Jake Fromm: Controversial comments

1 minute ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

I’d cut him. Anything to upset the balance of the team right now needs to be gone. Seems like the JA stuff a few years back was handled internally and he earned the respect of his teammates. With emotions running high, I wouldn’t risk rocking the boat for a 5th rd noodle armed rookie.

Josh quoted song lyrics, which included the n-word.  He was insensitive, but not intentional. Fromm expressed prejudice. One is wayyyyy worse than the other. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

So you better be prepared to cut a bunch of other people too.  Let's create a twitter army and go through every tweet by every player and any sign that they ever engaged in any kind of wrongthink, they must be cut immediately.  Maybe send them to jail too because we can never be too pure as a people. 

How’d addressing the team go Jake?

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Josh quoted song lyrics, which included the n-word.  He was insensitive, but not intentional. Fromm expressed prejudice. One is wayyyyy worse than the other. 

Also this was Fromm a year ago as opposed to a teenage Josh Allen.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

It sounds like it was a joke.

oh no, he said guns are good! Lock him up!

As Mick Jagger once said,

“If you can’t take a joke, it’s just too ***** bad.”

I bet Tre and Addison won’t accept this apology. Based on there reactions to Brees’s apology. 

But maybe because they were made when he was very young still  guess we will see 

26 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

he deserves some blowback and serious conversations. How he handles those would be a major test of whether he stays.

Sure, if he needs to play that game and fake apologize that's fine. But it reads like an off-color joke to me. I mean really are we saying he truly thinks of himself as an "elite white guy" and that he is actually saying that to his friend? That's dumb. It was just a bad joke.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

How’d addressing the team go Jake?

I don't even care about him as a player at this point, just tired of the pitchfork crowd coming out at every provocation.  I've told my kids (16+20) to stay the f off social media because what's acceptable today will be a hate crime tomorrow and as a society we've lost the ability to consider context or the gravity of a situation but instead focus like a laser on being able to 'gotcha' people.  It's like the virtual French Revolution.  Of course the average twitter user doesn't know anything about history so they don't know what happened to the initiators of that particular event, or for that matter the vanguard of every revolution. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

If legit - and I am not saying it is - it's super-problematic for the obvious reasons, but also because Fromm has painted himself as Bible-quoting devout Christian whose hobby is praying. (I'm not making the last part up). https://sportsspectrum.com/sport/football/2019/08/30/georgia-qb-jake-fromm-follows-god-embraces-pressure-as-he-chases-elusive-title/

When someone exclaims how devout of a Christian they are as a point of self-promotion, you can rest assured they are a terrible person. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think it was just a bad joke. It’s not like he lynched anyone and this is coming from a man who hates racism, loves God and acknowledges and that my Savior is a Jew. Josh Allen made a bad joke in the past as well, cut him too. Bottom line is kids grow up. I admit that I’ve said and acted inappropriately in the past as well, but then I became a man and I turned away from my childish ways.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

he was also like 15.  I was talking about this to my buddy the other day, we didn't have twitter then - but imagine some of the crap we said when we played counterstrike.... 

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Sure, if he needs to play that game and fake apologize that's fine. But it reads like an off-color joke to me. I mean really are we saying he truly thinks of himself as an "elite white guy" and that he is actually saying that to his friend? That's dumb. It was just a bad joke.

Well no of course not if we're taking everything he said in this conversation as the absolute truth about his opinions he also states that he isn't one.

Just now, dorquemada said:

I don't even care about him as a player at this point, just tired of the pitchfork crowd coming out at every provocation.  I've told my kids (16+20) to stay the f off social media because what's acceptable today will be a hate crime tomorrow and as a society we've lost the ability to consider context or the gravity of a situation but instead focus like a laser on being able to 'gotcha' people.  It's like the virtual French Revolution.  Of course the average twitter user doesn't know anything about history so they don't know what happened to the initiators of that particular event, or for that matter the vanguard of every revolution. 

The rush to judgement in many cases is what bothers me the most.  Al Franken resigned like 2 weeks after accusations.  None of which could or would have likely been proven - all to help his party.  In the end Kristen Gillibrand used it as the launching point for her incredible failure of a presidential campaign.  

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

This is stupid. A private text convo? I don’t care whether he stays or goes really but lets release the whole league’s private texts please and see what everyone else thinks is funny to joke about 

Yeah - much like the tunsil draft day photo... timing for someone doing this was not great.  Very clearly meant to tarnish his reputation - must've been a bad breakup or something.

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

he was also like 15.  I was talking about this to my buddy the other day, we didn't have twitter then - but imagine some of the crap we said when we played counterstrike.... 

This is a great point.   I want the audio logs from xbox live and the playstation network for every single NFL player.  If there's any racism or misogyny, transphobia, or any other kind of bigotry, they must immediately be cut from the NFL, and banished from society

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I'll admit I've had personal text conversations where I've made very off-color jokes to my friends. It's not right that this was leaked and I don't take it as a statement on who Fromm is as a person. I'm sure everyone here has said something in private that would destroy their career if it was made public.

Yes, most of us probably have said something in the past that we would regret today and I also suspect that most of us forgot all about it too.  Most people grow and evolve.  I am 61 and not the exact same person I was when I was 16, or 22, or 35, or even 50. 

We need to teach our young people that Twitter/ emails/ texting/ cell phones leave a stain.  They leave a trail that can come back to haunt.  

This thing we are talking about here, I am not sure it is real, or when it happened, or any other context written before it.  This stuff just shows up and BAMM.   I recall josh Allen was accused of racist remarks when he was a teenager and he had to address it. 

It sounds like a young person saying stupid things.  That is all I can make out of it. 

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 2