Drew Brees: Controversial comments

4 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

Sorry but if you say "he is allowed this have his views leave him alone" you are basically admitting police brutality against blacks and other minorities is perfectly OK

I disagree with Brees, but that's a pretty huge leap. 

6 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

why is this thread at 12 pages already then?

every other time a (black) athlete speaks about politics folks on this forum say they should keep quiet. but with Brees he deserves to "have his opinion" even though his opinion is completely against everything the whole country is fighting for right now. 

I’m not disagreeing, but as soon as the president gets mentioned, it triggers a certain faction that then proceeds to blow up every post and the thread gets locked. I’d suggest going to the PPP forum, but I wouldn’t wanna subject anyone to that cesspool.

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I normally agree but there aren't many jobs where you have to stand for the anthem. And I don't agree that NFL players have regular jobs. There is a long history of professional athletes standing for racial equality. I mean if Kaepernick was running a banner onto the field and putting his face in the camera that would be too much but a simple silent protest like that shouldn't be banned. I honestly think the issues he is protesting are far more important than "respecting the flag." One issue is real, the other is just an emotional thing. I'm not saying anyone is wrong to respect the flag, it's a generational thing, but at the same time understand that other people look at the flag in a different light.

I’m not really even talking to the flag here. He should have the option to NOT stand for it if he doesn’t want to. As you said, the military fights and dies for these rights. Just stay in the locker room if you don’t want to stand, or find another way around it. When you’re on the job, it is not the proper time to make a display. Just my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

For the last several years I’ve gone to some tennis courts at a park almost daily. There will be dozens of people there on an average day with decent weather, and I am almost always the only white guy. I’ve always felt I was fairly open and enlightened, but one day I realized I was not as enlightened as I thought.

One of my buddies looks up toward the road and says “Hey! Look! They changed the paint job on them cop cars!” I look up and saw a cop car, but I just knew it was a cop car. There are all kinds of cop cars, local, state, troopers, sheriffs, etc. No big deal to me. He thought that was hysterical! “Hey guys, he doesn’t even know the paint jobs on the cop cars!” Apparently I was the ONLY one there who didn’t take this as a serious event. They ALL have their eyes out for the cop cars. They have a different life experience. 

That day made me stop and take notice. As hard as I may try to understand what it’s like for them, I’ll never walk in their shoes. 

I was at an event in Rochester, the twilight criteria, which is a nighttime bike race through the streets downtown. Many corporate sponsors with VIP tents, wine and cheese parties, etc. I was in one of the tents, and saw a colleague over in another tent. He happens to be a black dude. 

I wanted to show him a piece of equipment we were demoing out on the street, technically away from all the VIP tents, but still close by. We both had glasses of wine in our hands. I was all, come on dude, bring your drink, come check it out!

He hesitated and then said, “Nah, there’s a group of cops over there and I don’t want to get hassled for carrying a drink around in the street.”

Now whether he would’ve been hassled or not in this particular instance is immaterial. (He’s also a close enough work friend and this piece of equipment was tangentially related to his work too, so I’m pretty sure he wasn’t just blowing me off. :))

The fact that that was his line of thinking opened my eyes quite a bit. And I grew up in a very diverse town and have had POC around me my entire life. But even as “woke” as I think I am, there are experiences and perspectives out there that just never cross my mind. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

and our president is the leader of the biggest extremest group and biggest terrorist organization in the world, the US military! 

GTFO with that.  I'd go with Boker Huram, Isil, Al Quaeda, and the Hallmark Channel.   

16 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

Sorry but if you say "he is allowed this have his views leave him alone" you are basically admitting police brutality against blacks and other minorities is perfectly OK

Brees comments are utterly delusional and idiotic and he deserves all the hate coming towards him. he still can't understand that kneeling has nothing to do with the stupid american flag and freedom and whatever BS right wing fascists love to pretend they care about.

I don’t think that’s the case here either though. 

The dude does do a lot but he’s being tone deaf and thick headed on this particular issue. It doesn’t have to make him the devil or a supporter of police brutality. It makes him a dumbass in this moment.

17 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

Brees comments are utterly delusional and idiotic and he deserves all the hate coming towards him. he still can't understand that kneeling has nothing to do with the stupid american flag and freedom and whatever BS right wing fascists love to pretend they care about.

16 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

and now the flag is associated with right wing fascism. 

13 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

and our president is the leader of the biggest extremest group and biggest terrorist organization in the world, the US military! 

1lamwe.jpg

Here is a good quote from Brees for all you who think he doesn't have a right to express his opinion.  He does and he did.  I think people dont understand what a right means.  People do not have the right to force me to agree with everything they think.  Enjoy this quote....

"I will never know what it's like to be a black man or raise black children in America but I will work every day to put myself in those shoes and fight for what is right."

Well said Mr. Brees

While there was nothing really terrible that Brees said, it was more utterly terrible judgement and timing.  Why wasn't it terrible...because the flag means different things to different people.  So its ok that it has a deeper significant personal meaning to Brees thats rooted in military service.  Just like its ok for other athletes or fans to feel like kneeling was a significant and appropriate peaceful protest for social injustice.  

Brees crime was poor timing.  But I do applaud him for his immediate response and apology for his lack of awareness.  I felt it was sincere, and I don't think he is the villain people wanted to make him out to be.  

Now we can all as a collective world go back to hating Brady and Cheatriots instead of Brees.  I think Brees is a good dude that does a lot for his teammates, community, etc.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jimmy10 said:

I was at an event in Rochester, the twilight criteria, which is a nighttime bike race through the streets downtown. Many corporate sponsors with VIP tents, wine and cheese parties, etc. I was in one of the tents, and saw a colleague over in another tent. He happens to be a black dude. 

I wanted to show him a piece of equipment we were demoing out on the street, technically away from all the VIP tents, but still close by. We both had glasses of wine in our hands. I was all, come on dude, bring your drink, come check it out!

He hesitated and then said, “Nah, there’s a group of cops over there and I don’t want to get hassled for carrying a drink around in the street.”

Now whether he would’ve been hassled or not in this particular instance is immaterial. (He’s also a close enough work friend and this piece of equipment was tangentially related to his work too, so I’m pretty sure he wasn’t just blowing me off. :))

The fact that that was his line of thinking opened my eyes quite a bit. And I grew up in a very diverse town and have had POC around me my entire life. But even as “woke” as I think I am, there are experiences and perspectives out there that just never cross my mind. 

Totally.  One of my African-American friends invited a few of us to his house tonight for a backyard dinner and so he could talk through some of this - what he experienced growing up and how difficult a conversation he just had to have this week with his ten year-old son - he texted us that he “ruined his innocence telling him what he has to look forward to and watch out for.”  Brutal.  As his buddies we’re happy to go listen.  I encourage others to take this moment to do the same: listen.  It’s critical.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m not really even talking to the flag here. He should have the option to NOT stand for it if he doesn’t want to. As you said, the military fights and dies for these rights. Just stay in the locker room if you don’t want to stand, or find another way around it. When you’re on the job, it is not the proper time to make a display. Just my opinion. 

If he just randomly kneeled in the middle of the street people would just find him odd.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

He is not protesting during a 3rd down play.  I like that he makes you uncomfortable. That is the point.  You don't get to decide when he is actually "on the job". 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

why is this thread at 12 pages already then?

every other time a (black) athlete speaks about politics folks on this forum say they should keep quiet. but with Brees he deserves to "have his opinion" even though his opinion is completely against everything the whole country is fighting for right now. 

12 pages clearly shows the "whole country" doesn't agree on everything. Don't mind me though. As you've stated, I support police brutality because I'm not apoplectic over Drew's comments.

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Totally.  One of my African-American friends invited a few of us to his house tonight for a backyard dinner and so he could talk through some of this - what he experienced growing up and how difficult a conversation he just had to have this week with his ten year-old son - he texted us that he “ruined his innocence telling him what he has to look forward to and watch out for.”  Brutal.  As his buddies we’re happy to go listen.  I encourage others to take this moment to do the same: listen.  It’s critical.

You didn’t get a “yes sir no sir” talk about interacting with police officers?

Just now, FireChans said:

I did not.  I grew up in a white suburb with peaceful cul-de-sacs and no fear of interacting with the police.  I’m fortunate and I realize it, but it’s time for me and others like to me quietly listen to what it was like for people who grew up in a very different America.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

He is not protesting during a 3rd down play.  I like that he makes you uncomfortable. That is the point.  You don't get to decide when he is actually "on the job". 

Exactly. His employer does.

Kneeling during the anthem does not make the top 100 list of disrespectful things that go on during the anthem at a football game, yet it is talked about by many like it is the only disrespectful thing that happens during the anthem.

IMO

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I did not.  I grew up in a white suburb with peaceful cul-de-sacs and no fear of interacting with the police.  I’m fortunate and I realize it, but it’s time for me and others like to me quietly listen to what it was like for people who grew up in a very different America.

Oh, I did. And I’m white. 

I think you’re right. There are some folks who didn’t realize cops could kill you until extremely recently.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

They should teach people how to interact with police when they get their driver’s license. There should be a test and a actual mock pull over. Obviously if the person a cop pulls over says they have Covid-19 and spits in the cops face all your rights might go out the window.