Drew Brees: Controversial comments

27 minutes ago, Needle said:

I believe that the black community is in need of significant help. I am willing to be a part of the solution even if it means less for me. I think police reform is in order and I would support any kind of improvement suggestions. However I don't think police reform is high on the list of things that would help the black community. I also think a blanketed statement of "defund the police" is pointless.

The term Black lives matter is not offensive to me nor is it meaningful. I don't think it means much nor do I think the movement is helping our poor. The black community has been taken advantage of once again by both parties. I have disdain for Republicans and Democrats.

Sorry for the political stuff. I know it doesn't belong here.

Go Bills?

Fair enough. 

Apologies for the snark previously.

Go Bills indeed!

53 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

pos Drew Brees and his 'military respect' bs

This from the guy who once compared the CBA negotiations to the Iraq War...lmfao 

Protesting for $$ is okay, otherwise Drew doesn't approve

Earlier I referenced Brees’s douchebaggery during the 2011 CBA negotiations when Joe D classified Brees as a “POS.” This bit adds to the reasoning.

I don't have an issue with what Brees said. He is entitled to his own opinion and that is what he believes in. He thinks kneeling is disrespectful and that is his right. People can argue what they want to argue. I don't have an issue with people kneeling. And I don't have an issue with people standing because they think kneeling is disrespectful either. It's their right, it's what they believe in and I personally think the backlash Brees has gotten from this is completely unnecessary 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

We really need to have more tolerance for good people saying stupid things - or at least, things we perceive to be stupid.

I believe 100% that Drew Brees is a good person. If we want an honest dialogue in this country, we can't create this tightrope that everyone has to walk verbally.  It's okay for good people to disagree on stuff. I disagree w/ Brees. I was 100% behind Kaep & other players who kneeled.  Peacefully, I might add.

The reaction to his comments is so over the top to me.  It's not like he's one of the cops who was on the scene w/ Floyd, or that all of a sudden he's this bad guy.  People need to chill. 

7 minutes ago, Success said:

We really need to have more tolerance for good people saying stupid things - or at least, things we perceive to be stupid.

I believe 100% that Drew Brees is a good person. If we want an honest dialogue in this country, we can't create this tightrope that everyone has to walk verbally.  It's okay for good people to disagree on stuff. I disagree w/ Brees. I was 100% behind Kaep & other players who kneeled.  Peacefully, I might add.

The reaction to his comments is so over the top to me.  It's not like he's one of the cops who was on the scene w/ Floyd, or that all of a sudden he's this bad guy.  People need to chill. 

The good news is that there's a simple universal solution to both of these issues.  Have the police stop brutalizing African Americans, and nobody has to worry about being allowed to kneel, and nobody has to worry about people kneeling.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Billl said:

The good news is that there's a simple universal solution to both of these issues.  Have the police stop brutalizing African Americans, and nobody has to worry about being allowed to kneel, and nobody has to worry about people kneeling.

Yep.  A really good first step is to acknowledge that this should be a goal we all share, no matter where we stand on the flag, kneeling, anthems, whatever.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billl said:

It started that way, but like anything else it’s become commercialized by sponsorships.  In this case, the DoD.  Whether it’s the song itself they’re paying for or the ceremonies surrounding it with the color guard, flyovers, salute to service, etc., the league would be missing out on revenue by nixing it, so that’s a non-starter.  (Of course not having it now would cause an even bigger uproar from he “look at me” patriot types who demand players stand for the anthems while they lie on the couch and drink beer.)

You know, now I'm getting this "lightbulb flickering" moment.  Is this the source of the perception that the flag/anthem and military service are so closely linked?

Back in Da Day, we pledged allegiance to the flag every morning in school.  We sang the National Anthem in every school assembly.  The flag and the anthem clearly were linked to the country, as symbols.

So this whole "disrespect military by not standing for anthem" thing seems craycray to me.  But younger generations .... is it that about the only time they see the flag and hear the anthem they're linked to DoD sponsored ceremonies surrounding it at sporting events, is that where the perception arises?

38 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Fair enough. 

Apologies for the snark previously.

Go Bills indeed!

No worries K-9. I think everyone is feeling the pressure. I know I need to take a good long break from the world. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s public enemy number 1 in New Orleans at the moment. This comes months after his work with Focus on the Family, a group that supports conversion therapy. 

Keep in mind New Orleans is 60% black. He can’t possibly be as tone-deaf as he has let on over the last year. That’s who he is. That’s why you haven’t seen players shocked, just mad. Brees was being called on to say something and he could have EASILY stepped around the question. “I support the cause that Kap was fighting for. I stand with him to fight systemic racism.” Now that would have been a weak response but not a tone-deaf one. He could have went right back to sticking his head in the sand. 

The point being that those guys have always respected Drew Brees the player. Drew Brees the man is not beloved by his teammates. That’s been true for over a decade.

Why do you say Brees hasn’t been loved by his teammates for over a decade?

I am not saying you’re wrong. I just literally never heard anything like that before.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You know, now I'm getting this "lightbulb flickering" moment.  Is this the source of the perception that the flag/anthem and military service are so closely linked?

Back in Da Day, we pledged allegiance to the flag every morning in school.  We sang the National Anthem in every school assembly.  The flag and the anthem clearly were linked to the country, as symbols.

So this whole "disrespect military by not standing for anthem" thing seems craycray to me.  But younger generations .... is it that about the only time they see the flag and hear the anthem they're linked to DoD sponsored ceremonies surrounding it at sporting events, is that where the perception arises?

I feel like it’s the opposite.  We’ve been bombarded with a bunch of “look at me” patriots (I think the right calls that virtue signaling) since September 11th, that it’s lost all meaning.  I mean it’s always been commercialized, but it’s now become weaponized.  The flag is EVERYWHERE.  Are people supposed to stop and genuflect every time we pass one?  At some point, people just tune it out.

Its an interesting phenomenon, actually.  It’s like Jesus and the cross.  Google “cross necklace” and you get 250,000,000 results.  It’s not even a fashion statement.  It’s been reduced to an accessory.  Nobody sees a woman wearing one and thinks “she must be very devout”.  You don’t even notice it.  It’s just sort of there.

37 minutes ago, Success said:

Drew Brees has done a lot of good things. I don’t believe Drew Brees is a good person. Those things aren’t the same. He’s charitable. He’s a phony. Those are both true. He just had a rare misstep in the public eye. He accidentally showed everyone who he is. He’s done that a few times (suing his mom, Focus on Family, anthem protest). This isn’t “out of character” for Brees; this is who he is. He usually just is better at protecting his image.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

It's a sad day when a man says he wants to honor his flag and country and loves the national anthem and he's labeled a bigot, ill-timed, racist, and weak and then players tell him to shut the F up.

No one cares that Brees loves the flag and the national anthem. That isn't the problem. The problem is someone asked him what he thought about Kaepernick's protest over institutional racism and he decided to make it about him. That has always been the problem in these discussions. Watching someone kneel during the national anthem doesn't harm you. If you were raised a certain way it might make you a little upset, but it doesn't actually hurt you. Kaepernick was trying to bring awareness to an issue that objectively harms real people.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Drew Brees has done a lot of good things. I don’t believe Drew Brees is a good person. Those things aren’t the same. He’s charitable. He’s a phony. Those are both true. He just had a rare misstep in the public eye. He accidentally showed everyone who he is. He’s done that a few times (suing his mom, Focus on Family, anthem protest). This isn’t “out of character” for Brees; this is who he is. He usually just is better at protecting his image.

Is that the same Drew Brees who sued his mother because he didn’t want her using his likeness in her campaign commercials only to profit off of a book that focused heavily on her death?

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, billrooter said:

So as a white person Drew Brees now has no right voicing his opinion, one that I agree with. Racism goes both ways, it just isn't covered so thoroughly by the media when it is the other way around. This is a complete S&it S%how in my opinion. What exactly did he say that was wrong, the National Anthem IMO is never a place to protest?

Humanity > Nationalism. Always. 

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Shame on Drew Brees for expressing his opinion on what the flag personally means to him. He should be crucified for his actions for not having the same opinion as a cookie-cutter progressive! Shame on him!

Oh, brother....

He could have easily said: 

“listen, I have a long history with my famipy

in the military and will always stand for the anthem. But my friends and teammates have a different experience in this country. We have to stop persecuting black people. Institutional racism is a real problem. I understand why they feel differently about it”

But he didn’t do or say that, so here we are. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

He could have easily said: 

“listen, I have a long history with my famipy

in the military and will always stand for the anthem. But my friends and teammates have a different experience in this country. We have to stop persecuting black people. Institutional racism is a real problem. I understand why they feel differently about it”

But he didn’t do or say that, so here we are. 

Did you really just tell another man what to say and how to act? What country is this?