Jake Fromm: Controversial comments

True or not , none of us know who Fromm really is , except those close to him. I've joked like this to close friends, especially in my early 20s , but never had a racist bone in my body. 

I'd imagine it being very hard going through high school and college with a bunch of mixed teammates, as the QB , and truly being a racist. 

• Like (+1) 1

The reason I think the Bills should cut Fromme is that this Bills team is pretty close together and has good cohesion. 

Why risk alienating a guy like Tre White, who is an all world corner who has literally won the Bills games, is a funny and thoughtful guy and positive personality? Why take the risk, especially in the tension we are living in right now culturally? I wouldn't trade Tre for two first round picks right now...why risk his potential happiness in his life for a 5th Round backup QB prospect who doesn't have an arm? 

Like not even getting into the racial aspect of the text, the damage he could do by staying is 100x more than any good he could do. 

I feel bad for him because that girl set him up so bad, but sometimes life isn't fair...

But there are riots going on, and I'm in no way going to stand up for Jake Fromme.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Take a look at Tre Whites Twitter... I’m sure a simple apology is all it takes?

Is there any Bills player other than White (who just retweeted a tweet from a guy who wasn't even in the team meeting) saying/tweeting anything?

Edited by Doc

Just now, Pasaluki said:

The reason I think the Bills should cut Fromme is that this Bills team is pretty close together and has good cohesion. 

Why risk alienating a guy like Tre White, who is an all world corner who has literally won the Bills games, is a funny and thoughtful guy and positive personality? Why take the risk, especially in the tension we are living in right now culturally? I wouldn't trade Tre for two first round picks right now...why risk his potential happiness in his life for a 5th Round backup QB prospect who doesn't have an arm? 

Like not even getting into the racial aspect of the text, the damage he could do by staying is 100x more than any good he could do. 

I feel bad for him because that girl set him up so bad, but sometimes life isn't fair...

But there are riots going on, and I'm in no way going to stand up for Jake Fromme.

Let’s give Tre White some credit for possibly being able to accept Fromm’s apology before assuming Fromm’s mere presence is enough to fracture this team. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

I guess you missed the point. Let me make it more clear. Kaep supporters protest his non-hiring for his actions to be wrong, that a business cannot hire or fire people as they see fit. Strangely they will rain fire on Fromm if this is real and want him fired, not for his play, but for his statements.

In other words a business can fire people for what they see as a bad investment all of a sudden, but not in the case of Kaep. Yes ironic.

Or maybe it’s more nuanced than that? 

Or maybe the NFL is a relatively toxic organization when you think about their executive team (Owners, HC, GM, and league officials) and don’t actually do a good job of representing their work force. If I kept protesting racism at my employers, and they fired me but kept the racists. All the while telling people to be quieter about mentioning racism. Sure they’re within their rights, but that doesn’t make them right or just. 

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Let’s give Tre White some credit for possibly being able to accept Fromm’s apology before assuming Fromm’s mere presence is enough to fracture this team. 

I don't even think Fromm is worth it if Tre White forgives him and becomes his best friend. Wisdom is found in cutting your loses before they become greater. 

13 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

True or not , none of us know who Fromm really is , except those close to him. I've joked like this to close friends, especially in my early 20s , but never had a racist bone in my body. 

I'd imagine it being very hard going through high school and college with a bunch of mixed teammates, as the QB , and truly being a racist. 

The hard pill to swallow is that we do have racist bones in our body. And we get to control and change our behavior based on what’s important to us. I’ve said racist ***** in my life. Wish I hadn’t, but it has to be owned and behavior adjusted. It can’t be, I’ve said racist stuff but I am not racist. 

In regards to Fromm. It’s not that hard. People do it everyday. They think, and will even outwardly say in front of POC that black people are bad, just not the black people they know. It’s no different than saying “I can’t be racist, I have black friends”

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Billl said:

Saying it's okay to fire people for making racist statements but not for opposing racism is a hot take in your world.  

It has nothing to do with racism, but the hiring or firing of people who a team finds to be bad for your brand. That's the problem, you only see racism in this, not the principle. It's nauseating and short-sighted.

My point is if the Bills fire Fromm for racism they can and will if they believe it damages their brand and if this is true rest assured he's fired. But if they won't hire Kaep for calling the owners slave masters with his shirt Kunta Kinte you WILL see an issue when it's one and the same thing if that text is real. In both cases a team can protect their brand and it's one and the same issue.

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

Or maybe the NFL is a relatively toxic organization when you think about their executive team (Owners, HC, GM, and league officials) and don’t actually do a good job of representing their work force. If I kept protesting racism at my employers, and they fired me but kept the racists. All the while telling people to be quieter about mentioning racism. Sure they’re within their rights, but that doesn’t make them right or just. 

May I ask for proof of said racism by owners? If so I agree with you.

5 hours ago, JoeF said:

I understand its a private text, but is it a reflection of a pattern of behavior?  I think the Bills should at least investigate that aspect of this if they haven't as part of their due diligence on him.  If its a pattern; if there are other incidents (and that's a big if) it would be hard to keep him.

yeah - let's investigate. 

great idea.

16 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

It has nothing to do with racism, but the hiring or firing of people who a team finds to be bad for your brand. That's the problem, you only see racism in this, not the principle. It's nauseating and short-sighted.

My point is if the Bills fire Fromm for racism they can and will if they believe it damages their brand and if this is true rest assured he's fired. But if they won't hire Kaep for calling the owners slave masters with his shirt Kunta Kinte you WILL see an issue when it's one and the same thing if that text is real. In both cases a team can protect their brand and it's one and the same issue.

May I ask for proof of said racism by owners? If so I agree with you.

I didn’t mean that the owners themselves were racist (the odds say that some are though). I said they have a toxic work environment and do a bad job of representing their workforce. Which is true. 60%+ of their workforce is people of color. They continue to try and quite them down about speaking about racism. Although there are no official rules. Meanwhile, they’re trying to sweep actual racists under the rug. It’s a toxic work environment, that is only put up with because it’s the only game in town for a life changing amount of money. 

Edited by Mango

14 minutes ago, Mango said:

The hard pill to swallow is that we do have racist bones in our body. And we get to control and change our behavior based on what’s important to us. I’ve said racist ***** in my life. Wish I hadn’t, but it has to be owned and behavior adjusted. It can’t be, I’ve said racist stuff but I am not racist. 

In regards to Fromm. It’s not that hard. People do it everyday. They think, and will even outwardly say in front of POC that black people are bad, just not the black people they know. It’s no different than saying “I can’t be racist, I have black friends”

I guess the question begs, if you are restrained and mature enough not to make racist jokes anymore, are you no longer a racist? I’m certainly not calling you racist as this is a rhetorical question for us all. I think racism is much more than what we choose or choose not to say. The other side of the coin, I guess, is that people can say things that could be construed as racist, but who are not racist at heart. They’re just words after all. Myself, I see no difference in races, so I’m not going to go out of my way to treat one with kid gloves over another. Again, we are a race of humans, not colors. Treat others how you would like them to treat you. 

53 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It’s great that you had those relationships and that you’d give your life for your brothers regardless of race, creed, etc. There is nothing more honorable imo. 

But as I said earlier today, it’s not enough to simply not be a racist. Real change will only happen when we become “anti-racists” and that means zero tolerance when we hear it or witness it. That might mean telling friends to STFU, asking bigoted relatives to leave on Thanksgiving, etc.

Not being racist is too comfortable and convenient for us. When we don’t actively stand up when we see and hear it, we are complicit in the exercise of it. 

I can’t agree. I’m not going to go around and play thought police with people. These are adults we are talking about. If I see blatant discrimination going on, you bet I will intervene and speak up. Even though I detest racism, people are adults and deserve autonomy. In my profession, I’m trained to be overly tolerant and to avoid being judgmental at all costs. If they want to be ignorant, then they can be ignorant by themselves. At some point, they will be alone.  

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Pasaluki said:

I don't even think Fromm is worth it if Tre White forgives him and becomes his best friend. Wisdom is found in cutting your loses before they become greater. 

Greater wisdom is found in learning from your mistakes, seeking forgiveness, and being forgiven.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Greater wisdom is found in learning from your mistakes, seeking forgiveness, and being forgiven.

Maybe thats good advice for life.

Football isn't about seeking forgiveness. 

I care about the team more than a backup qb.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

I didn’t mean that the owners themselves were racist (the odds say that some are though). I said they have a toxic work environment and do a bad job of representing their workforce. Which is true. 60%+ of their workforce is people of color. They continue to try and quite them down about speaking about racism. Although there are no official rules. Meanwhile, they’re trying to sweep actual racists under the rug. It’s a toxic work environment, that is only put up with because it’s the only game in town for a life changing amount of money. 

I disagree. The job of the owner is to make the product viable. That's cold and calculating, but true. That product is football, not politics, and race is highly political. It's not merely objective, but subjective as well.

The problem with race arguments, is that racism is a subjective label in many cases. It can be objective when someone openly opines about their feelings against another race simply for being that race, but George Floyd's death is a living case study on the subjective aspect to it. Where is the proof the officer did so because of race? I haven't seen any evidence but I'm open to see any and all evidence.

Segregation, lack of voting rights, slavery, etc are all objective race criteria of racism. The problem is there is a subjectivity to what is considered racist that one person may see, the other disagrees, even if they are of the same race. Thomas Sowell and Cornel West differed on racism and both are black. That's why owners should tell the players to focus on the product and not the politics of it. I've never seen an owner of recent memory stop anyone from freely discussing objective racism, honoring black activists, but avoiding contentious discussions that become political.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

I disagree. The job of the owner is to make the product viable. That's cold and calculating, but true. That product is football, not politics, and race is highly political. It's not merely objective, but subjective as well.

Cool.  Just don’t ever criticize an owner for caring more about maximizing profit than winning...or for moving a team to a bigger city that will build him a stadium.

• Like (+1) 1