Time killing, fun read on Bobby ‘the Slut’ Chandler#81

2 hours ago, dhg said:

What happened to him in 1974? Injury?

I don’t recall -he had so damn many. But he played later in the season and actually had a good year. ‘74 is when we traded with St. Louis for Bobby Moore -who became Ahmad Rashad. 3 WR sets weren’t common then and they already had JD Hill. While ‘73 was all about the Juice and his run into the record books, the ‘74 team was completely different as Fergy and the passing game lit up the AFC for a few years after.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't recall him requesting the trade to Oakland...he had a rather pedestrian game on his return to Orchard Park in Week 4 of the 1980 season; 3 catches for 87 yards.  I was at that game and and we just pummeled the Raiders on a bright, early fall day.  Recall my friend separating his shoulder diving for a football during the post-game tailgate, no doubt fueled by celebratory libations.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198009280buf.htm

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

I don't recall him requesting the trade to Oakland...he had a rather pedestrian game on his return to Orchard Park in Week 4 of the 1980 season; 3 catches for 87 yards.  I was at that game and and we just pummeled the Raiders on a bright, early fall day.  Recall my friend separating his shoulder diving for a football during the post-game tailgate, no doubt fueled by celebratory libations.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198009280buf.htm

This game got us to 4-0 and ‘ Buffalo Got a Feeling, Talking Proud’! We actually rewrote history in this game as new Raider QB Dan Pastorini broke his leg during a sack. In came the considered ‘washed up’ former Heisman trophy winner, Jim Plunkett. The rest, as they say, is History. Oakland & Houston made the huge trade of Stabler for Dante in the offseason. 

Knox didn’t favor Bobby and he knew it. He traded him to Oakland for Phil Villapiano.

• Like (+1) 1

Chandler was also my favorite player at that time. Thanks for posting that Chandler#81!

That brought back the memory of the time he said he was sitting next to a referee on a plane. The ref didn't know who he was, but in conversation was complaining of having to go to Buffalo to ref a Bills game. Bobby thought it showed the bias there was against them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Raider QB Dan Pastorini broke his leg during a sack. In came the considered ‘washed up’ former Heisman trophy winner, Jim Plunkett. The rest, as they say, is History. Oakland & Houston made the huge trade of Stabler for Dante in the offseason. 

I'm convinced that if the Bills had home field advantage in 1980, they would have gone to the Super Bowl.  Two losses to the lowly Colts squelched any chance at that. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Pete said:

I was a kid growing up in west Seneca in 70’s practicing bob Chandler tip toe sideline catch’s.  That dude caught everything 

My friends and I were doing the same just south of you in OP - we played backyard ball almost every day after school.  Kids don't know what they're missing out on these days sitting inside staring at a screen...

Edited by Haslett_Stomp
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Pete said:

I was a kid growing up in west Seneca in 70’s practicing bob Chandler tip toe sideline catch’s.  That dude caught everything 

I did the same.  He was fun to watch.

I remember one catch at the back of the end zone where he set his feet at the end line and with full extension of his body caught the pass that was a couple yards out of the end zone.  His downfield blocking for OJ and others was outstanding.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, shane nelson said:

He wrote a book about his career, I believe it was called "Any Given Sunday"  it was very good.  When the movie came out with the same name, I first thought it was about Bobby's life, clearly it was not.

“Violent Sundays”.  

Pat Toomay wrote “On Any Given Sunday”

12 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ChanBo00.htm

A fine career, featuring a 4 year span with the most receptions in the League. Never made a Pro Bowl but was clearly slighted in that regard.

Those hands!

Those toes!

We haven’t had one that good since, imo.

Those hands! 

Those Toes

THAT @$$!!!?:wub:

What a terrible trade!

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Pete said:

Yep.  Playing street ball in my neighborhood in Lancaster how many hundreds of times we'd "toe tap" our feet by the edge of the curb and reach over by the sidewalk for the catch and yell "Bobby Chandler!"

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

My friends and I were doing the same just south of you in OP - we played backyard ball almost every day after school.  Kids don't know what they're missing out on these days sitting inside staring at a screen...

I'm in love joy right now and there are dozens and dozens and dozens of kids playing basketball in the streets playing catch with a football, riding bikes, etc

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/3/2020 at 6:15 AM, Chandler#81 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ChanBo00.htm

A fine career, featuring a 4 year span with the most receptions in the League. Never made a Pro Bowl but was clearly slighted in that regard.

Those hands!

Those toes!

We haven’t had one that good since, imo.

I always thought he was as good as Biletnikoff but never got the recognition he deserved.  The Raiders knew what they were doing we they traded for him.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

This game got us to 4-0 and ‘ Buffalo Got a Feeling, Talking Proud’! We actually rewrote history in this game as new Raider QB Dan Pastorini broke his leg during a sack. In came the considered ‘washed up’ former Heisman trophy winner, Jim Plunkett. The rest, as they say, is History. Oakland & Houston made the huge trade of Stabler for Dante in the offseason. 

Best sign at Rich during the Raiders game: "Nixon for President."  You'll recall that Jeff Nixon was leading the league, I believe, in INTs in the young season and was everywhere on defense.  He only played seven games that season due to injuries but he was a terror during the early winning streak.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NixoJe20.htm

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/3/2020 at 3:42 AM, Chandler#81 said:

My favorite Bills player. Rest In Peace, Bobby.

"Thanks" for the memories Chander#81! I forgot about that Playgirl gig, LOL. But what a great player. Folks might forget that there were a few *especially* grim years in Bills history (76-77) -- truly the dark ages -- when we found out, for example, why Gary Marangi was a *backup* QB. Bobby Chandler was practically the Bills entire offense those seasons. He could be double, tripled covered and come up with the ball. Such precise route running, and those incredible hands. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, eball said:

:lol: not keeping Knox was one of his biggest “save money” blunders of all time

No doubt, but at least that was a bad football decision. Making players pay to park a half-mile from the stadium was completely ridiculous.

Edited by Rico