Jake Fromm: Controversial comments

27 minutes ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

Your post is ignorant and biased at best. Shannon does a great job speaking on racial topics. Skip Bayless agrees with 99% of it. 

If you have never experienced racism how can you understand what black people go through.

I was told multiple times every year(by coaches and players who were black) of my college career that I played corner really well for being white. I had to fight through racial discrimination just to play a game that I was FAR better than those in front of me. I have seen racial discrimination first hand, but because I’m white, it probably doesn’t count in your book. 

My teammate and friend was pissed when a fellow student in our class said he speaks well. I asked him if that was any different than him saying I can play corner well because I’m white... he said it was different because there are different rules and things you can say. He was my friend, and I gave him crap about that whenever I could. But the bias is still there

Edited by WorstTEever81

41 minutes ago, WorstTEever81 said:

I was told multiple times every year(by coaches and players who were black) of my college career that I played corner really well for being white. I had to fight through racial discrimination just to play a game that I was FAR better than those in front of me. I have seen racial discrimination first hand, but because I’m white, it probably doesn’t count in your book. 

My teammate and friend was pissed when a fellow student in our class said he speaks well. I asked him if that was any different than him saying I can play corner well because I’m white... he said it was different because there are different rules and things you can say. He was my friend, and I gave him crap about that whenever I could. But the bias is still there

A guy I consider to be a very good friend corrected me in a group text once. We were watching the same tennis match, and in the interview that followed I mentioned that “she is well spoken”. He told me some people would call that a racist comment. It was a compliment! One I would say about a white person who is also well spoken. Part of our problem is education. I gave in and said “OK, now I know, but I still don’t get it.”  I would not be offended if someone told me our son was well spoken, I’d say “thank you”. 

54 minutes ago, Augie said:

A guy I consider to be a very good friend corrected me in a group text once. We were watching the same tennis match, and in the interview that followed I mentioned that “she is well spoken”. He told me some people would call that a racist comment. It was a compliment! One I would say about a white person who is also well spoken. Part of our problem is education. I gave in and said “OK, now I know, but I still don’t get it.”  I would not be offended if someone told me our son was well spoken, I’d say “thank you”. 

Even though you're well meaning, that phrase was used in the past as, "You're so well spoken for a black man (or woman)."

Like, the shock and awe that a person of color isn't using ebonics and choosing to enunciate.  

It's real.  Blame racists for ruining, what could have been, a simple compliment.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Things have NOT changed. You cant have an environment where people are not allowed to apologize and to seek forgiveness.

I have an issue with this. Just because you seek forgiveness does not mean it has to be granted,  or should it be granted. Part of being sorry is being sorry for as long as you give a s——— about receiving forgiveness from the people you hurt. Part of being truly sorry is fully owning the consequences of your actions. That goes for being an alcoholic, screwing up at work, beating your wife, or saying something racist.

If Fromm is truly sorry he will have zero issue with the locker room not forgiving him. It’s the people on this board that are demanding forgiveness, because they aren’t really sorry for anything he said. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Mango said:

I have an issue with this. Just because you seek forgiveness does not mean it has to be granted,  or should it be granted. Part of being sorry is being sorry for as long as you give a s——— about receiving forgiveness from the people you hurt. Part of being truly sorry is fully owning the consequences of your actions. That goes for being an alcoholic, screwing up at work, beating your wife, or saying something racist.

If Fromm is truly sorry he will have zero issue with the locker room not forgiving him. It’s the people on this board that are demanding forgiveness, because they aren’t really sorry for anything he said. 

This right here is why I say never apologize for making a joke. He should have come out and said that it was a joke, as evidenced by the haha and left it at that. It would have been more genuine and he's just as likely to be canceled regardless. You'll never satisfy anyone who's determined to be aggrieved. ?‍♂️

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LB3 said:

This right here is why I say never apologize for making a joke. He should have come out and said that it was a joke, as evidenced by the haha and left it at that. It would have been more genuine and he's just as likely to be canceled regardless. You'll never satisfy anyone who's determined to be aggrieved. ?‍♂️

Wooosh. That went right over your head. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LB3 said:

Absolutely. As I said earlier, quoting Mick Jagger, "If you can't take a joke, it's just too f'n bad."  Now I want to play Some Girls.

• Haha (+1) 1

Jokes are not allowed in this day and age. It's illegal, immoral and unethical. No, lol's, no rotfl,s, no lamo's, and certainly no haha's which are the worst of all. Fromm, you are guilty as charged. Only serious people who are choir boys are entitled to be in the nfl. Maybe you will learn to keep your hahas to yourself next time.

3 hours ago, Mango said:

Why should anyone on this board be sorry for what he said?

I don't really care what he said because it was a dumb joke. We aren't supposed to think twice when men in the NFL get suspended for just a few games for beating women, drunk driving, using drugs, etc., but if a guy makes a tame joke about suppressors and white elitists we are supposed to be up in arms?

Sorry, but I don't give a crap. I'd much rather see Ben Roethlisburger go to jail for rape, Tyreek Hill for beating his girlfriend, and Ray Lewis for practically murdering someone. And yes, also cops to pay for their crimes of killing unarmed African Americans.

Fromm's stupid text is meaningless. There are REAL things to be fighting for in America and Fromm's text should be at the very, very bottom of anyone's list.

6 hours ago, WorstTEever81 said:

Those were racist comments made about you. So that counts as a small sample. But you weren't discriminated against in that instance. Now if you weren't allowed to even compete at or play cornerback because your white would be discrimination. 

The well spoken comment is more opinionated. That seems like something black people up north would take offense with more than blacks from the south. I personally would never say anyone is well spoken as i expect that of anyone that speaks. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mango said:

All Fromm can do is offer his contrition and ask for forgiveness. Being forgiven is not up to him. Will you be upset if he is forgiven by those who are in a position to do that? 

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

All Fromm can do is offer his contrition and ask for forgiveness. Being forgiven is not up to him. Will you be upset if he is forgiven by those who are in a position to do that? 

No, of course I wouldn’t be upset if a guy forgives Fromm. I’m also not going to hold it against any player that wants out of that locker room. Both are understandable to me.

What isn’t understandable to me is the posts on this board (maybe not you) that imply that he apologized, POC shouldn’t be upset, and they should just move on. Which is what that post was responding to. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, WorstTEever81 said:

Both skip and Shannon are clueless, political hacks. I’m glad that they have you fooled though. They need the ratings

Being born and raised in the south. I've witnessed the type racism that Shannon speaks on. If you think that Shannon is clueless about the racism he speaks on. Then that would best describe your opinion on that. 

I will admit when i moved further up north the racism was nowhere near as blatant. It would usually take black people to point it out to me. So that may be why you couldn't understand where Shannon is coming from. But that is blissful ignorance. 

I for one am glad that this has reached a boiling point. America should be more outraged about how George Floyd died than people kneeling for the national anthem imo.

Edited by ChattanoogaBills
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2