The Drew Brees debate

10 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The pack mentality of liberals won’t be allowed to trample our genuine respect. Or that we find the kneeling disrespectful, regardless of its “ stated purpose” . It has no place during that specially reserved moment. 

See, this is a manifestation of that trouble to cope. No one's trampling you. That's your illusion.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

See, this is a manifestation of that trouble to cope. No one's trampling you. That's your illusion.

I dont feel trampled by a kneeler. I will have an opinion about it though. They may feel trampled or oppressed, but that is their illusion. Can’t play along with a false narrative. We see the results of that today. 

1 hour ago, Wacka said:

Singers- Shut up and sing

Actors- Shut up and act

Athletes- Shut up and play.

Wacka-Shut Up and be Dumb

52 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Mad respect to Drew. It takes a huge sack o' nuts to admit you were wrong.

EZqyTkqXsAAREux?format=png&name=360x360

EZqyTr4XgAE4Vaj?format=png&name=small

And a really good coach and PR firm that said " you getting crushed, we crafting a statement"

39 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I fully supported Drew Brees statement, and his opinion.

Good, then you fully support Kap and his opinion, glad we are  on the same side on this one!

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I've always found the false gratitude to be more disrespectful.

After hearing "thank you for your service" so many times, you recognize who really means it.

People who find the kneeling disrespectful are just having trouble coping with the differences, IMO. Its a symptom of the pack mentality.

it sure is

I am guessing this means you have served? I have always felt the gratutious " thank you for your service" was kinda weak, am I to take you agree with that? When i was traveling a ton, always gave up my first  classseat to service members in uniform, brought them into the airport club with me as "guest" etc. My one friend who i got to know throgh my nephews went active duty this year, as a thank you paid for his ticket and airbnb to the Nashsville game last year.

Nother funny story was at the Cinci away game a few years back, me and the guy next to me, big Bengal  fan were having good natured back and forth in the driving rain...tons of trash talk but tons of fun..comes out he served. When i came back from beer stand with two beers for him, he was like WTF?.. I said simply "respect for your service, the Bengals still suck.cheers!" He was dumbfounded...we had a great time rest of the game as well! He left a fan of Bills Mafia I can tell ya that!

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Wacka-Shut Up and be Dumb

And a really good coach and PR firm that said " you getting crushed, we crafting a statement"

Good, then you fully support Kap and his opinion, glad we are  on the same side on this one!

I am guessing this means you have served? I have always felt the gratutious " thank you for your service" was kinda weak, am I to take you agree with that? When i was traveling a ton, always gave up my first  classseat to service members in uniform, brought them into the airport club with me as "guest" etc. My one friend who i got to know throgh my nephews went active duty this year, as a thank you paid for his ticket and airbnb to the Nashsville game last year.

Nother funny story was at the Cinci away game a few years back, me and the guy next to me, big Bengal  fan were having good natured back and forth in the driving rain...tons of trash talk but tons of fun..comes out he served. When i came back from beer stand with two beers for him, he was like WTF?.. I said simply "respect for your service, the Bengals still suck.cheers!" He was dumbfounded...we had a great time rest of the game as well! He left a fan of Bills Mafia I can tell ya that!

Nope , don’t agree with you or Kap at all. Kap and others have the right to be disrespectful, but I don’t agree with their opinion. Brees has bowed to the leftist pressure and I’ve lost a lot of respect for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Nope , don’t agree with you or Kap at all. Kap and others have the right to be disrespectful, but I don’t agree with their opinion. Brees has bowed to the leftist pressure and I’ve lost a lot of respect for him. 

you are correct, i worded that wrong. 

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Yes. That's a great story!

2 hours ago, Dr. K said:

The recent Drew Brees/national anthem thread got locked before I could post this, and since I went to the trouble to write it, I thought I would post it here. 

I think the U.S. is a great country and is exceptional in many ways. The flag, however, has nothing to do with the military or with soldiers or with wars or armies. It is a symbol of the nation as a whole. In the beginning the framers of the Constitution did not even want a standing army because they though having thousands of soldiers in peacetime would present a threat to the government and freedom (as it's been proven in many countries, where the army is often involved in coups and political infighting).

It's only been since Vietnam that we have had these huge displays of flags and soldiers at sporting events in the U.S., to the point where many people have come to automatically associate the flag with the military, and to think that waving the flag at every possible opportunity is the only way you show your patriotism. I think it's a sign of our uneasiness about patriotism that we have come to insist on all of these public displays, and to treat the flag as if it were a holy object. If a country is secure in the love of its people, if it is a foregone conclusion that it stands for equality and justice for all, then it does not need to shout about the flag at every public opportunity.

To make an analogy to faith in God, Jesus said, (Matthew 6:5), "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocritesare: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and. in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward."

In other words, when your faith is strong, and you are confident in the rightness of your belief, you do not need to go around in public making a big deal of how much you believe. To do is ostentatious, can even bespeak a kind of paranoia, and become a kind of bullying. For example, the largest and most organized displays of public patriotism I can think of in the 20th century took place in Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union.

When somebody silently kneels during the national anthem, or otherwise uses the flag in protest, they are not dishonoring the nation, they are hoping to hold the nation to account for injustices done under that flag. We may not agree with them, but to get bent out of shape about it is a sign of insecurity or desire to dominate. 

While I agree with much of what you wrote, the last paragraph ..excluding its last sentence....bugs me a bit.  

The flag is a symbol of the country, its origins and its ideals.  If one disagrees with the ideas then they should kneel.  I believe that if they are kneeling because the country hasn't fully lived up to its ideals then every person would need to kneel for the anthem/flag of every country all the time.  Are there injustices in this country?  Yes.  Should we do our best to eliminate all of them?  Yes.  Is it fair of any of us to have the EXPECTATION that anything short of that means the ideals themselves are wrong?  

Let's be clear.  Colin Kaepernick does not believe in the ideals upon which the US was founded.  That is his right.  I'm fine with him kneeling for the flag.  His premise, the incident in Ferguson, has been shown to be misplaced.  His tactics like pig socks and Che tshirts were purposely provocative.  That is also his right.  What bugs me is that he hid behind Feguson and didn't fully share his true beliefs.  He just hinted at it.  For that he has been hailed by some as a hero but personally I view him as a puppy being led around by his commie girlfriend.

Are there problems in this country?  Yes.  Is police violence against blacks one of them?  I say yes.  Why?  Because perception is reality.  We can spin statistics all day long about percentages of this and that arguing either side.  The bottom line is that it is clear that many blacks and non blacks believe it to be true.  If you owned a company and your product worked great but sold poorly because people perceived, rightly or wrongly, that it didn't work at all for left handed people and that was unfair, whose job is it to show that misconception wrong?  They're your customers so it is your job.  

The government owes it to their customers....us.....to fix perceived problems whether that is explaining why perceptions are incorrect or fixing actual problems.  This goes for any problem....systemic violence by police.....people on the right fearing government overreach into our lives.....justification for wars.....anything.  We're the customer.

As for Brees, he believes in the ideals of the country so he stands for the flag and anthem.  Should he apologize for his beliefs?  I don't think so, nor should Kaepernick.  Should he clarify that while he believes in the ideals he understands that there will always be opportunities to improve and that standing for the anthem doesn't mean he supports what happened to George Lloyd?  I think so, but that is his choice.

25 minutes ago, ALF said:

Police all over the country are taking a knee in front of the protesters . I would think that gives NFL players the go ahead to do the same.

They’ve always had the go ahead. Doesn’t mean everyone has to like it. Comes with the territory. What the lefties want is always for everyone to agree with them . If you do not, then you are a given a slanderous label. A very old trick and very lame. 

1 minute ago, westside2 said:

What did he say that was so wrong?

He dared to disagree with leftist gospel. 

11 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I dont feel trampled by a kneeler. I will have an opinion about it though. They may feel trampled or oppressed, but that is their illusion. Can’t play along with a false narrative. We see the results of that today. 

You literally said they're trampling your genuine respect. If you're walking that back, so be it.

2 hours ago, westside2 said:

What did he say that was so wrong?

That racist actual literal super mecha-Nazi dared to say that he does not agree with people disrespecting the flag by kneeling during the anthem. He went on to state why, basically because he's thinking about how both of his grandfather's served in WWII to protect America.

Not that he opposed them kneeling, but that he just didn't agree with the message being sent.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

Drew Brees is allowed to have opinions that people disagree with. Opinions that the mob disagrees with shouldn’t be assaulted. Not one public figure yesterday even pretended to try to understand where Breesus came from. But that’s what they demand lol.

What's revolting here is the insistence that anyone in a position of any authority is required to 'make a statement' and then, if the statement is not deemed perfectly acceptable to the crowd, it's time to cast the person down in the pit of despair.  The internet torch and pitchfork crowd is now everywhere.

I noted this in another thread, but in my town they are trying to run the new mayor out of town because she said something like 'we have lots of priorities' at a council meeting when asked about protests.  This is what rich, white people can do to show their 'outrage' since they aren't about to join the Antifa riots.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

The pack mentality of liberals won’t be allowed to trample our genuine respect. Or that we find the kneeling disrespectful, regardless of its “ stated purpose” . It has no place during that specially reserved moment. 

Yes how dare they exercise their freedom to protest during our moment to honor those who died defending our freedoms...?

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yes how dare they exercise their freedom to protest during our moment to honor those who died defending our freedoms...?

They can do it.... but how dare they display outrage and our freedom to disagree. It’s all fine. 

30 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

What's revolting here is the insistence that anyone in a position of any authority is required to 'make a statement' and then, if the statement is not deemed perfectly acceptable to the crowd, it's time to cast the person down in the pit of despair.  The internet torch and pitchfork crowd is now everywhere.

I noted this in another thread, but in my town they are trying to run the new mayor out of town because she said something like 'we have lots of priorities' at a council meeting when asked about protests.  This is what rich, white people can do to show their 'outrage' since they aren't about to join the Antifa riots.

Yes, they must repent and declare their shame in being overly bourgeois. They must proclaim their sympathy with the proletariat. We’re seeing it now with moneyed celebrities. They are signing petitions to defund the Police protection we now have keeping us safe from looters, killers , and those that would lay waste to our families, property, and steal our possessions. Meanwhile, they will drive around in their Ferrari’s and Porsche’s , while their gated villages enjoy round the clock armed security. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

They can do it.... but how dare they display outrage and our freedom to disagree. It’s all fine. 

Sure everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion, but how is exercising your freedom to protest in a fairly respectful way(people kneel before coaches, Kings/Queens, and God) during the national anthem offensive?