Jake Fromm: Controversial comments

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Well Frazier said he THINKS the leaders will see he is sincere in the apology... clearly they don't. 

Says who? Because Tre retweeted one tweet?

This is why social media is stupid anyways, nothing good can come of it

And last I remembered Lorenzo Alexander didn't accept Josh Allens apology in the beginning either

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Tre White retweeted this... this could get awkward.

Won't be awkward cause Fromm will have to be cut.

But from what I read, Fromm never said only elite white people should have guns, but rather only elite whites should have suppressors which is implying that non-elite whites and all other races should not allowed to have those. That's racist and classist (and classless) and is a problem. I have no issue with it as a private joke to a friend (although not funny at all) but unfortunately for him it didnt remain private and now he must be cut. Too divisive of a statement for him to remain on the team. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Yeah I’m with you.  Maybe they can suspend him or keep him out of team activities and try to let it cool down.  But it’s a tough spot for him, his teammates, and the team.  

I am interested in how the fan base reacts to Tre this year. I think TW is setting himself up to be pretty vocal about this cause (and justly so). It is interesting McD held a presser the day after Tre publicly said he is keeping an eye on coaches that are silent publicly. Buffalo is a low key conservative place, I thought while McD's comments were valid, I wouldn't call them thorough. He chose his words carefully, as he does, and strayed away from discussing racism in particular. I am not sure that that will be good enough for a guy like Tre who is so outspoken. He is a fan favorite, it will be interesting to see how Buffalo reacts if he starts speaking out regularly about social and racial justice. 

I would have to imagine a black player, in a very black league would like coaches to stand up in a way the Popa does: 

“The thing that strikes me is that we all see this police violence and racism, and we’ve seen it all before, but nothing changes. That’s why these protests have been so explosive,” he said. “But without leadership and an understanding of what the problem is, there will never be change. And white Americans have avoided reckoning with this problem forever, because it’s been our privilege to be able to avoid it. That also has to change.”

Or owner Mark Cuban: 

"Dear White People: We are the ones that need to change. This is not one man's story. This is almost every black man's story. Which is why the problem is ours. We need to find OUR way to change what we do. There is no quick fix. It's a moral imperative"

9 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I’m not sure how much the apology helps him.   As noted, if his comments were solely based on class, why add the “white” qualifier?  And if there was something in the conversation not apparent from screenshots (e.g., sarcasm or an ill-advised attempt at humor), we probably would have learned of it in the apology.  I read the apology as ignoring the elephant in the room, which is the question of racial undertones.  He tried to sidestep the issue, and I wonder how helpful his apology will be.  

I think we are on the same page on this one. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

You also frankly have to live with different standards when you're living in the public eye; one of the costs of fame.

Then there should be no Hollywood...............

......No Mike Vick coming back to the NFL....

Nah.

Cripes, Drew Brees statement was being looked upon as hate speech.

This country has become soft as *****.

Remember when Shaq made fun of Asian people by trying to talk like one on TV?

That would be a death sentence today.

Eddie Murphy drew many laughs making fun of mimmicking people from other races. Should that be dug up since he was an adult and should he be villified today?

Edited by Beast

He wasn't talking about old white men, so stop trying to spin it.   He wasn't a kid, he was in college.   It's bad and I would expect some players will remember it.   He should expect to get some extra juice when he gets hit in a game.

Edited by billsfan714
  • Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

I am interested in how the fan base reacts to Tre this year. I think TW is setting himself up to be pretty vocal about this cause (and justly so). It is interesting McD held a presser the day after Tre publicly said he is keeping an eye on coaches that are silent publicly. Buffalo is a low key conservative place, I thought while McD's comments were valid, I wouldn't call them thorough. He chose his words carefully, as he does, and strayed away from discussing racism in particular. I am not sure that that will be good enough for a guy like Tre who is so outspoken. He is a fan favorite, it will be interesting to see how Buffalo reacts if he starts speaking out regularly about social and racial justice. 

I would have to imagine a black player, in a very black league would like coaches to stand up in a way the Popa does: 

Or owner Mark Cuban: 

Kaepernick was treated horribly in Buffalo the last time he played here.  We don’t have a very forward-thinking fan base, that’s for sure. But, we also accepted Shady after his behavior during the national anthem, so ultimately I think White will be OK.  

(For what it’s worth, I’m completely fine with what Kaepernick did, and although I completely agree with Shady’s political and cultural position I don’t think he handled his expression very well.) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Or owner Mark Cuban: 

If Tre keeps speaking out, he will cease to be a fan favorite. It’s Buffalo.

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This is where keeping him becomes an issue.

How much does anyone want to bet there are more texts like this out there?  Hard to believe anyone makes exactly one comment like this.

3 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

He wasn't talking about old white men, so stop trying to spin it.   He wasn't a kid, he was in college.   It's bad and I would expect some players will remember it.   He should expect to get some extra juice when he gets hit in a game.

Yeah if he makes it to preseason and is protected by dudes whose roster spots are safe he should expect a little bit of education from the opposing d-line. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

In the follow up text she tells the other girl that this is a teaching moment. She just ruined this guy's career.  Hell of a lesson. 

She cared so much about social injustice that she waited over a year until the time was right to do something about it. How opportunistic of her to wait until the world was watching to get on social media to yell “Hey everyone look at what I have!”

Im not excusing Fromm and frankly I couldn’t care less whether he stays or goes. Then again I also think that he was clearly joking but it was still a poor choice of words.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

Yes, most of us probably have said something in the past that we would regret today and I also suspect that most of us forgot all about it too.  Most people grow and evolve.  I am 61 and not the exact same person I was when I was 16, or 22, or 35, or even 50. 

We need to teach our young people that Twitter/ emails/ texting/ cell phones leave a stain.  They leave a trail that can come back to haunt.  

This thing we are talking about here, I am not sure it is real, or when it happened, or any other context written before it.  This stuff just shows up and BAMM.   I recall josh Allen was accused of racist remarks when he was a teenager and he had to address it. 

It sounds like a young person saying stupid things.  That is all I can make out of it. 

Here, here. When I grew up on the East side in the 60s, we all made racist jokes. Our Polish neighborhood bordered a predominantly Black neighborhood and there were dust-ups. I recall taking the NFT bus to Hutch Tech (remember bus passes?) and scuffles would break out  between white and black kids. As we grew up, some changed, some dug in deeper to their racial animus. That's just how people are. I'm hoping Jake from State Fromm is one of the 98% who just talk s**t but would never act on what he says. His racism may be like mine was, shared with your buddies for laughs. Not right but not sinister. I hope it's not deeper.

7 minutes ago, Mango said:

Or owner Mark Cuban: 

There are conservative people in Buffalo, but the city is not a low-key conservative place anymore

We haven't had a Republican mayor in over 50 years. We are a liberal City now

The suburbs are different

• Like (+1) 1

It's one thing digging up a 15 year old white kid tweeting rap lyrics and spewing random nonsense 10 years ago vs a 20 year old college leader in a more progressive era implying black people shouldn't have access to weapons that white people should. His apology wasn't very convincing just standard i'm sorry, given the current climate he should have done better there. I'd have no problem if we cut him given the climate and his skill. Also have no problem if he stays and makes amends and is better.

5 minutes ago, Rico said:

If Tre keeps speaking out, he will cease to be a fan favorite. It’s Buffalo.

Im all for Tre speaking out, but I could do without him retweeting a rival Safeties tweet about his own teammate.   Especially if they haven’t had a chance to speak one on one about it yet.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

Im all for Tre speaking out, but I could do without him retweeting a rival Safeties tweet about Tre’s own teammate.   Especially if they haven’t had a chance to speak one on one about it yet.  

Also Richard Sherman but all of these retweets are from within the last hour or so he's likely already spoken to them.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Im all for Tre speaking out, but I could do without him retweeting a rival Safeties tweet about Tre’s own teammate.   Especially if they haven’t had a chance to speak one on one about it yet.  

It’s a matter of perspective.  Tre probably looks at it like he and Jamal are on the same team, and that Jake has outed himself as the opposition.  I have no issue whatsoever with what Tre did. 

Edited by SectionC3
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1