Jake Fromm: Controversial comments

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Oh look, it’s a guy who stands for the way the world ought to be now telling us how the world is.

Is it moral that Jake Fromm loses his job from dumb texts he sent as a kid?

This is a better question with regard to Josh Allen's tweets when he was actually a kid. Someone getting in trouble at age 21 for something they did at age 20 isn't really much of a leap. It sucks for him, but this is also why people should think more before they say/do things.

• Like (+1) 1

Listen, it's obviously not right

But neither is some scumbag putting out private text conversations. 

It's not like he said I hate all people of color. The whole "make it for elite white people like me", sounds kind of off the cuff and a bad joke

People joke around and make mistakes, say things they shouldn't have, especially younger people

This is why you always have to be careful what you say, because it will take you down in 2020

Josh Allen used  some bad words also

Edited by Buffalo716

What if he was poking fun at "some" of the old elite white men in Congress or elsewhere who "could be" gung ho and feel only they are entitled to guns/silencers? If this was the case, why is him critiquing that old rich boys network mentality using humor  bad? I mean, was he being honest or sarcastic? Nobody seems to be focusing on that central issue. If he was being sarcastic, its called humor, perhaps to try to show how bad such racists in power can be. No story there  then. However, if he truly feels that only rich white persons should have those items/rights, yeah, it is hard for me to even accept any apology, as you cannot change that line of thinking easily.. You can put a bandage on it, or make amends, but that may not solve everything if biases are ingrained into ones psyche.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsDude said:

What if he was poking fun at "some" of the old elite white men in Congress or elsewhere who "could be" gung ho and feel only they are entitled to guns/silencers? If this was the case, why is him critiquing that old rich boys network mentality using humor  bad? I mean, was he being honest or sarcastic? Nobody seems to be focusing on that central issue. If he was being sarcastic, its called humor, perhaps to try to show how bad such racists in power can be. No story there  then. However, if he truly feels that only rich white persons should have those items/rights, yeah, it is hard for me to even accept any apology, as you cannot change that line of thinking easily.. You can put a bandage on it, or make amends, but that may not solve everything if biases are ingrained into ones psyche.

A good point.  Context is important.  The first blush doesn’t work out well for Fromm here.  Maybe, as you have suggested, there is more to the story. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

EDIT:  This responds to Doc’s post with respect to the possible constructions of Fromm’s text. 

Disagree.  He didn’t intend the first for obvious reasons of construction.   (In that event he would have said simply all whites.)  He may have meant something closer to the latter, which absolutely is classist.  The racial undertones appear through the use of the qualifier “white” in that context.  If there were no racial undertones to the comment, then there would have been no need for that qualifier.  The reference to “elites” would have sufficed as an expression of classism.  So he’s left with a statement that appears to be both classist and potentially racist.  Jake has some explaining to do to that locker room.

There are probably non-elite white people (like JESSEFEFFER ;)) who he wouldn't want to own a gun with a silencer.  He's from Georgia, after all.

(I keed, I keed.  One of my best friends is from Georgia).

Edited by Doc
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

This is a better question with regard to Josh Allen's tweets when he was actually a kid. Someone getting in trouble at age 21 for something they did at age 20 isn't really much of a leap. It sucks for him, but this is also why people should think more before they say/do things.

So then, people that commit crimes in life should unemployable, correct?

I mean, if some big bad tweet disqualifies one from future employment then real crimes should be a nail in the coffin.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beast said:

I mean, if some big bad tweet disqualifies one from future employment then real crimes should be a nail in the coffin.

He can be employed. Can always go to State Farm and sell insurance. 

4 minutes ago, BillsDude said:

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

A good point.  Context is important.  The first blush doesn’t work out well for Fromm here.  Maybe, as you have suggested, there is more to the story. 

His apology probably would have been different and would have given the context that he was actually mocking old white men and the government. But it didn't. He apologized for insinuating that HE was an elitist white man. But did NOT apologize for insinuating that elite white men should only have access to suppressors.

""I am extremely sorry that I chose to use the words 'elite white person' in a text message conversation," Fromm said in a statement posted to Twitter on Thursday afternoon. "Although I never meant to imply that I am an 'elite white person,' as later stated in the conversation, there's no excuse for that word choice and sentiment."

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's bad all around... if he stays the franchise is going have an image of "that's the the team that kept the racist QB".... and I can't imagine his teammates would be happy with the coach, GM or Owner for keeping him aboard.

I'd bet he gets released. 

Yeah I’m with you.  Maybe they can suspend him or keep him out of team activities and try to let it cool down.  But it’s a tough spot for him, his teammates, and the team.  

7 minutes ago, Beast said:

I'm not saying it SHOULD cost him his job. I'm just saying the idea that doing something at 20 and getting punished at 21 isn't really a big deal if the crime is serious enough to warrant it.

You also frankly have to live with different standards when you're living in the public eye; one of the costs of fame.

Edited by DCOrange

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

His apology probably would have been different and would have given the context that he was actually mocking old white men and the government. But it didn't. He apologized for insinuating that HE was an elitist white man. But did NOT apologize for insinuating that elite white men should only have access to suppressors.

""I am extremely sorry that I chose to use the words 'elite white person' in a text message conversation," Fromm said in a statement posted to Twitter on Thursday afternoon. "Although I never meant to imply that I am an 'elite white person,' as later stated in the conversation, there's no excuse for that word choice and sentiment."

I’m not sure how much the apology helps him.   As noted, if his comments were solely based on class, why add the “white” qualifier?  And if there was something in the conversation not apparent from screenshots (e.g., sarcasm or an ill-advised attempt at humor), we probably would have learned of it in the apology.  I read the apology as ignoring the elephant in the room, which is the question of racial undertones.  He tried to sidestep the issue, and I wonder how helpful his apology will be.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

This is where keeping him becomes an issue.

I just read what Leslie Frazier said about the incident, and I thought Fromm might be OK.  Now it seems like the All-Pro corner, who is well liked in the locker room, has a big issue with the kid.  Not good for Jake.  

• Like (+1) 1