Drew Brees: Controversial comments

1 hour ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Sometimes libertarian dads also kind of give "the talk", but from a kind of different angle of course...as soon as I got my license dad told me "Cops have the ability to end every argument or disagreement with a gun. You will lose that argument every time. Don't start it. Be polite, do what they say."

And honestly I seem to recall learning the windows down/ engine off (AND STEREO, always blows me away to see people keep cranking tunes as they walk up)  "rule" in driver's ed, but maybe the guy at Sears was just dropping his own knowledge, I don't know if that was actually taught to others in driver's ed.

I’ve been advocating for a return to rigorous teaching of civics in our schools, but for many reasons (most contrived and deliberate, but that’s another story) we’ve left an entire generation on their own to learn about governmental constructs and the roles various departments and agencies play. What does this have to do with your post? One of the things I’ve been advocating for is including instruction on how to interface with LEOs in the course of our day.

Of course that cuts both ways. There has been a dearth of training of LEOs in this country in many jurisdictions. Not all, but many. And I see that as the crux of the issue. That and the fact that so many LEOs can’t or won’t live in the communities they serve. Officers need to be seen in plain clothes as ordinary people supporting local businesses and not strictly as a uniformed enforcement officer in a squad car. It used to be that way in many communities. 

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There are varying degrees of phonies. Brees is, and has been for over a decade, a fraud. His image has been carefully crafted and manufactured to protect his future political aspirations. The reality is he isn’t a great dude. He’s no different than anyone else despite the moral high ground that he pretends to stand on. He was just exposed on a much larger scale for the phony that he has always been.

So, you’re saying Joe D was right all along! I knew it!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There are varying degrees of phonies. Brees is, and has been for over a decade, a fraud. His image has been carefully crafted and manufactured to protect his future political aspirations. The reality is he isn’t a great dude. He’s no different than anyone else despite the moral high ground that he pretends to stand on. He was just exposed on a much larger scale for the phony that he has always been.

What just got him in hot water sounded practiced and like he was running for office. Too bad (for him) that he failed to understand the moment and spin it a little. 

53 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Now that you mention it, I do recall being taught in Driver's Ed how to behave when stopped by a police officer (turn off engine, engage parking brake, turn off radio, roll down window, keep hands in sight, speak respectfully).   So maybe it was part of the curriculum Back in Da Day.

The perspective from the relatives, though, was from the POV of having relatives in LE: "they have a difficult job, they never know when they're going to encounter a crazy or violent person so they are always on edge, make their job easier, make it clear you are not 'that guy'.  Be respectful, say "sir" (not many women police in their day), keep your hands in sight, tell them what you're going to do before you do it."

What I recall from Drivers Ed was the head of the traffic department getting in front of a bunch of 16 year olds and telling us that in 26 years he’d only seen one person pulled over for speeding not going at least 10 over, and that guy they were just looking for an excuse to nab him. WELL, the speed limit just went up 10 for me, but it was a “hard cap”. 

My “uncle Leonard”, who wasn’t really an uncle but fit in the family somehow, was a cop shot and killed on duty when I was young. Someone got his partners gun and he got shot. I’m not defending any bad acting cops, but you never know which guy is going to be the crazy one from your worst nightmares. That has always been in the back of my mind since an early age. I have fortunately had very little interaction with the police, but I make it as easy as possible for them. 

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

What I recall from Drivers Ed was the head of the traffic department getting in front of a bunch of 16 year olds and telling us that in 26 years he’d only seen one person pulled over for speeding not going at least 10 over, and that guy they were just looking for an excuse to nab him. WELL, the speed limit just went up 10 for me, but it was a “hard cap”. 

My “uncle Leonard”, who wasn’t really an uncle but fit in the family somehow, was a cop shot and killed on duty when I was young. Someone got his partners gun and he got shot. I’m not defending any bad acting cops, but you never know which guy is going to be the crazy one from your worst nightmares. That has always been in the back of my mind since an early age. I have fortunately had very little interaction with the police, but I make it as easy as possible for them. 

Ours told us 10%. 

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Peoples Opinions on WHEN to use your Rights DO NOT MATTER.  And instead those Opinions are really what is Disrespectful 

People are allowed to use their rights whenever you want to, but you have to accept the consequences of your actions (which includes the opinion of others).

Just like I can say whatever I want, but depending on where I am, I could lose my job for comments when I am at work, or receive a backlash on this message board because of replying to you if people don't agree with me.

Kapernick (sp?) decided to sit/take a knee when he was on the job.  You are allowed to do that, but accept the consequences of your actions.  He did it intentionally (just like the cops/pig socks at work) because he wanted to be provocative.

Well, he brought a whole poopstorm down on the NFL and now he doesn't work there.  Actions have consequences.

If Kapernick held a press conference when not at work and wanted to express his grievances, that would have been more proper and he might still be on an NFL roster.         

Edited by hjnick

58 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Drew Brees, or Peyton Manning?

Edited by Rico

1 hour ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Yeah the ask for get your license/tell them before you do it, is stuff I picked up later too. I certainly get the idea of putting the cop at ease and keeping every interaction as easy and friendly as possible. I make no excuses for bad cops, but the way I see some people, of all colors, start off a law enforcement interaction...wow.

I have my license and registration in my hands on the steering wheel before they even get out of their car when I've been pulled over.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s a sweeping statement and I debunked one example you gave in minutes.  There are looming budget crises in innumerable cities due to the economic slowdown caused by COVID-19.  Police departments are usually impacted the least when cutbacks happen, but they probably won’t dodge them this time due to the magnitude of the budget shortfalls. Rightly, some people have pointed out that under these circumstances PDs should have to shoulder some of the burden. Others do seem to want to do so as a punitive measure.  While I would be wary of using budget cuts punitively, they’ll probably happen this year for economic reasons alone.  Those cuts shouldn’t be confused with punitive ones and it should be up to each city to prioritize their spending.

You are correct, cities are allowed to spend their money any way they like.

I have not heard the reason for the cuts is COVID-19.  The only thing I have heard is they are going to move those monies to other initiatives.... so it is not lowering the budget.

So it looks like a kneejerk reaction to the whole 'defund police' calls.  So, it looks punitive.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, LB3 said:

I have my license and registration in my hands on the steering wheel before they even get out of their car when I've been pulled over.

See I used to do that too, then I figured, why lean over to the glovebox or go into my pockets (looks suspicious I guess, I get it, could be grabbing a gun/hiding contraband etc).

2 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

See I used to do that too, then I figured, why lean over to the glovebox or go into my pockets (looks suspicious I guess, I get it, could be grabbing a gun/hiding contraband etc).

Yeah. I considered that but if I figured if my hands are up on the steering wheel by the time they're close enough to see my hands on the wheel it would be fine. Plus I keep my registration in the center console for just that reason.

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Peyton as a person...could be talked into either as the player

Peyton and Archie spent a lot of money and effort in coaching/reforming his image from the early 2000’s (ie. ‘me- first’, throwing teammates under the bus), as well as the BS he pulled at Tennessee: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-peyton-manning-squeaky-clean-image-built-lies-article-1.2530395%3foutputType=amp

Hard to believe that Drew is a bigger POS than him.

Edited by Rico

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

Peyton and Archie spent a lot of money and effort in coaching/reforming his image from the early 2000’s (ie. ‘me- first’, throwing teammates under the bus), as well as the BS he pulled at Tennessee: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-peyton-manning-squeaky-clean-image-built-lies-article-1.2530395%3foutputType=amp

Oh he is

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LB3 said:

Yeah. I considered that but if I figured if my hands are up on the steering wheel by the time they're close enough to see my hands on the wheel it would be fine. Plus I keep my registration in the center console for just that reason.

I don't keep my car clean enough to do that....I'd lose it or my son would blow his nose on it or something! ?

• Haha (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Rico said:

The Manning Estate was built on the nutsack stained foreheads of countless women.  

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

I live in NYC. Debasio is universally hated by Dems and GOP. He has alienated NYPD to the extent that they say they feel no support from city Gov't. He now cuts funding, which will effect overtime, headcount and benefits and sensitivity training programs. Why would any rational person put their life on the line to become a cop in that environment.?

See my previous comment on the finances of the NYCPD.  I don’t GAF about Debasio.  But the reality of the finances versus the mischaracterization of them here and elsewhere is ridiculous.  Cliffs notes: $4.6B budget in 2014 up to $6B now.  The proposal to redirect $250M per year, or about 4% of the drastically increased budget, for 4 years is hardly going to have a big impact.  Learn your facts. 

12 hours ago, Billl said:

We don’t allow slavery anymore.  Today, we just fly the flag of the losers while crying that blacks are disrespectful to our veterans by kneeling. You know what’s disrespectful to our flag?  Flying the confederate flag. 

I'm a northerner, I have no Southerners in my family, no former slave owners, I don't fly a Confederate flag, I stick up for all races,  

So I've never done anything of what you say, and I don't know anybody that has. I live in the most diverse part of buffalo, we have every race and ethnicity and I love everybody

Seriously I'm asking you a question. What do we need to move forward then?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
generalized political discussion of monuments excised
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

See my previous comment on the finances of the NYCPD.  I don’t GAF about Debasio.  But the reality of the finances versus the mischaracterization of them here and elsewhere is ridiculous.  Cliffs notes: $4.6B budget in 2014 up to $6B now.  The proposal to redirect $250M per year, or about 4% of the drastically increased budget, for 4 years is hardly going to have a big impact.  Learn your facts. 

What you're missing bud, is these cops are being diminished. While I'm sure you would justify frontline health care workers getting extra compensation, you couldn't care less about the people you desperately need if someone throws a brick through your window. Picture someone saying what you do is not important and we've decided, no raises, no overtime. Don't let your emotions cloud your appreciation for law enforcement. Ask a cop how he feels about defunding the police force. Don't believe me. The cops should get more funding. Where is the training for better policing coming from.When you were sheltering in place, cops were putting on their big boy pants, and going to work. Defund your local Buffalo police force and get back when no one wants to live there.

Just now, Billl said:

I noticed you didn’t answer the question, though. Given your family history, I’m certain you know the answer.

When something's set in stone it doesn't always have to be said

Of course I know there's no monuments of Nazi Germany

I also know that the United States is made up of a lot of regions, and certain southern populations still hold on to some things they shouldn't

But the vast majority of Americans even white Americans, would never stand for building Confederate statues in our northern cities, or parading them around like heroes

Most recognize the stain it left on the country

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1