Jake Fromm: Controversial comments

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I will ask you yet again:  do you think he no longer holds the views he put forth in his texts?  If not, there is no value in apology or forgiveness because there is no real contrition.

You can only be truly contrite if you no longer believe the things that you are apologizing for.  I don't see a reason Fromm has changed his true thoughts--he is apologizing because he got caught, and no other reason.

Asked and answered previously. 

5 minutes ago, Beast said:

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at. I think our wires may be crossed here.

What I was getting at is I don't believe a 21 year old should be cut from a team for a text message he sent when he was 20....even if he did use the N word. Unless it was in a violent manner like "I hate N" or something worse.

It's a word. A distasteful word that should not be used but these "gotcha" moments are getting out of hand.

Sorry I misunderstood you.

I understand and agree that a kid should be given a second chance for lots of things . Kids make mistakes

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, ScottLaw said:

You don't think there were any teammates that didn't want Riley Cooper on the team? 

I bet black players on the team really don't care if he's there or not.    Some are sounding off because the time is right.  But they probably assume he's just another in the long line of crackers they have played with from high school to college to the NFL.  It's part of the game.

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's the one we know about.  He doesn't have to act out on his beliefs for them to be reprehensible.

That's probably it.  More would have come out by now.  Same for any former black, latino, brown or Asian people (you know, "non-whites") claiming he said or did racist things to them.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I bet black players on the team really don't care if he's there or not.    Some are sounding off because the time is right.  But they probably assume he's just another in the long line of crackers they have played with from high school to college to the NFL.  It's part of the game.

LOL!  And that's not racism?  Oh WEO...

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To be fair, no one involved with the NFL or on an NFL team went on a witch hunt.  Someone who knew the guy put it out there for (??) whatever motivation.

I truthfully am not sure that "black lives matter" is much more than a slogan and a hashtag.  There's a loose network.   Wiki says "The phrase "Black Lives Matter" can refer to a Twitter hashtag, a slogan, a social movement, or a loose confederation of groups advocating for racial justice. As a movement, Black Lives Matter is decentralized, and leaders have emphasized the importance of local organizing over national leadership.[30] Activist DeRay McKesson has commented that the movement "encompasses all who publicly declare that black lives matter and devote their time and energy accordingly."[31]

The emphasis on local organizing over national leadership would align with your perception of "rudderless ship" - a decentralized network will seem that way.

I don't see the "joke" or the "hate filled" thing.  A joke is something one laughs at.  I can't personally laugh at people who are protesting unjust death at the hands of police. 

To me BLM has digressed into a strange mix that is actually exploiting the black community more than helping. Politicians use it elevate their brand, tons of white people are using it as a photo op, anti America groups have hijacked it, media profits on it, and many crimes against citizens have been committed under it's cover. 

I don't think "defunding the police" is reasonable platform for a movement. Nevermind the fact that it does nothing to address the real problems in education, housing, crime, and healthcare. All of which are literally destroying generations of people.

BLM is also very very divisive. It offers zero open dialogue amongst outsiders. I personally believe that racism played a big part of putting black communities where they are. I also believe that systematic racism is over and that it would never be tolerated again. You can certainly make a case for income disparities but that is another story. Highlighting individual racist actions are fine but you don't burn down cities for that. The witch hunts against whites is real. People are being called out left and right over nonsense. Look at what Ellen DeGeneres is getting crushed for. Hateful nonsense

The part everyone is scared to admit is that black communities are not holding each other accountable. The truth is, they are the only ones who can lift themselves up. Too many leaders want to attack whites and nit pick what they say or do. LeBron James has single handedly made countless absurd remarks that are just dishonest.

I am willing to be a part of a solution but right now I am not allowed to have an opinion, need to repent, check my white privilege, and am most likely a racist. When that kind crap ends, let me know and I'm in.

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

That's probably it.  More would have come out by now.  Same for any former black, latino, brown or Asian people (you know, "non-whites") claiming he said or did racist things to them.

LOL!  And that's not racism?  Oh WEO...

no.  I'm not a cracker.  Redneck, cracker, hillbilly----all one.  Subspecies of caucasian.

Did I offend the crackers?!  Oh,  "I'm very sorry".   LOL

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It warms my heart to know that whether it's a debate on fumble rates, or a debate on race relations @Mr. WEO and @Doc will just never ever agree.

Truly the capacity for these two to disagree is boundless. It's an immutable force of nature, like the wind or a rising tide.

The cat does not need to agree with his ball of string....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It warms my heart to know that whether it's a debate on fumble rates, or a debate on race relations @Mr. WEO and @Doc will just never ever agree.

Truly the capacity for these two to disagree is boundless. It's an immutable force of nature, like the wind or a rising tide.

He's an easy mark.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I will ask you yet again:  do you think he no longer holds the views he put forth in his texts?  If not, there is no value in apology or forgiveness because there is no real contrition.

You can only be truly contrite if you no longer believe the things that you are apologizing for.  I don't see a reason Fromm has changed his true thoughts--he is apologizing because he got caught, and no other reason.

What views do you think Fromm put forth in his texts?

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What views do you think Fromm put forth in his texts?

Gun silencers should be priced so at the very least,  non-whites should not be able to own them.  

It's not what I think he said.....

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Hey, his last post to me proves my point.  He's crying about racism...and these uses a racist term.  Can it get any easier?

LOL--Doc has just invented a protected class:  "crackers"!  #CLM!!!!!

You are the gift that keeps on giving!

when do we stop placing color on everything? maybe never.  police brutality is wrong. white violence against black is wrong.  black against white is wrong. white on white is wrong, black on black violence is wrong. 

• Like (+1) 6

10 minutes ago, zow2 said:

when do we stop placing color on everything? maybe never.  police brutality is wrong. white violence against black is wrong.  black against white is wrong. white on white is wrong, black on black violence is wrong. 

We'll get there.  It really hasn't been THAT long since the civil rights movement. There are still people alive today who had to drink from a separate water fountain.

We've actually made amazing progress, but are still far from where we need to be.  Moments like right now in history are catalysts for big steps forward, imo.  This is actually kind of an amazing time to be alive.

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 2