Drew Brees: Controversial comments

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

He could have easily said: 

“listen, I have a long history with my famipy

in the military and will always stand for the anthem. But my friends and teammates have a different experience in this country. We have to stop persecuting black people. Institutional racism is a real problem. I understand why they feel differently about it”

But he didn’t do or say that, so here we are. 

Exactly. There is a really easy answer here and he missed it. "I was raised to respect the flag and the anthem, but I understand why Kaepernick did what he did." That's all he has to say. It's a softball question and he struck out. No one is saying Brees or anyone has to kneel for the anthem. Just make a small effort to understand the issue.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Shooter McGavin said:

Did you really just tell another man what to say and how to act? What country is this?

Huh? Not even a little. I’m not demanding anything of DB. There was a much better way to talk about the issue and voice his opinion. He didn’t do that, and hence the jury is in session. And rightfully so. 

I'm a white male, my girlfriend is black, my brother is a police officer. I'm not an authority on this topic, I can just share what the hell has been going on the last few days from these various perspectives.

My girlfriend is from a predominantly white area, she is highly educated, she has flat out said multiple times she does not know where she fits in society. She feels her own people do not accept her and she will never be fully accepted by white people. When we first started talking about this I had no idea how sensitive the topic was. I mean we joke about race constantly.

What I learned from this is if religion and politics could make a baby and form the mecca of all things you don't throw your opinions at recklessly this would be it.  I have given up any attempt to FULLY understand how she feels. I never will and never could. I'm a white male. It is that simple. This is not even remotely about a flag to black people, they do not feel in anyway that they're dishonoring former military. If you understand that, great, if you don't understand that, great. All sides of the coin are free to express themselves. Brees is a public figure, he could have chose to stay on the sidelines if he wanted, he chose not to. I'm sure some people are happy he did express his opinion, that said it should not be the least bit surprising the black community roasted him in doing so.   

Edited by KzooMike
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Drew Brees has done a lot of good things. I don’t believe Drew Brees is a good person. Those things aren’t the same. He’s charitable. He’s a phony. Those are both true. He just had a rare misstep in the public eye. He accidentally showed everyone who he is. He’s done that a few times (suing his mom, Focus on Family, anthem protest). This isn’t “out of character” for Brees; this is who he is. He usually just is better at protecting his image.

this is it right here. Honestly the FotF stuff is enough for me to say Brees is a fraud.

5 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Did you really just tell another man what to say and how to act? What country is this?

Believe it or not public figures actually have to watch what they say and how they act all the time. Brees isn't your crude uncle on Facebook. He's a leader of a football team comprised mostly of black men in a city with a large black population. Someone asked him how he felt about a quiet protest over institutional racism and he decided to talk about how great a patriot he is. If you don't understand why that upsets people you're not trying to understand. It has nothing to do with anyone's feelings about the national anthem and flag. It's an attempt to divert the conversation to an "issue" that doesn't actually affect anyone.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

What an incredibly witty response. Tell me what to say and think next time since that’s what your mob cares about. 

Thankfully our troops are tougher than you.  Otherwise the enemy wouldn’t even need weapons.  They could just all kneel in front of a flag, and everyone would curl up into a ball and cry.

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Please read my posts before responding to them. Thanks.

I did. It contained the same, old recycled garbage. Drew Brees needs to watch every word he says because we’re living in a world where martyrs have criminal rap sheets and multiple drugs in their system 

Just now, Billl said:

Thankfully our troops are tougher than you.  Otherwise the enemy wouldn’t even need weapons.  They could just all kneel in front of a flag, and everyone would curl up into a ball and cry.

I really hope you’re not a comedian. 

3 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

we’re living in a world where martyrs have criminal rap sheets and multiple drugs in their system 

Okay, I see what's going on here. You just had to go and reveal yourself.

Moving on.

• Like (+1) 4

12 hours ago, billrooter said:

So as a white person Drew Brees now has no right voicing his opinion, one that I agree with. Racism goes both ways, it just isn't covered so thoroughly by the media when it is the other way around. This is a complete S&it S%how in my opinion. What exactly did he say that was wrong, the National Anthem IMO is never a place to protest?

Here is the thing...and why you are very much wrong in this post.  You are not wrong in what the anthem means to you.  You are not wrong in what you choose to do during the anthem.  But you are categorically wrong in feeling everyone one else should share your OPINION and personal experience of what the anthem should mean to them.  

Its more than ok to believe in standing for the anthem, but I am willing to bet you don't stand for the anthem at home or at bars and only do at live games like 99% of the people who are upset at not standing during the anthem.  Again, nothing wrong with that either.  

But, its also more than ok for someone to have a different experience of the anthem and the issues that still are present in our country for minority individuals.  Its more than ok for someone to feel change needs to happen, and see the anthem as a way peacefully express their voice for that change to social injustice.

Not everyone thinks about the military when they hear the anthem, nor is that the purpose of the anthem.  Not everyone feels the anthem and its lyrics properly represent the modern country given there are still oppressive lyrics in the song that are hurtful to those of color.  Just like how people in the south enjoy the confederate flag as a symbol of their heritage because they grew up watching Dukes of Hazard or listening to country music where it was prevalent.  Doesn't change the fact that the confederate flag was actually the symbol of a political party that was fighting for the right to keep slaves and legally Lynch black folks.  And to the black community, the flag and symbols carry that darker connection.  

What Drew Brees said wasn't terrible by any means, he was honest about what the anthem means to him and his deep connection to military from his own life experiences, and they were all fine reasons.  What he did that was terrible, was PROJECT that connection across everyone else and not feel others have the right to feel differently or express different emotions.  His biggest crime was two fold with the second being utterly terrible judgement and timing in sharing his personal take and belief everyone should honor it the way HE does during such an emotionally charged time.

So...no disrespect, your personal views for yourself are more than ok.  But you projecting to demand others do the same as you would is where you are wrong.  There are no rules in life to how people experience things.  Everyone has different lenses shaped through lifes experiences.  And I bet you have never lost a family member or loved one because of the color of their skin...you were not harassed or arrested because of the color of skin...your people were not enslaved to build this country...your people were not divided in schools, restaurants and busses not that long ago.  So you cant ever have the same perspective as a black athlete will have with that very much in their family history and their day to day lives.  

So rather than hate those whose life has given them to a lens to see something different than you, how about we all try empathy and try and understand why they feel this way and give them the American Right of Freedom of Speech and Expression to make their own decisions and express their voices in their own ways.  

God bless.

PS:  I feel like Brees words were not ill willed and his apology was sincere.  I do not have an issue with Brees even though I feel strongly that his original statement was a poor decision and lacked any kind of self or social awareness in how it would make him look and affect those around him.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I did. It contained the same, old recycled garbage. Drew Brees needs to watch every word he says because we’re living in a world where martyrs have criminal rap sheets and multiple drugs in their system 

How’s this… If Drew Brees doesn’t want people to respond at what an asshat he is then he should phrase things differently or keep things to himself. He has a right to his opinion. When he shares his opinion because he wants other people to hear said opinion then other people have the right to respond.

Colin Kaepernick used to sit. Then a member of the military told him that kneeling would be more respectful, while honoring his protest. Again, a member of the military told him this. Could you point to another situation in life where kneeling is considered disrespectful? He literally says he doesn’t mean to be disrespectful and changed his action not to be disrespectful.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/06/01/colin-kaepernick-kneeling-history/%3foutputType=amp

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

That is pitiful. Thanks for exposing your true colors. It will save a lot of time in the future. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Augie said:

He doesn’t make me uncomfortable at all. Who said that? If you want to be political at work, you will probably be gone. Pretty simple, really. 

I said it.   You are the one wishing he wouldn't bring it to "work".  Why?  Obviously it bothers you.  Own it.  And yes politics are talked at work all the time.  No one gets fired.  It is called having respect for other opinions.  He is not taking a ***** on the flag.  He is kneeling.  Is that less respectful than standing drunk for the flag? 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Drew Brees has done a lot of good things. I don’t believe Drew Brees is a good person. Those things aren’t the same. He’s charitable. He’s a phony. Those are both true. He just had a rare misstep in the public eye. He accidentally showed everyone who he is. He’s done that a few times (suing his mom, Focus on Family, anthem protest). This isn’t “out of character” for Brees; this is who he is. He usually just is better at protecting his image.

The mother conflict is a little more complicated than you are making it out to be. Note attached link.  One version of the conflict is that he didn't want her to be his agent and represent her. And included in that story is that she had a history of financial shenanigans/deceit. As I'm sure you are well aware that family dynamics can be very complicated and difficult for outsiders to fully comprehend. 

I strenuously disagree with the beliefs of Focus on Family which he subscribes to, especially the anti-gay fixation. But there are a lot of people who base their beliefs using religion as the basis of their beliefs. They are entitled to their beliefs. Just because I don't subscribe to their restrictive views doesn't mean that they aren't entitled to have them. 

As far as his view on the anthem issue it is a stand that many people have. He took a stand on an issue that he narrowly framed within a military context without the wider context. And as others have said he demonstrated a tin ear in not carefully expressing himself on this topic in this volatile environment after a public murder. 

My worry is that in this social media reflexive response and manufactured outrage twitter world the pendulum can swing to a damaging point of stifling discourse and not allowing unpopular opinions from being expressed. It's not unusual that an opinion that is currently derided by the majority can in the future become a prevailing view.  

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/death-of-drew-brees-mother-ruled-a-suicide-112109

Edited by JohnC
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

He pointed out that Drew Brees had options for how to respond, including options that would express his personal beliefs while respecting his teammates different experience.

Do you feel that's a problem?

Obviously, since Drew Brees isn't here, he didn't literally tell "another man what to say and how to act" but he did express an opinion about it.  I think that's allowed; it seems common enough.

Drew Brees expressed an opinion.

Other people had a reaction to it - pissed them off mostly - and they expressed theirs.  That is how it works - in this country. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I said it.   You are the one wishing he wouldn't bring it to "work".  Why?  Obviously it bothers you.  Own it.  And yes politics are talked at work all the time No one gets fired.  It is called having respect for other opinions.  He is not taking a ***** on the flag.  He is kneeling.  Is that less respectful than standing drunk for the flag? 

You can say whatever you want. You are wrong. It doesn’t make me uncomfortable at all. It didn’t mess up my life. I hope and pray he’s happy with how it turned out for him. I don’t wish any ill will upon anyone.

If I used my platform working at a bank to promote my politics, it would last less than a day. This is not water cooler talk. This is taking the most visible platform available on national TV. If he wants to talk in the showers.....cool. How you do not see the obvious difference, I have no idea. Whatever. 

Edited by Augie