Jake Fromm: Controversial comments

9 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

I was friends with mostly minorities in the military...they accepted me and I accepted them. We would joke with each other about all kinds of "inappropriate" things, brought on by them first mind you... I didn't start joking back until they said off-color jokes. We loved each other and would die for each other! We had each other's backs and had respect for each other started by this kind of bonding. 

Would you call them racist for off-color comments they made? No, they were joking and you needed the context. Would you call me racist for off-color comments I would rib them with? Absolutely!

When I show up at the park, and I’m the only white guy there, they would sometimes chuckle, way back when. There are blacks, sometimes a few Latinos and my Indian buddy. They’ll apologize and explain I’m the lightest thing they’ve seen all day. I just laugh. It’s funny if you know the context, and it’s true. I don’t turn it around on them because it makes me uncomfortable. I don’t know who in the crowd might be offended by the white guy who was trying to be funny in return. It’s a big crowd usually.  It’s not worth it to me there, I wouldn’t want to mess with a good thing. It is something I enjoy too much to possibly offend someone. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NoSaint said:

he deserves some blowback and serious conversations. How he handles those would be a major test of whether he stays.

How do those conversation go? Should it take place in a smoke filled interrogation room? Who's the judge and jury?

49 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

If it is true, just cut him.  That's the only statement that can be made that these kinds of views - even if said jokingly in social media, are simply unacceptable.  It's the only way to move forward and keep this team together.  Also, if it's true, ***** job by Bills in vetting the guy - should have understood by now that social media needs to be scanned meticulously prior to drafting a guy.  I sure hope is fake.  Dividing the team cannot happen and he must go if this is accurate - it's that simple.

It wasn't social media. It was a convo via text message

40 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Yeah Bills should have read every private text he ever sent. ? 

it wasnt social media. It was a private text. You’re being s little ridiculous here. 

Ok, my bad - missed the "private" vs. 'public' aspect, so I take back the part of my statement about the poor vetting by Bills.

But, this changes nothing - cat is out of the bag now - can't undo this no how, no way, so I stand by the part of my statement that says he must be cut.

18 minutes ago, Billl said:

If you made racist jokes against blacks in a conversation between yourself and another white person, yes.  Joking around about race with minorities doesn’t give you free license to say racist things for life.

I dont joke behind minorities backs about them... if I have something to say I say it to their face because I'm not a punk @$$ *****. I always have gotten respect that way and I have always gotten people who might not otherwise understand to understand that words aren't $#!+, that actions are what counts!

I didnt take it as some free shot to say "racist" things about minorities for life...that's the point, they understood it wasn't bad intentioned, quite the opposite...

2 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

I dont joke behind minorities backs about them... if I have something to say I say it to their face because I'm not a punk @$$ *****. I always have gotten respect that way and I have always gotten people who might not otherwise understand to understand that words aren't $#!+, that actions are what counts!

I didnt take it as some free shot to say "racist" things about minorities for life...that's the point, they understood it wasn't bad intentioned, quite the opposite...

Then we agree about Fromm.  He doesn't get to say racist things about blacks in white only audiences.

Edited by Billl

Just now, Shooter McGavin said:

Worked for Josh. Read Richie Incognito’s old texts. He still plays in the league just fine. 

Josh quoted song lyrics and Modern Family when he was a teenager. Whatever this is happened last year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

How would I know? Do you personally know them? Just do what Josh did. Apologize and move forward. 

Normally I would say that would work, but in today’s climate, they may have to make an example out of him. We have worked too hard to build a good team chemistry and I fear they may release him to show that they take the players concerns seriously. 

I personally hope he gets a second chance.  

1 hour ago, Clyde Smith said:

Tired of these pop sh!t and apologize dudes. I don't care if he's a Bill, f*** him too.

I see your point with regard to twitter, it's a valid point that we don't have the context of the whole convo and this is a text message, not public. 

It isn't a good look but I can't tell if it's sarcastic or joking or what.  It seems like from the next page of the convo he was laughing at the idea he would be "an elite white."

I'm with the guys pointing out that maybe if all of us got judged and thrown out on the basis of anything our 20 year old asses shot off in a private convo joking around with friends, the room could be kind of *crickets*.  I think there would be some things beyond the line, but this doesn't seem like one of them.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, K-9 said:

If that happens, I’ll be interested to see if all those who defend the rights of corporations to dictate employee behaviors as we’ve seen in the Kaepernick threads are the ones arguing that the Bills were wrong to cut Fromm for simply expressing his view. 

I think you'll see far more people defending Kap's view say he should be fired in more delicious irony.

41 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

I was friends with mostly minorities in the military...they accepted me and I accepted them. We would joke with each other about all kinds of "inappropriate" things, brought on by them first mind you... I didn't start joking back until they said off-color jokes. We loved each other and would die for each other! We had each other's backs and had respect for each other started by this kind of bonding. 

Would you call them racist for off-color comments they made? No, they were joking and you needed the context. Would you call me racist for off-color comments I would rib them with? Absolutely!

It’s great that you had those relationships and that you’d give your life for your brothers regardless of race, creed, etc. There is nothing more honorable imo. 

But as I said earlier today, it’s not enough to simply not be a racist. Real change will only happen when we become “anti-racists” and that means zero tolerance when we hear it or witness it. That might mean telling friends to STFU, asking bigoted relatives to leave on Thanksgiving, etc.

Not being racist is too comfortable and convenient for us. When we don’t actively stand up when we see and hear it, we are complicit in the exercise of it. 

• Like (+1) 6

Just now, Billl said:

How is being consistently anti racism ironic?

I guess you missed the point. Let me make it more clear. Kaep supporters protest his non-hiring for his actions to be wrong, that a business cannot hire or fire people as they see fit. Strangely they will rain fire on Fromm if this is real and want him fired, not for his play, but for his statements.

In other words a business can fire people for what they see as a bad investment all of a sudden, but not in the case of Kaep. Yes ironic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BigBillsFan said:

I guess you missed the point. Let me make it more clear. Kaep supporters protest his non-hiring for his actions to be wrong, that a business cannot hire or fire people as they see fit. Strangely they will rain fire on Fromm if this is real and want him fired, not for his play, but for his statements.

In other words a business can fire people for what they see as a bad investment all of a sudden, but not in the case of Kaep. Yes ironic.

Saying it's okay to fire people for making racist statements but not for opposing racism is a hot take in your world.  

6 minutes ago, Billl said:

How is being consistently anti racism ironic?

The only thing I find ironic regarding Kaep is his inability to comprehend the actual numbers versus his claims that “bodies are in the streets”. Exaggerating and sensationalizing racism is racist behavior. 

• Like (+1) 1