Jake Fromm: Controversial comments

2 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

I think the idea of "cancel culture" is pretty overblown. Whose life has been ruined by a dumb mistake in choice of words? Maybe there are a handful of folks but I cannot think of one.

Dog park woman lost her job before the Floyd murder. That's just off the top of my head. 

Just now, SectionC3 said:

I don’t think cancel culture pertains only to choice of words, but Al Franken leaps to mind as someone who got the bum’s rush over one stupid moment in his life. 

True - but his life certainly wasn't ruined. He lost a Senate seat. He's still got family, friends, boatloads of cash (I assume), and is respected by most people.

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

I don't even care about him as a player at this point, just tired of the pitchfork crowd coming out at every provocation.  I've told my kids (16+20) to stay the f off social media because what's acceptable today will be a hate crime tomorrow and as a society we've lost the ability to consider context or the gravity of a situation but instead focus like a laser on being able to 'gotcha' people.  It's like the virtual French Revolution.  Of course the average twitter user doesn't know anything about history so they don't know what happened to the initiators of that particular event, or for that matter the vanguard of every revolution. 

You could also help them to not be bigoted or insensitive. And maybe you are. But that would take care of the issue right there, and they'd still get to waste their time on social media like everyone else.

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

This is bad.  The timing obviously is terrible.  But it’s vastly different from Allen’s social media issue a couple of years ago.  

What Allen said was dumb, but was fairly and fairly obviously characterized as a bad joke. 

What Fromm said has terrible undertones.  Only “elite whites” should be able to get silencers is what I understand him to have said.  Not “only elites,” but only white people with money.  And only white people with money should have access to a particular type (and, arguably, a particularly dangerous type) of weaponry.  This, of course, after what we as a society agree was at “best” the homicide of an unarmed black man by police in Minnesota about a week ago, and maybe at worst the broad daylight lynching of that man.  

I don’t believe in cancel culture, and I don’t believe that one dumb mistake in choice of words should ruin someone’s life.  But this is really bad, and ultimately it will be up to the locker room whether the kid sticks around. 

The "if it ain't white, it ain't right" didn't sit well with me. The rest seemed to just be song lyrics from Allen. Not defending it, but you are right, it is different. 

Fromm on the other hand, went out of his way to say that black people should not own guns. 

And to everybody saying it is a personal text. Yeah it is, and I could 100% lose my job if any of them got out. It isn't anybody's fault for reporting them. It is my fault for sending them. Like if I were to text a friend that "Jesus, my boss Jim is bat-***** crazy, POS and is making my life hell. Hope he gets hit by a car on the way home". If my boss Jim got a hold of that I could lose my job. That is nobody's fault but my own. 

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Dog park woman lost her job before the Floyd murder. That's just off the top of my head. 

I would argue that was way more than just a dumb mistake in a choice of words, though. 

Going too far down the rabbit hole.. back to Fromm :)

5 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I don’t think cancel culture pertains only to choice of words, but Al Franken leaps to mind as someone who got the bum’s rush over one stupid moment in his life. 

Colin Kaepernick

1 minute ago, Mango said:

The "if it ain't white, it ain't right" didn't sit well with me. The rest seemed to just be song lyrics from Allen. Not defending it, but you are right, it is different. 

Fromm on the other hand, went out of his way to say that black people should not own guns. 

And to everybody saying it is a personal text. Yeah it is, and I could 100% lose my job if any of them got out. It isn't anybody's fault for reporting them. It is my fault for sending them. Like if I were to text a friend that "Jesus, my boss Jim is bat-***** crazy, POS and is making my life hell. Hope he gets hit by a car on the way home". If my boss Jim got a hold of that I could lose my job. That is nobody's fault but my own. 

Uh oh...  Jim is on TBD. You’re going to have to pack up your stuff

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

This is bad.  The timing obviously is terrible.  But it’s vastly different from Allen’s social media issue a couple of years ago.  

What Allen said was dumb, but was fairly and fairly obviously characterized as a bad joke. 

What Fromm said has terrible undertones.  Only “elite whites” should be able to get silencers is what I understand him to have said.  Not “only elites,” but only white people with money.  And only white people with money should have access to a particular type (and, arguably, a particularly dangerous type) of weaponry.  This, of course, after what we as a society agree was at “best” the homicide of an unarmed black man by police in Minnesota about a week ago, and maybe at worst the broad daylight lynching of that man.  

I don’t believe in cancel culture, and I don’t believe that one dumb mistake in choice of words should ruin someone’s life.  But this is really bad, and ultimately it will be up to the locker room whether the kid sticks around. 

He meant to say either "all white people are elite" or "only white people who are elite" should be able to get suppressors.  If it's the former, it's racist.  If it's the latter, it classist.  Neither is good but one is far worse.

Edited by Doc

6 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

.....and if I remember correctly the scene ended with "go and sin no more".

I'm not a very "religious" person but that's a good lesson for everyone involved.

7 minutes ago, Mango said:

Oh look, it’s a guy who stands for the way the world ought to be now telling us how the world is.

Is it moral that Jake Fromm loses his job from dumb texts he sent as a kid?

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

Fromm on the other hand, went out of his way to say that black people should not own guns

No, silencers.

• Like (+1) 1

EDIT:  This responds to Doc’s post with respect to the possible constructions of Fromm’s text. 

Disagree.  He didn’t intend the first for obvious reasons of construction.   (In that event he would have said simply all whites.)  He may have meant something closer to the latter, which absolutely is classist.  The racial undertones appear through the use of the qualifier “white” in that context.  If there were no racial undertones to the comment, then there would have been no need for that qualifier.  The reference to “elites” would have sufficed as an expression of classism.  So he’s left with a statement that appears to be both classist and potentially racist.  Jake has some explaining to do to that locker room. 

Edited by SectionC3

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Oh look, it’s a guy who stands for the way the world ought to be now telling us how the world is.

Fine by me actually. 60% of the locker room is black. He said some racist stuff in the last 400 days or so. I wouldn't fault an employer for not wanting that in the room. And I wouldn't fault players for not wanting him there. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Capitalism doesn’t much care about morality.  If Jake’s comments are bad for business then he will be a former employee. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Fine by me actually. 60% of the locker room is black. He said some racist stuff in the last 400 days or so. I wouldn't fault an employer for not wanting that in the room. And I wouldn't fault players for not wanting him there. 

So yes?

Man, I hope no one ever leaks your dumb texts.

15 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

True - but his life certainly wasn't ruined. He lost a Senate seat. He's still got family, friends, boatloads of cash (I assume), and is respected by most people.

To a point, yes.  Maybe professional life or political life would have been better put on my end.  Of course, if Franken defined his life by his Senate seat, then the broader statement would have been fair.  

The same logic might apply to Fromm.  The kid’s life won’t be ruined if he gets fired.  But his professional football career might be over before it started.  

• Like (+1) 2