Jake Fromm: Controversial comments

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

There are conservative people in Buffalo, but the city is not a low-key conservative place anymore

We haven't had a Republican mayor in over 50 years. We are a liberal City now

The suburbs are different

Don't confuse progressive with Republican/Democrat or Conservative/Liberal.  

Just because we have not had a Republican mayor in a long time does not make Buffalo a liberal city.  Looking at the broader sense of the word, at least not compared to places like Boston, Los Angeles or Seattle.  When I left Buffalo in 1981 I found out just how slow and stodgy Buffalo politics were at the time.   Change was slow, progress stunted, and  ideas stalled  by a government that lacked risk takers and creativity.  This went on for decades.  Democrats were in charge for this entire time but I think the problems went beyond political party.  

Now you see that things are changing in Buffalo.   Investors are coming in with money, ideas are being launched, and young people are interested in living in the city.  For the past 15 years or so Buffalo has been much more progressive than I have ever seen in my lifetime.  I love going there and staying in the City whenever I do. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

I wonder, as we as a society continue to evolve, what will people in the future think of todays use of Twitter/ Facebook/ Instagram?    I just don't understand the need people have to share their life, their opinions, and their thoughts with so many people (including strangers) and at such a high frequency. 

I get that these applications started out as fun ways to communicate  but what drives this need for attention, praise, and validation?  

Narcissism?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dneveu said:

I'm of the opinion that you can truly joke about anything.  

I wish that were safe to do. I can lead to ugly places if you have certain topics, and certain people. I don’t know what the surrounding context was here, but you have to be very careful, especially in writing. I have a few friends I could go farther out on the limb with than others, but in writing.........I would never text some of the things I might say. They know I’m kidding, and no one else is going to stumble upon my joke and take it the wrong way. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Billl said:

We need to teach our young people that Twitter/ emails/ texting/ cell phones leave a stain.  They leave a trail that can come back to haunt.

Your words

21 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Talk about an over reaction.   I did not say "teach our kids to be more careful to avoid leaving a paper trail when expressing their bigoted opinions".   Of course you teach your kids not to be bigoted.  This "paper trail" (your words) can apply to anything. 

You owe me an apology, if you do not see that you do then YOU are part of the problem. 

9 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Don't confuse progressive with Republican/Democrat or Conservative/Liberal.  

Just because we have not had a Republican mayor in a long time does not make Buffalo a liberal city.  Looking at the broader sense of the word, at least not compared to places like Boston, Los Angeles or Seattle.  When I left Buffalo in 1981 I found out just how slow and stodgy Buffalo politics were at the time.   Change was slow, progress stunted, and  ideas stalled  by a government that lacked risk takers and creativity.  This went on for decades.  Democrats were in charge for this entire time but I think the problems went beyond political party.  

Now you see that things are changing in Buffalo.   Investors are coming in with money, ideas are being launched, and young people are interested in living in the city.  For the past 15 years or so Buffalo has been much more progressive than I have ever seen in my lifetime.  I love going there and staying in the City whenever I do. 

I've lived here my whole life and never left. I love my community and am a big part of it

The city may not be as liberal as Portland Oregon, but as a whole the city is very liberal

The suburbs are more conservative

Yes there's been more money coming in, and the cities turning around, but that is because of over twenty years of reform

Not necessarily a political thing. It was a revitalization thing that everybody got on board with, Left Right black white orange

A conservative has no chance of winning an election in the city today

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I've lived here my whole life and never left. I love my community and am a big part of it

The city may not be as liberal as Portland Oregon, but as a whole the city is very liberal

Yes there's been more money coming in, and the cities turning around, but that is because of over twenty years of reform

Not necessarily a political thing. It was a revitalization thing that everybody got on board with, Left Right black white orange

Yep.  Every member of the city council is a Democrat.

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

Your words

I said it leaves "a stain".  Not a "paper" trail.  Hard to leave a "paper" trail on twitter.  Although paper is analogous in this case, so I will give you that. 

You read into my point incorrectly and I do not like being called part of the problem by you.  Especially when I know the example I set for my 3 kids and you do not.  But I would offer that advice to any parent.   Sometimes you have to protect kids from themselves, they make mistakes.  We all learn as we go. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Not trying to hijack the thread, so I will just make a comment and back out of it regarding this. 

The city is not turning around, there is almost no data to suggest otherwise. It is a myth and local propaganda. Most of the county remains under employed, the city itself has wages barely keeping up with inflation. A disturbing number of children are living below the poverty line and that number keeps growing yearly. The same people that made money in Buffalo are still making it now. Savarino, Macaluso, Montente, Paladino, Sinatra, etc. (notice a pattern there?)Hell, the Jacobs family had no intention of moving Delaware North to a new building, the city made them and fit the bill to line the pockets of Uniland (Montante). But hey, the same developers keep developing, plus a new coat of paint, and everybody goes wild!  Buffalo is actually in for a rough spot if the economy continues to shudder because as of late, Buffalo has one of the highest cost of living increases in the nation, despite all the data on jobs, income, employement, and poverty. 

• Like (+1) 7

5 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I said it leaves "a stain".  Not a "paper" trail.  Hard to leave a "paper" trail on twitter.

Careful with what you post on a message board.  I was told that it leaves a trail that can come back to haunt.

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

They leave a trail that can come back to haunt.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Mango said:

Not trying to hijack the thread, so I will just make a comment and back out of it regarding this. 

The city is not turning around, there is almost no data to suggest otherwise. It is a myth and local propaganda. Most of the county remains under employed, the city itself has wages barely keeping up with inflation. A disturbing number of children are living below the poverty line and that number keeps growing yearly. The same people that made money in Buffalo are still making it now. Savarino, Macaluso, Montente, Paladino, Sinatra, etc. (notice a pattern there?)Hell, the Jacobs family had no intention of moving Delaware North to a new building, the city made them and fit the bill to line the pockets of Uniland (Montante). But hey, the same developers keep developing, plus a new coat of paint, and everybody goes wild!  Buffalo is actually in for a rough spot if the economy continues to shudder because as of late, Buffalo has one of the highest cost of living increases in the nation, despite all the data on jobs, income, employement, and poverty. 

I've touched on this before so I don't want to get to in depth and hijack this thread

The city is not one area. Buffalo is made up of the east side, the Westside, North buffalo , South Buffalo, downtown, Lovejoy, kaisertown, Elmwood village, Allentown etc

All these neighborhoods are pretty much separate. Some are doing better than the others

North Buffalo, Elmwood village, downtown, Allentown all have been revitalized or in the process of. It is gorgeous and a nice place to raise your family

The east side and west side are still projects for the most part, and needs serious revitalization. That is where most of the poverty and child poverty and sadness is. On the east and west side of Buffalo, the Southside also has a poverty problem

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Stupid ass text message but it was a year ago and in private. Not today after what has happened in this lat week nor in public. So tired of this modern day witch hunt. Beat your kids and get a few game suspension, but say a mean word in a private text conversation and get fired? Seems logical to me!

We are living in a gotcha society and it is kind of sad. Guys generally like to joke around and poke fun of each other. As long as it is in good fun, no malicious intent and you care for each other then it should be all in good fun. There are malicious acts and then there are things done or said in jest and some stuff falls in between. Everyone agrees the murder of George Floyd was wrong. Why did the police officer do it? I’m not sure, was it because he was a racist, maybe his wife was cheating on him and he was charged up that day, maybe he just has anger problems in general or maybe it was a combination of issues that came together to cause him to be an ####### to Mr. Floyd. But there are something like 340 million people that live in the country and there are millions of police contacts each year, most of which are conducted professionally with no issues. There are bad people in every industry so I’m not into painting all police as bad or all white people as bad and in need to accept there privilege or they are branded racists. There are a lot of white people that grow up in poverty and have not seen any real privileges. They are poor and attend poor schools and they don’t even get minority status for hiring or college entrances.

Maybe people are extra charged up because of the Covid quarantines. Maybe it is because  politically we are so divided and that extremes on either side can’t even have an honest conversation. And that’s maybe what really needs to happen, honest conversation without it feeling like you are at a witch-hunt trial as a white person. All sides can learn from each other if they are willing to listen and be honest. Only then can people reevaluate there opinions and thoughts. And the media needs to stop focusing on creating more divides and bring more truth and reality to the people without demonizing folks who think differently at a level that should be reserved for murderers and rapists. 

• Like (+1) 2

Context always matters.  I do not understand the context in this case.  Do silencers have a racial or class context?  I was never aware of one.  Was this some sort of gun control discussion?  By specifying elite whites was he excluding the entire rest of the population or was he excluding lower class whites only? I could list all the derogatory terms about lower class, rural whites but they may or not be considered offensive now so I won't.    

I saw some Tweet that implied Jake was saying that blacks should not have access to guns.  Come on now.  If you need to distort what was said to strengthen your point, then it was weak to begin with.

1 minute ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Context always matters.  I do not understand the context in this case.  Do silencers have a racial or class context?  I was never aware of one.  Was this some sort of gun control discussion?  By specifying elite whites was he excluding the entire rest of the population or was he excluding lower class whites only? I could list all the derogatory terms about lower class, rural whites but they may or not be considered offensive now so I won't.    

I saw some Tweet that implied Jake was saying that blacks should not have access to guns.  Come on now.  If you need to distort what was said to strengthen your point, then it was weak to begin with.

the conversation does seem to indicate there was prior conversation that was for whatever reason not included but who knows what that says.

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Not sure how "conservative" any of these people are, but...

Chris Jacobs is a NYS State Senator (R- Buffalo)  who represents part of Buffalo. He's a Republican. He's running for Chris Collins old seat though, so there is a chance he will be gone soon. Mike Ranzenhofer is also a Republican, (R- Buffalo), State Senator.  The third guy, Timothy Kennedy, is a Democrat.

I wonder how long it will be when the media shows up to the Jets facility to ask Gregg Williams if he could elaborate on his " kill the head and the body will die" comment several years ago? 

You see, I can play this game too! 

The kid has a little sarcasm in him, who doesn't. Plenty of people and team mates have come to his defense. Maybe it's time for some media circles to fish in deeper waters instead of wading in a stream.

• Like (+1) 1