Jake Fromm: Controversial comments

11 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

I can’t agree. I’m not going to go around and play thought police with people. These are adults we are talking about. If I see blatant discrimination going on, you bet I will intervene and speak up. Even though I detest racism, people are adults and deserve autonomy. In my profession, I’m trained to be overly tolerant and to avoid being judgmental at all costs. If they want to be ignorant, then they can be ignorant by themselves. At some point, they will be alone.  

It’s not a question of being judgmental. It’s a question of zero tolerance for destructive behavior. Period. Adults who practice racism don’t deserve autonomy, they deserve to be exposed and called on it. Anything less is tantamount to condoning the behavior. Perhaps you’re right that at some point they will be alone. When? How long will that take? How many will be hurt in the meantime? 

And thought police aren’t necessary. They make themselves known by words and actions. If they kept these thoughts to themselves, perhaps I’d feel differently. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

Cool.  Just don’t ever criticize an owner for caring more about maximizing profit than winning...or for moving a team to a bigger city that will build him a stadium.

Oh I will criticize them for doing so. Just because I disagree doesn't mean that they can't or won't. I have the right to stop watching too. No one is forcing me to watch football.

10 minutes ago, Pasaluki said:

Maybe thats good advice for life.

Football isn't about seeking forgiveness. 

I care about the team more than a backup qb.

The ability to forgive your teammates is essential in any locker room. That’s obvious. 

3 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

Shocking that the White QB from the U of Georgia is a Gun loving elitist.  Hopefully he is given a chance before it all blows up in his face.  

He’s not an “elitist”.  He’s a racist.  He feels only white people—any white people (even rednecks such as himself)—should be allowed to buy silencers.  And he reasons the best way to keep them out of the hands of blacks is to make them “very expensive” because...all black people are POOR!

29 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Greater wisdom is found in learning from your mistakes, seeking forgiveness, and being forgiven.

That wasn't a "mistake"...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He’s not an “elitist”.  He’s a racist.  He feels only white people—any white people (even rednecks such as himself)—should be allowed to buy silencers.  And he reasons the best way to keep them out of the hands of blacks is to make them “very expensive” because...all black people are POOR!

That wasn't a "mistake"...

I will take the word of guys who played with him at UGA and High School.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

5 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I will take the word of guys who played with him at UGA and High School.

Why would their words matter when you can take the word of people on the internet?

• Haha (+1) 2

People are failing to understand it's not just so easy for many people to look at this and take it as a joke. The fact that racist comments are joke material in private for white people is part of what really pisses off racial minorities. 

It could be 100% in jest, but that is part of what really angers those that take this stuff seriously. What you say in private, joking or not, is more of a reflection of who you are than the image you put out there publicly. What you say & do when people aren't around to witness it is closer to reality than a public persona. 

And to teammates, many of which are black, Fromm isn't just a random name & face we see online or on TV. He's someone they have to interact with & be around in person. Do you think they'll believe that's the ONLY time he's ever casually made racist jokes in private? Even if he's not racist, that won't sit well with a lot of them. You or I may think it'll be easy for them to just forgive him & move on, but these are grown men who have had their own battles in life, and to hear some young man who now works with you can casually say these remarks, it might not be so easy.

These guys are rich, don't have any obligation to put up with anyone's s*** and have their own personal social & political beliefs that deeply matter them. If the George Floyd stuff resonated with them on any personal level, they may be even more sensitive to this kind of crap, and see no reason why they should just forgive him and move on. When I was 18, younger than Fromm was when he texted this stuff, I damn well knew that this stuff was toxic. 

And yes, I've said stuff in private that would ruin my career if it came out. Doesn't mean it was ok, or that because I said in jest everyone should just accept me & forgive me. You make those comments, you live with the consequences. When female celebrities get their phone hacked, people say "if you don't want nude leaks to come out, don't take nude pics! I don't feel sorry for them at all!" Unlike those people who had their accounts hacked to leak private pictures, Fromm willingly sent those messages to someone. Considering the person was willing to share them to the public, it's likely he wasn't even that close with them...in which case, he felt comfortable enough to casually say racist things to someone he hadn't even established a serious relationship with.

That leads to the thought, if he can casually make remarks like that to people who aren't even in his close circle, what does he say to those he is close with? I'm not even judging him. I'm simply trying to paint a picture as to why people, especially those in the black community and players who will have to play with him, will have much different views than us bystanders. Black people who have had to experience genuine racism, often casually or passively, probably have no tolerance for this type of stuff. 

That doesn't mean everyone feels that way. Some may forgive him. Just presenting why it's not as simple as "He's just a kid (he's not), it was in private (which doesn't mean it's ok)! We've all said dumb things (so if others have done bad things we should just disregard all future bad things?)! This woman just wants her 10 mins of fame! (if Fromm is just a kid, then wouldn't she just be a "girl" or "kid" too?)" 

TL;DR - Just because WE can overlook or excuse these things, doesn't mean those in the black community, teammates, or others can justify or forgive it.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Billl said:

Make no mistake.  HE ruined his career.

Must be nice to be so perfect.  

You should probably set an example and turn over all your texts for the past 10 years to your employer for review. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

Oh I will criticize them for doing so. Just because I disagree doesn't mean that they can't or won't. I have the right to stop watching too. No one is forcing me to watch football.

That poster isn’t a real Bills fan man. Every time he can he goes against Buffalo or stirs the pot. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, SCBills said:

Must be nice to be so perfect.  

You should probably set an example and turn over all your texts for the past 10 years to your employer to review. 

If his employer is paying $400k annual salary he's probably going to be picky about employee conduct

9 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

People are failing to understand it's not just so easy for many people to look at this and take it as a joke. The fact that racist comments are joke material in private for white people is part of what really pisses off racial minorities. 

It could be 100% in jest, but that is part of what really angers those that take this stuff seriously. What you say in private, joking or not, is more of a reflection of who you are than the image you put out there publicly. What you say & do when people aren't around to witness it is closer to reality than a public persona. 

And to teammates, many of which are black, Fromm isn't just a random name & face we see online or on TV. He's someone they have to interact with & be around in person. Do you think they'll believe that's the ONLY time he's ever casually made racist jokes in private? Even if he's not racist, that won't sit well with a lot of them. You or I may think it'll be easy for them to just forgive him & move on, but these are grown men who have had their own battles in life, and to hear some young man who now works with you can casually say these remarks, it might not be so easy.

These guys are rich, don't have any obligation to put up with anyone's s*** and have their own personal social & political beliefs that deeply matter them. If the George Floyd stuff resonated with them on any personal level, they may be even more sensitive to this kind of crap, and see no reason why they should just forgive him and move on. When I was 18, younger than Fromm was when he texted this stuff, I damn well knew that this stuff was toxic. 

And yes, I've said stuff in private that would ruin my career if it came out. Doesn't mean it was ok, or that because I said in jest everyone should just accept me & forgive me. You make those comments, you live with the consequences. When female celebrities get their phone hacked, people say "if you don't want nude leaks to come out, don't take nude pics! I don't feel sorry for them at all!" Unlike those people who had their accounts hacked to leak private pictures, Fromm willingly sent those messages to someone. Considering the person was willing to share them to the public, it's likely he wasn't even that close with them...in which case, he felt comfortable enough to casually say racist things to someone he hadn't even established a serious relationship with.

That leads to the thought, if he can casually make remarks like that to people who aren't even in his close circle, what does he say to those he is close with? I'm not even judging him. I'm simply trying to paint a picture as to why people, especially those in the black community and players who will have to play with him, will have much different views than us bystanders. Black people who have had to experience genuine racism, often casually or passively, probably have no tolerance for this type of stuff. 

That doesn't mean everyone feels that way. Some may forgive him. Just presenting why it's not as simple as "He's just a kid (he's not), it was in private (which doesn't mean it's ok)! We've all said dumb things (so if others have done bad things we should just disregard all future bad things?)! This woman just wants her 10 mins of fame! (if Fromm is just a kid, then wouldn't she just be a "girl" or "kid" too?)" 

TL;DR - Just because WE can overlook or excuse these things, doesn't mean those in the black community, teammates, or others can justify or forgive it.

minorities of all races also make racist jokes about white people and other people in private

Don't just make it out to be a white person thing

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

That poster isn’t a real Bills fan man. Every time he can he goes against Buffalo or stirs the pot. 

He can be good for a cheap laugh though, on him of course.

• Haha (+1) 1