Time killing, fun read on Bobby ‘the Slut’ Chandler#81

Chandler was the first Bill I ever met. It was Fredonia a few days before a preseason game against,  I think, the Packers. He was on the sideline, sitting on his helmet. I tapped him on the shoulder and asked for his autograph, he looked all confused and asked "You want my autograph?!  Sure!" Always been my favorite. One of our worst trades but glad it worked out so well for him.

• Like (+1) 1

Chandler, thanks for sharing.  Those were some real early memories for me primarily the mid to late 70’s.  I do remember OJ’s 2003 season only in that my older brother and dad went nuts when the Juice hit the record.  I was three, but funny that was one of my earliest memories.  I remember, saying mom, why are they yelling so much.  She as a mom always says, never mind Danny, eat you’re vegetables.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I was a kid growing up in west Seneca in 70’s practicing bob Chandler tip toe sideline catch’s.  That dude caught everything 

It's not like we could see the entirety of the NFL back then, but it seemed like he was the pioneer of that sideline footwork.  Toes in, arms extended and fall on his face to make the catch count.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I was a kid growing up in west Seneca in 70’s practicing bob Chandler tip toe sideline catch’s.  That dude caught everything 

I was doing the same thing a few miles north of you at the Dingens St playground!

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I was doing the same thing a few miles north of you at the Dingens St playground!

And me too over in Tonawanda with Tom Day's son. He played OJ, I played Chandler. My favorite!

Edited by Rubes
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rubes said:

And me too over in Tonawanda with Tom Day's son. He played OJ, I played Chandler. My favorite!

I was tall, thin and not too fast but I could catch anything thrown at me.

LOL, I credit that skill from having 2 older brothers who chucked anything they had in their hands at me all through my childhood!

Chandler81, fun read -- thanks for sharing it. 

I didn't realize what a great athlete he was -- pole vaulting 13 feet as a high school decathlon champ, etc. This is a guy who was born too early in the run-dominant NFL of the 70s and 80s. He'd be a 100 catch slot receiver today. Seemed like a great guy with some good memories of being a So Cal kid roughing it as a rookie in Buffalo.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shane nelson said:

He wrote a book about his career, I believe it was called "Any Given Sunday"  it was very good.  When the movie came out with the same name, I first thought it was about Bobby's life, clearly it was not.

Violent Sunday’s. I have it. Detailed accounts of his many injuries and the road back.

864D53F2-3598-42CF-A8C8-FA962CB8B18A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Great story.   I'd forgotten about the Playgirl thing...

Bob_Chandler.jpg

Slut