only one who feels that way. 

She's nuts, we agree. I walk my dog off leash at a local park from time to time, play fetch with him at a local soccer field when no one is around, and always keep an eye out for other dogs or people.  He's a big, friendly lab but I understand that not everyone feels the same way about dogs as I do.  I don't see that as being an ass as much as I see it as a guy trying to give his dog a good life. Certainly if someone asked me to put a leash on him I would comply. 

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I responded last night but deleted the post. I find it difficult to share my thoughts without sounding like I think i have any great solutions here, because I do not. 

Roles reversed:

I've spent some time in NYC, though I'm no expert on the culture. I think if the roles are reversed, there is a high likelihood that the man with the dog off the leash wonders if the lady telling him to leash his dog is from the dog police, he likely tells her to mind her own business, and gets irritated when she tries to lure the dog over with treats. 

I think when the video goes viral, more than half the people responding think she targeted him because of his skin color, more than half think she's the dog leash nazi, and the others think he was wrong and should have his dog on a leash. 

Again, I think this was an odd encounter on both parts, and I remain convinced he was wrong to offer the dog a treat to come over to him.  I'm actually surprised I'm the only one who feels that way. 

She's nuts, we agree. I walk my dog off leash at a local park from time to time, play fetch with him at a local soccer field when no one is around, and always keep an eye out for other dogs or people.  He's a big, friendly lab but I understand that not everyone feels the same way about dogs as I do.  I don't see that as being an ass as much as I see it as a guy trying to give his dog a good life. Certainly if someone asked me to put a leash on him I would comply. 

got it!

Dogs in urban areas...always a fun topic! Kinda like religion, education and politics...always a fun treat!

Central Park, and especially the Ramble area, i guess is a contentious area..it is meant to be a wildlife and wild floroa sanctuary, and dogs off the leash do what dogs do, they pee and poop everywhere and, even in the city, hunt. And trust me, no one picking up the poop if it is not visable, including me!

My guess is, and only a guess, this is a persistent problem in that area, each dog owner saying" well my dog is nice, he does not do any damage, why cant i have him off the leash". The treats thing kinda made me laugh..prolly should not have, but knowing how crazy people are about their dogs..perfect way to piss people off..after all if the dog was on the leash, could not get to the treat!

I spend quite a bit of time in DC..and have two dogs..both rather large. We always joke our pit mix is "breed profiled"..people leave the dog park when we stroll up with him and let him off leash...and yet it is the lab -chow mix, who people assume is docile,  who would do real damage and want to run that park from the moment he set foot in it. The pit? Goes up, snifs some ass, licks  balls then ears...and says "cmon lets play, you be the boss"!

• Haha (+1) 1