The Drew Brees debate

The recent Drew Brees/national anthem thread got locked before I could post this, and since I went to the trouble to write it, I thought I would post it here. 

I think the U.S. is a great country and is exceptional in many ways. The flag, however, has nothing to do with the military or with soldiers or with wars or armies. It is a symbol of the nation as a whole. In the beginning the framers of the Constitution did not even want a standing army because they though having thousands of soldiers in peacetime would present a threat to the government and freedom (as it's been proven in many countries, where the army is often involved in coups and political infighting).

It's only been since Vietnam that we have had these huge displays of flags and soldiers at sporting events in the U.S., to the point where many people have come to automatically associate the flag with the military, and to think that waving the flag at every possible opportunity is the only way you show your patriotism. I think it's a sign of our uneasiness about patriotism that we have come to insist on all of these public displays, and to treat the flag as if it were a holy object. If a country is secure in the love of its people, if it is a foregone conclusion that it stands for equality and justice for all, then it does not need to shout about the flag at every public opportunity.

To make an analogy to faith in God, Jesus said, (Matthew 6:5), "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocritesare: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and. in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward."

In other words, when your faith is strong, and you are confident in the rightness of your belief, you do not need to go around in public making a big deal of how much you believe. To do is ostentatious, can even bespeak a kind of paranoia, and become a kind of bullying. For example, the largest and most organized displays of public patriotism I can think of in the 20th century took place in Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union.

When somebody silently kneels during the national anthem, or otherwise uses the flag in protest, they are not dishonoring the nation, they are hoping to hold the nation to account for injustices done under that flag. We may not agree with them, but to get bent out of shape about it is a sign of insecurity or desire to dominate. 

• Like (+1) 4

It's much easier to complain about disrespecting the flag than it is to talk about the issues that the players are kneeling about. 

Where is the outrage at the fans in line during the anthem buying beer and nachos? Where is the outrage at the fans in the bathroom during the anthem pissing and singing the shout song? There isn't any - because it's fake outrage.

Edited by Warren Zevon
  • Like (+1) 2

A piece of fabric with some stars & stripes on them, a raggedy book of some ancient texts, a bunch of stone statues.  Symbolism is so overrated.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

It's much easier to complain about disrespecting the flag than it is to talk about the issues that the players are kneeling about. 

Where is the outrage at the fans in line during the anthem buying beer and nachos? Where is the outrage at the fans in the bathroom during the anthem pissing and singing the shout song? There isn't any - because it's fake outrage.

We have won comrade. The American mind is drowning in GMO, sugar, and a host of drugs. Their reasoning is destroyed and their level of fear is high. The evil of the racist white man must be stopped. Stalin would be proud of you.

8 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

What are the issues the players are talking/kneeling about and why are they protesting on the job? 

18 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

The recent Drew Brees/national anthem thread got locked before I could post this, and since I went to the trouble to write it, I thought I would post it here. 

I think the U.S. is a great country and is exceptional in many ways. The flag, however, has nothing to do with the military or with soldiers or with wars or armies. It is a symbol of the nation as a whole. In the beginning the framers of the Constitution did not even want a standing army because they though having thousands of soldiers in peacetime would present a threat to the government and freedom (as it's been proven in many countries, where the army is often involved in coups and political infighting).

It's only been since Vietnam that we have had these huge displays of flags and soldiers at sporting events in the U.S., to the point where many people have come to automatically associate the flag with the military, and to think that waving the flag at every possible opportunity is the only way you show your patriotism. I think it's a sign of our uneasiness about patriotism that we have come to insist on all of these public displays, and to treat the flag as if it were a holy object. If a country is secure in the love of its people, if it is a foregone conclusion that it stands for equality and justice for all, then it does not need to shout about the flag at every public opportunity.

To make an analogy to faith in God, Jesus said, (Matthew 6:5), "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocritesare: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and. in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward."

In other words, when your faith is strong, and you are confident in the rightness of your belief, you do not need to go around in public making a big deal of how much you believe. To do is ostentatious, can even bespeak a kind of paranoia, and become a kind of bullying. For example, the largest and most organized displays of public patriotism I can think of in the 20th century took place in Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union.

When somebody silently kneels during the national anthem, or otherwise uses the flag in protest, they are not dishonoring the nation, they are hoping to hold the nation to account for injustices done under that flag. We may not agree with them, but to get bent out of shape about it is a sign of insecurity or desire to dominate. 

Well said, thanks for sharing. 

Drew Brees is allowed to have opinions that people disagree with. Opinions that the mob disagrees with shouldn’t be assaulted. Not one public figure yesterday even pretended to try to understand where Breesus came from. But that’s what they demand lol.

Lebron James is the biggest hypocrite loser on the planet for keeping tight lipped about China and then playing high ground. The whole NBA has no legs to stand on. 

I don’t care if Kaep or a military dude disagrees with Brees. People are not a monolith. It’s the “my black friend says” defense.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I fully supported Drew Brees statement, and his opinion. Yes, some of us are offended at the hijacking of a moment reserved for honoring the military and America. Want to take a knee ? Do it after warmups, before the kickoff, whatever. Using that moment to advance a personal grievance ( that has little basis is reality btw) is a classless move and will make some folks angry. That’s it. Some believe that their personal outrage is more important than others. That’s BS. Anyway, it’s sad to see that Brees has caved in and become yet another eunuch to the left. Since the entertainment industry is dominated by harebrained liberals, it’s not that surprising. Still , a sad day for Americans that love their country and have the utmost respect for those who gave their lives so that we could be free. Liberals want to take those very freedoms away, loot and destroy our cities, and engage in domestic terrorism. Those who wish to remain free need to fight back with everything they have. Trump needs to send the military in and restore order. 

1 hour ago, Wacka said:

Singers- Shut up and sing

Actors- Shut up and act

Athletes- Shut up and play.

If only. Literally cannot watch anything these days. The groupthink is embarrassing. Now even sports shows are about liberal protests? 

I don't mind if people kneel during the anthem. That’s your right.

That time is dedicated to honoring those who've fought to preserve our liberty, including all minorities who've fought in our wars.

If you don't think that liberty is being upheld, go ahead and kneel. If your tired of everyone saluting the soldiers and then turning their back on those same soldiers, go ahead and kneel.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, LeGOATski said:

I don't mind if people kneel during the anthem. That’s your right.

That time is dedicated to honoring those who've fought to preserve our liberty, including all minorities who've fought in our wars.

If you don't think that liberty is being upheld, go ahead and kneel. If your tired of everyone saluting the soldiers and then turning their back on those same soldiers, go ahead and kneel.

We know it’s their right. That’s not even up for debate. Anyone can do it, it just makes them a disrespectful d-bag in the eyes of many. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

We know it’s their right. That’s not even up for debate. Anyone can do it, it just makes them a disrespectful d-bag in the eyes of many. 

I've always found the false gratitude to be more disrespectful.

After hearing "thank you for your service" so many times, you recognize who really means it.

People who find the kneeling disrespectful are just having trouble coping with the differences, IMO. Its a symptom of the pack mentality.

31 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The groupthink is embarrassing.

it sure is

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, LeGOATski said:

I've always found the false gratitude to be more disrespectful.

After hearing "thank you for your service" so many times, you recognize who really means it.

People who find the kneeling disrespectful are just having trouble coping with the differences, IMO. Its a symptom of the pack mentality.

The pack mentality of liberals won’t be allowed to trample our genuine respect. Or that we find the kneeling disrespectful, regardless of its “ stated purpose” . It has no place during that specially reserved moment. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Or that we find the kneeling disrespectful

Do you find kneeling with attention to the flag more disrespectful than pissing and singing in the bathroom during the anthem?

Do you find kneeling with attention to the flag more disrespectful than some jackass pretending he is banging symbols together during the anthem?

Do you find kneeling with attention to the flag more disrespectful than someone running from concession stand to concession stand to find their favorite IPA during the anthem?

Your outrage is misplaced.

• Like (+1) 1

So know a knee is a good thing?  Damn this ***** is so confusing. 

1 minute ago, Warren Zevon said:

Do you find kneeling with attention to the flag more disrespectful than pissing and singing in the bathroom during the anthem?

Do you find kneeling with attention to the flag more disrespectful than some jackass pretending he is banging symbols together during the anthem?

Do you find kneeling with attention to the flag more disrespectful than someone running from concession stand to concession stand to find their favorite IPA during the anthem?

Your outrage is misplaced.

And your outrage against his outage is misplaced. 

WORST

CONTROVERSY 

EVER!!!