Drew Brees: Controversial comments

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maybe he was flat-out attacked for being totally tone-deaf to issues that hit very very close to home for many of those players. 

I would wager that most of them have personally experienced or have family that have personally experienced what they believe to be racial profiling or racially biased policing.  A number may have lost friends to same. 

Wealth and privilege don't protect - the wife of a HOF retired football player once told me she was scared when my kid and her kid were out doing friend things late at night (movies, fast food, etc).  My kid is white.  She was concerned certain police would pull them over and cause injury to her kid because he was with a white kid.  It's not for me to tell her her fears were mistaken, though thankfully nothing happened.

I agree with most of what you said. Here's my big problem. Too many groups and individuals are using this as a cover to commit criminal acts, defame private and public property, hurt and kill innocent civilians and destroy business owners trying to protect their property. They feel justified to steal from anyone, anytime, anywhere under the guise of some movement.

The police are now paralyzed to enforce laws and protect people. Look at NYC, I saw phone video yesterday of mobs of people jumping out of cars in traffic in broad daylight to run into a Nike store and steal. The mob smashed all the windows and cleaned out the store. With no police in sight, everyone in the neighborhood jumped in, taking what they wanted.  Compound this with setting these businesses ablaze and beating or even killing anyone trying to stop them and we have multiple felony crimes.  Now we top it off with celebrities bailing the criminals out. Are we saying that this is the right thing to do. 

It's not healthy protest, it's a cover to commit felonies without repercussion,  destroy the economy, enforce curfews, create shutdowns and further damage and it will cripple the NFL and any sport relying on large public gatherings. 

Imagine being at a Bills game, the anthem plays and some kneel while others stand. Suddenly, the field is then overrun by the fans. They begin assaulting any player not kneeling. They  rush to concession stands, attacking the servers, while helping themselves to anything they want, including looting all the cash registers. They rip out the goalposts and tear up the field. They set fire to the the restrooms, then begin burning the stadium. Police are helpless to take any lethal force to stop the madness and we find out later that 50 innocent people died in the stadium. 

It sounds like a horror movie, but that is where this will escalate too if it goes unchecked. I'm all for peaceful resolution and curbing police violence against innocent civilians of any race. But I am not for neutering civic response and duty to serve and protect our citizens. Until these groups of demonstrators can separate themselves from the mayhem, they do not deserve public support.  

Edited by BillsRdue

29 minutes ago, LB3 said:

What part of his response did he state that those that kneel are beneath him?

You must be joking? Throughout his intire quote he stated AND Suggested the others were being "disrespectful." That certainly implies he thinks he is on moral high ground for his feelings, views and actions. That thus implies those others are beneath him. That is why he apologized.  

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

So you are saying those who join the military don't make that choice beforehand? They don't understand what they are doing?

I disagree. I think they do know what they are doing and they choose to join often because they want to protect our freedoms.

I wish I could believe in the degree of altruism, you want to associate with people who decide to join armed forces.

While I'm sure there will be some who do so out of the desire to protect and serve, particularly in times of conflict, I would think that there are a far greater number who do so for other more mundane reasons, especially economic ones.

Note that I am referencing contemporary times, not historic ones, where in both World Wars, even when conscripted, many would have believed they were doing the right thing.

Just now, MJS said:

So you are saying those who join the military don't make that choice beforehand? They don't understand what they are doing?

I disagree. I think they do know what they are doing and they choose to join often because they want to protect our freedoms.

Our freedoms that the govt has been taking away while proclaiming to be fighting for them half a world away? Lol you’re hilarious. Also the military has a much higher percentage of people of color in it compared to the general population, why is that? Seems to me it’s because people of color have fewer options for advancements and education when they become adults so they use the military as a way to get what they are looking for. This institution is just another in the many that is built on a form of systematic racism that gives people less options in order to persuade them into doing the will of the powerful. So please don’t preach to us that this is about freedom. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Happy said:

Who says no one can disagree with what Brees said?  He didn't...I didn't...no one else I saw said that.  What I do disagree with is people telling Brees to pipe down and silence him.  That is what it all came down to.  I totally disagree with that.

See how what works?  A completely misguided second paragraph?  Most players don't have a problem with standing for 30 seconds to honor the country that gives them the opportunity they have on game day, as well as the amount of money they are paid.  The ones that can't should try going to China or Venezuela; I have a feeling their outlook will change in a hurry.

LeBron and Steve Kerr are very outspoken about human rights. Until you ask about China. ??

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Billl said:

Pretty sure you don’t sign up to only fight for causes you believe in.  You sign up to do what you’re told.

people go into the military only because they want to be told what to do?  something about this doesn't seem right.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Reader said:

Made it to page two before someone made it about politics, not bad.

That's not even political, just a fact about how Brees was attacked with foul language and rage when his comment was neutral and not derogatory against any person or any specific race. Yet he is called out as racist by the media and other players.  

28 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

If companies want to tell their employees not to make political statements in their building, while wearing their uniform, that's their right. 

2 hours ago, billrooter said:

But the timing of those protests is what I disagree with not the protests themselves.

The fans in the stands have the right to stand or kneel or go get a beer and visit the "troughs" while the anthem is playing.

Drew Brees has a right to his opinion and others have a right to comment on his opinions.

As a business the NFL has a right to determine what it's employees will or won't do.  This is now what the issue is.

The NFL "chooses" to play the National Anthem at it's games.  It doesn't have to, but if it does it needs to decide what to do about

employees kneeling.  It would behoove the owners to once and for all come up with their employees "code of conduct" before the

season starts.  It's not any easy decision due to the fact that many of its employees may not agree with them.

Personally, as a vet who swore to defend the constitution which gives the right to protest I have no issues with a player/coach/whoever "taking a knee"

but that goes deep into what I think this country is all about.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The fans in the stands have the right to stand or kneel or go get a beer and visit the "troughs" while the anthem is playing.

Drew Brees has a right to his opinion and others have a right to comment on his opinions.

As a business the NFL has a right to determine what it's employees will or won't do.  This is now what is issue is.

The NFL "chooses" to play the National Anthem at it's games.  It doesn't have to, but if it does it needs to decide what to do about

employees kneeling.  It would behoove the owners to once and for all come up with their employees "code of conduct" before the

season starts.  It's not any easy decision due to the fact that many of its employees may not agree with them.

Personally, as a vet who swore to defend the constitution which gives the right to protest I have no issues with a player/coach/whoever "taking a knee"

Yup. I never got behind the "he's insulting america!" jargon. I think it's intentionally disrespectful, but I respect his right to do that if he chooses. I also respect the right of a team to tell him no, or to think twice before signing him as the juice may not be worth the squeeze regarding off field concerns. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

That's not even political, just a fact about how Brees was attacked with foul language and rage when his comment was neutral and not derogatory against any person or any specific race. Yet he is called out as racist by the media and other players.  

I mean had you not included the term, "liberal line" I'd agree. If you had used something like, "PC line" or "the line others seem to want" I think it wouldn't be political at all.

15 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

What?

Vietnam, Cambodia, Korea, Cuba, Central America, Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc all under the guise of protecting American freedom lol. How much freer am I because of all those wars and trillions of dollars spent and millions of innocent people that were killed that were caught in the crossfire? Don’t worry this will be my last post in this thread I can see the fragile don’t want to be challenged into thinking critically. 

Edited by Rocbillsfan1

1 minute ago, BillsDude said:

You must be joking? Throughout his intire quote he stated AND Suggested the others were being "disrespectful." That certainly implies he thinks he is on moral high ground for his feelings, views and actions. That thus implies those others are beneath him. That is why he apologized.  

I'm quite serious. He believes it's disrespectful and doesn't agree with it. You FEEL that his belief makes him think he's above them. People disagree with other people that they respect pretty often.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

As a business the NFL has a right to determine what it's employees will or won't do.  This is now what the issue is.

The hardest part is that all of the rules are collectively bargained. Part of the reason that the NBA and NBAPA have such a better relationship is because they develop the plans together. It isn’t a bunch of owners and then a union sending proposals back and forth. They engage in the process to come up with something that both sides can agree on. The NFL ABSOLUTELY has to take that approach on this subject (especially now). They were crushed the other day for releasing that statement while acting differently. If they could address the issue TOGETHER it would be infinitely more impactful. But alas...

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

I agree with most of what you said. Here's my big problem. Too many groups and individuals are using this as a cover to commit criminal acts, defame private and public property, hurt and kill innocent civilians and destroy business owners trying to protect their property. They feel justified to steal from anyone, anytime, anywhere under the guise of some movement.

The police are now paralyzed to enforce laws and protect people. Look at NYC, I saw phone video yesterday of mobs of people jumping out of cars in traffic in broad daylight to run into a Nike store and steal. The mob smashed all the windows and cleaned out the store. With no police in sight, everyone in the neighborhood jumped in, taking what they wanted.  Compound this with setting these businesses ablaze and beating or even killing anyone trying to stop them and we have multiple felony crimes.  Now we top it off with celebrities bailing the criminals out. Are we saying that this is the right thing to do. 

It's not healthy protest, it's a cover to commit felonies without repercussion,  destroy the economy, enforce curfews, create shutdowns and further damage and it will cripple the NFL and any sport relying on large public gatherings. 

Imagine being at a Bills game, the anthem plays and some kneel while others stand. Suddenly, the field is then overrun by the fans. They begin assaulting any player not kneeling. They  rush to concession stands, attacking the servers, while helping themselves to anything they want, including looting all the cash registers. They rip out the goalposts and tear up the field. They set fire to the the restrooms, then begin burning the stadium. Police are helpless to take any lethal force to stop the madness and we find out later that 50 innocent people died in the stadium. 

It sounds like a horror movie, but that is where this will escalate too if it goes unchecked. I'm all for peaceful resolution and curbing police violence against innocent civilians of any race. But I am not for neutering civic response and duty to serve and protect our citizens. Until these groups of demonstrators can separate themselves from the mayhem, they do not deserve public support.  

OK, I guess the hypothetical "Bills game" gives this a football connection, but it seems pretty out there.  I think if fans can't restrain themselves from going on the field and assaulting players, they should stay home and not go to the game. 

The problem of peaceful protests being used as a cover for violent acts, theft and destruction is real.  We lived it here in St Louis in 2014 and 2016 and we weren't the first.  But I think discussing that  is too far afield from football and should be taken elsewhere.  I don't think putting in a kind of far fetched analogy to fans running amok at a game really gives it that football relevance or ties it in enough to the topic of Drew Brees comments.

14 minutes ago, teef said:

people go into the military only because they want to be told what to do?  something about this doesn't seem right.

No.  They go in for a bunch of reasons.  The second they sign on the dotted line, it makes no difference why they signed up.  They’re doing what they’re told.  Period

10 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Our freedoms that the govt has been taking away while proclaiming to be fighting for them half a world away? Lol you’re hilarious. Also the military has a much higher percentage of people of color in it compared to the general population, why is that? Seems to me it’s because people of color have fewer options for advancements and education when they become adults so they use the military as a way to get what they are looking for. This institution is just another in the many that is built on a form of systematic racism that gives people less options in order to persuade them into doing the will of the powerful. So please don’t preach to us that this is about freedom. 

but ultimately it's still a choice.  if someone wants education and advancement, along with pay through the military, they shouldn't be shocked that they may have to follow through with some orders.  the military is a choice.  there are other ways to advance, but the military is a great way of doing it.

Just now, Billl said:

No.  They go in for a bunch of reasons.  The second they sign on the dotted line, it makes no difference why they signed up.  They’re doing what they’re told.  Period

but who has the gun to their head, telling them to sign up?  it's a choice.  not a single human who signs up for the military thinks they're going to go in and do what they want.  

Just now, teef said:

but who has the gun to their head, telling them to sign up?  it's a choice.  not a single human who signs up for the military thinks they're going to go in and do what they want.  

So then I guess they ARE signing up to do what they’re told.  You’re really talking in circles.

Just now, Billl said:

So then I guess they ARE signing up to do what they’re told.  You’re really talking in circles.

i'm really not.  you just don't have any leg to stand on here.

they are choosing to sign up.  people do it for many reasons already listed.  they're not doing it for free, correct? the military provides it's personnel with something, (whether it be education or cash) and in return, you follow orders.  this isn't hard.  don't try to make it complicated.