Drew Brees: Controversial comments

So as a white person Drew Brees now has no right voicing his opinion, one that I agree with. Racism goes both ways, it just isn't covered so thoroughly by the media when it is the other way around. This is a complete S&it S%how in my opinion. What exactly did he say that was wrong, the National Anthem IMO is never a place to protest?

• Like (+1) 8
  • Sad 7
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Oh man, seeing as the last 2 Brees threads were shut down I’m sure this one will last...

While I do think that we should have this discussion on here it can’t be on the main board. It’s WAY too divisive of a topic. Maybe PPP? Either way, this topic is going to do nothing but divide up the board and people are going to say some uncomfortable/uneducated stuff. 

I’ll just leave on this. Brees has never been the person that everyone thought. He has maintained a squeaky clean image but was never “Breesus” as some believed. There are some skeletons in that closet that have been tucked away. This may not end well for Drew...

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 13

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh man, seeing as the last 2 Brees threads were shut down I’m sure this one will last...

While I do think that we should have this discussion on here it can’t be on the main board. It’s WAY too divisive of a topic. Maybe PPP? Either way, this topic is going to do nothing but divide up the board and people are going to say some uncomfortable/uneducated stuff. 

I’ll just leave on this. Brees has never been the person that everyone thought. He has maintained a squeaky clean image but was never “Breesus” as some believed. There are some skeletons in that closet that have been tucked away. This may not end well for Drew...

Of all the dumb things that NFLers have said over the years, I don’t find what Brees said to be particularly egregious.

The real problem (for him) is that he pissed off his teammates. He needs a real Rememeber The Titans moment 

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Of all the dumb things that NFLers have said over the years, I don’t find what Brees said to be particularly egregious.

The real problem (for him) is that he pissed off his teammates. He needs a real Rememeber The Titans moment 

He’s public enemy number 1 in New Orleans at the moment. This comes months after his work with Focus on the Family, a group that supports conversion therapy. 

Keep in mind New Orleans is 60% black. He can’t possibly be as tone-deaf as he has let on over the last year. That’s who he is. That’s why you haven’t seen players shocked, just mad. Brees was being called on to say something and he could have EASILY stepped around the question. “I support the cause that Kap was fighting for. I stand with him to fight systemic racism.” Now that would have been a weak response but not a tone-deaf one. He could have went right back to sticking his head in the sand. 

The point being that those guys have always respected Drew Brees the player. Drew Brees the man is not beloved by his teammates. That’s been true for over a decade.

• Like (+1) 16

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, this is a tough one because it's 100% football related and it absolutely should be discussed on the main board.

The reason the other two threads got locked is that they quickly degraded into what really amount to personal insults and attacks on anyone with a different view than the person writing.

I would love to hear anything you feel you can share about Brees skeletons, I know you do have some connections.

I would also love to leave this thread open - even though it didn't start as neutrally as the two that were closed - but people, remember - you are talking to other PEOPLE.

The very Heart of being an American IMHO is that we accept that we can all have different views. 

• Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 8

20 minutes ago, billrooter said:

So as a white person Drew Brees now has no right voicing his opinion, one that I agree with. Racism goes both ways, it just isn't covered so thoroughly by the media when it is the other way around. This is a complete S&it S%how in my opinion. What exactly did he say that was wrong, the National Anthem IMO is never a place to protest?

Hello, part of the problem.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Hello, part of the problem.

Why because we have different opinions, are you allowed to protest on the job or during the Anthem? IMO it is a slap in the face to everyone who has ever defended our rights.

Edited by billrooter
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s public enemy number 1 in New Orleans at the moment. This comes months after his work with Focus on the Family, a group that supports conversion therapy. 

Keep in mind New Orleans is 60% black. He can’t possibly be as tone-deaf as he has let on over the last year. That’s who he is. That’s why you haven’t seen players shocked, just mad. Brees was being called on to say something and he could have EASILY stepped around the question. “I support the cause that Kap was fighting for. I stand with him to fight systemic racism.” Now that would have been a weak response but not a tone-deaf one. He could have went right back to sticking his head in the sand. 

The point being that those guys have always respected Drew Brees the player. Drew Brees the man is not beloved by his teammates. That’s been true for over a decade.

At the same time, Drew has a right to his opinion. His opinion wasn’t hateful or hurtful. More ill-timed than anything.

These guys are under a lot of pressure to speak up and use their platform, but we forget they are not MENSA members.

But yeah. 100% agree, very stupid. Especially in what could be your final year, this could fracture their locker room.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, billrooter said:

What I find interesting is the move from Drew Brees is receiving crap for his opinion, to your take here "Drew Brees now has no right voicing his opinion"

Sure, Brees has a right to voice his opinion, but if it's an opinion that his teammates or NFL players in general disagree with or even find deplorable, they have a right to voice theirs too.

Free speech does not mean Freedom from consequences.

As far as Right/Wrong, when did the National Anthem and Flag become so sacrosanct?  They are symbols.  Why can't symbols be an appropriate place to protest?

Some people see the Flag and Anthem as supporting the military and any protest as dissing the military.

They have a right to that view, but it would be nice (in the "right to voice an opinion" vein) if they could recognize that others see the Flag and Anthem as having nothing to do with the military - they are symbols of our country, and if the people in question see the country as having a systematic problem, why shouldn't they protest?

4 minutes ago, billrooter said:

Why because we have different opinions, are you allowed to protest on the job?

I'm not allowed to protest on the job, and my personal viewpoint ultimately came down to concluding that the NFL and the teams as private businesses had the right to set conditions around job performance and say to players you must stand respectfully or stay out of sight during the anthem.  They are on the clock, and IMO employers have the right to set conditions for how employees behave on the clock and on the business premises.

But that doesn't mean I agree with people who claim to protest the flag or anthem is never appropriate or hang all sorts of other stuff around it.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What I find interesting is the move from Drew Brees is receiving crap for his opinion, to your take here "Drew Brees now has no right voicing his opinion"

Sure, Brees has a right to voice his opinion, but if it's an opinion that his teammates or NFL players in general disagree with or even find deplorable, they have a right to voice theirs too.

100%

For some reason, many love to make the argument that their free speech is being infringed upon because they receive criticism.  LIke people have the right to say any dumb thing they want, but others don't have the right to call them out on it?

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As far as Right/Wrong, when did the National Anthem and Flag become so sacrosanct?  They are symbols.  Why can't symbols be an appropriate place to protest?

Some people see the Flag and Anthem as supporting the military and any protest as dissing the military.

They have a right to that view, but it would be nice (in the "right to voice an opinion" vein) if they could recognize that others see the Flag and Anthem as having nothing to do with the military - they are symbols of our country, and if the people in question see the country as having a systematic problem, why shouldn't they protest?

Yes, agree completely.  And when you shut down an avenue of peaceful protesting such as kneeling for several seconds in support of a cause, you indirectly funnel the outrage elsewhere, folks feel more powerless and less heard, and protesting takes on a more chaotic, destructive form.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I do see what your saying no doubt, but to me the Flag is a symbol many have given their lifes for and it's disrespectful to not only them but their families as well to protest during the anthem.

8 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Edited by billrooter
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billrooter said:

Why because we have different opinions, are you allowed to protest on the job?

No, because you made the segue from "Drew Brees taking crap for his opinion" to "Drew Brees has no right to voice his opinion" and put your opinion as a statement "the National Anthem is never a place to protest". 

Understand that different people have different views on that.  It doesn't make them un-American.  The very heart of being American IMHO is the Free Speech right, including the right to protest national symbols.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, billrooter said:

I do see what your saying no doubt, but to me the Flag is a symbol many have given their lifes for and it's disrespectful to not only them but their families as well to protest during the anthem.

And many gave their lives so that we may live in a free country where protests are allowed.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, this is a tough one because it's 100% football related and it absolutely should be discussed on the main board.

The reason the other two threads got locked is that they quickly degraded into what really amount to personal insults and attacks on anyone with a different view than the person writing.

I would love to hear anything you feel you can share about Brees skeletons, I know you do have some connections.

I would also love to leave this thread open - even though it didn't start as neutrally as the two that were closed - but people, remember - you are talking to other PEOPLE.

The very Heart of being an American IMHO is that we accept that we can all have different views. 

I really don’t want to go too far down that road but know a bunch of guys that were/are on that team. My ex and his ex (not Brees another player) were best friends and we became close (I was supposed to be in their wedding but it didn’t happen). He’d get a few drinks in him and start telling stories. Brees is pretty fake I’ll just leave it at that. His image isn’t who he is.

In terms of the thread this has to be tough for y’all. It’s arguably the biggest football story of the offseason and it’s so divisive what do you do? Hopefully we can all remain respectful.

My opinion is that Brees knew what he was doing. He could have stepped around it easily. Now he’s backpedaling and trying to save face because they’re burning his jersey in New Orleans!! He went from messiah to pariah in minutes. He got caught up in a moment of honesty. What’s that Maya Angelou quote? “When someone shows you who they are believe them?”

Brees knows damn well that the kneeling was never protesting the flag, military, America, etc... The idea came from a conversation with Nate Boyer, a green beret, and Kap. That’s why the backlash has come so hard. No one is asking Drew to kneel. They were asking him his thoughts on what Kapernick & co. were trying to achieve. His comments showed that he either doesn’t understand or doesn’t care to understand what the goal was. He has had years to be having conversations with guys like Malcolm Jenkins about “what can I do to help?” He could have done all of that without ever having to take a knee. 4 years later, he still believes that it had anything to do with the military? He’s either completely tone-deaf or he didn’t care to listen. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 3