Drew Brees: Controversial comments

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If I may ask, step away from the Confederate monuments.  I should have edited that out from prev. post.  It's a whole nother worm kettle, and doesn't have the direct "flag disrespecting flag" connection.  But  I was shocked, driving through small towns in the S Tier/Finger Lakes region, at how many of confederate battle flags I saw on display, usually hung in windows of rather dilapidated housing, sometimes in vehicles.  When I had occasion to talk to people associated with the latter, they did not appear to have any Southern about them.  I refrained from commentary about their choice of decor.

I'm not the one you're asking, but I think to move forward, we need to create police accountability.  I'm a simple Hapless, and I see that as the root of the problem.  I don't think you can change what's really inside people's heads and hearts too easily.  But you can create a climate where if they're caught using improper force they will suffer real career and criminal consequences.  In the past, when accountability arrived - when people realized they could be tried and convicted for crimes they previously did with impunity, those crimes stopped.

This thought makes me think of the formation of OSHA.  Before OSHA, workers were treated like garbage.  Didn't want to die on the job due to unsafe conditions...we'll replace you.  Can't make it to work because you have a life threatening illness...gone.

I think what you mentioned about accountability is the key.  I'm a nobody. In my everyday life, I don't encounter much diversity to be honest (aside from my wife and children lol) and I don't feel like I can do much.  But those that CAN do things are elected officials who will champion REAL change that leads to more accountability.  If people are not happy with the way things are....get the heck out there and VOTE.  If there are no candidates that align with someone's ideals...then people should get out there and find business owners, community leaders, etc. who DO speak for them and encourage them to run for local, state and federal government.  To me, that is where change really happens.

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

I have no problem with players kneeling. I agree with Reid, kneeling is almost a respectful gesture. Where the players are completely wrong is them thinking this is enough. Kneeling for the National Anthem right before they are about to make more money than I make in 6 months does nothing to me. Kneeling in order to collect endorsements is not only laughable, it disgusts me. Ironically, they are the disconnected ones. Get intimately involved with your community. Bring people together. Have tough conversations with both sides. Get your hands dirty. 

Kaepernick originally just sat in the background on the bench while the anthem was going on until he received criticism that sitting was disrespectful. That's when he started kneeling.

I can't think of a more harmless, peaceful, silent way to protest, personally.

On 6/4/2020 at 8:15 AM, billrooter said:

So as a white person Drew Brees now has no right voicing his opinion, one that I agree with. Racism goes both ways, it just isn't covered so thoroughly by the media when it is the other way around. This is a complete S&it S%how in my opinion. What exactly did he say that was wrong, the National Anthem IMO is never a place to protest?

Wow. Nothing more entertaining than listening to white men opine on their victimization. If white players kneeled for "right to life" your boy Archie Bunker in the white house would cream in his depends. Jeery Jones would give them a standing o.

Edited by brooklynbill
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

Kaepernick received his Nike endorsement deal after being out of the NFL for years. He played his last down in 2016 and the endorsement deal was signed in 2018. Again, you think this deal was due to his prowess on the football field?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m never sour against people who make more money than myself. Great for them - I actually make money myself, so I’m not resentful. My problem is that they have a very special gift to connect with people. Instead, they throw some money around and put a bandaid on the festering wound and everyone praises their commitment to the community. No amount of millions of dollars is going to fix social injustice. Not even a dollar. Guess what? After all that money spent, social inequity still exists. They need to get to the root of the problem. 

Thousands of people look up to NFL players. Some even worship them. They have a huge amount of influence, well beyond the food they send to Africa or wherever. They have the ability to step away from Twitter for a bit and sit down with community leaders and get stuff done. They can connect with children, of both races. They can bring people together to iron out perceived differences. They could probably get racists in the same room as blacks and have a positive experience. This is how they need to lead, not money. 

Dude come one...you said "they kneeled for endorsements" and then validate that because ONE guy who knelt got an endorsement deal 2 years later that was far LESS than what his NFL contract would have earned him over his career?  Then you say that was his plan?  Wow dude...just wow man.  

Look, no disrespect, but thats so absurd in logic, I dont honestly know what else to say.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Brees is trying to fight out of it like Rocky in the last round in Russia, lol

Rocky was both touching and eloquent after that fight.  One of his finest moments. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ha ha it’s amazing that he came in as the biggest villain in the Soviet Union. He left with them chanting his name. Just saying...

Nobody with two brain cells to rub together is going to be chanting Brees' name without some expletive in front of it

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

I know you don't GAF about biggest police force in the biggest city in the country , but its reeling right now from lawlessness. Breaking down the defunding into the minimal difference it makes in the scheme of things is naive and it reflects your disdain for the overwhelming percentage of dedicated people that are cops. 

It's possible I may misunderstand but are you saying that requiring fiscal restraint or fiscal accountability of police departments = disdain for cops?

I can't get behind "defund the police" but it seems to me like a safe bet like many government enterprises, giving the police department more money probably does not translate directly to giving the guys on the ground more money or better equipment.  They might get some of the rise, but perhaps not even a proportionate share.  The contrapositive is that giving the department less money would probably not need to translate to less money for guys on the ground or less equipment; there are probably some other parts of the budget where cost savings could be found.  I flipped out that the Gov. of MO was cutting resources for education and senior services during the pandemic but when my social worker niece who works for the state walked through what the cuts were with me and explained them, I had to admit it actually made good sense.  No aspersion intended but when the gov't is involved there is usually some "pork" involved.

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

We have already had a civil conversation and he answered my question

I saw and left it, Thanks. 

I personally don't see it as either necessary nor sufficient to solving the problems that are the root cause of current unrest, not that it makes it a bad symbolic action.  But you can't change what's in people's hearts or how they treat people over whom they have wide latitude to use force, by moving a statue.

2 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

This thought makes me think of the formation of OSHA.  Before OSHA, workers were treated like garbage.  Didn't want to die on the job due to unsafe conditions...we'll replace you.  Can't make it to work because you have a life threatening illness...gone.

I think what you mentioned about accountability is the key.  I'm a nobody. In my everyday life, I don't encounter much diversity to be honest (aside from my wife and children lol) and I don't feel like I can do much.  But those that CAN do things are elected officials who will champion REAL change that leads to more accountability.  If people are not happy with the way things are....get the heck out there and VOTE.  If there are no candidates that align with someone's ideals...then people should get out there and find business owners, community leaders, etc. who DO speak for them and encourage them to run for local, state and federal government.  To me, that is where change really happens.

These are great points.  Thank you for making them.