Jake Fromm: Controversial comments

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

If he said it, it's a problem, even if he was joking. 

If he was saying that fully sarcastically as an example of the outome of systemic racismand income inequality that shouldn't be a problem (and I don't believe it would be a problem). Issue is, it's so easy to not get that context in a text...this is a situation where you would need to see other texts and comments, especially because that is pretty right on in terms of satire that aligns with what truly needs to change systemically.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It is part of a thread, and Fromm allegedly says that guns are good (not a problem), that he should be allowed to get suppressors (silencers), and that they should make suppressors expensive enough so that only elite white people could get them. The response is basically "Wtf, you think you're elite? Look at your profile picture."

If legit - and I am not saying it is - it's super-problematic for the obvious reasons, but also because Fromm has painted himself as Bible-quoting devout Christian whose hobby is praying. (I'm not making the last part up). https://sportsspectrum.com/sport/football/2019/08/30/georgia-qb-jake-fromm-follows-god-embraces-pressure-as-he-chases-elusive-title/

It sounds like it was a joke.

oh no, he said guns are good! Lock him up!

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It sounds like it was a joke.

oh no, he said guns are good! Lock him up!

The part about making the silencers expensive so only rich whites could afford them is what will bring him down, if this conversation is actually true.

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

yeah it'd look stupid even as a joke though I wonder what the rest of the conversation looks like.

Again, difference in a joke vs satire. Agree, not a tasteful joke...if it is satire used as a metaphor to show general things through a single example taken to an extreme...and proving a point very clearly that charging so much for supressors that essentially only elite white people are able to get them, and that is largely what is happening with say a college education, where the vaaaast majority of people graduate with student debt...it's a pretty solid satirical sarcastic comment...that said, I have no idea if that's what he was doing.

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

When asked "Just how racist is he, they hung up." no *****.

A simple "That is not a real conversation and was not Jake Fromm" could have gone a long way. But sure, hanging up works to.