Drew Brees: Controversial comments

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

When something's set in stone it doesn't always have to be said

Of course I know there's no monuments of Nazi Germany

I also know that the United States is made up of a lot of regions, and certain southern populations still hold on to some things they shouldn't

But the vast majority of Americans even white Americans, would never stand for building Confederate statues in our northern cities, or parading them around like heroes

Most recognize the stain it left on the country

Since you answered my question in good faith, I’ll answer yours the same way.  Removing all confederate monuments and flags from public display would be a good start.  I don’t think we can have a reasonable discussion about whether or not kneeling is disrespectful to the flag when the people saying it is proudly display the confederate flag.  Hell, it’s still part of the official Mississippi state flag.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

Since you answered my question in good faith, I’ll answer yours the same way.  Removing all confederate monuments and flags from public display would be a good start.  I don’t think we can have a reasonable discussion about whether or not kneeling is disrespectful to the flag when the people saying it is proudly display the confederate flag.  Hell, it’s still part of the official Mississippi state flag.

Removing Confederate statues and flags from public areas is a start

Thank you for the clear answer

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

What you're missing bud, is these cops are being diminished. While I'm sure you would justify frontline health care workers getting extra compensation, you couldn't care less about the people you desperately need if someone throws a brick through your window. Picture someone saying what you do is not important and we've decided, no raises, no overtime. Don't let your emotions cloud your appreciation for law enforcement. Ask a cop how he feels about defunding the police force. Don't believe me. The cops should get more funding. Where is the training for better policing coming from.When you were sheltering in place, cops were putting on their big boy pants, and going to work. Defund your local Buffalo police force and get back when no one wants to live there.

Check yourself, bud.  And don’t put words into my mouth.  I responded to the assertion that the $1B redirection of funds from NYPD would be catastrophic to the city with businesses shut down and general mayhem ensuing.  I gave facts.  That the $1B would be over 4 years and that it amounted to $250M/year or 4% of their $6B yearly budget.  A budget that has grown 30% since ‘14 when it was $4.6B.  I just called out BS as BS.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Of course it is. And find me Confederate monuments that are being built today to cause division?

Most of those were built a long time ago. By people not even alive

I'm a northerner, I have no Southerners in my family, no former slave owners, I don't fly a Confederate flag, I stick up for all races,  

So I've never done anything of what you say, and I don't know anybody that has. I live in the most diverse part of buffalo, we have every race and ethnicity and I love everybody

Seriously I'm asking you a question. What do we need to move forward then?

If I may ask, step away from the Confederate monuments.  I should have edited that out from prev. post.  It's a whole nother worm kettle, and doesn't have the direct "flag disrespecting flag" connection.  But  I was shocked, driving through small towns in the S Tier/Finger Lakes region, at how many of confederate battle flags I saw on display, usually hung in windows of rather dilapidated housing, sometimes in vehicles.  When I had occasion to talk to people associated with the latter, they did not appear to have any Southern about them.  I refrained from commentary about their choice of decor.

I'm not the one you're asking, but I think to move forward, we need to create police accountability.  I'm a simple Hapless, and I see that as the root of the problem.  I don't think you can change what's really inside people's heads and hearts too easily.  But you can create a climate where if they're caught using improper force they will suffer real career and criminal consequences.  In the past, when accountability arrived - when people realized they could be tried and convicted for crimes they previously did with impunity, those crimes stopped.

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Check yourself, bud.  And don’t put words into my mouth.  I responded to the assertion that the $1B redirection of funds from NYPD would be catastrophic to the city with businesses shut down and general mayhem ensuing.  I gave facts.  That the $1B would be over 4 years and that it amounted to $250M/year or 4% of their $6B yearly budget.  A budget that has grown 30% since ‘14 when it was $4.6B.  I just called out BS as BS.

I know you don't GAF about biggest police force in the biggest city in the country , but its reeling right now from lawlessness. Breaking down the defunding into the minimal difference it makes in the scheme of things is naive and it reflects your disdain for the overwhelming percentage of dedicated people that are cops. 

8 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

If you guys are not aware I am a black man living in America. I was always taught when a police officer pulls you over, roll all your windows down and keep your hands on the dash and the steering wheel........never reach in your glove compartment for your registration or in your back pocket for your wallet to get your license. When the officer asks for your license and registration you tell the officer.....my license is in my wallet in my back pocket and my registration is in my glove compartment.......is ok if I reach to get my wallet ......is it ok if it’s reach to get my registration. This is something I have to eventually teach my kids when they start driving.........how many people in here were taught this around 15-16 years old?

Street Kings, I’m sorry you were taught that and yes, I’m Caucasian.  I was taught the same as well as I have a decent amount of law enforcement in my family.  My uncle, a retired Detective, and my cousin, a Buffalo Captain both said I should do the same as you were taught as officers are scouting us by nature.  I’m not giving anyone a reason to think I’m doing something wrong.  Thankfully, I’m not pulled over almost ever because my kids say I drive like a Grandpa.  The easiest way to not get pulled over is have a functional vehicle and obey the traffic laws.  For work, I drive as in Medical Device Sales and when I’m called at the last minute to support a surgeon in a case, I always tell them it will take x number of minutes as I don’t want the ticket, take the class, and no way I can drink alcohol and get behind the wheel.  I’m now divorced so when I go out on dates, my limit is one glass of wine.

Im not blaming the persons of color whether Black, Brown, or Yellow (my daughter is adopted from China)  and it’s disgusting what happened to Mr. Floyd, and anyone else mistreated by segments of law enforcement.  I feel for anyone living with this prejudice.  Just treat people by the content of their character, not how they look.  It’s nothing more than narrow minded, ignorant thinking.  Don’t tell me it’s how you’re raised as all of us have a choice how to behave and think.  I don’t tolerate in my house, nor in my behavior.  I had one time my oldest son when in high school was watching a college game at my home with his friends, and one person made what he thought was a funny comment.  I embarrassed the hell out of my son as I told these boys they are never allowed in my house Again if I hear anything like that again.  I said, there is no room for even kidding about a narrow minded view.  I said, am I clear and made each one of them answer individually to me.  They never did it again.  That’s where you stop this stuff by not tolerating anything Like it, even benign comments.  Not in my home, ever!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Tcali said:

They have a right to kneel.But people cant also think they are spoiled rich punks. 

And when everyone kneels and puts pressure on others to do the same that is not bravery at all.

People really dont want to be lectured to by kids playing a kids game. Do I support their right to do it ? yes

kneeing down is lecturing?  Get a grip 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If I may ask, step away from the Confederate monuments.  I should have edited that out from prev. post.  It's a whole nother worm kettle, and doesn't have the direct "flag disrespecting flag" connection.  But  I was shocked, driving through small towns in the S Tier/Finger Lakes region, at how many of confederate battle flags I saw on display, usually hung in windows of rather dilapidated housing, sometimes in vehicles.  When I had occasion to talk to people associated with the latter, they did not appear to have any Southern about them.  I refrained from commentary about their choice of decor.

I'm not the one you're asking, but I think to move forward, we need to create police accountability.  I'm a simple Hapless, and I see that as the root of the problem.  I don't think you can change what's really inside people's heads and hearts too easily.  But you can create a climate where if they're caught using improper force they will suffer real career and criminal consequences.  In the past, when accountability arrived - when people realized they could be tried and convicted for crimes they previously did with impunity, those crimes stopped.

We have already had a civil conversation and he answered my question

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Tcali said:

They have a right to kneel.But people cant also think they are spoiled rich punks. 

And when everyone kneels and puts pressure on others to do the same that is not bravery at all.

People really dont want to be lectured to by kids playing a kids game. Do I support their right to do it ? yes

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493be7b148e5744aa3042c

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here is the thing...and why you are very much wrong in this post.  You are not wrong in what the anthem means to you.  You are not wrong in what you choose to do during the anthem.  But you are categorically wrong in feeling everyone one else should share your OPINION and personal experience of what the anthem should mean to them.  

Its more than ok to believe in standing for the anthem, but I am willing to bet you don't stand for the anthem at home or at bars and only do at live games like 99% of the people who are upset at not standing during the anthem.  Again, nothing wrong with that either.  

But, its also more than ok for someone to have a different experience of the anthem and the issues that still are present in our country for minority individuals.  Its more than ok for someone to feel change needs to happen, and see the anthem as a way peacefully express their voice for that change to social injustice.

Not everyone thinks about the military when they hear the anthem, nor is that the purpose of the anthem.  Not everyone feels the anthem and its lyrics properly represent the modern country given there are still oppressive lyrics in the song that are hurtful to those of color.  Just like how people in the south enjoy the confederate flag as a symbol of their heritage because they grew up watching Dukes of Hazard or listening to country music where it was prevalent.  Doesn't change the fact that the confederate flag was actually the symbol of a political party that was fighting for the right to keep slaves and legally Lynch black folks.  And to the black community, the flag and symbols carry that darker connection.  

What Drew Brees said wasn't terrible by any means, he was honest about what the anthem means to him and his deep connection to military from his own life experiences, and they were all fine reasons.  What he did that was terrible, was PROJECT that connection across everyone else and not feel others have the right to feel differently or express different emotions.  His biggest crime was two fold with the second being utterly terrible judgement and timing in sharing his personal take and belief everyone should honor it the way HE does during such an emotionally charged time.

So...no disrespect, your personal views for yourself are more than ok.  But you projecting to demand others do the same as you would is where you are wrong.  There are no rules in life to how people experience things.  Everyone has different lenses shaped through lifes experiences.  And I bet you have never lost a family member or loved one because of the color of their skin...you were not harassed or arrested because of the color of skin...your people were not enslaved to build this country...your people were not divided in schools, restaurants and busses not that long ago.  So you cant ever have the same perspective as a black athlete will have with that very much in their family history and their day to day lives.  

So rather than hate those whose life has given them to a lens to see something different than you, how about we all try empathy and try and understand why they feel this way and give them the American Right of Freedom of Speech and Expression to make their own decisions and express their voices in their own ways.  

God bless.

PS:  I feel like Brees words were not ill willed and his apology was sincere.  I do not have an issue with Brees even though I feel strongly that his original statement was a poor decision and lacked any kind of self or social awareness in how it would make him look and affect those around him.

I feel like this is the picture perfect response to someone who disagrees with you while remaining neighborly and kind. While I hold some different views than yours (not all, but just a few) I certainly respect yours and I find posts like this refreshing, honest, and sincere. I hope I, and others, can learn from this level of thoughtfulness. God bless you

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

On 6/4/2020 at 6:39 PM, FLFan said:

This is tortured logic at best.  Intent or perspective is irrelevant?  They are entirely relevant and the absolutes you claim simply do not exist.  Kneeling for the anthem is only disrespectful to service members for those believe that to be true.  I have spoken to many current and former service members who would vehemently disagree with your interpretation and tell you that that is what they fought for.  Many from all walks of life and all races would disagree with you.  It is not an absolute.  Legitimate non-violent protest of social injustice is in fact the whole ball of wax when it comes to freedom in America.  This point continues to elude many people.  

• Like (+1) 1

I have no problem with players kneeling. I agree with Reid, kneeling is almost a respectful gesture. Where the players are completely wrong is them thinking this is enough. Kneeling for the National Anthem right before they are about to make more money than I make in 6 months does nothing to me. Kneeling in order to collect endorsements is not only laughable, it disgusts me. Ironically, they are the disconnected ones. Get intimately involved with your community. Bring people together. Have tough conversations with both sides. Get your hands dirty. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I find these notes fantastic dialogue and appreciate Hapless working hard to keep it cool.

let me tell you folks about me a bit.
We moved quite a bit as Dad was Consulting Prof Engineer. So projects. year here year there.
 1st grade i think begins the formative years about social awareness and expectations.

I attended Military School in Atlanta Georgia after being raised up in Ohip mostly till then. It as amazing.
1968. All white school. I realized later.
Olympic pool and a f'g  planetarium. Uniform with clip on tie. Very formal indeed.
Then in 70 we moved to Leland Mississippi . A Job Corp project to manufacturing expand a Manufacturing Plant and create jobs. and wow school was really different I already . 
 and i already knew everything they were teaching me ( Leland was an old cotton town )
 It was quite early i knew this was not Atlanta when the store owner came out of the store and told the black man to get moving. and he had a shotgun.

But i am just a white kid.

Rode my bike to the Other side of town one day. Whole police dept was looking for me.
really never understood it back then.

My best friend was Choochie. Wore a Packers Helmet when we played in the yard.
Then we moved to New York which still freaks me out
 Back then i had no idea

to be contrary to the defunding of Police? I do not think that is it is defunding,  If anything we need more. They all work too much OT to cover shifts.

But Officers of a different sort. Trained to de escalate and leadership committed that. with compassion a bit ?

I really liked the Old School method of Officers living in the neighborhood. Maybe i watched too much Andy Griffith Show : )
 sorry for the long note

so many good read in this dialogue

Good stuff 

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

I have no problem with players kneeling. I agree with Reid, kneeling is almost a respectful gesture. Where the players are completely wrong is them thinking this is enough. Kneeling for the National Anthem right before they are about to make more money than I make in 6 months does nothing to me. Kneeling in order to collect endorsements is not only laughable, it disgusts me. Ironically, they are the disconnected ones. Get intimately involved with your community. Bring people together. Have tough conversations with both sides. Get your hands dirty. 

Man, I was with you on the first 2 sentences...then it tailed off into a puzzling direction.

They did not kneel to get endorsements, how can you even suggest that to be true?  They lost all their endorsements from kneeling and even lost jobs.  Not sure what you are talking about here, this seems to be a bit short sighted.  Did Nike eventually turn the corner and decide to support the movement and Colin, yes.  But there was a lot more lost than gained through kneeling before that happened and Colin would have made a LOT more money had he never kneeled.  He did not do any of this, nor did the other players, for money.  

This is what I don't get...when people change the value of the message based on how much money you perceive they make.  Do you even know the amount of pain, work, and sacrifice it takes for an athlete to reach the highest levels of sports?  It just bothers me so much when people automatically pass judgements on athletes because of what they fought their whole life for to earn and achieve...what they worked, bled, sweated, and battled through pain to achieve.  An NFL roster spot is one of the rarest career options in the world, only the best of the best make it and over 99% of those who dream of it will fail to get there.  

And furthermore, Colin had given both his time and millions to kids and his local communtiies before he ever started kneeling.  He has done more and given more (both before the kneeling and after) than this whole board combined and a lot more than most athletes do.  This is why I never agree or understand the backlash he got over "money".  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Man, I was with you on the first 2 sentences...then it tailed off into a puzzling direction.

They did not kneel to get endorsements, how can you even suggest that to be true?  They lost all their endorsements from kneeling and even lost jobs.  Not sure what you are talking about here, this seems to be a bit short sighted.  Did Nike eventually turn the corner and decide to support the movement and Colin, yes.  But there was a lot more lost than gained through kneeling before that happened and Colin would have made a LOT more money had he never kneeled.  He did not do any of this, nor did the other players, for money.  

This is what I don't get...when people change the value of the message based on how much money you perceive they make.  Do you even know the amount of pain, work, and sacrifice it takes for an athlete to reach the highest levels of sports?  It just bothers me so much when people automatically pass judgements on athletes because of what they fought their whole life for to earn and achieve...what they worked, bled, sweated, and battled through pain to achieve.  An NFL roster spot is one of the rarest career options in the world, only the best of the best make it and over 99% of those who dream of it will fail to get there.  

And furthermore, Colin had given both his time and millions to kids and his local communtiies before he ever started kneeling.  He has done more and given more (both before the kneeling and after) than this whole board combined and a lot more than most athletes do.  This is why I never agree or understand the backlash he got over "money".  

Kaepernick received his Nike endorsement deal after being out of the NFL for years. He played his last down in 2016 and the endorsement deal was signed in 2018. Again, you think this deal was due to his prowess on the football field?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m never sour against people who make more money than myself. Great for them - I actually make money myself, so I’m not resentful. My problem is that they have a very special gift to connect with people. Instead, they throw some money around and put a bandaid on the festering wound and everyone praises their commitment to the community. No amount of millions of dollars is going to fix social injustice. Not even a dollar. Guess what? After all that money spent, social inequity still exists. They need to get to the root of the problem. 

Thousands of people look up to NFL players. Some even worship them. They have a huge amount of influence, well beyond the food they send to Africa or wherever. They have the ability to step away from Twitter for a bit and sit down with community leaders and get stuff done. They can connect with children, of both races. They can bring people together to iron out perceived differences. They could probably get racists in the same room as blacks and have a positive experience. This is how they need to lead, not money.