Drew Brees: Controversial comments

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

From one politician to another:

I saw a rather moving Facebook post where a wife was writing about her Black husband and what a marvelous man he was - brought up in a strict family, never in trouble, staunch Christian, great husband and father, good provider.  He went to put fuel in her car one night as a thoughtful gesture.  The white woman at the opposite pump called 911 and reported him as suspicious, the police showed up, surrounded him, questioned him, questioned him more, told him he fit the description of a suspect in a crime.  What was the description "a black man".  Nothing her husband could say, no information he could offer about where he lived, who owned the car etc etc was persuasive.

What was persuasive?  The words of a white bystander who pointed out the the police that her husband had driven up to the gas pump from a different direction than that where the crime was reported: "The officers released my husband after this. Not because my husband told them multiple times he was innocent. Not because there were two car seats in the back of my car. My husband's voice meant nothing. The only voice that penetrated those badges was a white one. My hard working, kind hearted, silly husband was guilty because of his skin and there was absolutely nothing he could do about it."

The analogy.

I mean, I guess it's good that Brees spoke up here?

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FWIW, Drew is back to being an icon in New Orleans. 

Marvelous.  Is he back to being an icon with his teammates and around the league?

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Marvelous.  Is he back to being an icon with his teammates and around the league?

I mean there are a lot of goat emojis flying around twitter at the moment lol. The guy is teflon. I’ve made my opinion on Brees pretty clear on here. I think that his actions are self-serving and he’s fake. With that being said, I’m surprised that he went at Trump. I’m sure that he weighed the pros and cons but it was surprising to me nonetheless. We will see how this all plays out I guess...

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I saw a rather moving Facebook post where a wife was writing about her Black husband and what a marvelous man he was - brought up in a strict family, never in trouble, staunch Christian, great husband and father, good provider.  He went to put fuel in her car one night as a thoughtful gesture.  The white woman at the opposite pump called 911 and reported him as suspicious, the police showed up, surrounded him, questioned him, questioned him more, told him he fit the description of a suspect in a crime.  What was the description "a black man".  Nothing her husband could say, no information he could offer about where he lived, who owned the car etc etc was persuasive.

What was persuasive?  The words of a white bystander who pointed out the the police that her husband had driven up to the gas pump from a different direction than that where the crime was reported: "The officers released my husband after this. Not because my husband told them multiple times he was innocent. Not because there were two car seats in the back of my car. My husband's voice meant nothing. The only voice that penetrated those badges was a white one. My hard working, kind hearted, silly husband was guilty because of his skin and there was absolutely nothing he could do about it."

The analogy.

I mean, I guess it's good that Brees spoke up here?

If it was on Facebook, it has to be true!

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you're missing the parable which applies regardless of the truth of said post

No, I’m not. I just think it’s wrong to make up sensationalist stuff just to try and influence / rile up people. (Oh and I’m aware of who the greatest current offender of that is)

1 hour ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

If it was on Facebook, it has to be true!

There are countless stories like that one. If you don't believe them or if you don't see the difference in how certain people are treated by the police, you're not trying to understand.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There are countless stories like that one. If you don't believe them or if you don't see the difference in how certain people are treated by the police, you're not trying to understand.

Just because I don’t buy everything I read on the internet doesn’t mean I’m not capable of realizing there are still problems at hand that need to be addressed and fixed. And embellishing or just plain making up stories to further an agenda (even if it’s well intentioned) doesn’t help anyone In the long run, and that goes for both “sides”.

I’m sure plenty are true, to me that one just didn’t seem to pass the smell test. Maybe I’m wrong and it’s totally factual, but In general there’s tons of non verifiable garbage that gets posted on social media so I always take it with a grain of salt. 

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not the one you're asking, but I think to move forward, we need to create police accountability.  I'm a simple Hapless, and I see that as the root of the problem.  I don't think you can change what's really inside people's heads and hearts too easily.  But you can create a climate where if they're caught using improper force they will suffer real career and criminal consequences.  In the past, when accountability arrived - when people realized they could be tried and convicted for crimes they previously did with impunity, those crimes stopped.

So to be upfront, TLDR - just hopping in here

It needs to be abolished the system is performing the way in which it was designed. This is the quick answer and will strike fear in many people, but there are many issues that need to be tackled.

First systemic racism has to be tackled and dismantled, this is the wheel that keeps it all moving; it needs to break. From there you have to have a real discussion as to what do you do with the generations of black people who are stuck with in or various portions of the cycle and how do you lift them out. The term everyone hates, reparations, does to a degree change this, but it is not nearly enough to assist the people that the system broke. How do you assist the person who has become addicted to drugs due to the depression they encounter in life for not being able to provide for their family, those who did not have a fair chance in America, who didn't receive a good education, who grew up in a broken home from parents who were incarcerated for hustling etc. This is not easy by any means to help shore up such a weak part in society. How do you help the psyche of our black brothers and sisters, who have to plan every interaction every day and every minute of their lives?

Once (or in conjunction with) this cycle being broken, you have to address the entire prison industrial complex. This is where you get into policing

image.thumb.png.2d62202bbbfd6bc4a029cc8d98ad9d77.png

image.thumb.png.90366a0092dc15bef02ed4f0dab657f5.png

image.thumb.png.c3279187327cfc937ecf2dbec360647c.png

image.thumb.png.64a3bed896bb16de1cabf21c0d0da14f.png

image.thumb.png.a97fcd007de8800f614fe9261762794a.png

image.thumb.png.f8fc514a83234abdd78c1e1ffd5a29c0.png

image.thumb.png.dc35f2bcff0d5be471a0a9b11609f479.png

sorry I had to chop it up, the size limitations for posting are freaking annoying.

here is the website

http://criticalresistance.org/abolish-policing/

I never expected that I would be leaning this way, but it is the most logical way forward. The current system was designed to do all of this. The uphill and true battle is to dismantle not only all of this, but the companies who rely on prison labor as well and their lobbyists. This is not a simple solution by any means. This actually might make a really discussion thread, if we can keep political views out. I have been off the board for a little bit (my choice) and figured I should jump all the way back in LOL

15 hours ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

This a national movement, that has Minneapolis already dismantling their police force,changing their response to emergency calls, moving to neighborhood action groups. Defunding is a knee jerk reaction to George Floyd's murder. The cities that cut funding will be a litmus test on revolutionizing law enforcement. 

It needs to be torn down, the entire system is working as it is designed.

11 hours ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

What you're missing bud, is these cops are being diminished. While I'm sure you would justify frontline health care workers getting extra compensation, you couldn't care less about the people you desperately need if someone throws a brick through your window. Picture someone saying what you do is not important and we've decided, no raises, no overtime. Don't let your emotions cloud your appreciation for law enforcement. Ask a cop how he feels about defunding the police force. Don't believe me. The cops should get more funding. Where is the training for better policing coming from.When you were sheltering in place, cops were putting on their big boy pants, and going to work. Defund your local Buffalo police force and get back when no one wants to live there.

This is wrong, police budgets have been growing and they have been spending the money on more militarization, which is not their function or role in society. The system as it is designed to fix "crime" and "crime" is in the areas that are being protested now because of the systemic racism that has been going on forever; the redlines, the lack of loans, lack of education, the turning to hustling to make ends meet, turning to drugs to drown the pain of being kept down by the machine and the damage to your psyche of self worth as a person solely because the color of your skin put you in a system that was designed to do just this. Fine you want equal rights, you can have it, but we will Fugg you a different way. The entire police system as it is when talking about going to the communities and developing relationships, more training, more police, better body cams, more prosecution doesn't change much of anything. Not only do you see issues with Police, there are police unions, DAs who won't bring charges, the coroner is Minny ruled it was natural causes, mayors and governors are scared to act against the police industry because of what you just pointed out.

You do this to us, try living without us is a bs argument and is akin to

giphy.gif

You can't tackle policing and what I favor abolishing it, without fixing the systemic racism system and battling the corporations that profit off of it (includes police with illegal seizures of money and for-profit policing of ticket quotas and all that crap)

On a personal note, i can't believe I became this guy...

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Brees post to Trump tells me he has been listening. Even if that's all his copywriter, he's still approving this message. This is a good response. It's also why I never believed Brees was "canceled." One blunder like that can easily be forgiven and over-written with proactive statements and actions.

I think he was rightfully embarrassed, and taken to task. And he was willing to listen, and absorb the message. I don't see a need to villify him further. We don't need more enemies. This is about getting people to wake up and see reality instead of insisting on fiction.

It'd be nice to see Jake Fromm or Josh Allen or any of the other white Bills brass be as vocal and direct, instead of just offering vague support while the black teammates do the real work.

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

sorry I had to chop it up, the size limitations for posting are freaking annoying.

here is the website

http://criticalresistance.org/abolish-policing/

I never expected that I would be leaning this way, but it is the most logical way forward. The current system was designed to do all of this. The uphill and true battle is to dismantle not only all of this, but the companies who rely on prison labor as well and their lobbyists. This is not a simple solution by any means. This actually might make a really discussion thread, if we can keep political views out. I have been off the board for a little bit (my choice) and figured I should jump all the way back in LOL

It needs to be torn down, the entire system is working as it is designed.

If you tear down the system and get rid of all the police,  anarchy will ensue

The east side of Buffalo, where I am all the time, would turn into a cluster****

I would not want to be around that.

On the flip side, there needs to be better trained police officers, and the system needs to have a lot of changes on a national scale.. militarization of the police force is not what is needed

Edited by Buffalo716

9 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I find these notes fantastic dialogue and appreciate Hapless working hard to keep it cool.

let me tell you folks about me a bit.
We moved quite a bit as Dad was Consulting Prof Engineer. So projects. year here year there.
 1st grade i think begins the formative years about social awareness and expectations.

I attended Military School in Atlanta Georgia after being raised up in Ohip mostly till then. It as amazing.
1968. All white school. I realized later.
Olympic pool and a f'g  planetarium. Uniform with clip on tie. Very formal indeed.
Then in 70 we moved to Leland Mississippi . A Job Corp project to manufacturing expand a Manufacturing Plant and create jobs. and wow school was really different I already . 
 and i already knew everything they were teaching me ( Leland was an old cotton town )
 It was quite early i knew this was not Atlanta when the store owner came out of the store and told the black man to get moving. and he had a shotgun.

But i am just a white kid.

Rode my bike to the Other side of town one day. Whole police dept was looking for me.
really never understood it back then.

My best friend was Choochie. Wore a Packers Helmet when we played in the yard.
Then we moved to New York which still freaks me out
 Back then i had no idea

to be contrary to the defunding of Police? I do not think that is it is defunding,  If anything we need more. They all work too much OT to cover shifts.

But Officers of a different sort. Trained to de escalate and leadership committed that. with compassion a bit ?

I really liked the Old School method of Officers living in the neighborhood. Maybe i watched too much Andy Griffith Show : )
 sorry for the long note

so many good read in this dialogue

Good stuff 

You’re a class act 3/12.  I appreciate you sharing part of you’re story, and I echo you’re sentiment about Hapless trying to keep all of us civil, but allowing for a good discussion.  Given the length and replication of this thread three times,  posters obviously want to discuss their concerns.  Most people have made polite posts and in many ways not agreeing with each other or just in part, and that is one of the greatest parts of this country.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

What you're missing bud, is these cops are being diminished. While I'm sure you would justify frontline health care workers getting extra compensation, you couldn't care less about the people you desperately need if someone throws a brick through your window. Picture someone saying what you do is not important and we've decided, no raises, no overtime. Don't let your emotions cloud your appreciation for law enforcement. Ask a cop how he feels about defunding the police force. Don't believe me. The cops should get more funding. Where is the training for better policing coming from.When you were sheltering in place, cops were putting on their big boy pants, and going to work. Defund your local Buffalo police force and get back when no one wants to live there.

well you’re completely FOS and obviously don’t live here currently. And using ridiculous examples to boot:

someone throws a brick through my window in the middle of the night. “Can I file a report?”

”Nah you don’t support cops enough, sorry we can’t do anything.”

you’re DCTom’ed in my book. The two cops implicated in the shoving of this old man here make a combined >$200,000/year. Miss me with this “we don’t pay/fund them enough.” You’re completely wrong.

2 hours ago, GregPersons said:

Brees post to Trump tells me he has been listening. Even if that's all his copywriter, he's still approving this message. This is a good response. It's also why I never believed Brees was "canceled." One blunder like that can easily be forgiven and over-written with proactive statements and actions.

I think he was rightfully embarrassed, and taken to task. And he was willing to listen, and absorb the message. I don't see a need to villify him further. We don't need more enemies. This is about getting people to wake up and see reality instead of insisting on fiction.

It'd be nice to see Jake Fromm or Josh Allen or any of the other white Bills brass be as vocal and direct, instead of just offering vague support while the black teammates do the real work.

some god-tier backpedaling by Brees. That contract and that Wrangler endorsement must be worth more than Trump’s approval at this point.

very fine timing as well - hours after the commissioner put out the statement that they (and Brees) were wrong. Wow, so brave, i’m tearing up. 

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, brooklynbill said:

Wow. Nothing more entertaining than listening to white men opine on their victimization. If white players kneeled for "right to life" your boy Archie Bunker in the white house would cream in his depends. Jeery Jones would give them a standing o.

Welcome to the board.

8 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I would bet money that week one of the regular season (assuming it happens, and there are people in the stands) Drew Brees takes a knee during the anthem.

Make that money!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2020/06/odds-of-drew-brees-kneeling-during-the-national-anthem.html%3foutputType=amp

• Haha (+1) 1